Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
shadetreetrader
Username: shadetreetrader

Post Number: 42

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 09:09 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've started this thread to compare different Market filters or switches and to show their current state.
The beauty of having a mechanical Index filter for your trading is that there is no agonising over what to do.
One of the most well known filters is the 50dma/200dma cross (currently off)
I have my own switch signal (call it STT for short) which is based purely on price bars and gives me weekly on/off signals.(currently off)
Then there's the Coppock entry signal (which needs a suitable exit) and probably many others.
If anyone has a favourite switch feel free to name it & contribute a chart, table or method, or if they have a good exit for the Coppock indicator I'd like to hear about it.
As the Small Ords Index behaves so differently to the big end of town I think switches should be applied to both the ASX 100 and the Small Ords.
I'll start a table & any others can be added in as we go.

market filter switch

Cheers STT

Market predictions are about as accurate as a broken clock.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 43

Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 04:11 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding Weinsteins 30 week weighted moving average to the list to see how that compares.
ON = a weekly close (as I'm only going to update this weekly) above the 30w wma + the ma slopes upward.
OFF = a weekly close below the 30w wma.

updated market switch w weinstein

Hone on..

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 45

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 12:23 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use of the Market Switch/Filter.

I do not use my own On/Off switch (STTw) to be totally in or totally out of the Market, rather I use it to indicate when to add to the portfolio & when not to add.

When the switch is off, positions are allowed to remain in the market and either be stopped out by their trailing stops or not.

The Off switch could also be used to tighten stops when the broad market is falling.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 46

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 12:55 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm adding the Coppock indicator to the list, but as it was only designed to give a market entry signal and not an exit signal, it's necessary to have it turn off at some point.
On searching various trading sites I see that quite a few systems use a cross of the zero line for both on & off signals, so I'm going to use the original design of a turn up from below the zero line for the 'on' signal and a cross of the zero line from above for it's 'off' state.

I have also added another faster acting MA crossover which is also used as a market switch, call it the '10/30dema'

7 switches

Peace & Goodwill
STT

paulhomer8
Username: paulhomer8

Post Number: 1

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 01:43 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi There

Really like these filters/switches. May i ask how you run these to provide your data.

Cheers

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 47

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 07:23 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Paul, welcome to the Incredible Charts forum.
The indicators are simply applied to a project in the charting package & then eyeballed once a week.
I put up a chart of the required Index, apply the various moving averages & coppock indicator & then display them individually otherwise the chart would be too messy.
I'll put up the charts in my next post.
Cheers
STT

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 48

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 08:27 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

50d/200d ma cross
50x200

10d/30d ema cross
10dx30dema

Weinstein 30w wma
weinstein 30w wma

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any further questions re setting up the charts or anything else.
Regards STT

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 49

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 01:47 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clarify..

filter clarification

I've been reading Colin's information on reading the market

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/technical/reading_the_market.php

and may add a MACD indication and something derived from my NHNL's tables.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 50

Thursday, December 18, 2014 - 09:00 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dates of last ON/OFF change have been added..

dates added

I'll aim to update this at the end of each week.

(Message edited by shadetreetrader on December 18, 2014)

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 57

Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 06:28 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good gains for 2 days in both Indices has not been enough to change the state of any of the filters.

filter update 201214

Nothing I say should be taken as a stock recommendation or advice.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 58

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 07:06 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The STT daily market filter has switched on..

STTd ON

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 61

Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 03:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weekly Market Filters update.

Whilst the broad Market may have been largely flat for the past year, the Midcap 50 (XMD) has gained approx 10% in the past year & 22% over the past 2 years.

It has been an outperforming Index hidden in plain sight.

Market filters 281214

msparks
Username: msparks

Post Number: 2710

Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 07:29 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very impressive chart there Sharetree

I guess the next step is to automate the results
It could be done in excel if you have the formula's for the indicators and use the yahoo automatic price data into excel

so the midcap 50 is the best place to be ?

what are the stocks in the midcap 50 ?

"I have my own unique system "
"I manage to lose money in bull and in bear markets "

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 63

Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 08:48 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Sparky, yes I would like to automate it, would you interested in a collaboration?
I sent you a pm re your suggestion to post a portfolio like you have in "Guess What !!!" & I hope you got it.
I'm impressed by anyone who is prepared to publicly post trades without using hindsight, so I'm following your thread with interest.

re your post, I don't know how much longer XMD will continue to outperform & neither does anyone else! All we can do is go on what the Market is doing & not what we think it will do.
The XMD is the XTO minus the XFL, using this I made up a watchlist of the Midcap 50, it was tedious to make so I have asked Colin in another thread if a solution can be found.
I will see if I can get the watchlist out of the Incredible Charts application & either post it here or pm it to you.

application/octet-streamMidcap 50 watchlist
a home made midcap 50 list 091214.viz (1.9 k)

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 67

Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weekly update:
With the exception of the Midcap 50, most intermediate & long term switches are still off, so no change from last week.
I have removed the short term filters as they need to be updated daily.

Mfilters 030115

My posts should not be taken as stock recommendations or advice.
My only advice is "Always be yourself unless you can be a pirate, then always be a pirate. But if you are a pirate then always be yourself!"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Do Stop Losses Really Work?scarlettsmith69474 04-Sep-19  09:31 pm
Short selling, what is it and how do you do it...rockon18-Jul-19  05:23 am
Twiggs Momentum Oscillatordydavo13 16-Jul-19  07:44 pm
I.C. Mobile App... an incredible oportunity presents...colin_twiggs37 19-Feb-18  11:02 am
Divergencespdfgh26-Jan-18  11:37 am
Trade Entry/Exit - Dollar Cost Averagingshadetreetrader41 09-Sep-17  07:49 am
Timeframe For Intraday Tradingqed07-Jun-16  10:57 pm
Weinstein Revisitedhailoh33 31-Jan-16  06:00 pm
I am no longer afraiddved15-Aug-15  03:35 am
Redline Trading Systemcolin_twiggs02-Mar-13  02:37 pm
DMI billcu13-Feb-13  03:55 pm
Low Volatility Up-Trendfibonacci13 22-Jan-13  04:03 pm
Meansbillcu21-Jan-13  06:43 am
Risk Management: The 2% (or 1%) Rulesway50 20-Jan-13  06:21 pm

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 Next Last