Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
gustavo_woltmann
Username: gustavo_woltmann

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 04:46 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I decided perhaps a new thread for the psychology side of shorting the market was in order!!

I suspect we are not alone in our psychological battle, and believe you are right when you say "that with successful experience, will come the courage for shorting".

Learning TA is just the very beginning of the "how to of trading" journey isn't it?

On a scale of 1 - 10, (1 having the least knowledge and experience and 10 the most). I would say that learning technical analysis only accounts for about numbers 1 - 3!!! Scales 4 - 10 are to do with money management and the psychological aspect etc.

shadetreetrader
Username: shadetreetrader

Post Number: 499

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 06:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Gustavo, I did my first trade in the '70's & have well & truly done the 10,000 hrs practice, after this I would rate money management as the most important aspect of trading , followed by psychology then technical analysis.
You can have the best systems in the world but if you don't have good money management you will end up in the red, & likewise if your psychology prevents you from following your system or systems.
Psychology is also important for ignoring the noise from the financial press who's job is to come up with explanations for market movements, 99.9% of which are rubbish.
The best use of technical analysis is to give you a trigger to engage or disengage with the market or stock, knowing that it cannot predict anything.
Personally I haven't done any shorting since the GFC, after my broker put a stop to it!
Others in this forum frequently talk about shorting & I hope that they see this thread & contribute something.

My posts should not be taken as stock recommendations or advice.

redrover
Username: redrover

Post Number: 847

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gustavo & Shadetree, I just logged on after an absence of a quite a few years and was searching around for a thread with a 2016 date for the last post.

"Psychology of trading" is a most interesting subject and I have been watching the all-ords & AXJ200 to see if we really are in bear market.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 507

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 09:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi redrover, good to see longstanding forum members returning.
To view the latest posts I use this view: https://forum.incrediblecharts.com/active_threads.php?page=1

best view

I too like to get an idea of the bull/bear market type & am working on a tide meter

tide meter

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 818

Friday, January 20, 2017 - 07:23 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm sitting here at my desk looking out the window. On my desk is a (perfectly normal and fair) coin that I had been flipping a while. Question: can you tell me how many heads I flipped?"

This article "Wins live in the land of loss" reminds me of something that I already know, but it's nice to be reminded & it puts wins & losses in perspective.

http://adamhgrimes.com/blog/wins-land-of-loss/

(Message edited by shadetreetrader on January 20, 2017)

If the band's playing a Waltz, don't dance the Fandango.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Tradingeric127 06-May-14  02:14 pm
Personality Typesefficiency14-Mar-11  01:54 pm
The forum has rotated Elvis Presleycolin_twiggs08-Jan-11  09:05 am
Seven questions for stock tradersehmu28-Dec-10  10:58 am
Should I Become a Fulltime Trader/Investor?ehmu26 31-Oct-10  12:51 pm
FEAR AND GREED?spider87 27-Oct-10  09:21 am