Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
msparks
Username: msparks

Post Number: 1364

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone thinks these will benefit from the new tax !

any others ?

"I have my own unique system "
"I manage to lose money in bull and in bear markets "

msparks

Post Number: 1365

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:43 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

msparks

Post Number: 1366

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:43 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

msparks

Post Number: 1367

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:44 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 478

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:12 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CO2 GROUP LIMITED [ COZ ]:coz_ax

DYESOL LIMITED [ DYE ]:dye_ax

PANAX GEOTHERMAL LTD [ PAX ]:pax_ax

PETRATHERM LTD [ PTR ]:ptr_ax

I think I've had my fingers burnt by all of them at one time or another over the last few years.

p3t3
Username: p3t3

Post Number: 668

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I just picked the wrong "clean energy" stock for the short term Comp - considering how Geodynamics has been treated:

It's not about how good you are....
it's about how bad you want it

msparks

Post Number: 1368

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:33 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some more info

data from here
http://nuclearfissionary.com/2010/04/02/comparing-energy-costs-of-nuclear-coal-gas-wind-and-solar/

If you think electricity is getting a bit rich, think again, probably will rise another 100% to make anything else a viable proposition.

But hey, if we reduce our emissions by half in Australia , it won't make any difference to the world anyway ....lol.

How can they allow coal exports if they want to be green ???

BAN ALL "LIVE" COAL EXPORTS I SAY !!!

rockon

Post Number: 479

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 07:58 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

msparks wrote on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:33 pm:

BAN ALL "LIVE" COAL EXPORTS I SAY !!!

Maybe not in our lifetime, msparks. Too many people who make the rules are making too much money out of oil and coal.

Once upon a time,one of the companies whose chart appears above was in line for a Gov. grant of aprox $6 mill. They were almost desperate for cash to finish their small WORKING model of their product.It was all but reported in the papers that they would get this grant, but when the time came, a foreign company got the grant.This foreign company also had a reputation for not delivering on their projects but was involved with a large Aust. company who must have had some pull in the lobbying industry.

This small company who missed out on the grant finally found some support overseas but it showed me then that the Aust. Gov. weren't all that fussed about Aussie companies being innovative and almost successful.

Give renewables the support they need and maybe coal will die a natural death, IMO.

msparks

Post Number: 1370

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 10:04 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rockon
I like cwe with the wave technology but i cannot understand why it has taken them so long to get something up and running.

I like cfu , gas to power and hot water in a unit the size of a washing machine, ideal for houses with natural gas connected, but the govt is not promoting them much.

Dyesol sounds good, makes sense and a big US company was involved but there has been no price appreciation.

Blueglass was supposed to be a big break through in led's for phones etc but not much has happened with that one either.

Infogen is the old babcock and brown failure with a chart heading south too.

Geodynamics has been drilling a hole for years and done nothing very interesting yet.

So i don't think any of these will replace coal power any time soon.

If they start using gas to generate base load the gas price will go through the roof and we will back on coal again in no time.

It is a stupid tax from a stupid govt and it will not reduce the carbon emissions and the sooner they have an election the better.

If they were serious they would replace all lighting with LED lighting and that would reduce emissions and easily meet the targets.

I just don't get how they can want to close down a few coal power stations here and yet allow coal exports to China who build a new coal fired power station every week.....

This has nothing to do with climate change it is all about tax revenue.

p3t3

Post Number: 672

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 10:55 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

....i don't think any of these will replace coal power any time soon.

True, but for those of us who believe what the Climate Scientists have been telling us for decades about the consequences of increased atmospheric CO2 then some global leadership is required.

This country is the largest per capita CO2 emitter on the planet. If this rich country won't do anything to control emissions what incentive is there for much less-rich emerging economies? Our total emissions are small, but to say our behaviour is globally insignificant is a political cop out.

Changing lighting, by itself, won't help. LED lighting is still fiercely expensive. Getting rid of the hugely inefficient multiple-downlights fashion might do more good.

Much of the required CO2 reduction could be accomplished by replacing Victoria's brown coal generation - particularly the Hazelwood generator - with something much more carbon-efficient. The package announced, which is much more than just a price on carbon, is designed to facilitate just such a change.

That's way too much politics from me.

But I do hope that posters to these threads - who are quite capable of doing their own research - will look more deeply into the issues being addressed, and the complexity of the package on offer. From my perspective the opposition is trying to peddle an utterly simplistic line in an effort to appeal the the intellectual laziness of the bulk of the population. The sole purpose being to seize control ahead of the next scheduled election. The Public Interest be damned.

just my view
p3t3

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for -
in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car,
and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it. [Ellen Goodman - American journalist]

whiteowl
Username: whiteowl

Post Number: 154

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 12:25 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mark / msparks
Thanks for the Total Cost of Elec Chart and it looks like overall the cheapest is Hydro ?
So how come in Victoria our last dam (Thompson) was built in 1956.
And due to the 'drought' we are now building Desal to turn electricity into water.
And due to the recent floods our Desal hole at Wonthaggie is now full of water and cant be finished, and it seems not even needed.
And we now have a flood levy tax to address the 'too much water' problem.
GodDAMit just DAM it, save the water and use it
I believe a hydro plant can work on a 53m head of water.
Is Australia that flat or are we just being governed by people with flat heads ?
Owl

p3t3

Post Number: 673

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 02:24 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Current best estimate from the Financial Review's Laura Tingle on the additional cost per person of the Carbon Tax Package :

a "couple of dollars a week" or, for some people
up to around $7 a week.

Doesn't look like much of a change - hardly enough to change the behaviour of much of the country's population.

Yet the coal miners are crying "foul", while they find themselves profitable enough to run a hugely expensive advertising campaign in opposition to the Tax. Hhmmm. And it doesn't look like bringing about the closure of very many mines - while those at risk are surely at the dirtiest end of the production spectrum - including the brown coal producers.

Doesn't look like much of a reduction in coal fired generation is likely to happen in any sort of a hurry. Some of the more marginal new developments might not get off the ground though. Caution warranted on the smaller energy explorers, perhaps.

just my view
p3t3

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for -
and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it. [Ellen Goodman - American journalist]

rockon

Post Number: 480

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 07:46 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too think the use of water to generate power is a smart way to go. If I ever invest in a renewables company again, I think it would be CWE.The last diagram I saw ages ago used the spent water from the power station to produce desalinated water.

Glad I won't be around in 50 years time to see all the environmentalists jumping up and down over the acres & acres & acres of solar panels and wind turbines dotting the countryside, but like I said earlier, I think there are too many people around who for their own gain, will screw the life out of fossil fuels before replacing them.IMO.

I don't hold a position in any renewable company.

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 259

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 08:17 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/climate-change/key-figures.htm

Interesting debate, Looking forward to the outcome once the dust settles.

http://www.australiancattledogrescue.com/helpus.htm
Australian Cattle Dog Rescue are always looking for caring people to look after rescued dogs in the short term.
Pounds and shelters can only hold them for a very short period before they must be put down if no home is found.
Do you have room to look after a rescued dog until a permanent home can be found for him or her?
Australian Cattle Dogs - Loyal-Fun-Loving & Best Friend

msparks

Post Number: 1371

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 11:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep

15 billion in compensation from the money tree

and

only 500 companies to pay the tax

well that's only 30 million from each company

that has to be a bargain

p3t3

Post Number: 683

Monday, July 18, 2011 - 02:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little perspective on the issue, from The Economist

msparks

Post Number: 1392

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 07:53 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some positive announcements and has pulled back again

msparks

Post Number: 1393

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 08:00 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CWE just cannot seem to get going

Must need a big cash injection , typical start up, good idea but without the funding or cashflow flow from income they cannot get going

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Is there anything in this? ALSdennis_menace19 27-Aug-11  03:27 pm
TELdennis_menace27-Aug-11  02:45 pm
IC Annual stockpicker's competition 2010peter1125 25-Aug-11  11:21 pm
50% Fibonaccidennis_menace25-Aug-11  01:55 pm
TRY - Troy Resourcesdennis_menace24-Aug-11  01:53 pm
Annual IC Stockpickers' Challenge 2009 ... :-)ohkoolnutz77 05-Aug-11  06:03 pm