Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
nina2016
Username: nina2016

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 03:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to know which is the best timeframe for intraday trading.
In my trading I had started with 1 minute chart. Then 2 , 3 minute charts. Then shifted to 5 minutes chart. Then found that 10 minute charts are working well in all segments. Then found 15 minute charts are more stable than 10 minute charts. Then moved to 30 minute charts. Then found Hourly charts are more stable than 30 minute charts. Then found that 3 hour chart also giving good chart for pattern trading.
Finally I am using 30 or 15 minute and hourly charts for intraday trading currently.
Need to know which one is popular timeframe used by most of the intraday traders.

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 2181

Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:02 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Nina2016 ... Interesting question for a 1st up I.C.Forum posting. Poses even more questions to ask about your trading experience, what markets and trading time frame you are interested in.

I see from your profile you probably don't have a lot of trading experience(and I don't mean this to be disrespectful)but noted your 'revealed' age and to a lesser extent your 'location'.

Anyway, I'm prepared to offer an opinion/answer? to help you decide what intraday trading chart/tools/timeframes might be best for you to use. Having said that, please be aware that it depends on what markets you are trading(or interested in trading). Indicies and Stocks are very different to Futures and FX trading ... mainly because they have different Trading times and some are restricted to local market times and others are traded almost 24hrs/day. This is a very important thing to consider when using/choosing what timeframe intraday charts to follow BECAUSE local market only traded stocks/indicies have many gap-up/gap-down openings simply because they are closed for most of the global trading times available to, say, Futures and FX. THESE gaps affect the effectiveness of intraday technical tools since many, oscillators for example, use the last period data and close prior to the gap within their calculations... hence you often see spikes(both ways) at the close of the opening period of their readings. Simply put, many intraday oscillators can be inaccurate and create incorrect over-bought/sold levels simply because of the gap_up/dn on opening. Take a 5min RSI chart as example...At the close of the closing bar on one it may be in an oversold level BUT at the end of the 1st 5mins the next day, after a GAP-up overseas, it is immediately reversed to an extremely overbought level. Sure 5 min timeframes over the course of a few hours will smooth out that imperfection so not too bad but with a 15min or even a 30min RSI chart will take 9-21 periods to smooth out depending on the selection of the RSI period.

OK, trying very hard not to get too complex here but before I suggest, and maybe show a couple of examples of the Time Frame charts/tools I use, can I ask two basic questions...[1] what markets and exchanges are you interested in Trading? and [2] How long do you look/expect to hold trades using intraday charts? ... for example 2-4 days, 4-14 days or no time frame.

To offer a bit of encouragement to come back I'll reveal that I like(d) to use 4min/20min/60min timeframes for ASX/NYSE Stocks BUT 5min/20min/60min/240min for Futures and FX.

Cheers
Dolphin

P.S. I wish I had started trading at your age!

(Message edited by gdd3 on April 14, 2016)

tryhay
Username: tryhay

Post Number: 1447

Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:57 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi nina2016 & Dolphin,

I see your question is about the "best time-frame for intra-day trading".

No matter what indicators you use I suggest that you google "How to Trade Stocks Using Multiple Time Frames" & you will probably find a system of time-frames that suits your trading style and personality.

For example:
1. http://www.babypips.com is a useful site for FX trading &

2. www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0i6-soAEq0 is more general information

FWIW I normally use the daily, 4 hour, and 1 hour charts to provide an insight to likely market moves (but it is unusual for me to day trade!). There is heaps of resources available and it will help you focus on planning your trades.

Wishing you the best in your trading career.

mark

Happy trading DYOR

tryhay

Post Number: 1482

Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 07:22 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi nina2016,

I note that you haven't logged back in since you posted, but in case you do I suggest that you check out Alexander Elder's Triple Screen Trading Strategy Part 1 of 6 in total: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWLMltYowMo

Many wantabees parrot his principle/s, which if applied as described will help keep you on the right side of the trade (whether you trade stocks/futures/FX) and provide more surety in managing your trades.

e

Happy trading DYOR

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 2186

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 01:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tryhay ... Its seems our young "behan ji" Nina either got what she ask for and ran or wasn't really serious at all.

What a shame as I had conjured up a few chart examples in readiness to help her "grow".

Dolphin

benson
Username: benson

Post Number: 39

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 01:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dolphin, don't let them go to waste!

I'll gladly read them

tryhay

Post Number: 1485

Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 02:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can one do?

Benson I highly recommend you check out this guy's explanation of "Weekly Downtrend/Consolidation for GBP/CHF" - I would refer you to Colin's stuff but don't think he covers this matter in such detail. In my opinion he has operationalised Elder's framework and presents pearls of gold because he takes the ambiguity out of trading for the newbie (and those who are letting emotion get ahead of them)! !

<https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/technical/article/guest_commentary/2013/10/28/a_tradable_3-push_set-up_in_gbpchf.html> for some reason the link is broken so you will need to search ' A Tradable "3-Push" Set-up in GBP/CHF '

His example daily chart:

cd

What actually happened: The scaling of the chart/s is slightly different but I trust that you get the idea

ad

(Message edited by tryhay on May 01, 2016)

Happy trading DYOR

nina2016
Username: nina2016

Post Number: 2

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:38 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks..
tryhay

qed
Username: qed

Post Number: 177

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:57 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nina 2016 , for a good start have a look at "urban forex" for how to draw s/r lines for forex ... Find an indi called "Pivots Alllevels is good too, for a beginner anything under 1 hr is RISKY IMO , "I also recommend "baby pips " for education ..ifu need any help to set charts up qed15charts@hotmail.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Do Stop Losses Really Work?scarlettsmith69474 04-Sep-19  10:31 pm
Short selling, what is it and how do you do it...rockon18-Jul-19  06:23 am
Twiggs Momentum Oscillatordydavo13 16-Jul-19  08:44 pm
I.C. Mobile App... an incredible oportunity presents...colin_twiggs37 19-Feb-18  12:02 pm
Divergencespdfgh26-Jan-18  12:37 pm
Trade Entry/Exit - Dollar Cost Averagingshadetreetrader41 09-Sep-17  08:49 am
Weinstein Revisitedhailoh33 31-Jan-16  07:00 pm
I am no longer afraiddved15-Aug-15  04:35 am
Market Filter/Switchshadetreetrader15 03-Jan-15  03:10 pm
Redline Trading Systemcolin_twiggs02-Mar-13  03:37 pm
DMI billcu13-Feb-13  04:55 pm
Low Volatility Up-Trendfibonacci13 22-Jan-13  05:03 pm
Meansbillcu21-Jan-13  07:43 am
Risk Management: The 2% (or 1%) Rulesway50 20-Jan-13  07:21 pm

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last