Incredible Charts Stock Market Charting Software. Home Site Map About Us Privacy Policy Advertise (pdf) Contact Us

You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

ASX Stocks 20-minute delayed

Archive through March 13, 2002

Chart Forum » Sectors & Indices » SECTOR SAVVY » Archive through March 13, 2002

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
the pope

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 07:18 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

come ye all and welcome!..THE SS is in town..
I know uguys r out there..ssO SSTOP HIDING!

i haven't any experience with this subject so if u wanto start an analysis or something...i'll try to keep up..i've been reading STAN'S book and i've got to the chapter on sector watching..
there must be something to discuss?..
my portfolio ranges from- health,insurance,gambling,bio,mines,wells,
oh wells?,okays,forgetisawems,wishi'dknowns..um,
do's,don'ts,oh gods,and
should nevers,,,skyhi's,oh wells..
and other sundry dammits!..things haven't been the same in the fatican since this 'game' came along....well i'm sick of makindemistakes!!
gunna learn as i go, but be on the right track..
right sector,,right stocks,,right profits..right?

......watch this space......

hellooooo?

yoohoo!!

Snifter

Rating: 
Votes: 5

Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 10:23 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SECTOR ANALYSIS..My routine is this...every Saturday morning I put up a weekly chart of each sector with a 30 week EMA on it. Rising price action above the rising EMA = uptrending sector. Falling price action below falling EMA = donwtrending sector.
Having made a note of the uptrending sectors, and also the downtrending sectors for the purpose of short selling, I then overlay those sectors on a chart of the All Ords by using the Price Comparison feature in Incredible Charts. This gives me a visual presentation of which of the sectors is falling/climbing most steeply. It also shows whether the sectors are above or below the All Ords, although this is not as important as the rate at which a sector is rising/falling.
So having identified the sectors with the most potential, I then go to my workbooks that contain my watch list of stocks belonging to each sector, and do my analysis on only those stocks. This eliminates the necessity of searching the entire market, and allows me to zero in on the stocks/sectors that offer the best potential. In this way I stack the odds in my favour far more than if I was to go through the market and search at random, without basing my search on any particular criteria.
Note that I'm talking about weekly charts here, both in my sector analysis and in my stock analysis. Daily charts contain too much 'noise' for my liking, and boot you out of big trends far too early. I'll leave the daily charts for the guys who like catching small moves instead of big moves, the same guys who prefer small profits to big profits. Most of these daily chart followers will disagree with me of course, which is fine...the last thing I want is everyone trading the same way as me.
Hope this is of some help to 'the pope' and anyone else interested in sector analysis.
As a point of interest, maybe the pope would like to tell us his impressions of Weinstein's book so far.

Snifter

TSX Stocks 15-minute delayed

the pope

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 11:17 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi snifter!..thanks for joining me..
the book is good ,albeit old..basic and easily read..have you followed sectors long?...are you in front?...because i think it's the way to go..
alcohol stands out initially,,then retail transport, insurance banks etc etc..alot to get through...but i'm looking to really focus in on the best opportunity...chat soon when i see something interesting...
ciao+++++

Snifter

Rating: 
Votes: 7

Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:45 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pope...
Been following sectors since reading Weinstein's book about 18 months or two years ago. Yes I'm in front. Sector analysis is the way to go....if you're going to swim in the stock market then you might as well choose to swim only in those 'rivers' (sectors) that are in flood. Sector analysis enables me to find the flooded rivers of the stock market, i.e. the fast flowing, strongly trending sectors. The swimming gets a lot easier when you jump into one of these flooded 'rivers' and let yourself be swept along by the current.
Don't be surprised if I don't answer any posts you might put in from here on....I log into this forum only occasionally, might not come back on here for a week or two, might be back on tomorrow, depends on how the mood takes me. Spend my time trading, corresponding on trading matters with a few mates, and doing my best to enjoy life.
Not too fussed on trader's chat groups really, particularly in view of the fact that many groups contain so much childish rubbish that is in no way related to trading.

Just to get off sectors for a while, and on to another track. A few days ago I was reading interviews that had been done with numerous highly successful traders who disclosed some of their trading strategies. Of all the different strategies put forward, it was the simplest strategy of them all that impressed me most.
Here it is........
One of the traders interviewed related his experiences when he began trading as a floor trader on one of the futures exchanges in Chicago. One afternoon after the end of the trading session, he was approached by an old trader who asked him how his trading was going. He admitted to the old bloke that it wasn't going too well. The old guy replied.....'trading is easy, all you have to do is buy dips during uptrends, and short sell rallies during downtrends'.
The younger bloke adopted the attitude of 'that's too simplistic, what would this old guy know'?
But as his trading career progressed and he gained more experience, he came to realise that the old guy had been correct.

This simplistic approach works just as well today as it did back then, and it doesn't matter if the market is futures, options, foreign exchange, stocks...whatever.
It amuses the hell out of me to see guys paying $25,000 to the likes of David Bowden to learn the secrets of successful trading. The 'secrets' of successful trading are right there on their screens in front of them every day/week of the year, but they can't see them. Its not about forecasting the market, its not about having a dozen different indicators on the screen and reading the financial pages and getting advice from brokers and studying fundamentals.
Its learning how to recognise a trend, waiting for a pause or temporary pullback in the trend, and boarding the train when the pullback has finished and the trend has resumed. Its about money management, about staying in trends as long as they keep moving in your favour, its about using stop losses to cut your losses quickly when a trade goes against you, its about looking for the best performing sectors and them refusing to trade stocks that are not in those sectors.
(As a point of interest, part of Weinstein's strategy is buying dips during uptrends and selling short rallies during downtrends.)
People reckon that the markets have changed, and that what worked in the past no longer works today. BULLDUST.
Look at any chart of any stock or market going back to whatever year you like, and you'll see exactly the same patterns on charts from 40 or 50 years ago as the patterns on todays charts.
Trends, pullbacks, resumption of trends. These patterns are caused by the human psychology of traders. Human psychology hasn't changed over the years, and never will change. So the chart patterns that were there years ago are still there today, and will still be there 50 or 100 years from now.
Enough for now...I hope my prattling has been beneficial to some of you.
Snifter.

the pope

Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:57 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sure has..thanks again!..
+++++

the pope

Monday, February 25, 2002 - 08:39 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with so many sectors,is there a quick way to show which ones are in stage 2?..or do you have to look thru them all?
i thought there might be a filtering process of some kind?..ciao
+++++

Snifter

Rating: 

Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:10 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's 24 sectors. I look through all of them...it takes only half an hour or so each weekend to identify those that are in Stage 2 uptrends, and those that are in Stage 4 downtrends, (for the purpose of short selling)

Snifter

Shonky

Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pope - One could always put the all ords on a watchlist and run price comparisons for your favourite sectors against it. Once the sectors are in your watchlist, it's easy.

Colin Twiggs

Monday, February 25, 2002 - 07:57 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snifter

Your posting on sector analysis has given me an idea for Incredible Charts further development:

1) You need to be able to select all indexes and set them up as a watchlist. Most easily achieved from the stock screens.
2) Then have the ability to set up the price ratio/comparison simultaneously for all stocks on a watchlist - so each stock compares to the All Ords.

That would make the set up for sector analysis a lot easier.

Any further ideas/refinements?

Colin

GT.

Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:54 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys,great stuff,I have been a devotee since reading Weinstein and haveing Incredible Charts sent to me (last Yr).Thanks to Pope, Snifter, & Colin I now have Sectors into seperate Watchlist.So now, how do I set up Price Ratio Comparison simultaneously for all stocks on a watchlist so each stock compares with All Ords.
as suggested by Colin.
A question before I go , How come BEN & SGW Both turned South, South -East. BIG TIME !after turning out good mid-year results,The market sure moves in mysterious ways methinks!
GT.

Tany

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 02:35 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin
Is it possible to set up an auto forward button to load the next stock (or index) after a display time of 3-10 seconds in a watchlist (and hopefully a search list)?
Thanks for the spreadsheet.
Tany

Colin Twiggs

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 10:29 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tany

I have forwarded your suggestion to the development team.

Colin

Snifter

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 05:35 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Set up price comparison/ratio simultaneously on all stocks in a watchlist to compare them to the All Ords".

Col, a good idea, I don't have any suggestions at this stage about how it could be refined, I'll sing out if I come up with anything.

G.T
I reckon its wasted effort to brain strain myself trying to find out why such and such a stock did whatever it did. It really doesn't matter why BEN and SGW changed direction. Even if you knew the reasons, it wouldn't do a damn thing towards putting extra dollars in your pocket. We'll never understand the constant twists and turns of the market and the stocks that comprise it. Nor do we need to. What we need to do, in fact the ONLY thing we need to do, is recognise what the market IS doing, and then plan our strategies accordingly.
The simpler our strategy, and the less we clutter our minds by searching for unnecessary information, the better we'll trade.
Stick to the basics...its the basics that put dollars in our pockets. Chuck all the other stuff out the window where it belongs.
I've swapped an email or two with Louise Bedford, a trader and educator for whom I have great respect.
Louise told me that the simpler her strategy, the greater her profits. Every time she's attempted to add unnecessary complexities to her strategies, her bottom line has suffered.
Incidentally, Louise is a great fan of Weinstein.

Snifter.

Shonky

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 07:00 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snifter - Re BEN & SGW, I concur that analyses of their downtrends are timewasting, but, and this is but a personal opinion, it may be that the MFs are quitting stock positions far more quickly than in the past. As they're constantly under pressure to improve their(lamentable) performance,they are possibly tightening stoplosses a tad too much. A year ago, policy was to sell off 25% of a position at a time to avoid disruption,staged over weeks, but as they are far too large and a wrong decision can cost millions, the stress factor may be cutting in, with dumping being the result. Looking to place a buy order today and checking the course of sales, I had to call AOT to explain what "ou" meant.The response was - over 200,000 shares. A figure would not be diclosed until it was below 200, 000. Is this dumping??? Feedback please.

Thought for the month - how long before they start buying 51% of various companies and becoming conglomerates, rather than rogue elephants?

GT

Rating: 

Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 07:47 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Snifter & Shonky. I shall not look under the bonnet again and will concentrate on learning to drive.
Cheers GT

the pope

Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 10:28 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bonjourno all,
nice to see a few mor here...st.shonky too!..
where's that escapee from the leper colony?..
he hasn't fallen apart yet has he?..
ok..my question is...how do you distinguish between indices and sectors?...
i can find (on I.C)
plenty of indices but sectors?..are they combined?
grazie+++++

Colin Twiggs

Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 09:50 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pope

Each index represents a number of sectors.

Example: Healthcare & Biotechnology (21)
Includes:
- Pharmaceutical (211)
- Biotechnology (212)
- Hospital Management (213)
- Health/Medical Services (214)
- Health & Related Products (215)

We will post a complete list on the website - until we can get the sectors grouped under each index on the menu.

Colin

the pope

Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 10:07 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

col,
be great if we could get a chart/screen of stage 2 stocks in a rising sector..but how?
++++++

swaye

Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 02:05 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mister Snifter
great post, my belief is simplistic and seems to b working .the main idea is just go with the up flow .let the market makers start it jump aboard and pray for no gaps down
swaye

Colin Twiggs

Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 10:30 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pope

a chart/screen of stage 2 stocks in a rising sector

- I'm not clear on what you would like to see. Please can you expand on this.

Colin

the pope

Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:28 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

col,
i'm not sure what i'm saying either.....
but a stock that's rising from it's base AND is in an improving sector/indice.
i.e a rocket about to take off
++++++

the pope

Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:39 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

col,
a filter of sectors/indices...then a filter of the rising stage 2 stocks within....poss?

the pope

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 08:57 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

col,
you guys are tops!...new look is great!..
i found out about my query via price comparison..
i was already aware of comparing indicators against the sector,then realised all i had to do was compare a stock....dumb!!!!!....keep it up!!
thanx and bless use!
+++++++

Sam

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 05:30 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At last some really constructive information is beginning to be posted thanks to the efforts from Snifter etc.
I managed to get Stan's book from the local library after 3 weeks wait - read it in two days and was so impressed it has become my 'Bible' as far as share trading is concerned. So much so that I have bought a copy to ensure I have the reference available at all times. Thanks all for the inspiration and a special Thanks to Colin for a brilliant program. Keep up the good work.

gp

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 07:00 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone please till me what Mr Weinsteins book is called.Also the isbn numbers if possible.I need to do something drastically different than our current approach.

Anfield

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 07:19 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdy gp

The book you're refering to is:

Stan Weinstein's-Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets.
ISBN 1-55623-079-6 1-55623-683-2

You wont have to look for the book too hard,he'll find you instead.(The front cover will reveal what I mean)

Hey Lepe,what stage would you categorize Stanley's bouffant?

gp

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 07:36 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Anfield. hows the tradin going? Not sth like mine I suppose.

anfield

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 08:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gp,
What stocks are currently weighing you down?

gp

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 08:31 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My trading had been slowly recovering from march 2000. Then I bought MRL on fundamntals instead of charting. now back severly.

dialdan

Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:05 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Col

Have downloaded Sector Analysis according to instructions however after selecting ASX watchlist,and all indices come up, how do we then find the best perfoming sector on that watchlist...what is our next step? p.s. is this similar to Guppy's Advance/Decline index?

Al

Dynamic

Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 02:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day,

I have written a sector search in Metastock and the following sectors were selected.

Would someone please check these and confirm that they are all in an uptrend.

XAO
XBM
XDC
XDI
XDR
XEG
XEY
XFH
XIF
XIN
XME
XMI
XOM
XPP
XRE
XTE
XTP
XTU

maryrose

Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought snifters letter on Sector Analysis sound brilliant and I would like to try to impliment it but how do i find the Sectors?

Genevieve

Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 07:21 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we talking "indices" or "sectors?

There is a big difference!

Dynamic

Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 08:26 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Ladies,

We are talking Sectors, not Indices, although I don't see why you couldn't use Indices too. Apparently Stan Weinstein's book (I have ordered it, but not read it) is all the rage at the moment.

There is quite a good help file on Sectors in the IC charting package.

You can also search this board by Keyword to find a lot of relevant info.

greenspam

Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:57 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dynamic,
XIF down
XME down
XMI only just in an uptrend by my data but I am still new to this.
XAO is an indice isn't it?

the pope

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:34 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dynamic and all,just saw this(been busy).
up-xao,xtp,xtu,xin,xmi,xom,xpp,xre,xey,xeg,xdr,xdi
xbm.
down-xif,xme,xte..
i think!...
what time period do you use?
months or years?.
ciao+++++

Dynamic

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 09:54 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Greenspam and Pope,

Thanks for that.

At the moment, just using close above 30 daily ma, but want to incorporate a couople of other indicators.

XAO isn't a sector and as an index, doesn't tell you very much, but I still want to see what it is doing.

Dynamic

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:47 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day,

You both say XME and XTE are in a downtrend, but prices are above 30 dat ma. What criteria are you using to determine which sectors are up?

ric

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 04:02 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stock screening 30 day high?
How do we set up the screening screen to get the shares that are moving to a 30 day high in an up trend and a 30 day low in a down trend?
Thankyou

Anfield

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 04:24 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gents,for what's it's worth,I'll put my 2 cents in.

Since we are looking for upward trending sectors,and by definition a trendline requires at least several weeks:I use a WEEKLY chart with a 30 WEEK EMA.
One still needs to note volume concentrations,resistance/support and the like.It's not enough for the sector to move above the 30 week ema for that sector to be catagorized as upward trending.
Keeping this in mind and refering to Dynamic's sector list request,the following sectors(I believe anyway) are not in a clear uptrending pattern:

XTP,XDC,XEY,XIF,XIN,XME,XMI,XOM,XTE,XTU

For example:XTP has falling volume with strong resistance at around the 70 point level.

Now I'm relatively new to this,so I'd appreciate any feedback on my observations however harsh they may be.

rr1618

Rating: 
Votes: 2

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 05:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

o my eye, the XAO and most indices are overbought and losing momentum fast....at least as regards the ability of the short RSI (5 periods, smoothed x3 periods) to cross above the long RSI (21 day, smoothed x5 periods), during tertiary rallies. I would rate these sectors into five ordinal categories.

1. About to weaken--This group is showing failure swings and "dead crosses", This group includes XBM, XDC, XDI, XSI, XDR, XFH

2. Potentially weak sectors---IE> Most are probably nearing the end of a long UP. They are quite overbought with flagging of their Long RSI....but no "dead cross" yet. While it is true that long-risers will always be overbought, it is a concern to see RSI (21) flatten and plateau. This category includes XEG, XRE. XTP is just crabbing sideways, with no over all UP or DOWN trends.

3. Potentially strong sectors (IE. Narrow Bollingers, not overbought, but not yet rising strongly) include XIF,XMI

4. STRONG sectors,in my judgement, are XEY, XIN, XTE, {Defined as - smoothed RSI (21) still rising nicely, but not from deep in the oversold zone)

5. VERY STRONG sectors {IE- RSI 21 rising from out of deep oversold zone -- and hence possibly about to balloon)in my judgement are XME, XOM (to lesser extent)

COLIN...At least as relates to bad news in Japan, A Dow that has hit firm resistance, and XAO / XAR very tired, I see a strong correction on the ASX in the near future. Am I too pessimistic? Or is it better for us to either play the short side, or sit out, waiting for HUGE buying opportunities as the post-correcton ASX heads into stage I of the forthcoming BULL market.

Richard

the pope

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

richard,
just got here...
very interrrrrestingggggg!..
will need to do some homework before replying,but it's turning into a great forum!...back asap.
++++++

Colin Twiggs

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 07:19 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialdan

To find best-performing sectors:
1) go to stock Screens
2) Select Indices under "Sectors"
3) rank according to % Price Move
4) Submit

Maryrose

1) Check under File/Advanced that Multiple Watchlists are activated
2) Go to Watchlists/Open Watchlist and select [Sectors - ASX] - you will see a complete list of sector indexes.

Ric

The best we can do is the %of High - insert 100 as the Minimum % (this will identify stocks that have the highest close in the last month). New Lows cannot be screened with the existing setup. We are busy upgrading.

Richard

There are always (or at least most of the time) conflicting views on the market - otherwise you would have all buyers or all sellers. The Dow appears to have broken through resistance; the S&P 500 is near to its january high - a break above there signals a bull trend; the Nasdaq is showing signs of strengthening; the AOX is likely to have another tilt at resistance around the january high - if it breaks above that we could be in for another bull rally.

Colin

Colin Twiggs

Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 07:22 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[Sectors -ASX] Watchlist

Please add XHB Healthcare and Biotech that we managed to drop from the pre-set file.
A patch will be issued next week.

Colin

Xelle

Monday, March 11, 2002 - 01:07 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

I am new to the forum and have enjoyed the articles on Sector Savvy. It is great to finally find a forum that keeps trading simple with out a overwhelming discussion on every indicator conceivable.

I have a question for "sniffer" or to any that may help.

You mention short selling. What broker do you use for short selling and do they have an online trading facility for this?

I have been using AOT for buying stocks which I have found fantastic but they are now putting the pricing up, so I may reconsider.

Xelle

Colin Twiggs

Monday, March 11, 2002 - 06:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xelle

What is AOT's new fee structure?

I had a meeting last week with some brokers who will be introducing short-sales fairly soon. If no one comes up with a current broker who provides the service I will refer you to them.

Colin

Xelle

Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:14 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin

The latest pricing was $33 a trade as it was before and now a $50 a month fee if trading less than 8 trades per month.

Are the brokers you mention going to be offering short selling service online.

Xelle

Gino

Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xelle

I use Rivkin Discount Broking for Short Selling -phone only: whilst my Margin Lender, Leveraged Equities provides the stock .
While they were still around, I used to use Charles Schwab with whom you were able submit your SSell orders on-line so I'd be very interested if any body knows of any broker who will accept SSell orders on-line.

the pope

Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:05 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i suggest--
xme down,under 30 ma
xdc up..for how long?
xom looks up...
up..xtp,xey,xtu,xte
also...stage 2-xin,xmi
xif?..under 30ma.
xbm..good directionals,macd+(26).
more later..tell me if i'm wrong..
i need to learn too!
ciao+++++

Shonky

Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 06:31 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gino - can you give us the rundown on your experince with short-selling? How does it compare with normal trading? Do you drive a Ferrari or a Volvo, for example? Thanks.

swaye

Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:31 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone
what time does the ASX close officially 4.00 or when the loose ends are tied ????

Shonky

Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 06:18 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

swaye - it's in three alphabetical stages and closes fully at(I believe)4:10, apart from MFs and other trades under the cover of darkness. Don't get me started.

Gino

Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:14 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shonky - Me drive a Ferrari? I wish!! 'though if I'm getting your drift right, yeh, I do sometimes feel as though I'm a Volvo owner driving a Ferrari with this short selling caper.

How much of a run-down would you like? The in & outs of the arrangement with Leveraged Equities &/or my general approach to SSelling OR a history of successes & failures?

As an aside I'm gunna 'morph by adopting a new Chart Forum persona/user name which is more in keeping with the general feel of the forum.(I've never been keen on these things,esp. some of the garbage you'd get from the US stock forums.)I've find myself seriously chuckling on more than one occasion reading some of the stuff from regulars like yourself, lepe, dynamic & the pope.

Before I do I'll leave some cryptic comments & see if any of the crew can pick it up.

Adios

Victor

Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 08:23 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys,

A few time you mentioned stages 1,2,3 and 4.
Could you please refer to some info on the Internet regarding these stages.

Thanks

Snifter

Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:29 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gino, if you're really serious about your trading then I suggest you spend $40 and buy Weinstein's book. It'll give you a detailed rundown on the four stages, as well as lots of other excellent info that'll help you to outperform the market.
Considering the thousands of dollars that we sink into the market, $40 is peanuts to invest in educating ourselves to be better traders.
Snifter

Threads by Last Post Time:

First 0 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Visit us on:

30-Day Free Trial

Incredible Charts Pro 6
Free Download
Windows  Mac  Linux

My Account