Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
paddy
Username: paddy

Post Number: 145

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 04:31 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dug : I'll address this matter to you for starters . It is a hypothetical scenario that involves Australia - Brazil and China .

First I have a bias - I don't trust the Chinese and believe that they truly are looking out for only themselves and that they will "screw" any company/country/state/ what have you that gets in their way of trying to gain control of certain strategic minerals . I consider Iron Ore to be one of them .

I think that their long range plan is to "screw" both BHP and RIO . It looks like the WA government is going to help them by forcing both companies to allow access to their railroads which they are upgrading as they probably reached a point where amount of tonnage required such. I am not familiar with the original agreement but I am sure that when the clause about access was included NO ONE envisioned the present and planned activity by the two companies .

If the Chinese want to support smaller iron ore companies so that there are MANY SOURCES for product then tell them to fork up the monies for infrastructure . Send back some of the iron ore as steel rails for the access to coast from the iron ore deposits. See how many of them will be economic if they have to do what Rio , BHP and FMG have had to do.

So we have a situation where perhaps many more iron ore deposits will be brought into production thus lessing the dependency on Rio and BHP for product. Taking it to the extreme one could envisage them saying one day to Rio and/or BHP "we don't need very much product from you this year - got more than enough from your competitors that are using your rail lines .

In addition, several of the big Chinese steel companies are / have set up steel plants in Brazil in joint venture with CVRD [ no matter how you cut it - controlled by Brazilian government] the major competitor to Aussie iron ore companies. Steel plants in Brazil - reduced transportation costs or CVRD increase your output so you can supply mills here and in China . The reduction in product to mills in China will go to other mills that presently use iron ore from other countries.

So I say to the West Australian government - take a careful examination of what you are considering doing .

Possible - plausible - or too much sun?

Regards,

Paddy

dug
Username: dug

Post Number: 3246

Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:22 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not up with you on this point,paddy.

I thought the BHP/RIO rail line was for use by Fortescue alone not a lot of other GunnerBees as well.I realise FMG built their own rail line but had won some concession to also jump on BHP's for more Volume delivery.

I don't think the Chinese should have to pay for Australian Infrastructure.
I think there's a lot of forgetting that the Chinese operate in Different Ways to us.
Like they're still pretty disgruntled about the Bleeding 19thCentury Western Activities in China.
Still payback,revenge eaten cold to go by their reckoning.

gotta go,
cheers.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

paddy

Post Number: 256

Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 03:21 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dug; I may not live to see it but I,m sure the day will come when China has control of enough iron / nickel ores so that they will not have to buy from competitors. That will come to pass if the Aussie regulators don't rein in China .

Murchison could be next Sinosteel target: analyst

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=3&ContentID=84298

dug

Post Number: 3304

Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 02:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if Oz "reins in " China,I think that Africa will be their "Target" for having their own Mines etc.
Of course Africa has it's own problems,unique in some ways but the Chinese are used to graft as a business method and will not be subject to Shock Horror media if they're caught like say BHP would.
but as you say paddy,this is unlikely to affect us of the here'n'now with not much longer to care about it.

I still think that China is going to be Depressed,even this year Post Olympics.Too much anticipation that the Olympics will be ShowCase on World Stage etc blah.
I reckon the Olympics is a Huge Con perpetrated by all those old men Commisioner,IOC types that use it [the Olympics] to maintain some Emperor LifeStyle;faded sportstars and administrators getting paid to bring some circus to the Armchair Never Were's.

It's got NO PLACE in World Affairs,the Olympics.That it's touted as Role Models to the Young,these days is quite pathetic.Paddy the kiddies are only fascinated in it cos it's a Way supposedly to great Riche$ and a celebrity Lifestyle.
You ever met many nearly got there sporto types,paddy?I met a bloke thru work who continually preened on about being the 22nd best cricketer in Queensland.Banged on about this to cover having a door2door company salesman's job flogging Air Fresheners.

True,paddy,this was his reasoning for not getting over being selected in the A Team of "Suburban" Cricket,the ol' CouldaBeen so he didn't move on just got the most public eye job he could-D2D salesman of some gimmick air freshener dispenser!!

ahh but one is not allowed to speak of the Tragedy that is Professional Sport,at least not in Australia.How did the Olympics go over in the long run for Mexico,paddy?
or did the Mexico Olympics occur in d'Golden Age of Sport?
cheers.

ps-POT US appears a bit chart toppy at present.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

paddy

Post Number: 262

Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 11:55 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dug : china is well on its way to gaining control of African resources . This link is to a multi-part Report that may be of interest to you or other readers.

Special Report: China In Africa (Part 1)
By: Richard Behar
With its resource-hungry push into the sub-Sahara, Beijing puts the planet to the test.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/126/special-report-china-in-africa.html

Regards,

Paddy

dug

Post Number: 3306

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 02:54 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that link,paddy.Very Interesting Articles presented.Haven't read such Contra/"Radical" stuff for decades.

Our Rupert has really done a job of dumbing down the populace.Truly a disgrace what Pulp passes for Expose/Opinion in today's media.
If Paris Hilton isn't doing Africa or China,THEY just don't wanna know!!

Such a Mess goes down these days.one can easily despair.

cheers.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

jjll29
Username: jjll29

Post Number: 135

Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:49 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a world of competition?
If you are the winner, you wanna be quiet......
The higher you jump, indicates the harder you lose.
Wake up! a brain still sleeping in 1980s?

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 37

Thursday, July 04, 2019 - 08:04 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

China is known for its strict capital controls and it limits the flexibility of moving funds in and out of the domestic system. Thus, access to the financial markets is only possible through official trade channels and investment quotas with other countries.
China has a lucrative opportunity for many firms to gain some brand marketing.

ScarlettSmith

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
New $5 noteshadetreetrader13-Apr-16  11:57 am
Song of the Dayshadetreetrader03-Oct-15  10:47 am
Joke for the dayshadetreetrader121 08-Jul-15  06:26 am
The Hot Crazy Matrixshadetreetrader06-Nov-14  01:21 pm
Not Fibonaccihershy25-Oct-13  11:40 am
Joke of the Day/Week...2013gdd310-Feb-13  11:57 am