You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Administrative advantages, tax sheltered accounts.

Chart Forum » Trading - Systems » Administrative advantages, tax sheltered accounts.

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
ehmu
Username: ehmu

Post Number: 559

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 04:03 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone:

I'm writing to share a recent success that will save me a lot of money when trading in my tax sheltered retirement accounts.

Here in Canada, the government has a rule for the banks that they cannot retain any foreign currencies in the "registered retirement account". They are however allowed to keep foreign equities in the account. These are accounts that are tax sheltered until such time as funds are withdrawn from the account.

Now let me explain how this has had a negative affect on my trading in the past. I trade quite a bit on the American exchanges, because I like the liquidity, and the volatility. There are just many more opportunities there as compared to the Canadian Markets. The bank (otherwise broker) charges a .65% spread each time they change money. The up shot to this is that to buy a US equity, and then sell it; the broker gets 1.3% for the two money exchanges, plus their usual commission for trading the shares.

In case you're arithmetically challenged. If you made 5% gross on the trade, and the broker gets 1.5%, then they are taking 30%+ of your gains.

So here is what I have devised and am currently testing. I sold my TZA very close to a peak, and on the same day I replaced it with a combination of UUP and UDN (equal value). Then I requested that the broker net out the FX, meaning that there was no foreign exchange charges, because they took the US dollars from the sale of TZA and applied it directly to the purchase of UUP&UDN.

When the $US goes up so does UUP. When the $US goes down, UDN goes up. The net effect is zero in my account because I have hedged against currency volatility. The most beneficial part of this strategy is that the "Bank" is not eating my breakfast lunch and dinner. Also I am sitting with a US dollar equivalent ready for my next US equity trade. I'm not having to worry about arbitrage between the $C and $US. I will sell my UUP&UDN the same day that I purchase equal value of my next puchase.

Feel free to comment if you can improve on this.

_____ n a m a s t e

Every trade requires an gorgeous seller and an ugly buyer that has enough money.

Not a recommendation to buy or sell equities
US Stocks 15-minute delayed

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
DMI billcu13-Feb-13  03:55 pm
Low Volatility Up-Trendfibonacci13 22-Jan-13  04:03 pm
Meansbillcu21-Jan-13  06:43 am
Risk Management: The 2% (or 1%) Rulesway50 20-Jan-13  06:21 pm
The Trend is the Holy Grail ?msparks15 16-Jan-13  09:44 pm
Trading Breakoutsmsparks12 16-Jan-13  08:57 pm
"Traders International" Is anyone on here using this system?colin_twiggs39 02-May-12  03:57 pm
Twiggs Moneyespresso12 25-Apr-12  03:02 pm
Cash allocation per share and max number of shares held??gamefisherman21-Mar-12  11:14 pm
Need trading system ideas.....msparks08-Nov-11  05:12 am
AK47 RECORD KEEPING & RISK MANAGMENTatpl200229-Aug-11  07:27 am
Stan Weinsteinjbulog23-Aug-11  08:26 pm
Best Automated Order Execution and Money Managementshawky07-Aug-11  04:06 pm
Four Amigos---34/13ema--smoothed mom--RSI--Ab volehmu26 23-May-11  02:27 am

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»