You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade Trends with Bollonger Bands and Twiggs Money Flow

Archive through February 02, 2005

Chart Forum » Gold & Precious Metals » GOLD-Anyone for tea? » Archive through February 02, 2005

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
vermante
Username: vermante

Post Number: 229

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 02:01 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A strengthening U.S dollar and rising U.S interest rates , is a negative for Gold.

Global political uncertainty is a positive for Gold . The anticipated political turmoil over the week-end elections in Iraq should see Gold hold over $U.S 420 in the next few days .

Which way will it break?Toss of the coin odds. Gold breaks below $418 - Could see it hit further lows.

Cheers

Vermante

rederob
Username: rederob

Post Number: 572

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 03:32 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vermante
I think the issue of interest rates and POG is a massive furphy.
Note that as US interest rates have risen in the past year, so too has POG.
If interest rates continue to rise, the value of the greenback effectively decreases. This is the environment where gold comes into its own as it remains an intrinsic store of wealth/value.
It is instructive to read the key commentators 2005 forecast for precious metals: No massive gain in price over 2004, but no real weakness either:-
http://www.lbma.org.uk/publications/2005survey.pdf
Typically we err on the conservative side in early year forecasting unless the event horizon has something obvious to work from.
The obvious is US ability to service massive twin debts. Less obvious is timing the inevitable meltdown.

vermante

Post Number: 230

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 04:39 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rederob,

You may well be right. I have read several convincing arguments from both camps . At the end of the day , as a trader I have to make a decision.As my trading horizon is short term , I will let the technicals be the arbitrator in the matter. If POG drops below U.S $418 , I will be looking for alternative investments

Cheers

Vermante

archer
Username: archer

Post Number: 457

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 06:14 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A picture says so many words[;->
intgold

(Message edited by archer on January 26, 2005)

vermante

Post Number: 232

Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:48 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wall Street advice: Get heavy on metal

Refer kitco.com

Last week, Merrill Lynch & Co. resurrected its Metals & Mining Weekly research report after three years of silence. Earlier this month, Byron Wien, Morgan Stanley's senior investment strategist, said that silver, now at $6.71 an ounce, has the potential to trade above $10 this year; gold, he said, may rise above $500. (It's currently trading at $422.) A new gold exchange-traded fund, or ETF, launched last year to track movements in that precious metal, and the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, where metals trading occurs, is soon to release its own ETFs that will act as metal index funds.

Lets hope it can hold above $420. ?

Cheers

Vermante

rederob

Post Number: 575

Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:28 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CRS announcement today a mixed bag.
CRS has increased reserves to all time record levels.
Gold production will not be strong until later in year when St Patrick's orebody is fully developed.
Hedging has worked well to date with AUD POG lower than rates delivered into, and with good exposure to spot market when that's a better deal.
Financially speaking CRS is already in a very strong position, and this will likely improve again in 2006 when it tackles its best orebodies. At the same time CRS is continuing its excellent run of orebody exploration/extension.
And the one that many may have missed: CRS has dipped into the kitty to part fund a Ghanian gold mine (unlisted for now) - let's see how that one pans out.

goldbug
Username: goldbug

Post Number: 79

Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 12:21 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=aAvDTJpsO1Nk&refer=home

You cant argue with their logic (Gates and Buffett)
Not so long ago I read Buffett was recommending hard assets ie Gold, Silver etc as a hedge against the dollars demise.....so far so good.

GB

rederob

Post Number: 576

Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 07:05 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

goldbug
If Gates decided to store a few tonnes of gold in a conspicuous place and post pictures on the internet we could see a rush!!!!
In the meantime, let's practise our bridge and see if we can gatecrash one of Gates online games.

keith_s
Username: keith_s

Post Number: 15

Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 07:39 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think that POG will be moving north from 5 to 20 March 2005?

rederob

Post Number: 578

Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 07:57 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keith
Check the above gold chart posted 26 January.
The upward trend in intact and we are presently in a very strong consolidation phase - 4th week.
The typical pattern following consolidation has been an upside breakout over many weeks.
This is again quite likely for 2 compelling reasons.
First, the greenback is waning, so weakness will rally gold.
Secondly, in euro terms, gold has moved steadily higher during the month, signalling confidence in the precious metal.
Less evident is what US equities may do in coming weeks. My view, which is not worth a cracker, is that US equities will be generally lower due to an overall inability to impress the market about future growth.

archer

Post Number: 461

Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 12:55 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey goldbug
Buffet and Gates have seen this coming for quite a while
Buffet purchased 120 million ounces of silver in the late 90s and a few years later Gates started buying large chunks
of Americas largest silver mining companies and from memory
i think Soros was doing the same as Gates
---------------------
Can edible gold be recycled
http://www.gildedplanet.com/ediblegoldleaf.asp
---------------------
Another gold ETF hits the boards
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2C%2C8209-1460595%2C00.html

goldbug
Username: goldbug

Post Number: 80

Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edible Gold!!!!

Who said you can't eat it......

Archer, what are you like at driving a transit van very fast through the streets of London????
Just give me a few minutes in that vault and i don't know what i'm liable to do...

Rederob,
I've tried hacking in but I dont know how to play bridge..

GB

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Hamilton/jan282005.html

Could be some more downside left in this correctional phase..
But at some stage we need the break from the $US/Euro.
With all the talk at Davos over the weekend about currencies and the imbalances in the world economies the time could be near when the POG rises in all currencies...

fox_terrier
Username: fox_terrier

Post Number: 318

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 10:34 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rederob,

I have just been alerted to AGC. I have done some research and it looks like a promising gold/nickel play.

Do you know anything about this one and could you explain the following paragraph.

At the end of the Quarter, the Company had 263,327
ounces of gold hedged on a Flat Forward basis at
A$601 per ounce with monthly delivery varying in
accordance with anticipated production levels to July
2007. The marked to market value of the hedge book
at 31 December 2004 was negative $1.1 million using a
spot gold price of A$563.

I don't get the negative bit.

Cheers
FT

rederob

Post Number: 582

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

foxy
I do not know much about Agincourt apart from the fact it has a massive prospective gold tenement, relatively high cash costs (of production) and a good rate of return.
I am not at all expert on hedging, and am confused as you about what they have stated as it seems not to make sense, nor do the maths work out: Compare with Lihir's recent statement - they have a negative mark to market of $220m because they have lousy hedge prices.
Given AGC will receive higher delivered-into prices, I thought they would have a POSITIVE mark to market.
I guess the important thing to understand is that AGC will be receiving over AU$600/oz while the spot price is presently around $45/oz less - and that's a great deal.

fox_terrier

Post Number: 319

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 11:06 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi rederob,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i thought production costs were on the high side but i liked the hedge price as well. I also like the chart action since the low of 1.65 on 10 Jan, a good BF set up although more volume in next few days would be nice.

Cheers
FT

fox_terrier

Post Number: 320

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 11:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys,

A little something i read and liked.

An Illustration of the Mass Mindset in Action
by Sol Palha

"It's not the bulls and bears you need to avoid -- it's the bum steers." - Chuck Hillis

1 = stock is going no where, it's pure junk let me look at something else.

2 = lucky break, it's going to definitely crash.

3 = what it's still going up earnings are not so good people are definitely getting carried away its going to pull back and crash.

4 = ahh see I knew it was going to crash, thank God I did not buy. (Mistake the mass mindset misses the main point here. Yes it pulled back, but look where the pull back ended miles away from its first break out. A losers mind can only see the picture for what it is not, by replacing it with a picture from his or her imagination. Since they live in a losing sphere they focus on the negative aspects but not on the positive aspects).

5 = what happened here this stock was supposed to crash how the hell did it get here. Perhaps I should have bought I could have made a lot of money; this looks like a sure thing. So only halfway through stage 5 will the mass mindset decide its safe to venture out. Now this person finally musters the courage to buy. Vow it actually went up, great I making money.

6 = this stock is going to go to the moon let me tell all my friends about it; it looks like a sure thing.

7 = what happened it pulled back ahh I am not going to fall for this like I fell for it last time (look at number 4). Time to buy more, buy on the dip that's it.

8 = I knew it, its going up and I made more money, wish I had bought more. Next time I will invest more on the pull back. (Notice the loser's mindset does not bother to take time to notice that the stock did not put in a new high. All that matters is that it went up).

9 = it's going down again, time to really load up I don't want to lose this opportunity. Earnings are great so it must be a good time to buy some more.

10 = first dose of bad news and the stock takes a big hit, okay this is just temporary its going to go back up. (Blind faith huge mistake, one of the main ingredients of a losing mindset). Let me buy more and average down.

11 = maybe I should sell now things don't look good, but you know what let me just hold for a bit longer maybe things will change. Yeah things have to change look how fast this stock went up and it has pulled back so much. The worst is over it has to go up.

12 = this stock is dead I have to get out, its not going anywhere (this is when the stocks start to bottom. The secret programmed desire to lose syndrome has completed its mission. Trader is in state of extreme distress and shell-shocked). I am never going to look at this stock again I knew it was garbage why did I ever buy it in the first place.

13 = Slow base formations and the possible start of new up trend and the worst part is that this trader is out.

Conclusion

Take a close look at the above picture; the masses will react in the same way when it comes to this commodities bull market. They will dump when they should be buying and then they will try to buy when they should be selling. Nothing in this world comes easy for it did it was not worth it in the first place. So make sure you're positioned well to take advantage of the coming spectacular bull market. So far we have just barely begun the first run.

Cheers
FT

archer

Post Number: 469

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 09:33 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

February 1, 2005

"The big news out of Davos was [that] Chinese economist Fan Gang told the world that the dollar's days are numbers. The greenback won't stop "devaluating," he said. So, China will look elsewhere to place its reserves.

"America desperately needs China's cooperation. U.S. current account deficit is at a record high of about $650 billion; that is, it is greater than it was before the dollar fell. And the U.S. federal deficit is on course for a new record too - at about $427 billion for this year. And according to most recent reports, 83% of this shortfall is financed by foreign central banks. The overseas banks already hold more than $1 trillion of U.S. Treasury debt, $906 billion of which is just two places - Tokyo and Beijing.

"There is a limit, said Alan Greenspan a few months ago, "to the willingness of foreign governments to finance U.S. current account deficits." Fan Gang seemed to be saying that the limit had been reached."

Bill Bonner

My comments--
We are witnessing the demise of the current superpower
and the ascent of the next one
The outgoing is very hostile towards gold
The incoming is very gold friendly
Got Gold??? or Silver for that matter

rederob

Post Number: 583

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 11:30 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archer
The bulls are calmly grazing - out to pasture.
The bears are sleeping.
Watching paint dry is such good fun for now!
Another cup of tea?

chance
Username: chance

Post Number: 454

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:48 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MmmoOOOOoo snort,

Puts head over farm gate.

Ah, there's farmer Arch and farmer Red.

Hey blokes, I'm looking for some el cheapo speculative gold producers.

Got any?

chomp chomp

hilarius
Username: hilarius

Post Number: 456

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 01:24 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newcrest?

Just divide your available cash by the price LOL

{Only joking, haven't checked its trend recently)

Gympie Gold could be going cheaply ... check with the Liquidator

Hilarius

I come in peace to share my thoughts and to shine my candle light on possible long term opportunities

rederob

Post Number: 584

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 04:04 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ol' McDonad had a farm, DIO, DIO, d!
And on that farm he had some gold
DIO,DIO d!
With a DIO here and a DIO there...
But I'm just speculating

chance

Post Number: 455

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 04:38 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was very funny, but I think you just picked DIO 'cos of the name.
(Dioro Exploration NL (DIO) is a mineral exploration company focused primarily on gold projects in Western Australia. The companys main focus in on the development of the Frogs Leg Gold Project.)

Problem is I don't like Frogs Legs and had some moooolah burning a hole in my bucket, I mean pocket.
Couldn't find anything in time so ended up buying some black gold (NDO) instead.

But tank you very muck, hay.

greenspansgout
Username: greenspansgout

Post Number: 4

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 03:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chance:

Try BMO on the ASX. Not in production yet, but with an excellent resource at high grade and reasonably low production costs. Not too many shares on offer, neither, and no options to kill the fun. Should be producing around Sept 2005.

I also like MTO on the ASX: has a massive resource on mainland Africa - plus one of the Canadian mega-goldies has bought in, and the resource will probably be palmed off to them at some stage in the first half of 05. (this will spike the price IMO)

Hope these two please your eye and bank balance if you buy in.

rederob

Post Number: 585

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 07:03 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

greenspangout
I looked over BMAgold's BMO chart and it's interesting:

I think the post 2003 action is all that should be concentrated on - with trading volumes perking up considerably in last 6 months.
That said, this chart does not do BMO justice, so others may want to give it a TA makeover over last 6-12months.
Have to agree that BMO is a great speculative goldie, and better than DIO apart from fact that DIO is a year ahead in the output stakes.
I shall watch it from now.
Thanks for the great suggestion.

chance

Post Number: 457

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 08:27 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greenspansgout,

Have put them in my Gold watchlist, ta.

I like the look of MTO, will wait and see if it can close over 50c

Do you have an opinion on YAM ?
At $0.01 it looks like a speculators dream, but would the money be better spent on lotto tickets, or invested with that nice gentleman that rang from Nigeria ?

Are you related to packerskidney?

Regards

chance

ASX Stocks 20-minute delayed

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through October 11, 2005kate25 11-Oct-05  03:53 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through October 06, 2005justice25 06-Oct-05  06:23 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through September 24, 2005vermante25 24-Sep-05  12:58 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through September 17, 2005ingot5425 17-Sep-05  05:17 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through August 17, 2005rederob68 17-Aug-05  10:26 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through June 18, 2005rederob25 18-Jun-05  10:14 am
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through June 11, 2005rederob74 11-Jun-05  10:51 am
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through May 13, 2005vermante25 13-May-05  01:46 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through April 27, 2005goldbug25 27-Apr-05  02:22 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through April 07, 2005goldbug25 07-Apr-05  06:39 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through March 17, 2005goldbug25 17-Mar-05  09:59 am
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through February 23, 2005muzza25 23-Feb-05  09:29 am
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through February 11, 2005rederob25 11-Feb-05  11:36 pm
GOLD-Anyone for tea? Archive through January 26, 2005goldbug25 26-Jan-05  11:46 am

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»