You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Archive through January 09, 2008

Chart Forum » Gold & Precious Metals » GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through January 09, 2008

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
kate
Username: kate

Post Number: 684

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Monday, June 04, 2007 - 09:13 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rederob

Every time I take my eyes off the screen gold goes up so I suppose you'll want me to cancel my broadband subscription!
What is interesting is that gold and oil are going up and so is the US dollar, I like that idea.

Kate

kate

Post Number: 685

Monday, June 04, 2007 - 09:17 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tryhay

656 looking stronger and stronger as long term support.

Kate

rederob
Username: rederob

Post Number: 2240

Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kate
I used to reckon the second half as the stronger part of the year for gold.
Alas, not always.
But I do like the present look of POO and POG in tandem.
And the greenback continues to weaken, despite occasional rallies.
I remain a subscriber to the principle of longer consolidations leading to stronger rises, and in this regard have an inkling that POG will breach $800 before the year is out.
I believe that POO may well be the catalyst for POG to climb sharply as I concede that a weaker greenback has not particularly favoured POG in the manner it has previously.

rederob

Post Number: 2256

Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 06:06 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DIO is looking like a minnow worth hooking.
30% increase this month on strongest volumes in many years.
More to this one than meets the eye.

kate

Post Number: 691

Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:30 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rederob,
I'm watching it, it finally went through the 10c barrier last week on strong volume so its a buy providing it can stay above that level. I'm just waiting to see how today's general market plays out. Did you see that Hegarty is thinking of buying AusQuest, interesting that he's adding Ni as opposed to gold companies. Re mining companies in general how do find out who are the lowest cost producers or do you just look for the "Made in Africa" label?

Kate

rederob

Post Number: 2258

Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kate
Not much green on the screen.
But o'me o'mi o'buy DIO.
Almost 16m shares traded and up 1.5cents in a market quite jaded.
Given there is no announcement to base trading upon, I am wondering if this is a big con.
Fool's gold, be we so bold!

kate

Post Number: 693

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 09:06 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rederob
There is often a party after the 10c level has been breached. Think the Euro is on its way up again so gold may start to rise too - one can hope.

goldbug
Username: goldbug

Post Number: 323

Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:50 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold on tight ......

kate

Post Number: 705

Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:15 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gold took a decent hit last night, last year when gold positions were liquidated in association with a stock market pullback, traders used gains in gold to cover losses in other areas. This will always be a risk now that gold can be bought and sold at the press of a button.

I think that this stock market pullback is not as much to do with our interest rate worries or the sub prime debacle but high risk deals done by hedge funds. The sub prime losses were just the beginning and a drop in the ocean in comparison with the amount of money tied up in high risk hedge funds.

Another indication that this is the reason is the sell off in the Australian dollar, our huge trade deficit makes the dollar a "risky currency" when there are problems.

shawky
Username: shawky

Post Number: 562

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gold Gold Gold

Anyone interested?

Just came across this recently new web site: www.goldnerds.com.au

A handy list of all Gold Stocks on the site, so here is an IC Watchlist of all 200 odd stocks.

regards
Shawky

text/plain
gold stocks.viz (10.3 k)

My favourites: PNA OXR LGL and one from the bottom drawer CRE.

happy trading

msparks
Username: msparks

Post Number: 1044

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Shawky
How do i get thay file into IC ?

Tried everything and when it gets there comes up with an error and won't load stocks ?

Is there too many spaces between the name and [
I am saving as a .viz , text document and importing

kate

Post Number: 713

Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:42 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark
Just go to the website, click on Australian gold stocks and you'll get the list.

shawky

Post Number: 563

Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:49 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops
The cold (or flu) and brain fade. My fault, I did not test the file, which is something I normally do before posting. There were extra spaces between the ticker code and _ax.

New file tested OK) attached. You were loading it the right way. Also included is a smaller list for Gold Stocks in CMC. Unfortunately the CMC margins don't appear in the watchlist anymore as I think Colin has had the import functions "enhanced" - shame.

text/plainIC Watchlist
gold stocks.viz (9.4 k)

text/plainIC Watchlist CMC
gold stocks cmc.viz (1.9 k)

regards
Shawky

msparks

Post Number: 1046

Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 06:26 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Shawky
There is still something wrong with the file, i loaded it into IC but there is some http stuff or something in the file, then i could not start IC until i went into prog , ic, etc etc and deleted it.The charts did work while i had it in IC but there is additional info which i could not find when opening it to delete.

Colin may delete the files for you so they do not cause anyone else problems perhaps.

Cheers

shawky

Post Number: 564

Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 07:13 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark
There is nothing wrong with the files. I have just checked them again from the web site myself and apart from it now being difficult to download a file with the right name, they work fine.

It appears that to download the files correctly you will have to:
1. Right click on the filename in my post
2. Select Save Target as..
3. Choose your location, e.g. the Desktop
4. Change Save as Type to All Files
4. Change the filename to something like Gold Stocks.viz (it should end with .viz and not .txt)
5. Click Save.
6. Import file into IC as normal

If you left clicked on the filename, your web browser opened the file rather than downloading it as it was a txt file supported by your browser or something now configured in the forum UI caused this to be the default (I don't recall it happening before but it happened to me tonight). If you had then used internet explorer File Save As and saved it as an html file, that would have caused your problem. Just a guess of course :-)

I reckon something has changed with the forum software, because my viz files use to download real easy before, keeping the correct filename.

By all means, let me know if your still stuck.

By the way, I'm long PNA again after reversal today. Fingers crossed, GSLO in place.

regards
Shawky

msparks

Post Number: 1048

Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:54 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again Shawky

Works fine now, i also saved it as a .viz , but instead of All Files i left it as Text file which may have been another problem.

Perhaps you can attach "standard instructions" for us mere mortals

Cheers

msparks

Post Number: 1053

Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hailoh
Here is the link to the charts

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=8&post=117616#PO ST117616

Here is a link to triangles etc
http://www.marketscreen.com/help/chartpatterns/default.asp?hideHF=&Num=112

I think the future of gold is more to do with currencies than TA but at the moment, who knows what will happen next, certainly not i .
LGL is quite popular among the goldbugs i think.
I feel for all those poor souls who sold their houses and invested into the stock market to get the "tax free" super , imagine the fees generated , Macquarie was spruiking how many millions of dollars of super money was flooding into their business , like the delivering the mouse tied down to a stretcher to the cat.

Agent fees, stamp duty, capital gains tax, adviser fees and ongoing costs, accountant and adviser set up fees, then the market takes it's share as well.

kate

Post Number: 715

Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:34 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hailoh

Are you asking whether you should sell?

Kate

perler59
Username: perler59

Post Number: 996

Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 04:26 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Unfolding Crisis – an Interview with Doug Casey

By: Doug Casey, Casey Research LLC

Posted Friday, 10 August 2007

Doug Casey, chairman of Casey Research is a renowned investor, best-selling author and editor of the monthly newsletter International Speculator, now in its 27th year of providing independent-minded investors with unbiased recommendations on investments with the potential to double or better within a 12-month horizon. He has made it his life’s work to study financial crisis and how investors can protect themselves and profit, sharing his results in New York Times best-sellers such as Crisis Investing and Strategic Investing.

With global markets in turmoil, we turned to Doug to give us his interpretation of the big picture.

Q. The dollar is under increasing pressure. Do you think it’s realistic that the U.S. dollar could lose its status as the world’s reserve currency anytime soon? What are the implications and how soon do you think it could happen?

A. The U.S. dollar will eventually reach its intrinsic value; it’s simply a question of time. The Forever War in the Middle East is greatly accelerating the process. The whole idea of a reserve currency is meaningless if the currency is backed by nothing but the good will of the issuing government. That’s why gold has always been used as money; you don’t have to rely on anyone’s full faith and credit, good will, competence, trade surpluses, self-restraint or anything else. And it’s why gold will again be used, in everyday transactions, as money.

The dollar is a hot potato. There are trillions—nobody knows exactly how many—floating outside the U.S. But only Americans have to accept them, and only the U.S. Government can create them (although the North Koreans do their best). The Chinese have good reason to worry about all those dollars. When they tried to buy the Unocal oil company, they were turned away by the U.S. Government. So, obviously, their dollars weren’t good for that. When Dubai wanted to buy companies that manage six U.S. seaports, they found their dollars had no value.

At some point there’s going to be a panic out of the dollar. When it happens, it’s likely to be the biggest financial upset since the 1930s. Part of the question is what they’ll panic into. The euro? As I have said many times, if the dollar is an “I owe you nothing,” the euro is a “Who owes you nothing?” I think the big beneficiary will be gold. The problem for the world’s economy is that just a trillion dollars—which is only about 1/6 of the dollars outside the U.S. alone—can buy a billion ounces of gold, even at $1,000 an ounce. But only about four billion ounces have ever been mined.

It’s an explosive situation. The one thing you can count on when there’s a crisis is that the government will “do something,” which means controlling its subjects—not, God forbid, itself. And that something is likely to be foreign exchange controls. A small straw in the wind is the new regulation making it illegal to export more than $5 worth of pennies and nickels, because their metal is worth more than their face value—even though there’s no longer much copper in the pennies or nickel in the nickels.

If an American doesn’t get significant assets outside the U.S. now, it may be impossible in the future. The best thing to do is buy real estate abroad, since it’s currently not reportable, like bank and brokerage accounts, and they can’t very well make you repatriate it. I expect, however, very few people will take my advice, even though they may agree with it. But everybody gets what he deserves, so it’s not a problem..

Q. Looking at the broad picture, it seems like the U.S. government is facing nearly insurmountable odds. The cost of government has soared to something over 50% of GDP, weighing heavily on the private sector, yet there is no end in sight to the wide river of can’t-stop spending… on the military, on Social Security and Medicare—especially in the face of the baby boomers beginning to retire. How does the country manage to maintain that?

A. Nothing lasts forever. I’ll be surprised if the U.S. is able to maintain its present geographic boundaries for this century. The Mexicans talk of the Reconquista; the gringos stole the Southwest from them in the 1800s, and they’re likely to take it back. What do you think the odds are that a young Latino male in California, 20 years from now, is going to pay 20% of his wages in Social Security and Medicare to support some old white broad in Massachusetts? Especially since he knows he’s never going to get an aluminum nickel back? Even today, polls show that more kids believe in aliens than believe they’ll see any Social Security money.

We’ve had really good times for a whole generation. People become fat and sassy, or in the case of Americans, obese and arrogant, during good times. They don’t think of hanging their leaders from lamp posts until things get seriously bad.

I don’t know how bad things will get. But when I’m asked, I’m prone to quip “Worse than even I think they’ll get.”

Q. You and the team at Casey Research have been vocal about expecting a major inflation. Yet, other than occasional surprises, inflation doesn’t seem to be much of a problem. What gives?

A. Things that you expect to happen usually take longer than you’d think. But once the process gets underway, they usually happen much more quickly. It’s like a boulder balanced on the edge of a cliff; nothing seems to happen until it happens all at once. Just adjust that analogy to the scale of a human lifespan.

The word "inflation" covers two different concepts, and it's important to keep them separate. One concept is monetary inflation, which is an increase in the supply of money that outruns growth in the supply of goods and services. Papering over problems with yet more money is now the default solution for governments around the world. Case in point, when faced with the growing problems associated with the subprime mortgage sector, the European Central Bank announced that it would make “unlimited” funds available to the banking sector. The Fed will, predictably, react in the same way, running the printing presses overtime.

The other concept is price inflation, which is an increase in the overall level of prices for goods and services.

The relationship between the two is the relationship of cause and effect. Monetary inflation causes price inflation. But while almost everyone sees price inflation when it happens, few people notice the monetary inflation that is causing it. And so they tend to blame the producers of goods and services for higher prices—rather than the money-creating government that is the true culprit.

We’re now experiencing a lot of monetary inflation, which eventually will be reflected in price inflation. What’s really going to tip this over the edge, however, is the rest of the world deciding to get out of dollars. A lot of those $6 trillion abroad are going to come back to the U.S., and real goods are going to be packed up and shipped abroad. Inflation will explode.

It’s just a matter of time. But I think it’s going to happen this cycle.

Q. How do you think the Chinese currently view the U.S.? Recently they threatened to use the “nuclear option”, dumping their U.S. dollar reserves in response to anti-Chinese legislation making its way through the U.S. Congress. Do you think there is any scenario under which they would let the dollar collapse, given that they own about one trillion of the things?

A. It’s said the Chinese need us to provide a market for their goods. Which is absurd. Markets are about trade. You send me a load of VCRs; I send you a new Cadillac. Right now the Chinese are getting nothing in return for their VCRs but IOUs. If those IOUs aren’t redeemed—and at this point there are so many I’m not sure how they could be—they might as well send their goods to the North Koreans in return for IOUs. Or dump them into the ocean, if the only idea is to keep the factories humming and people employed. At some point the Chinese will want payment in something other than dollars.

In the meantime the yuan will go higher. It’s a good thing for them. It will lower the cost of importing capital goods, technology and raw materials. It will force their manufacturers to be even more efficient. It will make buying foreign companies cheaper. It will raise the standard of living of the average Chinese, defusing some political problems. A strong currency is a good thing. Too bad the U.S. will be on the opposite side of that trade. It was a pathetic embarrassment to see Bernanke and that other buffoon from Treasury lecturing the Chinese on how to manage their currency.

Q. You are on record as leaning toward an inflationary meltdown versus a recessionary one. But what about all the debt? Won’t people paying down their loans and refusing to go further into debt—because for one thing, pretty much everyone who ever wanted a house now has one—result in less spending? And less money chasing more goods would seem to suggest a recession.

A. The first point is not to confuse terms. In today’s vernacular, a recession can be defined as a very mild or short depression. A depression can be given any of three definitions. One, most broadly, is a period when most people’s standard of living drops significantly. Two, it’s a period when the business cycle climaxes. And, three, it’s a period when distortions and misallocations of capital are liquidated. There’s much more to be said on all of these, but now’s not the time.

Inflation, on the other hand, is a monetary phenomenon. You can have either an inflationary depression, like Germany in the ‘20s, or a deflationary one, like the U.S. in the ‘30s. The opposite of depression isn’t inflation; it’s prosperity. And you certainly don’t need inflation to create prosperity. Inflation is a drag on prosperity; it’s a tax on cash, because the government gets to spend the new money it creates while your old money depreciates.

What do I think is likely? Certainly a depression, probably of the inflationary type. But if there are widespread defaults in the mortgage market because of a housing bust, hundreds of billions of dollars worth of buying would disappear, which is deflationary. You could have both things happening at once, in different parts of the economy.

Q. Last year you went on record early calling for gold to top $700, which it did. But you expected it to end the year at about $750. Currently, it trades at around $665. Why do you think it didn’t hold up? And, just for entertainment purposes, how high do you think it will trade in 2007?

A. I’m sure the government, directly and indirectly, did everything it could to keep the price down. The last thing they want to see is a gold panic. So the short run is hard to predict. But we’re still relatively early, certainly in terms of price, in what will be a bull market for the record books. It’s as if you can see the perfect storm brewing. Since I’ve been involved in the markets, there have been a number of times when things could have come unglued—‘70-‘71, with the stock market crash and the devaluation of the dollar, ‘73-‘74, with another market meltdown and financial crisis, ‘80-‘82, when commodities and interest rates both went through the roof, ‘87, ‘92, ‘98, the tech meltdown… Throughout that time, I’ve always tended to be a bear. In other words, I’ve tended to make my money during the crises; it’s relatively easy to make money during good times. As the tech boom proved, any i/diot who knows nothing about the markets or the economy, can do it.

My guess is that the next crisis is going to be breathtaking. And it’s not going to be just financial, but economic, social, military and political. Of course, I hope I’m wrong. If I’m wrong, I’m not likely to get hurt, for a number of reasons. But I don’t want to be inconvenienced if I’m right.

So where is gold going? I notice that it is starting to move counter to the equity markets in this current crisis, as it should given the inflationary implications of the massive government bail outs and the increased likelihood that the Fed will be forced to rates, making the dollar a less attractive holding for foreigners. I hate making predictions, but if things continue down this path, I think we could see gold going over $1,000 within the next 12 months, and maybe even before year-end. And then the mania starts for the mining stocks.

Follow Doug’s mining stock recommendations and gold’s climb in his monthly newsletter, the International Speculator.

at http://news.goldseek.com/DougCasey/1186780040.php

http://sttc.net.au/~stever

captain_chaza
Username: captain_chaza

Post Number: 2617

Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy There??

Welcome to the 21st Century!

Gold is not a safe haven and has not been so for many many years

In this new age
Gold is just an Industrial Metal like all others
A Metal? -Is a Metal -Is a Metal!

Nothing More and Nothing Less

The "Times" are not a changing,
They changed a long time ago!

A metal is a Metal, is a Metal, is a Metal
They are all precious

Salute and Gods' speed

"While we stop and think, we often miss our opportunity." Publilius Syrus, 1st century B.C.

"I believe the future is only the past again, entered through another gate."
Sir Arthur Wing Pinero 1893

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: When he can't afford it, and when he can." Mark Twain, 1897

hailoh
Username: hailoh

Post Number: 245

Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:10 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Captain,

I am the ultimate landlubber-live in the mountains and grow trees; live near an old gold field full of Chinese ghosts and mine shafts; still find EL pegs in my bit of the bush.

OK for you - if you've got a ballast full of gold you won't get far. But for mere mortals living with ghosts - gold's just part of the territory. As long as I think it is on the way up then I'll be part of the advance. Same as you would do with any other commodity (but keep your tappity tap shoes(or whatever you wear on deck) on and be ready to weave).

Good evening Kate,

I really don't know at this stage. I just haven't got inside the mentality of trading the bullion company. Right now I am well up by holding it. I would have thought that if the gold price goes up that even gold preference shares would be bullish. That is why I am puzzling over the chart patterns and where GOLD stands in relation to say LGL.

kate

Post Number: 718

Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 08:46 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hailoh

Perhaps this may help. As you can see the the real "gain" in gold is against the US dollar
http://www.the-privateer.com/chart/g-multi.html

Regards
Kate

archer
Username: archer

Post Number: 1861

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 08:23 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You hold gold for just such situations as these

Mike Kosares: The morning after the open-ended bailout
http://www.gata.org/node/5347

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2007/08/charlie-dont-su.html

If this doesn,t work CRRRRRAAAAASHHHHHHH
If it does we will have a highly inflationary BBBOOOOOOOMMMM
probably till the end of the decade

kate

Post Number: 719

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 09:46 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Archer
Thanks for posting the links, interesting breakfast reading.

I've been thinking about the ramifications over the last few days.

The central banks can't keep bailing out the other banks and this is still the tip of the iceberg in what is really known. I was wondering whether the bailout was to buy the central banks some time.

I remember reading the reason there wasn't a huge reaction (financial)to the London bombings was that the central banks had a specific communication link so they managed the crisis as one. They obviously had some sort of disaster plan which made the whole thing much easier to manage. There isn't a disaster plan for this because they don't know the extent of involvement of the financial institutions. Nothing has been said of JP Morgan yet(I think) and yet they have exposure.

CDO trade has ceased completely. No one is willing to be the first to put their hand up because they know it is going to be a bloodbath.

I think this weekend will be a central bankers talkfest, heavens knows what will be the result. As you said its either a crash or a huge inflationary boom followed by an even worse crash in a few years.

Or, maybe its because Paulson can't get China to revalue the Yuan and it would easier to devalue the world's fiat currencies instead!.............nothing like a conspiracy theory on a Sunday morning!

Regards
Kate

Or, did the ECB know the extent of the problem and that's why they have been selling gold?

hailoh
Username: hailoh

Post Number: 246

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 01:14 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Kate,

Thank you for the charts of gold v currencies. Mark was correct when he said the relative charts of LGL and GOLD were currency related. Over the past 18 months, the chart of LGL is similar to that of gold v $US and GOLD is similar to gold v $A. The answer to my earlier question therefore lies in where $A will sit against $US. Will 90 pull it up?

Again, looking at the LGL chart (and its twin gold v $US), one is tempted to think that a breakout is imminent. Will there be a false break down before an advance? It does happen often enough to suggest another nice trading opportunity is on the way.

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2621

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 04:56 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fear not Brave Katie

Nobody is printing new Monies this time around
Otherwise Gold would have already flown through the roof

Unlike all the other credit squeezes (Asian and Russian meltdowns included) the worlds' were cash poor and it seemed like a good idea at the time to print more money and then tackle Inflation at a latter date

All the developed countries are nowadays Cash rich beyond belief ( No need to bring out the printing presses this time)

Only hard earned/saved Government monies are being thrown out of helicopters to a targeted audience
Theoretically it is considered 12 month loans /bridging finance against secured housing loans as I understand it?

Crikey!
In Eco-Pol 101 the "Pol" stands for Politically Correct and as like clockwork
Our Honest Little Johnny Howard and his mate Georgie Walker Bush said they were relatively immune to a Sub-prime crisis

The next day as in concert they donated/lent ~>$4bln and >$40 bln to the cause

The big difference this time around is that "The printing presses remain idle"

Fear not Brave Katie
This Storm will simply Blow-Over before it Blows-Up (again)

Salute and Gods Speed

(Message edited by Captain_Chaza on August 12, 2007)

"While we stop and think, we often miss our opportunity." Publilius Syrus, 1st century B.C.

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: When he can't afford it, and when he can." Mark Twain, 1897

kate

Post Number: 720

Monday, August 13, 2007 - 09:45 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hailoh

Personally, I would adopt a wait and see approach. I think trying to predict anything at the moment might blow up in your face. If I was to trade LGL at all I would treat it like any other share, don't even think about the fact they are a gold producer.
It might be a good idea to ask Archer for some advice.

Regards
Kate

kate

Post Number: 721

Monday, August 13, 2007 - 09:54 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain C

You must have better sources than me because I couldn't find out much about the conditions of the bailout. Where am I not looking?

I would imagine we'll hear more about the extent of the debt crisis this week. Nothing like a weekend of overtime to work out the sums. You may see a move in gold yet.

Regards
Kate

archer

Post Number: 1862

Monday, August 13, 2007 - 09:41 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kate
The bailout is only a very short term fix-a few days only
as nobody knows how much is involved(thats the trouble with zero transparency)
There is more pooh on its way to the fan (;->

http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc070813.htm

http://www.morganstanley.com/views/gef/index.html#anchor5361

Once the scope of the problem starts to dawn on investors
lots of that heli-money will find itself cloaked in gold

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2626

Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:07 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Archie

I understand your concern but the Problem has been "Solved"

The only way you can fight against this lack of "Transparency" is in supplying "Unlimited Support"

This has been pledged by all the Developed World's

"Problem Solved!"

Salute and Gods' Speed

kate

Post Number: 722

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 09:02 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Archer, thanks for the links, now I understand exactly what has been going on.

Captain C
Am I correct in thinking that by bailing out those who needed it the central banks now know exactly who is in real trouble. If so, how long before us mere mortals know?

Regards
Kate

PS Another US bailout last night. I just don't understand how there can be buyers out there?

ingot54
Username: ingot54

Post Number: 1903

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 09:14 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MBL has exposure - you can bet the $32 million man (Alan Moss) is losing PLENTY of sleep lately.

Watch this space ...

Keep Smiling - Don't look back

Trading style: Chartist Artist _ Breakouts and Shakeouts.

dollars
Username: dollars

Post Number: 180

Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 05:30 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shawky
Are freebie user able to import the goldnerds stock files?

Interested in the goldnerds list of un or low hedged producers.

cheers John

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2693

Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 06:44 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Sea-Cadet- Officer and ample cook Braveheart

"Here Comes the Wind "

It might be best to set the Captain's Table for a few more Fair Weather sailors

Officers Peteloh, Rederob ,Archie, Clever Kenny and Smallworld

I fear our first Officer Spids has been lost at sea

Salute and God' speed

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2696

Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:19 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crikey!

That wind gust nearly threw me overboard!!
Hold onto your hats

There is Something the Air and I don't think it is Love

Salute and Gods' speed

sumamura
Username: sumamura

Post Number: 80

Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:09 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weekly levels - commodities - 10th / 14th september 2007
application/vnd.ms-excelx
commodity.xls (16.4 k)

tryhay
Username: tryhay

Post Number: 764

Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 07:03 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One month of no posts......

The gold chart suggests the breakout has been tested and price looks ready to keep on rising for a time.

$gold

Anyone else long gold ATM?

easymoney
Username: easymoney

Post Number: 81

Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 10:35 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trouble with assessing gold at the moment is that the yardstick used to measure its value (US$) is highly elastic and has been shrinking during the latest advance.

What does the POG chart look like measured in A$?

Two of them say they're Jesus.
One of them must be wrong.

Industrial Disease
Dire Straits

ingot54

Post Number: 1944

Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 11:36 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree 100% Easymoney.

Comparing apples with apples soon exposes the lemon.

Trading style: Chartist Artist _ Breakouts and Shakeouts.

tryhay

Post Number: 766

Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 08:37 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the response guys ~ I take it you are not long gold or gold stocks? If that is in fact true then what stocks are you guys into?

I sold out of gold in australian $ (perth mint warrants) but FWIW am long in gold equities since ~ August:

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=316907&post=1204 30#POST120430

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=316907&post=1223 20#POST122320

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=8&post=120937#PO ST120937

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=8&post=120766#PO ST120766

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=8&post=120405#PO ST120405

http://www.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=8&post=121825#PO ST121825

The way the gold chart looks (Post Number: 764 above) I suggest gold (in US $) & gold equities (even Australian ones) are likely to keep trending higher til the end of year......

Care to share which equities/sectors you guys are into? ~ for interest sake.....

kate

Post Number: 762

Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 09:27 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tryhay
I think the ASX are introducing ETFs which track the US and UK gold price but not sure when. Might be worth a visit to the ASX website. Stay away from GOLD unless the A$ tanks which I can't forsee happening for some time.

If you have time look for gold companies which have mines in the US or any country pegged to the US$. Should have done this homework myself but haven't had the time.

Regards
Kate

rederob

Post Number: 2305

Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 02:54 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gold and oil have run to plan.
$8oo confined to cyclical history.
Still more upside to both.
Although gold has had a very solid run and could take a DEEP breath any time soon.
Next hurdle for gold will be $1000 as I don't think $900 has that psychological factor that worries us.
Technically it's a different story as $900 is being proposed as the cycle peak.
I think much could depend if POG disconnects from POO.
Onwards and upwards?

tryhay

Post Number: 844

Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 06:38 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gold has had a stella run recently & the indicators are suggesting that it may just continue on its merry way after the recent consolidation.

Daily chart: Getting near the pointy end.....

au

24Hr Chart: Gold Price rising.....

24Hr_gold_12

FWIW The bottom line (from KITCO's Wendy Lynn Ip): "Given the responsiveness of most of the precious metals to the dollar’s value, a rate reduction may yield higher prices for gold, silver, and platinum, but this may not always be the case. Last week showed an overall decoupling of silver and platinum group metals from gold, oil, and the dollar as other factors (miner’s strike, lower prices, broad economic fundamentals) played a role in price path determination. Moreover, market participants are trying to reaffirm the economy’s position based on updated statistics. This air of uncertainty will run until the FOMC makes its interest rate announcement, revealing its position on inflationary threats as well as its concerns to maximum employment – two elements of the dual mandate. Which one will outweigh the other, and in light of the decisions made by other central banks, will ultimately determine the rate adjustment. Again, if inflation is seen as more of a threat, the rate will not be changed, and if an economic slowdown is more threatening, the rate will increase"

LGL is looking like a buy ATM...

goldbug
Username: goldbug

Post Number: 324

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 06:28 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never seen anything like that before ....

holy mother of ......

ingot54

Post Number: 2072

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 07:12 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this good news or ... ?

My secret Contacts at Bloomberg tell me that the gold spike this afternoon was due to the likelihood of costlier oil going forward.

"We remain bullish longer-term due to lower interest-rate expectations, oil-related inflation and the current geo- political climate,'' James Moore, a precious metals analyst with TheBullionDesk.com, said today in an e-mail.

Gold for February delivery rose as much as $15.90, or 1.8 percent, to $877.90 an ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The metal was 1.6 percent higher at $875.40 in after-hours trading as of 8:30 a.m. London time.

zzzzzzzzzz ... eh huh ... smuff kaff splut ... mmm ... zzzzzzzzzzz

Go back to sleep guys ... it will be all right tomorrow.

Bullion to cost more_oh dear

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2925

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 07:15 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Spotted Officer Goldbugs

I have !
Back in '86-'87 I think it was

Hold onto your hat
Here Comes The Wind!

Salute and Gods' speed

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2926

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 08:29 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Goldbuggie

You may also refer to your own post on July 9 2007 and see how inflation effected the markets at that time

Salute and Gods' speed

Crikey! Can anyone see any Bearish Skippers around At This Minute??

I can't!

(Message edited by Captain_Chaza on January 08, 2008)

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2927

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 09:07 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Goldbugs/aka Explod

Please Tread Carefully!

Posting the same chart on more than one forum could be viewed as RAMPING?

Salute and Gods' speed

PS Attention to Detail is Everything

jimmyswell
Username: jimmyswell

Post Number: 166

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 09:43 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Cap'n Chaz,

We've missed you over on the weekly comp where the dinghys are getting a severe buffetting.

Maintaining the gold theme of this thread, some of us have sought safe harbour in Auric companies like FML and EQI.

Are you taking one of your golfing breaks during this storm or have you found some treasure that you can share with the rest of us?

Regards,
Jimmy

archer

Post Number: 1868

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 08:28 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya cant fool GOLD
Subprime=PRINT,PRINT,PRINT=Inflation
Gold hit 1000 ozbucks for the first time ever
Silver at 18

GOLDSPEED (;->

US Stocks 15-minute delayed

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Gold - Close to another runscarlettsmith69429 29-May-19  02:52 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through September 04, 2009goldbug50 04-Sep-09  02:45 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through June 02, 2007rederob25 02-Jun-07  09:47 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through February 24, 2007vermante25 24-Feb-07  04:03 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through January 14, 2007rederob25 14-Jan-07  10:39 am
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through December 06, 2006archer25 06-Dec-06  08:38 am
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through September 12, 2006archer25 12-Sep-06  06:45 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through August 29, 2006rederob25 29-Aug-06  06:33 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through July 15, 2006archer25 15-Jul-06  01:24 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through June 09, 2006rederob25 09-Jun-06  05:23 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through May 24, 2006justice25 24-May-06  10:25 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through April 30, 2006archer30 30-Apr-06  03:47 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through March 06, 2006goldbug36 06-Mar-06  09:42 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through January 17, 2006vermante25 17-Jan-06  06:44 am

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»