You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade Trends with Bollonger Bands and Twiggs Money Flow

What is Sarcasm?

Chart Forum » General » What is Sarcasm?

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
kesil
Username: kesil

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 09:08 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarcasm-----is it wit, is it an insult, is it comedy or is it an art form?

Personally, I have found when I have used/misused it, it is mostly misunderstood and eventually needs to be explained, making a prat of myself in the meantime.

Would You Even Recognize Sarcasm?

Article:-

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/08/18/would-you-even-recognize-sarcas m/

and just for fun, some videos...

Sheldon getting good at sarcasm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJp2XAWma_I&feature=related

and not only but also a bit of Monty Python..

Monty Python on sarcasm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fNvi6xG-5Y

...and now comes the irresistable urge to close with...

"nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean?"

"say no more!"

“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 29

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 09:50 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and a few quotes

“Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence.”Ashleigh Brilliant

“It's always darkest before it turns absolutely pitch black.”Paul Newman

“It's a catastrophic success.”Stephen Bishop

“I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here.”Stephen Bishop

“History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.”Abba Eban

“No, Groucho is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend.”Groucho Marx

“How do you feel about women's rights? I like either side of them.”Groucho Marx

“A man is as young as the woman he feels.”Groucho Marx

“A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.”Groucho Marx

“Marry me and I'll never look at another horse!”Groucho Marx

“If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”Groucho Marx

“Marriage is the chief cause of divorce.”Groucho Marx

“I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.”Groucho Marx

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”Groucho Marx

“I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.”Groucho Marx

“I didn't like the play, but then I saw it under adverse conditions - the curtain was up.”Groucho Marx

“The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.”Frank Zappa

“The 100% American is 99% idiot.”George Bernard Shaw

“The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech.”George Bernard Shaw

“He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.”Oscar Wilde

“Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.”Oscar Wilde

“I am not young enough to know everything.”Oscar Wilde

“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.”Oscar Wilde

“He was happily married - but his wife wasn't.”Victor Borge

“I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.”Mark Twain

“Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat.”Mark Twain

“Honesty is the best policy -- when there is money in it.”Mark Twain

“Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children.”Mark Twain

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”Mark Twain

“I would like to live in Manchester, England. The transition between Manchester and death would be unnoticeable.”

“I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.”Clarence Darrow

“If you ever become a mother, can I have one of the puppies?”Charles Pierce

“You have delighted us long enough.”Jane Austen

“A modest little person, with much to be modest about.”Winston Churchill

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”William Faulkner

“Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?”Ernest Hemingway

“He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know.”Abraham Lincoln

“He is a self-made man and worships his creator.”Irvin S Cobb

“He loves nature in spite of what it did to him.”Forrest Tucker

“He has Van Gogh's ear for music.”Billy Wilder

“The old system of having a baby was much better than the new system, the old system being characterized by the fact that the man didn't have to watch.”Dave Barry

“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”Caron de Beaumarchais

“Calamities are of two kinds: misfortunes to ourselves, and good fortune to others.”Ambrose Bierce

“Love: a temporary insanity, curable by marriage.”Ambrose Bierce

“Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them.”Samuel Butler

“I believe in luck: how else can you explain the success of those you don't like?”Jean Cocteau

“The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights.”J Paul Getty

“When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.”Eric Hoffer

“A good listener is usually thinking about something else.”Kin Hubbard

“Every time I look at you I get a fierce desire to be lonesome.”Oscar Levant

“Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in memory as the wish to forget it.”Montaigne

“The trouble with a kitten is that it eventually beomes a cat.”Ogden Nash

“I wish we were better strangers.”Unknown

“I'll always cherish the original misconception I had of you.”Unknown

“I tended to place my wife under a pedestal.”Woody Allen

“As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' -- probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.”Woody Allen

“I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.”Ludwig Wittgenstein

“Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions.”Frank Lloyd Wright

“We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time.”Vince Lombardi

“A narcissist is someone better looking than you are.”Gore Vida

Winston S. Churchill

ingot54
Username: ingot54

Post Number: 2282

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 10:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great list, Kesil

Still working through them.

Occasionally I get involved in a bit of tit-for-tat on forums, and here is one I was forced to use tonight, after an administrator objected to my telling another member to "keep your collar pulled up... your circumcision scars are showing":

"I take back my derogatory comments - and apologise for doing so"

Keep Smiling - Don't look back

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

ehmu
Username: ehmu

Post Number: 816

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 02:57 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kesil wrote on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 09:50 pm:

“Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence.”Ashleigh Brilliant

“I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here.”Stephen Bishop

“Marry me and I'll never look at another horse!”Groucho Marx

“I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.”Groucho Marx

“I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.”Groucho Marx

“If you ever become a mother, can I have one of the puppies?”Charles Pierce

Hi Kesil:

I've extracted some of your examples that I consider sarcasm. My sense is that sarcasm always takes on a personal insulting or ridiculing putting down of an individual or group. Probably for the purpose of elevating the speaker that is coincidentally indifferent to the pain or damage that it may cause the receiver of the message. The issuance of cruel remarks usually can neither be mistaken nor misunderstood.

Many of your other examples, I see just as plays on words. I enjoy plays on words, but have modified my free expression in consideration of others, because on occasion I have thoughtlessly or recklessly used inappropriate plays on words resulting in harm to others.

Also, in my younger days, I got some gratification thinking that I was clever enough to devise contradictions or dual meanings to a language that prides itself on being unclear.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

namaste

_____ Hal

.......Not a recommendation to buy or sell equities

kesil

Post Number: 30

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 09:39 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ingot54

...an interesting and rather overt way to call a bloke a Richard Cranium, with an equally interesting apparent appology...amazed you got away with it! :D

emhu

Alas this list is not of my invention, the opinion that the quotes are all examples of sarcasm is merely a product of cut and paste. However I think a clever wit is capable of turning an insult into a witticism and it is interesting to ponder as to what exactly may be defined as sarcasm, or simply a witty comment. I don't really accept sarcasm needs to have a victim. I prefer it as meaning the "bastard son of irony" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sarcasm

However I see double entendre as an entirely different style of wit...one which I find very appealing and still enjoy playing with on the odd occasion.

(Message edited by Kesil on May 30, 2012) Edits are fixing crook spelling.

(Message edited by Kesil on May 30, 2012)

Winston S. Churchill

ehmu

Post Number: 820

Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 12:17 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kesil wrote on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 09:39 pm:

overt way to call a bloke a Richard Cranium

Kesil,

Like you, I don't ascribe to the VERB cycle of living; Victim-Entitlement-Rescue-Blame--over and over--Victim-Entitlement-Rescue-Blame.

I was speaking for myself, not others; so it is a surprise that you would have taken my comments personally.

To explain further my thinking; I consider my wife a master teacher. She has been extremely successful reaching people that would have otherwise fostered a negative self concept.

The mind set that probably contributes the most to her success is: she believes that perception is reality, and that the perception of the person receiving a communication defers to a large degree to the person delivering the message.

To say in an alternate way: one of the main distinctions of sarcasm is that "if" the story teller is "indifferent" to the feelings of others, then the real message of friendly humor is often lost.

In the extreme then, I argue that if the teller is indifferent, that the intent of any double entendre is vulnerable to not being understood by others for what it is. And that there is a good chance that the message will be perceived as a threat by the listener.

The telling of a joke is for me is to share humor with someone else. If it is simply for my amusement, then it is likely something else.

This is my perception on the subject of "what is sarcasm"; and how to improve my sharing of humor with others.

There is no right way to be funny, so scholarly comedians should look for their lesson plans else where.

_____ Hal

kesil

Post Number: 33

Friday, June 01, 2012 - 10:38 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Ehmu

I think we are at crossed purposes here. In his post, Ingot54 called a bloke a Richard Cranium on another forum by suggesting (quote Ingot54)...."keep your collar pulled up... your circumcision scars are showing" Then he wanted to illustrate how he was forced to make an apology with a double entendre/sarcasm by saying "I take back my derogatory comments - and apologise for doing so"

When in fact he was actually saying..." I am apologising for taking back my derogatory comments"

Whilst the wording of this apparent apology is neither new nor unique it is a way to appear to be apologizing to someone whom you believe to be undeserving of an apology.

I was replying to his post and then I addressed your comments afterward. I took nothing you said personally, your posts are interesting and invigorating. Hope that sorts out the confusion, although I think it may be making it all the more confusing!

Ahh the joy of the internet! (Was that sarcasm?!)

Winston S. Churchill

ehmu

Post Number: 822

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 12:05 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kesil wrote on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 10:38 pm:

When in fact he was actually saying..." I am apologising for taking back my derogatory comments"

There you go, I would have given them (gender unknown)the benefit of the doubt and concluded that it was just bad grammar.

Good grammar teached here.

OK kesil, carry on; sorry for interrupting your conversation with the "In Got". Had I been a little sharper, I would have realized that the object wasn't to discuss sacrasm.

ps
Is there a chance that you are kesil on one computer, and ingot on another computer ? Oh, never mind, you don't have to answer that question, or ask it.

_____ Hal

ingot54
Username: ingot54

Post Number: 2283

Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 05:22 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ehmu wrote 2nd June 2012:

ps
Is there a chance that
you are kesil on one
computer, and ingot on
another computer?

Ehmu:

1. No one would ever make a decision to look like me.
2. I have never been able to locate the wavelength part of a person to be able to get onto it.
3. While I don't mind being elevated to the status of Kesil, I am unsure if he/she would enjoy the demotion to my level.
4. I am sure I was not separated-at-birth from anyone - my wife thinks I still have not cut the umbilicus!
5. Every time I deviate from discussing trading, and get on to other topics ... I notice I end up in trouble.

Keeping the above in mind, it's just your way of flattering me, I am sure, but will Kesil appreciate the comparison?

Keep Smiling - Don't look back

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
2016/05/11 - Wacky Wednesdaybenson11-May-16  10:39 am
Set up for Doji (or Spinning top) gap downfatcharlie04-Jan-16  11:57 am
Hi everyone, I am happy to join here.fighterbd7119-Aug-15  09:28 am
Need Help with The Incrediblechartsqed04-Jun-15  07:41 pm
HO HO HOcolin_twiggs21-Dec-12  06:33 pm
Solving The Health Care Conundrumironic19-Dec-12  09:53 pm