You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade Trends with Bollonger Bands and Twiggs Money Flow

Simple scripting UI....

Chart Forum » Suggestion Box » Simple scripting UI....

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
spdfgh
Username: spdfgh

Post Number: 74

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:12 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) The only thing stops me from paying $$ for the full IC is the lack of simple scripting language U.I.
For example this alerts me to a stop loss on weekly and monthly chart candles in another chart package:
if Bar Close[1]>=Bar Open[1]
And Bar Close < Bar Open
set color to Red and stop

I then select a symbol to place on the chart linked to the script; above candle or below candle or top of chart or bottom of chart or full candle background or candle colour...
This scripting language can also be used for indicators crossovers etc:
if Full Stoch.Main >= Full Stoch.Signal set color to Green and stop

Why is this so impossibly hard to implement in IC that it has not already been done?

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 1266

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been trying to buy a scripting module for some time without success. Writing a new module ourselves would be re-inventing the wheel -- why spend money building what is already available?

If we cannot source a decent module, the alternative is to allocate at least a year of programming hours to build one ourselves.

That brings me to the next question: how do we pay for it? Many subscribers have no need or inclination to do their own scripting, so we would need to recover the cost from a relatively small sub-group. It could be sold separately as an add-on module, for a one-off payment, but the price would depend on the level of interest. It could run from a few hundred dollars to more than $1000.

I will run a survey next year to gauge how many subscribers are interested.

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 1267

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:33 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... I am talking of a proper scripting module similar to those offered by Trade Station, Metastock or AmiBroker.

spdfgh

Post Number: 76

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 05:56 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Collin, best way to go; poll the masses.
I'm thinking that if you haven't used scripting chances are you don't know what you are missing. And the assumption certainly is no reason to completely dismiss it.
I use graphic symbols on weekly & monthly candles for a number of alerts and stops, of which I find it easier to visualise and then make a decision on promptly when they appear on the chart.

It doesn't need to be as complicated as Metastock language, just simple candle Bar O H L C, Bar count-back, <> + - =, and, or, with a few of the popular indicator referenced etc.

I think it would vastly increase the fully paid uptake of your "Incredible" charts package, making it "super Incredible" charts platform yes?

It's what I'm waiting for in I.C. as I already have 20 minute delay charting package now free to use.

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 1269

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Spdfgh,

We will extend our efforts to find a scripting module that is compatible with IC. I would be interested in hearing from readers as to which they find the most uncomplicated and easy to use.

Regards,
Colin

spdfgh

Post Number: 78

Monday, September 26, 2011 - 02:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if implemented, joining the dots would be to extend the scripting (saved scripts) to the IC Screening module.

spdfgh

Post Number: 81

Friday, October 28, 2011 - 11:25 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The scripting interface could have these basic signal scripts hard coded for user selection:

Descending Breakout
Ascending Breakout
Bearish Gap
Bullish Gap
Bearish Island
Bullish Island
Bearish key day Reversal
Bullish Key Day Reversal

crowboy1960
Username: crowboy1960

Post Number: 45

Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 03:50 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree it would be great to have this. Although I love the platform, sometimes there are things that I can't do that I would have been able to do in AmiBroke,r which I used to use for a number of years. For example, in AB I wrote my own Candle functions as they are fairly easy to code, at least the simple ones e.g. hammer. But with IC I don't have to worry about Database maintenance and you get forex and commodities, international data etc so now I've decided to go with IC instead of AB :-)

Having this interface might help rolling in new features as it would turn members into contributers and when they devise something that many people like it could just be rolled in easily without waiting it's turn on the wish list. Maybe this thinking is a bit simplistic, but it's my 2c worth. Seems like Metastock format is the default standard and would make sense for the script interface to use MS syntax.

But also understand that there must be a commercial case to add this functionality, so fingers crossed....

spdfgh

Post Number: 83

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 11:26 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the scripting U.I. interface could be run from the Indicator panel like an indicator, with the user input similar to the custom indicator settings as they are currently. But with the addition of a 'list box' of indicators to select from, as a lot of the triggers would be from indicator based signals e.g.
main cross signal line,
main cross (x) value,
main greater than (>), less than (<) type signals.

The list box could then be divided into top panel indicator selections, and bottom panel indicator selections.

To break the information into separate signal types would be to have another indicator panel for Candle type signals;
with relevant candle values for signals;
O,H,L,C
Vol
candle count back
day O,H,L,C
day Vol
etc. List box entries.

There is space on the chart panel at hard right under the indicator value boxes, space for a bar or bunch of boxes to represent user input values being triggered,
that is if placing graphics on Chart window; top, bottom, candle background, chart background, above candle, below candle, etc.
and additionally on Indicator window; top bottom, middle, zero line, background, is to complicated for current iteration of I.C. program to implement.

p.s. Is current Incredible Charts multi-threading implemented? I'm wondering why I.C. is stuck with one window chart approach, and not a 'tabbed' or multi-window chart U.I. when most charting packages are.

If the argument is computer system memory limitations... 4Gb is pretty much the minimum with 8 Gb upgradeable. Show me someone running less than the 4Gb memory and I will show you someone who is not trading profitably LOL, and they are the people who would really benefit from a scripting U.I. IMO.

(Message edited by sPdFgH on November 30, 2011)

spdfgh

Post Number: 84

Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:39 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The signal bars (re. above post) at right of screen could well be representative of user selected price bar conditions for Annual Quarterly, Monthly, Weekly & Daily.
This would not be too impossible to implement, and having these bars at right would allow to have all selected period data represented at a glance.
The bars could represent the candle as it is for the different periods, and the position in relation to the previous price bar for the period.

(Message edited by sPdFgH on December 01, 2011)

spdfgh

Post Number: 91

Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 11:54 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Failing the ability to have above implementation; may I suggest an excel worksheet data plug-in for the user to create their own excel scripts from chart and indicator value settings, read from IC.
It would be easier to have it all in house but if its just too hard to do....at least give the user something to work with.

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 1325

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 10:00 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have discussed writing a scripting module, where users can write their own indicators and filters, but this is a major development and we are first looking for a suitable module that we can purchase.

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 1326

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 10:03 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We plan to add candlestick filters to the stock screener this year. Hopefully that will help fill some of the gap. Regards, Colin

spdfgh

Post Number: 93

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 10:42 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news, Candle stick filters are steps in the right direction, all positive. 'If' you can get the degree of 'filter' into the stock screen equal to the degree that can be achieved from scripting signals, then it will work the same; kind of a poor man's abstracted scripting signal system.

I get from reading through the I.C. forum, from people using Incredible Charts, that have differing skill levels at reading price and indicators charts, are making calls based on visual cues (eye-balling), only to find 6-12 months later they are getting it wrong.
I don't think this is a good place to be with a charting package that is marketed to the general public, the evidence is there in the depths of the forum.

If it can be accepted by I.C. management that there are people who have different skill levels, that it be not assumed that everyone has an acute chart reading sense of awareness, then I'm sure visual signals generated from price charts and indicators can only help in identifying aspects of successful trading. It completes the user tool-set...
And the I.C. tool-set is nearly complete now.

But it does depend a lot on how that information is assimilated and represented on the charts, so the user can clearly grasp the commodities underlying merits.

I see Incredible Charts slowly filling the gap between high end and very basic charting packages. A gap that can be filled with a bit of creative programming.

spdfgh

Post Number: 103

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 11:47 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:colin_twiggs "We have discussed writing a scripting module, where users can write their own indicators and filters"

Sure I could definitely go with this idea, pity it will take the earth shifting axis to achieve, and here I was thinking software implementation (after writing my own POS database) was simply 'done'.
any chance Colin that you take a V.B. course yourself? LOL!

OK but writing my own indicators (WYOI) would make up for the rigidity of standard ones. There are 3 indicators I would like a go at; MACD and the histograms, as follows:
-there is a SMA formula for the MACD,
-I would like to attempt a stochastic of the MACD,
-The Stochastic DSS (double stochastic),
-I would also like a go at writing a histogram for the stochastic DSS.
muck around with the CCI,
-having indicator select box for various smoothing formulas like: close, open, high, low, (H+L)/2, (H+L+C)/3, (O+H+L+C)/4, (O+C)/2.
-and finally a SIROC styled indicator.

The point above^ (writing histograms for indicators) could alleviate one need for scripted graphic symbols etc. ...although, to build-in a graphics interface with the WYOI module could work very well indeed via coloured indicator lines / bars or what-ever.

I foresee the WYOI module could have multiple uses; forge ahead Colin!}

(Message edited by sPdFgH on February 29, 2012)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Charting feature suggestionszmonster20-Jan-13  07:01 am
Drag for % price differencebrad_cooper16-Nov-12  11:15 pm
Forex Charts NY Closesurferdude19-Sep-12  10:09 am
Adding Indian Stock Exchanges colin_twiggs28-Jul-12  02:19 pm
Web development charts might be the answer...spdfgh11-May-12  12:35 am
Ability to work IC in "offline" modegamefisherman28-Apr-12  08:03 pm