You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Short selling, what is it and how do you do it...

Chart Forum » Trading - Systems » Short selling, what is it and how do you do it...

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
spdfgh
Username: spdfgh

Post Number: 461

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Friday, December 28, 2018 - 01:23 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would be very interested in short selling the ASX top tier dividend paying stocks. Is this what is referred to as 'Contracts for Difference' cfd's?
Can this be done through an online bank type broker?

Keeping in mind dividends are collected for incomes, and a stop loss system would be applied (although not currently worked out as buy and hold was historically the premise).

Can anyone shed light on how to go about short selling for a stock price draw-down in broader market corrections using indicators to measure the point of transition?

Just another potato.

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 14

Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 03:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah its true that most of the dividend stocks are earning money instead of loss
To sale the dividend stocks read some editorial information or stock market news and research.
or contact any online broker.

ScarlettSmith

rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 630

Friday, June 07, 2019 - 10:38 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morning all. I had a quick look at shorting and cfd's some years back. Went against my KISS principals which I still keep to so ended up putting it all in the too hard basket. Too much fine print on the cfd providers sites for me to bother about.
Fairly certain from memory that with shorting, any dividends are actually to be paid by the shorter to the provider/ issuer. Given that the share price usually drops by roughly the dividend amount on ex day, the shorter is sort of no better or no worse off. If the share price quickly recovers, then the shorter is behind due to paying the dividend and the effect of the rising share price. All in my own opinion so check out the nuts and bolts for yourself. Also read on that other chat forum that one of the big bank online brokers will be ceasing to provide cfd's soon. Maybe right maybe wrong so check that out as well before starting a cfd account.

Have you considered long and short ETF's. It is a crackerjack way to trade the market rather than individual stocks. I tend to look for the easiest way and this is it for me. Cannot remember the last time I bought shares in an individual company. Hope this helps but please, DYOR. Cheers.

pjf000
Username: pjf000

Post Number: 75

Friday, June 07, 2019 - 12:40 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that you need to know what you are doing to embark on a shorting trading adventure.
Brokers such as Saxo let you short any number and manner of securities, but you need to pass a basic test of competence first.
Various methodologies may work satisfactorily. A lot use TA and a great blog to follow is https://slopeofhope.com/ which is mostly US centric, but very interesting to see how some traders make a living out of it.
As always, DYOR

Buying a Tesla? Use this referral online ordering code for 1500 km free charging: http://ts.la/phillip2363

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 15

Friday, June 07, 2019 - 02:31 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey @pjf000
True you are saying.
But my suggestion is do not follow blindly the instructions of your broker you also have some of the knowledge about stock market.
You have to update yourself for ASX stock market news and research so that you can easily understand whatever your broker is suggesting you.

ScarlettSmith

rockon

Post Number: 631

Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 06:50 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morning all. IMO, a mixture of long, short and broker suggestions is a recipe for disaster. This forum has always mostly been a TA based one but over the years I am pretty well sure that there have been threads with posters warning of the dangers of following some brokers recommendations.
Scarlett, you are correct in saying that one needs to have some knowledge to analyse their broker recommendations but why not go one step further and analyse your own recommendations instead of relying on a broker to throw up stocks that they may want you to buy. I think the first time you see a "strong buy" recce from a broker for a stock that is in a "strong" downtrend may prompt you to question this.
Plenty of info on the net about a mixture of TA and FA and remembering that everyone cannot be right at the same time and everyone cannot be wrong at the same time, I would encourage anyone new to the markets to get the knowledge first then believe in yourself rather than someone else, find a method that works for you and keep doing it till things change as they always do then find another method.
All in my own opinion so please DYOR and I also agree with the comments of pjf000 up above. Cheers.

(Message edited by rockon on June 08, 2019)

(Message edited by rockon on June 08, 2019)

qed
Username: qed

Post Number: 202

Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 03:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All, re shorting , All derivative trading carries high risk ,IMO the safest way to short is to actually own a parcel of shares and if you think the price is going to go down sell 1/2 and buy them back at cheaper price , the benefit of doing it this way is if the price spikes up you still have skin in the game . the problem you run into trying to short stocks that are not in the the top say 100 the premium charged will be too high to be worth the effort .the biggest risks associated with derivatives (cfds etc) is not understanding the discipline required in regard to POSITION SIZING .... cheers Qed

rockon

Post Number: 633

Thursday, July 18, 2019 - 05:23 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to be two threads with similar headings. Just thought I'd add a post to the relevant one so anyone who was half interested could maybe get a little info from the posts up above. Not a lot of interest in shorts over the last 6 or 7 months but if the market rolls over, as usual, nearly every chat forum will start buzzing with shorting questions. Just as easy to learn all about it during the good times so one is ready to act when the bad times roll in. Hmmmm being able to go long and short...... Can there be any bad times ?.

(Message edited by rockon on July 18, 2019)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Do Stop Losses Really Work?scarlettsmith69474 04-Sep-19  09:31 pm
Twiggs Momentum Oscillatordydavo13 16-Jul-19  07:44 pm
I.C. Mobile App... an incredible oportunity presents...colin_twiggs37 19-Feb-18  11:02 am
Divergencespdfgh26-Jan-18  11:37 am
Trade Entry/Exit - Dollar Cost Averagingshadetreetrader41 09-Sep-17  07:49 am
Timeframe For Intraday Tradingqed07-Jun-16  10:57 pm
Weinstein Revisitedhailoh33 31-Jan-16  06:00 pm
I am no longer afraiddved15-Aug-15  03:35 am
Market Filter/Switchshadetreetrader15 03-Jan-15  02:10 pm
Redline Trading Systemcolin_twiggs02-Mar-13  02:37 pm
DMI billcu13-Feb-13  03:55 pm
Low Volatility Up-Trendfibonacci13 22-Jan-13  04:03 pm
Meansbillcu21-Jan-13  06:43 am
Risk Management: The 2% (or 1%) Rulesway50 20-Jan-13  06:21 pm

Threads by Last Post Time: