Incredible Charts Stock Market Charting Software. Home Site Map About Us Privacy Policy Advertise (pdf) Contact Us

You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Stan Weinstein's Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets

Chart Forum » Sectors & Indices » Stan Weinstein's Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
Colin Twiggs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 11:41 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please post any comments/experiences/questions that you have about implementing Stan Weinstein's long-term trading strategies.

Colin

Crack

Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 10:51 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin, just about finished the book,what a read
beautiful for the learner like me. Gone over what I've been doing so far and changed a few things
to start implementing his teachings (with my own slant of course!)
Tell me ,is the $100 worthwhile to move on to
Dr Elder's trading for a living from here?
Are the principals similar? Do you feel the book warrants the price tag after Weinstein?
Cheers for your help?

TSX Stocks 15-minute delayed

Colin Twiggs

Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 06:37 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crack

Dr Elder focuses on short-term, Weinstein on long.
So the answer is no - stick to Weinstein's principles.

Colin

alborz

Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 05:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin

where can I buy the book ( secrets for profiting in bull & bear markets) ???

slavko

Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:17 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi alborz,
Go to any book store and ask them to order it for you.

slavko

lepe

Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 04:31 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooh ooh aah - hullo!! balloons following!!!
weinstein - you can convert to shorter term trading in any event - as he acknowledges. the principle is the same. and it does work.
elder - my next read.
crack - for me, weinstein may be for beginners, but it should be read again annually by all traders, cos the principle message is still there.
as for elder - if you've got $100 to advance your library, and you've thumbed through it at a bookstore....?

andy ferguson

Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 09:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin,
Poste a message/info reWeinstein's track record in methodology section.

regards

elleped

Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:02 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I'm fairly new to this forum.
I would like to know if people are trading better after reading Stan's book? I have just started reading it and it sounds very good, but I would like to know if the stategy works in real life on the Aust market. Thankyou for your comments Ellen

the pope

Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 11:00 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ellen,

i feel i'm trading somewhat better..i can now time my entries on stage 2 stocks instead of stage 4 losers...i have to control my emotions better, so i'm now thinking more med-long term..
short term is more exciting but it racks the nerves..you'll be better off for reading it.
ciao bella!

++++

mottley

Friday, June 14, 2002 - 01:12 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin

Re Stan's book
In chapter 8 Using Long Term Indicators
He speaks of a Stock Advance & Decline Line and also New Highs minus New Lows Differential.
Could u please advise if these can be found in Incredible Charts or any indicator that may do the job.
Rgds

phil Lucas

Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 07:04 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin,

Hi . Never written before but have read and am following (with some success) the Weinstein book. I have the same query as Mottley wrote on June 14. Does the incredible charts site have the capacity to show the Weinstein suggested indicators of "Stock advance and Decline Line" and "New Highs minus New Lows Differential"? It seems to have everything else.
Look forward to your response

Colin Twiggs

Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 09:17 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil and Mottley

We have had the Advance-Decline and New Highs-New Lows indicators on our "To Do" list for quite some time.

We have a few other development priorities at the moment but as soon as these are completed we will add a number of new indicators.

Colin

paolo

Monday, July 15, 2002 - 08:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the book and looking to use. I'm trying to assess some watch list stocks and form Weinstein stage views. Any comments on the following:
1: MAY, CML, SSX, AGL
2: TAH, AAU (early)
3: ORG, CDO, ION
4: BRL, CBA, SUN, WES, PPT, CLO

And any help on UGL & LEI??

Thanks
Paolo

bkeeling
Username: bkeeling

Post Number: 1

Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 10:36 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to Colin

Re Stan Weinstein's book
a friend of mine kindly loaned me the book and I decided to buy a copy,so, I have ordered one from AMAZON priced at $13.75 plus postage,I hope this information will help fellow charties.By the way,I was very impressed by the articals written by SNIFTER in sector savvy, also the artical by rr1618 ...a very shrewed report, it's good to read these opinions when one is aware of the eventual outcome.....Iam looking forward to live charting,at the moment Iam paying around $150 a month for live prices, it makes your $30 look cheap... why not do a survey as to how many people would subscribe, you could have several levels. eSignal are considering entering the Australian market with live local data,you could head them off at the pass.

regards Bryan

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 15

Monday, October 07, 2002 - 09:03 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bryan

We have been fortunate to receive some really great contributions from forum readers.

Live charting will be available next year. Exactly when, I can't say yet.

The subscription will have to include +/- $40.00 /month in ASX royalties, expensive when compared to the $US 1.00 /month for the NYSE or Nasdaq.

Colin

rennets
Username: rennets

Post Number: 6

Monday, October 07, 2002 - 09:32 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin,
What do you do if a stock breaks out of a Stage 1 base yet the overall market is bearish? Do you ignore it & wait for the market to enter a bullish mode or do you take a punt? eg AJ Lucas (AJL) has just done that last week but I am somewhat hesitant to buy with our market teetering on the edge of breaking through support.

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 16

Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:40 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rennets

You are right to be hesitant. Stan's First Commandment: Don't buy when the overall market trend is bearish.

Colin

bkeeling

Post Number: 2

Monday, October 07, 2002 - 01:01 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello rennets
RE ajl... I sold mine 3 sept @ .85 as they had stagnated, then they started to climb,they are a good company and worth consideration on their fundimentals but since reading chapter 2 Iam inclined to give stan's advice a try.
--------------------------------------------
colin....put me down for live charting
regards bryan keeling

stoika
Username: stoika

Post Number: 11

Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I am about 100 pages into stans book and it is by far the best read I have experienced yet on TA.
I am having difficulty working out how to assess the 'sectors'.

If I understand correctly, I first assess the all ords to see if it is bearish or bullish,and then assess the different sectors to see if they agree with the all ords.
Am i correct in assuming there are 12 sectors as per the drop down when searching sector indices on IC?
If so, then how do I assess the individual stocks within these sectors. Do I need to go through every stock to work out which sector they belong to?

I am also unable to replicate Stans Relative Strength indicator.

Is this indicator comparing the stock to the sector or to the market overall, or is it a comparison to anything you want to compare to?

I would like to replicate stans method as closely as possible with the zero line being the median point

sorry for all the questions.
All guidance appreciated

jet
Username: jet

Post Number: 15

Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 04:07 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

asx has all the info you want for free also
weblink has a very easy to use structure of sectors and data for all sectors fpos and derivatives

bkeeling

Post Number: 9

Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 05:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Stoika.
You have several questions.
SECTORS...there are 11 sectors which are then broken down into sub sections,If you receive Colin Twigg's diary (if not go to IC home page and in the bottom right corner you will see "Trading diary")On Saturday's diary,at the bottom, you will find sector analysis,if there has been any change from the previous week it will be in bold print.
I keep a chart of sorts, I list the sectors down the left side of the page, then rule across the page under each heading,then rule down to form squares big enough for a number and an arrow.
Then ,each week I insert the stage number and an arrow, pointing up for RISING,down for FALLING and horizontal for LEVEL, then using a highlighter I mark in yellow, any box that has changed to RISING and pink for any box that has changed to FALLING,in other words 1-2 yellow,3-4 pink.
After a few weeks a pattern will form, that will indicate the strength of any trend,this is useful for confirming trends, but it depends on whether you are investing short or long term,if you are trading ie buying and selling between 10 mins and 10 days,usually in special situation,such as VCR that is dependant on certain outcomes,or SIE where there are 340 buyers and 60 odd sellers and is driven by wild emotive forces,whether it is a stage 2 rising sector or stage 4 falling does'nt matter that much,you just ride the tiger.you have to have strong nerves.

If you select STOCK SCREENING MODULE (which is the graph symbol on the left side of the chart screen,) this will take you to the the stock screening page,click sectors, select the sector you are interested in,or leave it on ALL STOCKS,then choose your filters, there are examples to help you get started,then you can refine them as needed.click submit and this should give you a short list to work from, provided you have'nt set them too tightly.if you select stocks in a particular sector,eg ENERGY,this will select only stocks in the energy sector that match your (filtered)requirements.

RSI...have you tried clicking "INDICATORS" on top of the chart,the RSI indicator is pretty standard and is related to the overall market as far as I am aware.

There are a lot of wonderful companies out there with not so wonderful prices.certainly not the price they deserve,conversely,there are a lot of not so wonderful companies with prices higher than they deserve. So,if the buyers drive the price of a company beyond its worth, beware.

My experience of buying shares is limited,as I have only been buying shares since June, so please double check anything I have stated.
Another very good book is SNAPSHOT TRADING by Daryl Guppy,also his news letter is really worth the money.
Another book is TECHNICAL ANALYSIS OF STOCK TRENDS by Robert D.Edwards & John Magee also an excellent read.$200 to buy or your local library.

Good luck I hope you find the above of some use

stoika
Username: stoika

Post Number: 12

Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 01:14 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx bkeeling,
You have been a great help.
I was unaware of the sectors in Colins diary and also of the stock screening button.
I really appreciate your help and I wish you good fortune in all your trades
(thanx jet also)

travellite
Username: travellite

Friday, April 04, 2003 - 02:29 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I know this question has probably been asked many times before.
But I am new to this group
Does anyone know any sites that offer the charts that have the same indicators that Stan uses or that can be modified as such?
Thanks

bundy
Username: bundy

Post Number: 27

Friday, April 04, 2003 - 02:41 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

travellite

This site has a very effective search facility.

A search for Stan or Weinstein might very well throw up some gems for you.

---
Bundy

bkeeling

Post Number: 10

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Friday, April 04, 2003 - 05:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi travelite It sounds as though you are in the same position that I experienced last year.
I started with Incredcharts (IC) and on this forum I was asking about the +/- of AmiBroker which I found difficult, and MetaStock, when someone kindly suggested that I try FcCharts, which I did, there is a free version and the Pro version for only $95, it is amazing value, it does most of the things that metastock does, at least the things that you would need,and the owner who lives in Perth is very helpful and replies by return,
Having said that, IC are launching a new version at a small charge which, if as easy as the original may suit you better initially.
Now that you have read Stan's book you must read Daryl Guppy's books in particular Snapshot Trading
...Share Trading also Tools and Tactics for the MASTER DAY TRADER,by Oliver Velez & Greg Capra ...by the time you have read and understood them,.... you will know more about it than I do,as I have yet to read the last one (very sloowwww reader) I must not forget to mention Daryl's weekly "Tutorials in Applied Technical Analysis" about $199 pa, well worth it.(no I'm not on a %, just know how b****y hard it is)
You might also log in to HotCopper chat line for traders, we have some heated letters about stocks etc, if you do tell Viva Italia that Elvis says thanks.
good luck and wishing you nous with your mouse
regards bryan

bkeeling

Post Number: 11

Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:27 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

correction to my last post.
The chart package name is FCharts Pro and the e-mail address is :-
www.spacejock.com for the home page, sorry if anyone wasted time looking under the wrong name, another package that may be of interest is,portfolio manager, which is spreadsheet that allows you to record all relevant details of shares bought and sold, it does the calculations automatically, it's the most comprehensive program that I have seen and it only costs $25+gst
the guy that owns it runs it just as an intellectual challenge, it's written in EXCEL 97
the address is:-http://portfolioman.nom.vg/help.html

regards bryan

monty
Username: monty

Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:58 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://portfolioman.nom.vg/help.html
When I try to access this site I can only get an error message. Does anyone know how to make contact please?

Monty

bkeeling

Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 10:33 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Monty
Sorry if I have gave you a bum steer with the address,I can't get him myself now.
try this one paul.macgowan@scc.com.au
or ph 02 62998840 between 7pm & 9pm w/d 3pm 7pm w/e he works during the week.
mention bryan keeling also the guy at Fcharts is simon haynes feedback@spacejock.com they are both very helpful and understanding of novices such as myself. good luck
wishing you nous with your mouse bryan

juancho
Username: juancho

Friday, June 06, 2003 - 12:13 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys,
I've finished reading the book. Thought it was great!

Now, here is my puzzle. When it comes to stage analysis, a stock can be breaking a stage 2 when looking at a daily chart, but it may still be on its uptrend when looking at a weekly chart (by looking at daily or weekly moving averages respectively).

I understand Stan's book primarily use weekly charts because back then it was impossible to keep up with so many charts. In today's tech world, information (charts) is at our fingertips and I am a little hesitant to sell a stage 2 based on daily activity.

What are you guys doing?
Thanks in advance.

bkeeling

Post Number: 13

Friday, June 06, 2003 - 04:57 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Juancho glad you enjoyed the book
Weekly charts have a smoothing effect on what happens during the week, and the same with the MA it again irons out the peaks and troughs
if you saw the way the DOW DAX and FTSE were behaving last night, and then see in the morning paper that the DOW move up only 2.8 points you would know what I mean,just could not trade it.

Now you are ready for PROFITABLE CANDLSTICK TRADING by STEPHEN W BIGALOW or another by steve nisen sort out thier web sites and look up www.pristine.com and www.stockcharts.com

juancho
Username: juancho

Post Number: 2

Friday, June 06, 2003 - 10:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for responding Bkeeling,

I did not quite understand your position. Would you make your decisions based on weekly or daily activity? I was tempted to sell a few stocks (such as UBET) because they had daily sell signals, but not weekly ones.

Thank you.

ASX Stocks 20-minute delayed

philby
Username: philby

Post Number: 7

Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:59 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alborz

Traders Library is often much cheaper than Amazon.

http://www.traderslibrary.com

They have the Weinstein book for US$13 odd as well.

Regards

Philby
US Stocks 15-minute delayed

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Threads by Last Post Time:

First 0 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»

Visit us on:

30-Day Free Trial

Incredible Charts Pro 6
Free Download