You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

TSX Stocks 15-minute delayed

Gold is just Gold!

Chart Forum » Gold & Precious Metals » Gold is just Gold!

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
captain_chaza
Username: captain_chaza

Post Number: 2970

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Friday, January 25, 2008 - 06:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the many years here on IC I have said

"Gold is just another metal,
like another Commodity like Copper Platinum Silver lead and even Pork Bellies and Orange juice"

All I can say is

Beware of outdated text books and brokers that infer Gold is a hedge against inflation

As everything that has happened in History always repeats itself
Please Remember when President Tricky Dicky NIXON declared he would not exchange ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR for Gold?

He was not the first President to do this BTW

He was the Second
Teddy Roosevelt was the first

That was the end of the line for Gold as the SOLE hedge against inflation for me

Two Strikes Out and your OUT as far as I am concerned

Most commodities will do that job, nowadays!

In conclusion
"Gold is just Gold!"

Salute and Gods' speed

"While we stop and think, we often miss our opportunity." Publilius Syrus, 1st century B.C.

"I believe the future is only the past again, entered through another gate."
Sir Arthur Wing Pinero 1893

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: When he can't afford it, and when he can." Mark Twain, 1897

rederob
Username: rederob

Post Number: 2311

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:28 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very silly idea!
Why, if gold is just gold, do central banks keep it under lock and key?
Gold, if it was just another metal, would be almost half its price, at best. That's because the base/industrial metals have been rising on fundamental supply and demand grounds. That is, supply cannot match demand.
Gold has more than enough above ground reserves to satisfy the markets for a few decades - if banks are willing to let go.
Gold is a speculative market instrument and an interesting precious metal with remarkable qualities.
It does not behave like normal commodities and may prove to be an excellent hedge against inflation if its price trend continues.

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2995

Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 03:41 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Rederob

You are entitled to your opinion and I get it

The problem with inflation is that every government on Earth treats it like the plague

and hence IMO it will never reach your heights of expectancy

What I am saying is that INFLATION will be cut in the bud before it is allowed to bloom

This is not to say that core inflation will not be allowed to rise 3-4% / year but the Damage Effects have been learnt the Hard way
If any Government nowadays lets the inflation demon out of the bag with all its multiplier effects they know the consequences

On the other matter you raised
I don't think I can ever prove it but I think there is more Gold under the beds in India than all your bank vaults put together!

GOLD is a Religion to some peoples but not so much with Banks anymore

If the US go back to their 2003 Interest Rates of ~1% then you may have a chance of inflation
BUT I PROMISE YOU ONE THING
It would be cut in the bud as quickly as you can say

"Donald Duck was a Drake"

1% might not be a bad Idea to kick start the US economy as they did in 2003 but such a drastic response in these times is utterly ridiculous and well over the top IMO

Salute and Gods' speed

PS I have got my garage full of copper wiring as my hedge against inflation Ha! Ha! Hee! Hee! LOL!

(Message edited by Captain_Chaza on February 10, 2008)

"While we stop and think, we often miss our opportunity." Publilius Syrus, 1st century B.C.

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: When he can't afford it, and when he can." Mark Twain, 1897

captain_chaza

Post Number: 3009

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 03:57 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Rederob

It seems that the IMF is thinking of selling heaps of your beloved GOLD

As usual banks never seem to get their timing right

Don't they understand that Gold is cyclical in India and the Wedding season is so many many months away?

Crikey! Can't these stupid banks do anything right?

Salute and Gods' speed

kate
Username: kate

Post Number: 827

Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 09:40 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain C
It was suggested that the IMF sell some of their stash last November but they still haven't budged. Can you imagine the fireworks if they sold a substantial amount especially when they announced yesterday that the oil price will drop due to reduced global world demand.

Regards
Kate

Think the action is going to be around copper and Aluminium, both can be used for the same purpose and there isn't enough copper for electricity infrastructure in India, South Africa and China. Will try and do some more research and post in the commodity section.

captain_chaza

Post Number: 3011

Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 04:40 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Sea-Cadet-Officer Katie

That was a great call on Aluminum this morning

I woulldn't leave Zinc out of the equation ATM as the word has it that the Yanks will be using heaps of Zinc in new Coinage over the next two years

But more importantly

#2 I would have a really good look at the new commodity on the block

I call it Potash
Some call it Rock Phosphate
Basically it is Fertiliser

It has been mainly used over the centuries for food production but now food is being turned into fuel by the way of Bio-Fuels

Sometimes she can be kind to brave sailors

Crikey! I can't see anybody complaining about using Fertilizers in their fuel/cars as they do and shop around for Organic foodstuffs for their stomachs

Can you?

I am lucky enough to hold a few MAK (after having heaps) but I didn't appreciate the good story of "Fertilizer"

Do you know of any other Potash/Fertlizer companies?
I figure they may move in harmony with the energy classes of sail

The only one I can remember is Yates but she was taken over a few years ago by whom I forget

Salute and Gods' speed

PS
There is a sail in America called Potash Corp (with the Signage POT) for those that like to burn the midnight oil

PPS
I have a 60 inch Plasma Panasonic and the Picture is Picture Perfect

I am high up the queue for the new High definition Foxtel HD+ which promises to be even better than That!

(Message edited by Captain_Chaza on February 14, 2008)

sway
Username: sway

Post Number: 147

Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 05:04 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cap'n
Ask and you shall receive. Looks mighty fine according to my Weinstein template.

Sway
POT

stocky
Username: stocky

Post Number: 188

Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 06:37 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe IPL is into fertiliser..

kate
Username: kate

Post Number: 829

Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 07:59 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain C

NUF like IPL is probably too big for you. Try RWD.

Kate

PS I hope you are offsetting the greenhouse gases that television of yours is producing.

rederob

Post Number: 2313

Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:13 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very off topic thread!
Is gold now potash?
Or potash the new gold?
Makes one zinc.

archer
Username: archer

Post Number: 1872

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:29 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gold is just gold i agree
and gold will become what its always been
Most people have eyes but cannot see
Gold once again a currency

captain_chaza

Post Number: 3070

Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:48 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Brave and Loyal crew

I must confess I do have a little insider experience with Potash/Fertiizer

At Sea we don't get many opportunities to buy Fresh Fruit and Veg

It is a fact at Sea that there is not an Italian Fruiterer an every Island!
Trust me on that one!

I woke up one day to the idea of growing Plants under lights in my wardrobe

After a few dry runs I realized quickly that with a little bit of help from "Fertilizers" I may be able to manage not ONE but TWO crops per year in my own wardrobe

The Rest is History!

Salute and Gods' Speed

sway
Username: sway

Post Number: 273

Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:06 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else think that gold is too cheap?

From http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=42347
gold oil

On long term value relative to oil, gold has got 50% to make up. Unless oil starts getting any cheaper. Not likely.
Cheers
Sway

This is not a recommendation or advice. As they say .... DYOR.

ohkoolnutz
Username: ohkoolnutz

Post Number: 748

Monday, May 05, 2008 - 03:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sort of chart may have been an indication when oil was plentiful but now the ratio of gold against oil will continue to deteriorate. Remember you can always turn used gold into reused gold. You can't reuse used oil.

---
ohk

Lies, Damn Lies and Technical Analysis

haroldjames808
Username: haroldjames808

Post Number: 4

Friday, November 27, 2009 - 08:48 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. And if you have a lot of gold,it also means that you are rich.

rederob

Post Number: 2431

Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 09:40 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throughout the GFC gold did not act like just "another metal", as Charlie would believe.
And now, as the US sinks further into debt, gold continues to perform well.
As its price continues to soar, Central Banks have been reluctant to sell down their gold reserves.
Under the Central Bank Gold Agreement, which saw an average of 388 tonnes sold off each year, only 6 tonnes was sold in the last year (to end-September). These Central Banks have indicated their intention to stay out of the market for the time being, so above ground supplies are now at a premium.
At some point the present cycle will end. But as mine supply needs to be supplemented by above ground supplies to meet annual demand, the rate of decline in gold's price may not be as steep as it has been in the past.

TSX Stocks 15-minute delayed

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
XAUUSDqed08-Jul-17  12:39 pm
Gold:Silver Ratiosurijohn9201-Jul-15  02:28 pm
Silver bouncingsurijohn9212 19-Jun-15  03:36 pm
Calculating Position size on gold, silver and wtitom8213-Feb-13  03:55 pm
US Dollar and goldkesil01-Jun-12  09:45 pm
GOLD - Flag on a flagpole?kesil13-May-12  09:19 pm