You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Pranks and Pranksters - wanksters?

Chart Forum » The Back Page » Pranks and Pranksters - wanksters?

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
ingot54
Username: ingot54

Post Number: 2307

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 09:56 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the week and Australian Radio Station, (reported by the ABC to be Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) and 2Day FM) phoned the London Hospital where Prince William's wife Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, is being treated for a minor pregnancy complication, morning sickness.

Fraudulently, they pretended to be HRH Queen Elizabeth, the Queen of Australia. (It was fraud - check the definition)

Through this fraud, they obtained something that was not intended for them - private information, from which they hoped to gain status, and ratings for their programme.

The London Hospital was embarrassed, the nurse was embarrassed, and reprimanded. The nurse at the switch board was embarrassed and reprimanded. The Board of the hospital was embarrassed.

All around, people suffered loss of face, and as well, information that is a private family matter was strewn all over the world.

Childish and intellectually retarded behaviour by the Australians doing this.
Today I am ashamed to be called an Australian, and I distance myself diametrically from any such behaviour and mentality.

The Radio station apologised because of the immense public backlash yesterday, Friday 7th December 2012.

Yet on their web page, it was reported that they were still congratulating themselves with virtual back-slapping and high-fives for the "coup."

Some apology!

This morning it is with great grief and anger that I report that the unfortunate nurse, who took that call, has been found dead.

I am angry beyond words.

This person at the switchboard, took the call, and put it through to the nurse's station. The nurse took the call, believing what she was told - the Queen is inquiring about Kate.

She gave out general information, in good faith.

This is a simple case of unintended consequences.
An act of fraud has resulted in a death.
That is manslaughter, in my view.

I seriously doubt there will be justice done here.
We will see damage control measures ... but life will go on, and I expect the perpetrators will be allowed to do these stunts again.
After all we live in a society where money and status are valued above human life.

If you doubt this, then simply observe what now ensues.

We have fraud ... leading to a crime ... leading to manslaughter ... leading ... ?Justice? Charges?

And who will now support that young family?

I hope the two DJ's are very proud of their wanking work. Cheap laughs. Fun.

Tragedy.

Heartless, opportunistic parasites who sought to profit at the embarrassment of others, obtained information by fraud, leading to a death.

I can't add more - maybe you can.

(Message edited by ingot54 on December 08, 2012)

Keep Smiling - Don't look back

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

philr
Username: philr

Post Number: 523

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:20 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a tragic event.

However I am sure the people who did the prank could not foresee the outcome.

I am sure they are just as upset as anyone about the outcome.

Philip

Phil

** Let blockheads read what blockheads wrote.
Warren Buffett

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 562

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:54 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks For your article Ingot54,

In hindsight I'm not sure if the result was the intention of the radio announcers (whomever they maybe).
I recall being not far away from the incident at a football match were a spectator verbally confronted a football coach of a AFL club.
The supporter committed suicide not long after that event.

In no way am i condoning the actions of the radio announcers, there may be more to this story, what events that took place after the phone call, or the actions of the hospital and its management. we don't have all the facts.

It is pretty clear a line has been crossed but that line can be different to all of us, what I can foresee is that this incident will be a reminder for every radio announcer or prankster.
The question will need to be asked, which side of the line will they be standing at?

Thank you for hi-lighting the importance of our actions.
Espresso

Let him that would move the world, first move himself.
Socrates

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 1665

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 05:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pranksters may not have foreseen the outcome but they should have foreseen that someone may lose their job -- or at least be reprimanded for disclosing private information.

Harmless pranks can be amusing but this was not harmless.

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 563

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 06:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if anyone of us really knows what the Radio DJ's would have foreseen.
I assume If the correct security measures and protocols were in place then the call may not have gone past the switch board.

this doesn't change how I feel about the end result.
I'm saddened and sorry someone has taken there own life....RIP.

Let him that would move the world, first move himself.
Socrates

ingot54

Post Number: 2308

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 07:44 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not think this kind of prank is likely to be repeated next week ... meaning that the tragic outcome of this was not foreseeable.

However, will these nitwits now realise that this stupid form of humour only appeals to a narrow band of people. It is indicative of the mentality of radio patrons, that they would find this prank amusing in the first place.

I mean how far do they need to go to evoke humour?

What was so funny about impersonating someone, and then fooling someone who innocently attempted to provide assuring information? I still think this was a fraud perpetrated on the hospital, with the staff as the victim of the fraud.

I was perhaps too angry this morning to think as clearly about the manslaughter side of it, but certainly I think a law has been been breached here.

I think the two presenters are simply reaping the fruits of their efforts - it is not funny, is it?

Maybe someone should ring them up ...

While I wish them no harm, I certainly sympathise with the majority of the British people, who are reportedly furious with the Australians who were responsible for this prank, and vicariously need to bear some responsibility for the end result.

This was always going to happen, at some stage, though not specifically foreseeable. Embarrassing people - making them look naive and stupid in front of their managers, royalty and friends - who are just doing their jobs with commitment and purpose, is not going to be appreciated ... and in this case tragedy was the outcome.

The bottom line is: If they didn't make the call, the nurse might still be alive. That is what they have to live with.

A prank? Funny?

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

msparks
Username: msparks

Post Number: 1965

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 11:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel sorry for the family that is left behind.

some things to consider

" why would this silly prank cause someone to take their own life "

" where was the support network at home, at work "

" viral nature of social media in todays world "

" was it the prank or the victimisation after the innocent mistake was made that caused this poor woman to take her own life "

"I have my own unique system "
"I manage to lose money in bull and in bear markets "

scarrie
Username: scarrie

Post Number: 263

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 12:06 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Notwithstanding the tragedy of following events, they could have been mitigated by the following:
a.The radio announcers, once they realised that their impersonations had worked, could have stopped the whole thing prior to any information being given.
b.Even if it had been the Queen calling, she has no more right to Kate's personal info than anybody else.

ingot54

Post Number: 2309

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 12:46 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was quite foreseeable that someone could lose their job over this. And that being the case, the distress of that individual could have been expected.

Very poor judgement has been exercised by various parties over this.

We do not know the severity of the reprimand the nurse received. We do know she felt the ridicule of the Australian radio hosts, and the immense pressure in her job, as the whole world now knew she innocently breached a trust.

That is a lot of pressure for one person's shoulders.

It has been revealed that she was a person "most unlikely" to self-harm. So the stress of it could have done this ... or a lethal and unintended mixture of prescribed sedatives as she popped "an extra one" to help cope with the stress and "get some sleep."

It is conjecture until the coroner can deal with the pathology and the circumstances.

It was also revealed that she had plans to establish a nursing clinic in India, and had encouraged young people to get their medical training.

So ... "the prank the world is talking about" as the DJ's called it, even AFTER the station apologised for 'any inconvenience caused' but provoked widespread fury and disbelief by continuing to promote its hoax by playing clips of the recording, following widespread public backlash, is now the "horror the world is talking about" according to The Daily Mail.

Not too many high fives today.

philr
Username: philr

Post Number: 524

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 01:44 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that annoys me with these types of incidents is that companies like Coles take advantage of the situation by removing their advertising.

They are saying look at us we are the good guys we are now not having anything to do with this and are removing our advertising and thanks for the free advertising in doing so.

They were quite happy to be promoted by the radio station when things were travelling well they should accept some of the blame like everyone else involved. They are profiting from a tragic circumstance.

Phil

** Let blockheads read what blockheads wrote.
Warren Buffett

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1830

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 09:53 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many, like Sparksie have raised some good questions here about this tragic outcome of the "norm" RADIO Station DJ prank BUT I believe IVAN has nailed it...

"Very poor judgement has been exercised by various parties over this."

Should be the end of the story...don't give/allow the media (or forums) more armoury to use to continue the saga and suffering.

Dolphin}}}

fisminex
Username: fisminex

Post Number: 3

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 08:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an eye for an eye

a tooth for a tooth

there needs to be accountability and suitable punishment for all wrongdoers--something that seems to be lacking in todays society

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
China's Questscarlettsmith69404-Jul-19  08:04 pm
New $5 noteshadetreetrader13-Apr-16  11:57 am
Song of the Dayshadetreetrader03-Oct-15  10:47 am
Joke for the dayshadetreetrader121 08-Jul-15  06:26 am
The Hot Crazy Matrixshadetreetrader06-Nov-14  01:21 pm
Not Fibonaccihershy25-Oct-13  11:40 am