You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade the Bollonger Band Squeeze

Day Trippers ... it's time to give up

Chart Forum » Does Technical Analysis Really Work? » Day Trippers ... it's time to give up

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
hilarius
Username: hilarius

Post Number: 2221

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:00 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning

It must really tee off all the day trippers that they could have made more money buying and holding BHP RIO and WPL

With Best Wishes

Hilarius

I come in peace to share my thoughts and to shine my candle light on possible long term opportunities

ohkoolnutz
Username: ohkoolnutz

Post Number: 572

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:45 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why you keep dissing the short-term traders.

I can point out if you bought RIO at $85 in May 2006 and held until now the gain is less than 10% which is an abysmal return.

---
ohk

Lies, Damn Lies and Technical Analysis

hilarius

Post Number: 2223

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 01:59 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHK

It takes very little brains to take small profits

It takes many more brains to understand fundamentals and use them in combination with technical analysis to seek the best entries for the longer term ... usually after significant retracements

Take Care

:-)

Hilarius

I come in peace to share my thoughts and to shine my candle light on possible long term opportunities

ohkoolnutz

Post Number: 573

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pointed out that the one-year record of RIO is not that great. You ignore this now and say that no matter what the result is, a long-term trader is always more skilled, especially if he uses fundamentals.

You explain to me how the leaders in the "Beat the Street" game could rack up 5000% return in less than 2 months? They short-term traded. Do you call this small profits?

A skilled short-term trader will always outperform a skilled long-term trader.

---
ohk

hilarius

Post Number: 2228

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:06 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHK

So RIO is a bad stock to hold? I am sure the many current owners will find that an odd conclusion :-)

A few trading wizards don't prove anything

What matters is how the majority of long term holders fare against the majority of traders, in a bull market

The best results will be from those who combine intelligent long term selections with TA for best entries, and exiting to cash at or near market peaks, so as to re-enter when the day traders have pushed prices to ridiculous lows

You should look at what happened after buying RIO at its lows

By the way I wasn't actually denigrating day traders ... I was commiserating with them

I don't think that many do well

With Best Wishes

Hilarius

ohkoolnutz

Post Number: 574

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 09:52 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You said:
"It must really tee off all the day trippers that they could have made more money buying and holding BHP RIO and WPL"

I say:
"It must really tee off all the long-term traders that they could have made more money in RMS on Friday."

---
ohk

hilarius

Post Number: 2231

Friday, May 11, 2007 - 05:04 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHK

Not in the slightest

I was too busy enjoying my buy and hold surplus and having a life :-)

Hilarius

des2
Username: des2

Post Number: 130

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 02:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a no win argument. silly really.

the one HUGE difference for me (as a short term trader) is the LACK OF CAPITAL! buying and holding in a bull market is a proven strategy - it is simple, relatively stress free and almost guaranteed to succeed (with minimal skill)! everyone wins over time.

BUT it ties up capital, and the implication in the above posts is that this is OK - ie its not borrowed from someone who wants your money for the privilege, and its not needed to buy food.

this is NOT the case for everyone - short term trading can get a lot more bang for your buck. its immensely more difficult, stressful, and less likely to succeed without skill and daring. only the best will survive in the market over time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
It`s a kind of MAGIC=GAMBLING !stoian50 25-Sep-12  06:04 am
Proof that charts don`t work????2ndsniper44 19-May-11  03:00 pm
Well, does TA really work?furpo02-May-10  10:09 pm
Passive v. Active Selectionresillent117 31-Mar-10  11:11 am
Does TA really work ?dravo26 24-Aug-09  03:54 pm
Elliott waves are fake waves, Fourier waves are true waves!stoian28-Jun-09  11:06 am
The Boxcar Effectbeenjammin18-Feb-09  02:34 pm
Trading Books for Saleredrover24-Jan-09  01:55 pm
Why does Technical Analysis work?y3k32 17-Jan-08  04:32 pm
IT WORKS!maxboost25-Jun-07  12:10 am
OBV as a signal.colin_twiggs11 12-Jun-07  02:00 pm
'FA' -ve'slylo25-May-07  06:56 pm
Ae there "Market makers" and does TA show them at work ?ohkoolnutz19 13-Mar-07  10:25 pm
How to start in the stock market?sentinel04-Feb-07  07:51 am

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»