Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
hershy
Username: hershy

Post Number: 3049

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Friday, January 29, 2010 - 08:43 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh come on Dug,
Don't get so crossed.
I like your research, I've said so before, not that you need accolades from me.
But this is an open forum and I can disagree with your opinions. Sometimes, I may not actually understand exactly what you mean so you will excuse me if I misinterpret your intentions.
I wanted to state my belief that what is happening today is more that a "sell on Friday buy on Monday" thingy, hence the request for a chart.
Sadly Charles' chart was not much use due to the abundance and thickness of indicators but the intent was good and I said thank you in appreciation in a language that was not Yiddish, by the way.
Ivor's chart was better but still not quite what I wanted.
Anyway Dug, I apologise if you feel that I have ruined your thread. That was certainly not my intention. There seems to be a "lassez faire" attitude in the forum and I most assuredly have no intention of upsetting it. Hence my response here.

I admit I do not hold TRF but I have been following your expert report with great interest. Your advice not to sell into the low but into a bounce is excellent for normal times. However I do not believe these are normal times and it may well be the wrong advice to give at this time.

Now allow me (not that you can stop me) to post my "trick" upside down chart and ask you:

Dug, would you buy this share ?

Looks good, don't it ?
Broke out of a down trend and out of a channel. Has had a fabulous day, finished on the high at an a previous high.
The width of the channel left behind gives a nice target further up the chart. You would have to like the chart !

The right way up however the chart is a dog. It is the XAO. And if it goes to target, TRF and everything else will go with it.
So maybe selling into weakness today is better than selling into weakness a few weeks later ?
And if you are not sure, do you allow a small profit to maybe turn into a loss ?
Are you arguing with the bourse ?
IT taken no prisoners !
N'est pa ?

Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.
There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~hershy/

dug
Username: dug

Post Number: 3950

Friday, January 29, 2010 - 09:27 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realise the Great Truth ,even promulgated by Colin Twiggs,hershy that it is the General Market Conditions that affect all stocks ability to rise.
Even penny stocks,not in any Index,not producing anything at all that will be subject to lessening demand because of Global Downturn,even these MAY,in the Majority,be so influenced.

Why is that,hershy?
i reckon there's several,multiple reasons why shares,insignificant shares micro cap shares [relatively] are affected by BigBoys even though these shares haven't even been thought of/held by d'main stream.

i ain't doing a thesis on it tonight but reasons range from margin loans,the cash up everything including winners and losers,automatic stop losses,the popularity of forums as an alternative source of market info,bleeding posters on these forums who think they're a wonder cos they can 'predict' 50% of the time price moves.

hershy,the last one is really a Joke.Like a share price/index can only do one of two things Go Up or Down,at least only two things significant so it don't take no genius to pick 50% right/correct.

you don't see it here,most here are too afraid to post at all but down d'barbque every thread,every day has some twit coming in with the DOW is up/down/indifferent so as d'DOW So will Minnow Incorporated DO Today.
then at 4:15pm these twits come on board to say told ya so[if they were right,that is]

hershy,it's a case of in the land of d'blind,d'one eyed one is King.

here,we got a blind fool who just proclaims he's King Cockie,makes quite shallow Pronouncements,and generally...well,it's well known and documented my thoughts and actions regarding this JOKE.

anyhow,hershy how do you think Long Term Investing in a few shares can/could be done by the hard working day jobber,say elisabeth for example?or any and all entrants to the long term comp?
is your only advice based on one of d'crew's clever plan which is to sell everything if the all ords loses 2%?

or do you really know nothing and care less about your fellow travellers 'concerns' and search?

it's late,[but not as late here on real time] but hershy,i hope this rambling has given you some inkling on how and why those posts in TRF were not so much counter productive but irrelevant.

probably not,hey?

i'll use this thread over the weekend/next week to contra opinion Chuck's out of date conceptions about FA.
maybe,then you,hershy,may see d'Light.

goog night.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

hershy

Post Number: 3050

Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:38 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Late but not too late for a reply.
Won't address all that you have raised but I try to touch a few.
Some folks get off on saying I told you so.
Some folks are happy to say they made a fortune, had one hell of a great ride, minimised losses by following the advice of some one who told them so.
Some folks win and stay silent, other lose and say nothing. And then there are those who lie. We all know some and suspect a few more.
But Dug, an index is a leader, a guide and lagging as it is, it is a road sign that warns of curves ahead and rock falls or cattle crossing. Some folks slow to the advisory speed signs, other get their jollies by thinking they are Fangio (not many in this forum will who he was) and recklessly speed and some folks slow to a crawl.
On the Great Ocean road I am Fangio. Advisory speed signs are there to be multiplied by Fibonacci numbers. I scare the shite out of my wife. But on the bourse I slow to a crawl. I didn't at the start of the GFC and it cost me dearly. I may be spending time with my new friend Al Zeimer ( I am not) but I do vividly remember how I felt when the correction turned out to me a conviction. It ain't gonna happen again.
This ride since March last year has been incredible, too good to be true. And usually if it is too good to be true - it isn't true.
How will the workers fare in their trading you ask ?
Well if they don't employ stop losses they won't stop losing. If they don't stay out of the market in face of uncertainty they won't stop losing. If the think they are right and the market is wrong they won't stop losing. If they know the value of share is $1.25 yet the share is trading at 25 cents so they keep holding, well, the result is obvious. I think Elisabeth is clever enough to know when to hold'm and when to fold'm.
I won't preach my doom and gloom, I see the markets in Europe are picking up as we speak so I may be a panic merchant for nothing.

But, and this is a huge but. China is going to slow that I think is a given. The biggest loser is Aus. We've sort of decoupled from the DOW and hitched onto the Hang Seng. If China slows, resources will get hammered, you might yet be able to buy BHP at sub $30.

Re predicting price moves. I cannot predict what I will do 10 minutes from now and have no idea what the market will do tomorrow. Yes I do, it will stay closed..But I can look at a chart I can tell you that if I see a pattern, that pattern usually does such and such so I believe it will do so again. It ain't me babe, it's the pattern that predicts.

Oh and one last thing Dug, shares not only move up and down. they have three directions, ACTUALLY 4.
They can go up, down, sideways and out.
So that $1.20 share that you bought at 25 cents and are holding at 4 cents may just go into liquidation, that's out.

Dug, I admire the research you have done on these babies of yours. In normal times I would have been along for the ride.
YOU know what you are doing. I respect that.
I think I know what you are doing. I respect that too.
I don't know what the market is doing.
I respect that more.

Oh and by the way, I know there is one other that irks you more than I do. I know you want to set things straight.
Can I ask you not to ?
In the spirit of good will and all that ?
Can you show your magnanimity 'stead of your enmity ?
I kinda like the atmosphere here at the moment.

Have a good night.

Oh, funny story to finish off with.
The wife and I are going on a cruise in April. They do not let you take alcohol on board so you buy your booze at bar prices. But we like a wee night cap just before bed, just a little nip of Jamiesons. So Rosie had this bright idea of washing out a one liter bottle of Listurine and pour some whisky in that to pack in the suitcase. The Xray sees a well recognised bottle of mouth wash - who is going to question that ?
So we wash out the empty bottle - it smells.
Put vanilla essence into the bottle for a few days - it smells.
Vinegar solution - smells.
Bicarb of soda - smells.
Let it air - hey it smells OK.
Pour in some vodka, let it sit for e few days and try it.

Bloody LISTURINE !!!!!!!

happysam
Username: happysam

Post Number: 41

Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:49 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dug wrote on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:27 pm:

who just proclaims he's King Cockie

yer but his COK is looking rather droopy
not strong enough to stand-up to the gravity of the XEJ
the chart is proof

.... running away quickly before I get into trouble ......

hershy

Post Number: 3052

Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 01:07 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me continue my ramble.
If the time to buy is not now as we don't know where the market will stop, what do we do now ? How do we chart junkies get our fix ?
We research. We seek out the shares that we want to own when the market resumes it's bullish attitude when the 5 day ema is above the 1o day ema which above the 3o day ema.

I have been received Charlie Aitken's newsletter for a free trial. In his very last free newsletter letter which was written about 10 days ago Charlie was commenting on the valuations of some of the better companies in the Aus stock market.
I repeat, what I am about to write here is straight out of an "Under the Southern Cross" newsletter.
The stocks listed below are priced at FY 2011 projections.
I say again PROJECTIONS ! Got that ? Priced 10 days ago on the basis of projected income in the financial year of 2011.
The increases required in EPS over FY 2010 are to the order of 332% for BHP, 198% for BSL, 187% for OZL, 226% for KZL to mention just a few.
So would you want to be buying into these companies ?

Or would you rather look at companies where a much lesser increase in EPS is required, companies such as:
TLS at 5%, WOW @ 10.5%, WDC already there, TOL @ 13%.

I know what I would rather have on my short list.

I cannot tell you any more, I do not want to be in trouble with Southern Cross Equities. If you want to know more. sign up for a free trial at www.underthesoutherncross.com.au
and you'll find this report in the archives.

dug

Post Number: 3952

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 02:27 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hershy wrote on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 11:38 pm:

In the spirit of good will and all that ?
Can you show your magnanimity 'stead of your enmity ?
I kinda like the atmosphere here at the moment

hershy,classic clown drags out his 'writings' on Fudamentals,probably written last century,posts them again at the top of the IC board,supposedly in answer to a 'newbie' asking for a simple system[supposedly]and you ask me to not make any rebuttal,not fine tune his prattle to show what a load of codswollop it is?

hershy,he's showing no indication whatsoever to reform,pick up his act,get over the Leader of Crew Twaddle.
you hershy,accuse him of multi nicking,making up phantom crew/supporters.he replies with crap about being a war hero and mossad agent and goes back to his 'cave' and his...

hershy,i tried to send you an email but bigpond wouldn't accept ya address.i got an email from trendy trent day/night or so before he hit the high seas thread.
you should see his email address.
baronbigdick of rocket.com.,now hershy this was exactly the same time as d'declaration of COK and the day after the Nigerian scam posts.

with your evidence of multi nicking and my suppositions of this mossad piffle,do you reckon i'm 'obligated' to turn d'other cheek and let this....
go?

hershy,you can't let bullying,small pond characters get away with constant button pushing.he's just not worth it.
at best he's third rate and certainly base grade in the character stakes.

anyhow,i got colin onto checking IP [internet providers]for similarities/prof of sus re trendy.colin probably won't spend the time so i'll just assume it's happening.

personally,i reckon the whole captain persona should be banned and let d'clown assume some/anyother one.
that's d'method they use on drunks and other substance abusers with personality disorders.
take/eliminate the personality out of their cosy enviroment.
Chop the Sentimental Favourite Fantasy.

but anyway,off for an afternoon nap.

cheers.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

dug

Post Number: 3953

Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 04:23 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh,i forgot to end my last post with a 'joke',hershy.my post did include comment about a big joke but we should stay 'conventional',right?

How do you cook a Cockatoo?

one builds a blazing fire in a bush/camp outdoor 'barbque'.
throw the cockatoo into d'flames.
keep it alight and burning bright and intense.
when the rocks have melted?
d'cockatoo is cooked.

serve with jacket potatoes or damper.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

hershy

Post Number: 3054

Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 05:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dug.
Too much time has been spend/wasted on the other fella.
Too much bandwidth that Colin is paying for has been wasted on the other fella.
I did not think you would/should waste any more of your time
on the other fella.
If you disagree, it's your call.
I just ignore him - except for being polite by saying thank you.
The only person I actually hate said to me many years ago,
"Basically, people like to do the right thing."
Dug, I like to believe this.
It is what makes my clock tick.

Sadly, in reality that translates to
"Basically people think " I am better than you ".

Stooping to their level (I have been guilty of this) does not achieve a thing.

Sermon finished.

Did your joke come before or after your sleep ?

Speaking of cooking here is my recipe for a Rumanian omelette:

First, you steal two eggs............

And before any Romanians complain, I was born in Baia Mare.

dug

Post Number: 3955

Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 05:53 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after the nap,hershy and after reading the intervening post but before checking that trendy trent has been purged.

talking to yaself is soooo sad,especially in waffle in that dictum 'style',it has going.

hershy,we're gunner get that 1000 word plus 'tale',that was put up as the opening chapter of a proposed IC book on
candlesticks.
remember that one?shoguns cornering the Rice Market,becoming fabulously wealthy,so much so that when they rode past the villagers,the peasants worshipped them as GODS.
don't remember if there were any boats and shogun sea captains in it but i did reckon i knew who would expect to play a shogun when d'movie of d'book was released.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

hershy

Post Number: 3056

Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 06:07 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure I have no idea who you might mean.

elisabeth
Username: elisabeth

Post Number: 484

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 06:05 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the compliment several posts back, Hershy. I sometimes do know when to fold'm and when to hold'm - just like most of us who have been trading a while, but the thing I still lack after many years of practicing, is the discipline to ALWAYS obey my rules, with the result that I still have a bottom drawer!

Dug, I do have investments with a bit of income from dividends - I do monitor those charts, but with a long term view. What I enjoy is short term trading (days/weeks) but my decisions have to be made and my orders placed in the early morning before I head off to the day job.

It can be very frustrating not to be able to monitor the depth, etc during the day. I see a spike (forming a shadow) in a share when I get home and have to wonder just what I would have done during the day had I been watching price fall back.

Same with buying - I see support at a certain level in the depth (still prior day's depth early in the morning), put my order in just above, and later, when the market is live, the whole depth picture changes.

Still, I'm used to all of that - one of these days I'll bite the bullet and do the retirement thingy and will be able to watch the market as I please!

Elisabeth

captain_chaza
Username: captain_chaza

Post Number: 4293

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 02:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Hershy

Dug refers to my Introduction to "Sailing The Global Exchange " and Technical Analysis
posted on IC in years 2003-2004

It describes the History of the First Technical Analyst 400 years ago in Japan and how this Man of the Sea cornered The Rice Markets thus becoming the first known " God of the Markets"/ "Guru"

Japanese Candlesticks are named in his honour

This Guru went on even further

He developed a Signalling network with men standing on the tops and Hills disclosing the intra day prices of Rice in all the Japanese markets

The Big Boys with their deep pockets did not know what was happening to them
"IT WAS IF" it was their birth-right to be in the "Know"

I learnt from this that the Fundamentalist "Knows Nothing"

In the 70's and after the Western Mining Boom of the 60's and the Poseidon boom of the 70's the Australian share markets was as divided as Japan was 400 years ago

We had the Sydney Stock Exchange and the Melbourne Stock Exchange
I gathered information from both and then traded on the Bendigo Stock Exchange

That introduction of mine to Technical Analysis and how it has become "Technical verses Technical" is well documented in the IC archives

I decided to never ever re-publish it again on this forum in fear that a WAR may break out between the Technicals and the Fundamentalists

Cheers

(Message edited by Captain_Chaza on January 31, 2010)

"While we stop and think, we often miss our opportunity." Publilius Syrus, 1st century B.C.

"I believe the future is only the past again, entered through another gate."
Sir Arthur Wing Pinero 1893

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: When he can't afford it, and when he can." Mark Twain, 1897

hershy

Post Number: 3058

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 03:18 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Charles.
I am convinced that the better, nay, the more profitable traders have a use for both fundamental and technical analysis. For technical analysts candlesticks are very informative but not everyone makes use of them, as we all know. The history of candlestick charting is very interesting, I am sure few people know it.
The best definition of the difference or use of the schools is that fundamentals have the answer to the question of why and how while the technical answer the question of the when and where. Sometimes one school may have the answer first even before the other school has been asked the question.
Dug has been very diligent in his fundamental research in his chosen threads and has turned up some extremely interesting facts very relevant to all the four questions.
I believe the information he has dug up will serve him and other who follow these threads in good stead. It is very unfortunate that this rather large correction may interfere with his conclusions. Which just goes to prove that man plans and God laughs.
It has become very obvious and pleasing, at least in the treads that I follow, and I don't follow them all that you are making a very great effort to be amenable and non disruptive in your comments. Thank you for that.
Perhaps we can convince the other fella to follow a similar path and everlasting peace may then descend onto this forum. Hehe........

dug

Post Number: 3965

Rating: 
Votes: 2

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 09:23 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 60's and 70's Brisbane had a Charlie.He was Charlie Viertels.His 'trick' was known to the Stock Exchange Fraternity to be-
Listening to the short wave Radio at night for the NY Stock Reports.He was often seen at the Open in Dressing Gown and Slippers placing his orders to a runner.

because Charlie was Qld Richest Man,he was 'eccentric' not commitable.
He was a bachelor,lived with his sister in a broken down family hut on several/maybe a hundred acres.at these times it was the outskirts but it developed into the suburb of Jindalee.Charlie also endowed,built a Top of the Line Nursing Home on his property and generally was an example to all,especially the toffs.

I was taught/given some instruction by the Catholic Group called the Knights of the Southern Cross.This is/was a Lay Persons Group that utilised it's Auditor Parishioners to 'give d'Word' to the best and brightest.I barely qualified because it was the Medical Profession that the Catholics wanted Catholic Influence in.

these were the times of Catholic vs Mason Rivalry.Charlie Viertels was not a Catholic but he was ex accountant if not Auditor.The Knights gave grudging admiration to this Charlie and used him,took you down to see him at the Exchange to 'advise' a young man of aspiration using Charlie as Inspiration.

of course,i was wild at this time and i mostly got inspired to be able to go down Brisbane's Main St and enter the Temple of Mammon at least not in a suit and tie.

anyhow,our Charles do you see how your twiddle between Melb/Sydney trade thru Ballarat is NOT UNIQUE?nothing much 'revolutionary'/innovative?
it certainly doesn't give credibility to your Assertion that your Maxim of Technical vs Technical and FA sweet FA,ignore don't bother or whatever you're being such a drama queen about
much real validity or veracity at all.

do you follow,chuck?
Your Sydney/Melbourne thru Ballarat How I win d'War was done years before you by a much better trader and all round good bloke.Brisbane's Charlie Viertels

and sorry i don't know if he was Jewish.
anyway,you fantazise all you like but chuck you're derivative if not deviated.
your 'arguments' self proclaimed "Knowledge" is very flawed,dilletante,poseur.little wonder when you have the writing skills of a....

Charles from Melbourne-You don't want to reprint the Rice Gods because it's not directly about you like all those other 2000 words drolling dross like storm at sea.

you can only do one dimensional character.
why aren't i surprised?

there's people equal and better than you,charles of melbourne.
face up to it.yer intellectual property is very so so and out of date and IMHO sub standard.

you'll regret this patronising of every one on this forum.

noticed you and all your cronies could give not a single line or even a chart on MMX[whatever]FA is not exampled by peter loh,charlie so don't think you've won any points let alone an argument/war by cowering a polite gent like him.

are you getting d'picture?Your 10,000 words from YesterYear are only "proving" what a Reactionary,old man you are.

made up with your sister,yet?

hershy-be bland.it suits your style.
but you're not very sophisticated in d'Social Action arts.

good night.at last.

Even 'til Jaded.

Dig for the sake of it.

hershy

Post Number: 3061

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 09:54 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very boring.
Yawn !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Threads by Last Post Time:

First 0 1 2 3 4 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»