Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
cdhamo
Username: cdhamo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Monday, April 20, 2015 - 01:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to create a search that will show:-

The MACD line to cross over the signal line, with both being below the "0" indicator.

When I try to add these 2 indicators, it comes up with an contradiction error...

Any ideas?

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 1965

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 03:41 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Crossover is when MACD crosses its signal line. Above is when MACD crosses above the signal line (the Histogram crosses to positive) and Below is the opposite.

Above/Below zero filters for MACD against the zero line. Above Zero indicates an up-trend, the faster moving average is higher than the slower MA, while below indicates the opposite.

The two should be used in conjunction as in the following example:

MACD

The last 20 days are excluded in MACD Above/Below Zero (MACDZ) to eliminate stocks where MACD is whipsawing around zero. If MACD is oscillating above zero, that indicates a strong trend.

My views expressed on this forum do not consider your personal circumstances and should not be considered as financial advice. Please conduct your own research.

spdfgh
Username: spdfgh

Post Number: 127

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having trouble with the 'exclude' parameter of the MACD screen filter (nothings changed!);
Populated filter stocks are either too far into a long term cross of signal above zero, or are too for bellow zero in the cross of signal. I need to get it just right so when the long term MACD is 'about' the zero line and take trades off the shorter term MACD cross of signal either when its above or below zero.

Using a monthly price chart:

(Long Term) MACD Wk 100,50, for cross of > or = zero by MACD.main, when Macd.main => Macd.signal

when above is true to take trades off the signal cross of the following:

(shorter term) MACD Dy 100,50 the main cross signal to above.

Can you suggest where I'm going wrong?

p.s.
Would it not be easier and timely to start referring to equational terms to describe indicator filter screens? for example:
MACD:Wk:100:50.main=>MACD Signal:Dy:100:50 and MACD.Wk:100:50.main =>zero and MACD.Dy:100:50.main.=>MACD:Dy:100:50.signal> and MACD.Dy:100:50.main=zero

Surley it's the next step in I.C. development that will free up filter screens to accommodate broader filters * eventually customized indicator screens...
}

spdfgh

Post Number: 128

Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 10:27 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above post being 'not quite correct' I have attempted the following as an indication of what needs to be programmed for a 'signal' generating chart event:

MACD main cross signal (positive); [1] bar (period) back to qualify
if MACD:Wk:100:50 > MACD Signal:Dy:100:50 and MACD:Wk:100:50[1] <= MACD Signal:Dy:100:50[1]

Macd Main cross Zero (positive)
if MACD.Wk:100:50 >0 and MACD.Wk:100:50.main[1] <=0

Tracking MACD Histogram rising
if MACDHUDC.Dy:26:12:9 >= MACDHUDC.Dy:26:12:9[1]
and MACDHUDC.Dy:26:12:9[1] >= MACDHUDC.Dy:26:12:9[2]

Macd Histogram cross 0 line
and MACDHUDC.Dy:26:12:9 >0 and MACD HUDC.Dy:26:12:9[1]<=0

Tracking Stochastic and MACD together for a signal on macd when event = true (MACD cross above signal, and Stochastic moving positive and cross above zero line)

if MACD:Wk:100:50 > MACD Signal:Dy:100:50 and MACD:Wk:100:50[1] <= MACD Signal:Dy:100:50[1]
and SSTO %K WK:5:3 SMA > SSTO %K WK:5:3 SMA[1] and SSTO %K WK:5:3 SMA >0 and SSTO %K WK:5:3 SMA[1] <=0

Of course there is more to it to generate a mark signal on a chart like; where on the chart it would be placed (top, bottom, above candle, bellow candle,... and what type of signal symbol to generate; arrow, dot, box or colour the candle,... what colour to use etc.
But all this can be handled by sensible programming of the GUI it could all be done by point and click operations from a menu. There need be no manual scripting by the user.

jjll29
Username: jjll29

Post Number: 132

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:13 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all

Would be easier to do the MACD screen like the following?

Set the time parameter: daily, weekly, monthly, etc
set the value for DEA and DIF: > or <0> 0 which gives more accurate signal)
and the last, cross over parameter.

Collin

Does the programmer know about TA? When it is programmed, has there been any feedback and import from the ultimate users about what they expect about the outcome and decision making? Sometimes I find that the designer/manufacturer of certain product seem not knowing enough about the needs of the end user (that can be very environmentally or situational specific) that leave large space for improvement.
Effective communication can be very helpful in this regards.

Also may I suggest when designing a screening function, it is possible to leave it very open? For example, instead of using fixed value of over bought and over sold area or RSI 70/30, leaving it for the end user to set their own value--it can be 75/25, 80/20 or something else. If end users have more flexibility in setting different values, then their needs shall be more efficiently satisfied I suppose.

Just a bit words off the track. I encountered some trading software packages that Chinese use for the their market. It is mind boggling as the functionality and the number of indicators and choices for making different analysis are just unbelievable, and those software allow user to design their own indicators. They are like PHD level of charting in comparison with many popular charting packages, which are at high school or university level. And that is not all. The trial package gets all functions from TA to fundamental analysis, the data are dynamic and totally FREE, and there is no expiry date for the trial-you can use it for as long as you like, for free!

You know, sometimes I really feel the Chinese have left us far behind in many aspects. And sarcastic enough, many politicians are still viewing Chinese as a communist country and regards it as potential threat because their mind are full of cold war mentality. If things keep on going like this, the gap will be even bigger, as they do their best in focus to develop their economy.

Ultimately, it is the economic development that really counts. Only with strong economy can we make ourselves stronger and more powerful, otherwise we will be left in the cold, jumping and yelling with jealousy,helplessness and fear, wasting lots of valuable time and opportunities in the mean time.

Only through comparison can we find out what is better. Frogs living at the bottom of a deep well naturally believe the whole world is the sky they can see from its top......I just feel sad to find that many people, especially in the parliament and congress, the way they think about themselves and things around the world, still remain in 30 or even 40 years ago.

Well, chatting too much :P))

Wish we all have happy trading!

Jason

spdfgh

Post Number: 215

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jason
Good luck with the Incredible Charts case.
Can you give the name of the Chinese software?
Have you tried ProRealTime?

jjll29

Post Number: 133

Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 08:47 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you spdfgh.

Try www.gw.com.cn maybe they require a mobile number in China to receive access code before giving you a trial account. Nevertheless, give it a try and see what happens.

www.120918.com, its standard version is free permanently (free data too). Pro version costs about AUD100/year (a friction of what it costs here?), including special indicators and level 3 market depth etc). Before 2007, it has already started to do market analysis seminar four times a day: before market opens, mid day, after market closes and night time around 8pm local time)
you can try this as well: http://download.10jqka.com.cn/ then pic PC free version

I will try Pro realtime, thank you.

I also use CMCmarkets' stock broking standard version advanced charts. Very nice platform. Unfortunately I really like market profile indicator which I can't see anywhere else that can match with some Chinese software. If you do a search for free chinese charting software, you may find many as well.

Cheers

Jason

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2186

Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 09:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jason,

The stock screen uses pre-calculated values. It was built some years ago and needs revision. We plan to build a new stock screen from scratch to allow user-selected values. Not sure how long it will take but we will take your comments into account.

Regards,
Colin

My views expressed on this forum do not consider your personal circumstances and should not be considered as financial advice. Please conduct your own research.

jjll29

Post Number: 134

Saturday, December 09, 2017 - 10:11 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello spdfgh

I just tried pro realtime. It covers many markets, which is its strong point, but in regards of analysis it is below average I think.

Thank you.

Cheers

Jason

spdfgh

Post Number: 216

Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 10:20 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, really when you think about it you will realise what you get in the market data supply pretty much defines what a charting package can do, that there is only so much that can be done with 'open close high low volume' market data. You could run future predictive heuristic algorithms on market data, if you had the programming talent to author your ideas. But alas, market data is what it is when it happens not before it happens, so it all comes back to analysing what 'has' happened.
Incredible charts is probably one of the more basic 'vanilla' type platforms with some strengths and limitations.

Great Wisdom Finance have some interesting features like Quantitative strategies, Capture the dark horse of the wave tactics, Seen through the doorway auction, Open daily limit dialysis dealer behavior, High three black crows, Teach your MACD Sicha run faster, A male wearing a strong start triplet, Jedi bottom of the red three soldiers, Sharing of Crouching Tiger, "Gold Pit" real escapement cattle surgery.

I note a lot of their strategies are using lagging moving averages like just about every other charting platform out there, I also note in one video of the MACD strategy the focus was on the MACD line crossing not the histogram.
As far as the platform goes; I think the difference being that China has a cheaper programming population pool to draw upon?
Personally I think they have taken gambling to a whole new level.

If you were to anti up and pay for higher level data; like that which comes with market open book data information, you could then database and analyse the orders as they appear much like: (https://iguana2.com/spark).
Another long term trading package is VectorVest (Australia) might be worth a look.

It has been my personal complaint for years that (especially) the ASX stock market charting platforms, that the programming is really not up to the task. Look abroad: TD AmeriTrade have some fantastic third party applications, including QuoteTracker.
https://www.tdameritrade.com/tools-and-platforms.page

I have attempted to outline what could be a good trading system in another post, but there has been zero interest from the broader forum. It is possibly so far beyond what programmers / developers / end users could envisage that I have dropped it into the 'too hard' basket. One day in the hope I do strike it 'millions' rich I will develop my own stock market platform, until that day I am using ProRealTime for custom indicator (EOD) scans, IRESS for live data, and incredible Charts for Indexes and occasional use.

(Message edited by sPdFgH on December 10, 2017)

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2187

Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 12:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi spdfgh,

Live data is the easiest for us to implement.
Comprehensive stock scans with user-selected variables would be next in line.
Fundamental data is available but expensive.

I think the key is to focus on quality rather than quantity. I have always maintained that the most valuable trading system would be one that gives you one buy/sell signal a month/year. And the least valuable would be one that gives you thousands of pages of analysis without a definite conclusion.

The same applies to scans and indicators.

spdfgh

Post Number: 218

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:05 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the key is to focus on quality rather than quantity. I have always maintained that the most valuable trading system would be one that gives you one buy/sell signal a month/year. And the least valuable would be one that gives you thousands of pages of analysis without a definite conclusion.

That's all well said, but without some form of evidence (trading blog) or portfolio measurement we can only take your word for it.

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2188

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:14 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi spdfgh,

No offence was intended and I hope none taken.

spdfgh

Post Number: 219

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 11:34 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offence taken at all, and I'm certainly not projecting any. I'm just saying there is no trading history by which we can measure your statements, unless there is a forum thread where you have listed your trades and background on your approach, that I have overlooked?
I don't mean to be overly critical, you do set the bar very high, its just I would like to see the 'at the coal face' trading evidence of you consistently jumping over it.

(Message edited by sPdFgH on December 12, 2017)

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2189

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 01:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always taken a long-term view, with varying strategies (and success) over time. My only experience with short-term strategies was during my time at Porter Capital where Bruce Vanstone (Associate Professor at Bond uni) and I spent about 3 years investigating trading systems. We failed to find a single ST system that was worth pursuing.

As for quality over quantity, I think that is self-evident.

bib
Username: bib

Post Number: 222

Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 08:39 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Colin, would it be possible to include in the MACD scans a scan for crossover 100,50,30 week and for above/below zero the 100,50,30 week as well.
The reason I ask is that it provides the very long term trend as well as momentum for that trend. The MACD trend and histogram are derived from the same basic timeframes and the calculations are related in a way. Therefore you can look at the very long term trend and the momentum changes of that trend and scan.
Because the MACD and MACDH go 'together' its much more usable than picking one long term indicator for trend and another unrelated indicator for momentum.
Its the only thing lacking with IC scans - the very long term scans are not available. Not only can you scan for individual stocks it would come in handy when analysing indexes, especially bounded indexes eg SPX500, ASX200.
Cheers, Bib

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 44

Monday, July 29, 2019 - 06:41 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With significant market capitalisations, some of the stocks have generated positive YTD and stable returns over a short-term period. Let us dig deeper into the financial performance along with the performance of some stocks to get a better overview. such as: ASX: IGO, ASX: RRL, ASX: MCR etc.

ScarlettSmith

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Culling declining stocks in screener.colin_twiggs27-Jul-20  03:41 pm
Stock Screen Filters same as Indicators Choicesvisions11 19-Oct-19  10:00 am
IC Mark Minervini Trend Templatestage2uptrend14-Mar-19  08:48 am
Screening several sectors in the one scanrockon06-Feb-19  05:38 am
Issue with Screen of 5 year new highscolin_twiggs03-Jan-19  06:10 am
Stock Screen - Real Estatevisions08-Mar-18  08:13 am