Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
tagen
Username: tagen

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 11:38 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody heard of Kerry Johnston? I received an email from Mf Global and thinking of attending the seminar he is running on trading FX.

davkell
Username: davkell

Post Number: 581

Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 08:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, but I'm attending the course Tuesday night.

Will know then.

"Trade Your Way To Financial Freedom" - Van K Tharp

"Manage the downside; the upside will take care of itself" - Donald Trump

visions
Username: visions

Post Number: 72

Monday, August 03, 2009 - 02:50 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi davkell,

Just received an email re:Kerry Johnston's seminar and remembered your post saying you were attending, so I thought I'd drop a line and ask how it went and did you gather anything from it at all.

I presume it was a warm up for a workshop with a further cost but was it worth your time.

Cheers ... Visions

tagen

Post Number: 2

Monday, August 03, 2009 - 04:20 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended the Kerry Johnston seminar in Perth last Wednesday night. If you are currently trading or seriously thinking about trading it would be worth attending. At the end of the seminar Kerry spent a couple of minutes discussing his courses. Not a hard sell at all. The majority of the night was spent discussing Kerry's experience trading.

Hope that helps...

ingot54
Username: ingot54

Post Number: 2148

Monday, August 03, 2009 - 05:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tagen wrote on Monday, August 03, 2009 - 04:20 pm:

I attended the Kerry Johnston seminar in Perth last Wednesday night. If you are currently trading or seriously thinking about trading it would be worth attending. At the end of the seminar Kerry spent a couple of minutes discussing his courses. Not a hard sell at all. The majority of the night was spent discussing Kerry's experience trading.

Of course you attended the seminar in Perth last Wednesday night, Simon.

You ran it.

http://www.educatetraders.com/forexef.htm

But it would have been far more honest of you to simply tell the forum up-front that you are the front man for Kerry Johnston.

Kind of clouds what is probably an "OK" promotion.

Base it on honesty, man, and you can't go wrong.

$2990 Plus GST
Special price for Easy Forex
Clients: $1990 plus GST

There is nothing wrong with people paying for tuition and mentorship - in fact it has been stated that every successful trader has probably been helped by other successful traders.

But personally I would be wary of an organisation which doesn't have the money to pay Incredible Charts management the going rate for an advertising slot.

Instead it seems you have chosen to slip in under a nomme de plume and save costs. I am certain Mr Twiggs would be pleased to know you have gained wonderful advertising space for free. You started this thread - you did not join it and offer the information. That would have been quite a different matter in some respects. Cheap ... yes ... but not as cheap as the pretense you used to promote Kerry Johnston.

In any case, I wish you well - no doubt you do have an excellent product, as Davkell will probably be pleased to share shortly.

Keep Smiling - Don't look back

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

ingot54

Post Number: 2149

Monday, August 03, 2009 - 08:29 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see where Kerry Johnston actually HAS paid for some advertising on Inc Charts ... I noticed it in the early July Twiggs newsletters.

So I am happy to take that back, with an apology for the comment.

However, there is little excuse for the deception of Tagen aka Simon Upton, presenter or whatever for KJ, to treat the forum with patronising condescension.

There is no need to attempt to fool the forum with an opening statement like this:

"I received an email from Mf Global and thinking of attending the seminar he is running on trading FX."

No doubt MF Global did send an email to "Tagen" and no doubt "Tagen" was attending the seminar ... technically! But Tagen it may have been wiser not to allow people to think there was no association between yourself and KJ ... when the evidence says otherwise.

Much easier to say - "Hi - Simon Upton here. We are currently running an advertising campaign with Incredible Charts, and would like to direct you to our site."

Right?

One would hope you have less contempt for your clients.

(Message edited by Ingot54 on August 03, 2009)

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

tagen

Post Number: 3

Monday, August 03, 2009 - 09:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apologies for the delay in responding but I have been out for the evening.

I was trying to stimulate interest for Kerryís presentation and as you have pointed out this could have been done differently. My intention was not to mislead, rather the objective was to stimulate interest. In hindsight I see why this was naÔve.

MF Global have run a paid advertising campaign on this site. Neither Kerry Johnston or MF Global were aware that I had made these posts. Both parties treat their clients with the utmost respect and would never intend to be patronising in any way. Iím sure that is their respective clients read this post they would agree.

Once again my intention was not to mislead and I extend my apologies to the forum.

Simon

scarrie
Username: scarrie

Post Number: 253

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 12:15 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are considering forex trading, just google forex trading. There is more free material out there than you will ever be able to read in a lifetime. I don't know anything about Kerry Johnston, but like most of these expensive trading courses, unless the tutor is going to hand you a copy of their trading plan and tell you exactly what they do, then it seems it steep price for some general info on forex trading, which for the most part is no different to trading any other instrument that trends.

davkell

Post Number: 582

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 12:48 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, puting aside the situation pointed out by Ingot, I will say the evening was of interest. However, I paid $29 (yes, not a lot of money, but money none the less) to attend what I thought was a presentation by Kerry Johnston. I'll discuss his talk next, but firstly, 60% of the time was taken by MF Global selling their product! I paid $29 to receive a sales pitch essentially. I know CFD's, I know how they work, I didn't need to be told all that and have to pay for it!!!

So eventually, we did get to meet Kerry, and he did make a very good presentation. His KISS principle approach was quite motivational, but essentially his talk was motivational only, lacked any real 'trading' knowhow. I took something away from his speech that will benefit me, and don't complain the $29 for that outcome. And with most speakers, the end summation leads to the "down to earth, simple, one on one, personal education" course offered by the speaker. $3990 (the magic number, usually $3990 or $5990 from most courses).

As I said, would have preferred to only hear from Kerry, I can attend a MF Global sales presentation anytime and for free surely? The venue was terrible, especially compared to other venues used by similar companies.

Kerry was worth hearing, just for the motivational side of things even though he lacked any clear focus on trading approach. I think I would prefer he publish a book, which I'd probably buy for $50 or so, rather than his course. $4k is a lot of money, and with dozens of people/organisations offering similar courses, you'd go broke trying to find the 'right' one.

My 2cents.

visions
Username: visions

Post Number: 73

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 09:39 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Davkell,

Thanks for your feedback and breakdown on the seminar you attended. I have a long drive there and back so wanted to get your thoughts before making the journey, so once again many thanks.

Ingot54: Many thanks to you also for your posts, it's good to know that others are out there watching out for underhanded actions going on, and I agree that upfront and open honesty is always the best approach.

Tagen: As an individual I accept your apology and hopefully you and Kerry can bring something to this forum beside a promotion. I have seen other tutors adding some education to different forums before,} so let's hope you can join us at times in this area. I think that would win you more customers and respect.

Cheers ... Visions

ingot54

Post Number: 2150

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 09:55 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the feedback Davkell - sounds like a very balanced assessment of the evening, and that Kerry Johnston does indeed have something worth sharing with aspiring traders.

This could end up a little long-winded ...

I worked with a trader who paid $5k for a well-known Home Trading course in share CFD's. They promised he would make "double the cost of the course in 12 months or costs refunded."

When I met him (late 2006) he was 2 years into the course and not making money at all. I encouraged him to take them up on the guarantee, and to stop throwing his money at the markets until he knew where he was going wrong.

He vacillated and said "to be fair it is not really their fault ... it is mine."

What?

The man had paid $5k and lost on many trades ... to the extent of negating any wins. Certainly he was not "trading for a living from home" as promised, and certainly, even with any assistance from tutors, had not profited to the extent of "double the course cost in 12 months."

And here he was, blaming himself for his failure. To an extent he was correct - it was his fault - for failing to take them to task for not correcting his errors. And even if we accommodate "foolish" trades ... most of which he should have shaken out of his system within the first few months ... certainly within 2 years he should have been consistently profitable.

This situation uncovers some things worth looking at.

Guarantees are tricky ... it is not in the company's interests to be refunding money - both from a cash-flow perspective, and the testimonial that results from that. If the company can somehow prove that you did not follow instructions, then they have an "out" from the guarantee.

How many traders actually follow (to the letter) the instructions?

In my short 5 years trading, I have uncovered a few things that I think are requirements for success. If I had known these (and actually believed them) at the beginning, I would not have proceeded with my trading career.

Success Criteria:

Right Personality
Right Risk profile
Right Instrument
Right Time Frame
Right Funding
Right Method
Right Strategy
Right Business Plan
Right Personal Circumstances
Right Support and Tutoring
Right Preparation and Experience

You can probably add more - these are off the front page of my memory.

When all of these are present, you might have the picture of a successful trader. I single out the last one as essential to making all the others "work."

I have met traders who trade one of the eMini methods put out from a Queensland company. They must trade only demo for 3 months before being "allowed" to put "live" trades on.

Another criteria is that they must develop a track record of 70% winning trades - the figure the company quotes is achieved by their pro traders anyway. In other words, traders must prove themselves on demo before being allowed anywhere near a live trading platform.

This is achieved by one-on-one support, and "live trading room" tutorials 5 days/week.

While I would say this is the bare minimum required for "success" I have had emails from traders who have paid the $7700 for that course, and remain bitter about their experience with the company. In short - even with all the support and tutoring, they "failed."

I would say they failed to handle that course and instrument at that time, but not as a trader necessarily. Any failure would have come about by not paying attention to the items on the list above ... but essentially the last item.

Nothing can substitute for experience. Experiencing the quirks and whip-saws of markets is necessary to prepare traders psychologically for trading in these very competitive instruments.

Many on this forum attempted to warn me about using leverage - particularly at a time when my experience was minimal. Oh yes - I was a very keen student - putting as many hours in studying trading as I did into my "other" job! But at that time I did not know that I did not know.

I survived. And today I am glad I persisted, though the scars are reminders of the object lessons the market will teach people with my arrogance and approach.

I told you this would be long-winded ... my point being that a course alone is simply NOT a recipe for success - regardless of the cost of that course.

To Simon:

Other issues aside mate ... it would perhaps be a good thing for you to elaborate on the approach of the KJ method, without giving anything away. In particular, I would like your views on the items on my list above.

But more poignantly, I would like to know if KJ Seminars do profile all applicants specifically, to be certain they possess both the personal circumstances and mental aptitude so very necessary to survive in trading financial markets.

davkell

Post Number: 583

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:58 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Success Criteria:

Right Personality
Right Risk profile
Right Instrument
Right Time Frame
Right Funding
Right Method
Right Strategy
Right Business Plan
Right Personal Circumstances
Right Support and Tutoring
Right Preparation and Experience

Brilliant list Ingot for the aspiring trader. One might not need all of them to have a tick next to them, but definitely 70% or more. And some would have more importance than others. I must say, my trading success is and always has been a failing in two of your components to success: that being 'Right Funding' and 'Right Personal Circumstances', but I do persist and after 10years since I purchased the $8k Grey Box system that promised success in the Options market (that company and the program now no longer exist!) I have yet to see a profitable year. But as I said, I do persist, because (a) I know I will be a successful trader someday soon and (b) I love doing it.

I still think though (from past experience) that one cannot outlay a vast sum of cash to any education provider and expect to become a trader overnight. If I was asked, I would say learn by yourself utilising free seminars, books and the internet so you can learn the basics and learn something about yourself as well, then perhaps consider an appropriate course.

Cheers.

tagen

Post Number: 4

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 11:09 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for an opportunity to respond and redeem myself. Interestingly many of the points you raise are surprisingly similar to Kerry's beliefs and this comes from over 30 years experience in the markets. KJ started in 1985 and was lucky enough to fly to the US for a seminar in which he met Ed Seykota. Ed invited him to spend a weekend with himself and a group of his trading colleagues who got together to discuss trading. This meeting changed his style of thinking about trading and set him on a new course. Like Ingot54, Kerry has survived the many challenges that the market throws at you and has been enriched by the experiences. KJ trades FX, Futures and CFDs.

KJ is currently on a flight from Perth to Melbourne for tonight's seminar so I am responding without briefing him. Kerry fundamentally believes that there is no such thing as a born trader. Like most skills in our society (doctor, mechanic, etc.) trading can be learned however it is not done over night and like these other professions requires many hours of hard, tedious work. Kerry believes that there is no "secret" to the markets and that each trader is different. He suggests that developing a trading system is secondary to "making money" and this comes with exceptional money management rules. Kerry is not about promising an easy road to riches. It requires work, however he has tailored his trading system to alleviate some of the chop, by trading close to market announcements - ie. when markets are more likely to move.

In addition to his teaching in the 2 day course, KJ will offer three live trading coaching sessions. Each session will be run via the internet for 90 minutes duration using live markets. The markets covered will be FOREX, SPI (All Ords) and FTSE. The coaching sessions will reinforce what is learnt in the 2 day work shop using live charts as the market trades. KJ also offers a proven trader support system that has been operational for years. When you have a trading question, you attach a chart with the question and send it to him by email and he is always contactable via phone. Earlier this year we were having dinner at a Chinese restaurant in St. Kilda, Melbourne when a gentleman approached Kerry. This gentleman and his wife had done one of Kerry's courses in Brisbane approximately 5 years ago. He mentioned to Kerry that he had recently arrived back in Australia after spending time in China and that he was keen to get back into trading. Kerry provided his contact details and asked this gentleman to call him and set up a time so he could help him get back on track. There was no charge (and never is for support). If you are serious about trading and putting in the work Kerry is serious about helping you become successful. This is the way Kerry operates. He is passionate about trading, what is really takes to be a successful trader and ensuring that those who commit to doing the hard work after his course succeed.

In short, before Kerry accepts anyone on his course he will contact any and every applicant before they do his course and ask a series of questions with respect to the clients objectives and motives. Kerry is not a salesman - he's a trader and as such does not want to entice anyone into departing with their hard earned cash unless he truly believes they will have a chance to succeed. They must be currently trading or intending to trade - he does not solicit to green field players. Not only is there ethical issues here but Kerry would be wasting his time and also theirs.

ingot54

Post Number: 2151

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 01:06 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The topic of the thread is "Kerry Johnston" so this may be seen as a digression from that.

But I have heard it said:
Those who can, trade.
Those who can't, teach.

It would be a rare person indeed who gave up precious time with family plus the fabulous lifestyle afforded by successful trading, to teach the same successful methods.

Altruism is all-but dead in this world. Not too many traders, once having become successful, would spend time helping others to become successful ... without charging a fee.

I would not - but while I would not disclose my hard-fought method - even for money - I would certainly help people with certain pointers to the steps they need to undertake on the journey.

My method cost me a lot in terms of time, effort, research, experimentation and countless hours watching charts tick-by-agonising-tick! It is simply not possible to learn anything about price action, other than by watching price action unfold candle-by-candle.

So that's why I hold the view that successful traders largely keep their mouths shut about how they trade.

It has been said that once people learn a method and that method becomes widespread, then that method effectively loses its edge.

Take Fibonacci levels as an example. Today it is clear that sellers are taking profits a few ticks BEFORE the fibs levels are hit.

Why is that? Could it be that sellers and buyers cluster around these points (same story with pivot points now) in anticipation - and those that jump earlier are the winners?

One of the things I had to learn is that the mainstream TA is useless to new traders. TA is extremely useful to promoters of trading methods, because the newby has had little experience, and does not know the difficulties inherent in taking profits - exits - which is where the money is made in trading.

You really can NOT go broke taking a profit - regardless of who says otherwise. You go broke by NOT taking profits WHEN they are available

Simon has noted that KJ vets people who are already involved in trading - and that is an excellent start. But I would almost guarantee that if I posted my personal trading method here today, 99% of people would either not stick to it, or would not be able to operate it, though it is very simple.

The reason is that others who read it and even set it up, do not own it for themselves and this is where system sellers break down. If you want success, you need to figure out a way to gain confidence in your own rules to be able to apply them when adversity comes along. If you can not follow the rules, no system will help you become a successful trader.

I am sure the KJ system can be taught, but traders doing the course would need to have an unshakeable belief in the system, and the iron discipline required to follow the rules through good and difficult trading experiences.

I would say that most successful traders (an opinion only) rely on a mechanical method. This takes away the requirement for human judgement, because if you KNOW your system makes money, why second-guess the rules? You will become afraid just when you need to be courageous, and vice versa.

Having said that, I would have to agree with Davkell:-

I still think though (from past experience) that one cannot outlay a vast sum of cash to any education provider and expect to become a trader overnight. If I was asked, I would say learn by yourself utilising free seminars, books and the internet so you can learn the basics and learn something about yourself as well, then perhaps consider an appropriate course.

What you are saying Davkell, is my point: Unless you can learn the basics and learn something about yourself, you can not begin the journey. By doing both of those things, you embark on a journey of trust and confidence in yourself and your method.

I could write a book about my personal journey - but at the end of this trip, to this point, the biggest lesson probably, is that I had to grow up.

To learn to trust ones-self and one's method; to own one's own method; to divorce the emotions from the winning and losing cycles; to be a listener and a researcher, but to continue to paddle the canoe - albeit with faster paddles!

Doing a course can fast-track the learning, but it can not fast-track the brain or the experience. Emotions need time to harden up to the realities of life.

Understanding your own personality is critical to trading. It's a journey, and a conscious attempt to explain your actions and reactions to yourself needs to be a part of that. There is no book or course, that can magically provide those kinds of experiences or enlightenment.

For the trader, success is not a destination, but a journey.

Let me finish the essay (rant) with this:

"Nothing is obtained simply by wanting and nothing is achieved by relinquishing responsibility to a higher authority.

Belief is the act of be-living, for to "be-live" is to believe, and "will" is the ultimate medium of the self"

... Enki: 4500BC (Also attributed to Marie Curie (1867-1934)

resillent1
Username: resillent1

Post Number: 716

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 02:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello gentlemen - an excellent thread you have going here.

I believe there is no information of any permanent value in trading or investing that cannot be obtained for free.

Things of temporary value are not normally revealed unless the cost outweighs the value.

I think plenty of successful traders share the information of permanent value and for free as other motivations outweigh the utility of more money to them. Doing so doesnít diminish their own results. The difficulty is, for others to see, assimilate and believe the value of the information.

In considering the value of trading education I think the focus should be on the delivery not the information.

Schools of all sorts deliver information that could be essentially gained for free but that does not mean some of them donít offer value.

Good educators are not necessarily good traders and visa versa. I'm not sure that that should be held against either of them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Fed quietly buys new Treasury Note issueehmu04-Nov-11  04:04 am
AUD JPYehmu21-Oct-11  12:48 am
What currency pairs to trade in Forex?qed08-May-11  11:06 am
$US sell signal ?ehmu07-Dec-10  08:20 am
USD: Is Further QE Inevitable?colin_twiggs13-Oct-10  01:30 pm
Which Forex trading platform?nzrugby16-Jul-10  03:07 pm
All about NZD pair : Nzd/Usd;Cad;Jpy , EurNzd and other.mdunleavy14-Jul-10  06:53 pm
Bond markets and forexbabu11-Jul-10  06:37 pm
All about JPY pair : Eur;Gbp;Aud;UsdJpy etc.mdunleavy27-Jun-10  07:30 am
EURAUD - Take the candy and run alex_lyall02-Jun-10  03:35 pm
Forex Made Easy - Ingots Rainbow Strategy.sirajrasul39 20-Jan-10  05:04 am
Bank Of Englandingot5409-Aug-09  04:54 am
TIPScolin_twiggs07-Aug-09  09:12 am
Currency Tradingreealjrd18 14-Jul-09  08:41 pm

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»