Archive through October 17, 2006qed25 17-Oct-06  06:30 pm
Archive through June 22, 2006spider25 22-Jun-06  05:35 pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
starboard_tack
Username: starboard_tack

Post Number: 332

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:30 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rederob,

Thank you for your response.

Let me say that you are also one of the posters that I owe a thank you to. Your contributions add a lot to this forum.

I agree with most of what you just said. None of us should have to tolerate the sort of remarks that we have seen. However, I believe that we should resist taking sides. Maybe I have missed some things when catching up on the forum after an absence, but I haven't read into Spider's posts a siding with a friend. In fact I read him as trying to keep a balanced view. We can all be friendly with people, join a voyage, or contribute to various threads. But that doesn't mean that we are responsible for what others might say, or how they say it.

The constant attacks from both sides are detracting from this great forum. But more importantly, they are detracting from the lessons that both are capable of giving us. Dug has the ability to write in plain english, and add to the forum. An example is his follow-up and explanation of algorithmic trading. Charles contributes more by openly showing what he is doing. He doesn't explain how he is doing it, but leaves it up to the reader to put the effort into trying to figure out how. Two totally different teaching styles, but effective if the student is open. Not effective, however, while these constant attacks are being sent back and forth.

This thread is an example of how attacks can take us off the point. Spider, I am sorry for adding to the sidetracking of your thread, and so my last comment on this topic here is:

Please everyone, debate and argue differing views, but adhere to the forum rules.

Regards,
Starb'd

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Water Rat to the Mole in "The Wind In The Willows"

spider
Username: spider

Post Number: 2530

Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 04:06 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those posters who have contributed constructive comments on the dug CC thing, i say thank you, and no I most definitely don't mind you 'taking up space', I welcome your well considered words.

To those that have contributed comments and reflections on the original topic (PRAISE), I thank you for your insights.

It seems that some cannot live without a little drama in their lives, I guess that it why people watch cheap 'soap operas' when they could be doing something constructive.

To these people I say "PUSH THE ABUSE BUTTON! THEN GET OVER IT!"

Don't bother bringing your petty little squabbles here, I'm simply not interested.
Actually, it's not that I'm not interested in your 'goings on', it is simply that I just don't think about you at all.

Long live positive debate.

spider.

Nice to see that someone is going back and reading my old stuff, and quoting it. It's cool to be quoted.

rederob
Username: rederob

Post Number: 2116

Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:13 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at the purpose of this thread, given the inconsistencies of the proponent:
TEACHERS IN THE TRADING ARENA

Why do some people have such an intense dislike for those that offer trading courses?

This is a commercial venture, and if they don't deliver then they don't survive, so why the animosity?

Does this negative vibe date back to people's school days?

It has been said that these courses only rehash the information that can be found in books.
I don't see the problem.
Many people need a personal, face to face, environment in which to learn, and these courses offer that environment.

Now, we here at IC know that this is the best place to get that info, but not everyone knows about IC.

All intelligent opinions are welcome.

spider.

Some interesting assertions:
Who dislikes trading courses?
"Some people".
Some people are crazy, too.
"Why the animosity"?
Left fielder that one.
Do we carry a lot of baggage from schooldays?
Maybe some people do.
Courses might re-hash what's in books - not a concern.
Agreed.
But people need a face to face environment in order to learn.
That's a new one.
Learning has many aspects and face to face learning accounts for a small portion of what a person learns in a lifetime. Actual experience remains the best teacher.
Cutting to the chase.
"All intelligent opinions are welcome."

qed

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2697

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:46 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rederob,
And your point is?...........

spider

Post Number: 2533

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:27 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am interested in your point 'red'.

But before we deal with my confusion, let us take a moment to PRAISE you for attempting to discuss an idea.

It's a small step, but we do have to crawl before we can walk, so well done.
I'm not sure why you picked one of the early IDEAS from this thread, but better an early one than not at all.

I would also like to thank you for disagreeing with my IDEAS (that was what you were doing, wasn't it?), and not attacking me personally. I find that that promotes a better quality debate. Well done.

Now, assuming you want to take the next step on this journey, you may want to (you don't have to, of course) address in writing, the reasons why you disagree with each of the points you brought up.

That way we can address your REASONING, and thereby the merits of your argument.

Just to help you along a little bit, I'll give you an example.

"Who dislikes trading courses? "
At the time that I wrote that article, there was a long thread running which was discussing this point, and most of the posters were expressing sceptical views as to the merits of such courses (I seem to remember that you contributed to that thread). What is the word I am searching for, oh yes, I think it's "disingenuous".

""Some people".
The 'some people' I was referring to were the people on that thread.
I did not name them as that would have been rude, and counterproductive to debate, as people get defensive and focus on personalities instead of IDEAS.

Now, I could go down the list in you post and cover each point, but I'm sure that you get the idea by now.

You might want to practice on some scrap sheets of paper first before you try posting, but I am sure you will get the hang of it with time.

Just remember, IDEAS, not personalities, and you will be fine.

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2534

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:44 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a small PS 'red'.

Why did you sign the post using someone else's handle (qed)?

Possibly you meant "Quad Erat Demonstrandum", or Q.E.D. for short.
This is more applicable to math solutions than logical arguments, but we must allow a little licence, mustn't we?, Maybe putting in the dots and keeping it in upper case would make it look less like the handle of a regular IC contributor.

rederob

Post Number: 2119

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 02:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin
The thread provides the answer.

But briefly.
Your forum thrives on diversity, not adversity.
And it should welcome opinions from all, not always those who set themselves apart for whatever reason.

spider
Your reference to the "emotionally challenged" deserved to be withdrawn.
If one offends another, and that offence is drawn to attention, social mores dictate a response: Somewhat akin to this thread's treatment on "praise".

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2698

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 03:31 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If one offends another, forum rules dictate that you hit the "Report Abuse" button (rather than respond).

rederob

Post Number: 2120

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 04:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin
My request to spider was timely and reasonably polite, and should have allowed you focus on other matters had the remark been withdrawn.
I repeated the request, but again to no avail.

If a poster advocates a code of behaviour, and acts differently, I shall draw my own conclusions: But in this case have taken no particular offence. It would need to be an exceptionally serious matter for me to deliberately press the "abuse" button.

Thank you for the reminder.

zorba
Username: zorba

Post Number: 138

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 04:57 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could possibly be a 'dumb' question but - where is this 'abuse button' that everyone seems to be talking about?
TIA

As the Irishman said, 'Anyone who's not confused here doesn't really understand what's going on'.

zorba
Username: zorba

Post Number: 139

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 05:01 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello hello - I see it now. I swear it wasn't there a minute ago. As a matter of fact, neither was the '(vote!)' button. What's going on?

As the Irishman said, 'Anyone who's not confused here doesn't really understand what's going on'.

wanabe1
Username: wanabe1

Post Number: 500

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 05:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's gotta be you, zorbs- getting emotional....

regards,

And oh- it's my 500th post!
Congratulations w1!!!

(Message edited by wanabe1 on December 12, 2006)

rederob

Post Number: 2121

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

500 posts!
All praise to thee
http://www.tributek.com/praistothean.html

wanabe1

Post Number: 501

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:30 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why..Thank You!!!

sincerely
w1

qed
Username: qed

Post Number: 37

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 06:37 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa...... I would like to kmow why redorob signs off QED??????

qed

Post Number: 38

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 07:04 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must prees abuse button ... misuse of my poster id

qed

Post Number: 39

Rating: 
Votes: 2

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 07:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my posts of the other night have obviuosly gone astray,, put ur egos in some other forum... just try to help each other ,,, who is the biggest foe???? the markets first then ur selves,... I dont come here to read petty ego arguments ... .... QED

qed

Post Number: 40

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 07:21 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah I have read back and it seems that u are crediting me with some highly intelligent assumptions thank u

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2700

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 08:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

put ur egos in some other forum... just try to help each other ,,, who is the biggest foe???? the markets first then ur selves,... I dont come here to read petty ego arguments ... .... QED

QED,
I believe that you speak for many readers who are tired of the constant bickering.

Regards,
Colin

qed

Post Number: 41

Rating: 

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 09:01 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 votes WOW im blown away thank u all I cant believe any 1 thinks as much of me as I do thank u again

dug
Username: dug

Post Number: 1886

Rating: 

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:34 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ain't dat Lovely,d'Stars are out.
I'd love to be able to talk only in Ideas but,I's only got what and who to talk to.

Personality.You of all people want to keep the "You" out or what'll happen Spider?You'll rove back to d'Dark Islands?

Listen I see you spider as the Throat of this Forum.
You are the Foundation Member around here and well,to a certain extent,what you say Goes!!

but spuds,or Mr Potato Head as I perfer,I think you've had it YOUR way a bit too long,Jaded,Hubris,basically familiarity is Caught Up with you.Truly everything you write these days is banal,predictable,just shadow,chum.

Now I can talk to you about this,I KNOW that Stage.
but instead of cutting'n'doing d'paste on this post,how about ya give me those reasons why d'TV dill prat House is shoved in here?
Garn kiddo,don't be a Lazy Bones.

Happy Trading.
you can call me jr.

Dig for the sake of it.

spider

Post Number: 2535

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:57 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of all the questions, of all the IDEAS, of all the statements, of all the BS flying around in this thread, you want to know why I put up the "House" photo?

What would we do without you dug?

I'm a photographer (In a past life I taught photography, the old school type), so I just thought that was a great shot (I didn't take it btw, but you knew that didn't you?).

It's from a TV show called 'House', about a brilliant but 'difficult' doctor.
Doctors spend close to 10 years completing their training.
The article was about the IDEA of the 'decade of dedication'.

I know it was subtle dug, but you are expected to do some work.

spider.

dug

Post Number: 1888

Rating: 

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:19 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

subtle? derives into sub-title.You really think that is achieved by comparing 10 years to be a Doctor with diddlying around to become a Share Trader?make a few bucks on d'Market is comparable with being a Doctor?

chum,that ain't subtle that's Advertising.Make the Pilgrim Identify with your Aims and Ploy.
Chum is used with Sharks,Spider and I ain't being subtle!!

Get d'Picture?
lol.

Dig for the sake of it.

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2701

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:40 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dug,

QED has voiced what a number of other readers also feel, judging from past complaints: I dont come here to read petty ego arguments

This constant niggling of other forum members must stop.

dug

Post Number: 1889

Rating: 

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Colin I read qed's post.but is this really "niggling"?
You're not calling me and my posts above Girlish,are you Colin?
Don't you see what's called in d'Valley d'Cheap Trick?

Go up to the 23/2/06 in this thread;see pwnitatOr's one and only post [that was UnAnswered,I might add and No tweren't me in some disguise!]
so I'll give this d'Miss,Colin but what I'm trying to get across to spuds is exactly what you've chipped me about up in indicators.
Patronising,and on the hunt for Glory Boy.
off for my nap,
Happy Trading,
JohnR.

Dig for the sake of it.

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2702

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:50 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dug,

Let's call it "badgering" then, if you find "niggling" too girlish. But the message is the same: it has to stop.

Regards,
Colin

macca888
Username: macca888

Post Number: 96

Rating: 
Votes: 3

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 03:36 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Colin and Spider

Thank you, Colin.

We all enjoy a joke, a poke or a prod every now and then.
I have been a happy giver and receiver of that on this forum (which is the only one I currently visit for the stock market).

No sooner had I begun recently to post on this forum on a more regular basis than dug's paranoia led him to believe that he had "issues" with me. There followed a great waste of my and the forum's time and energy. I wonder if dug learnt anything from our exchange? I certainly did.

I believe in inclusiveness but I am prepared to draw the line in the sand once goaded to that position. I don't rely on you to do that but I now hope that you have.

The pity of the matter is that I believe dug has something to offer our community. I hope he continues to post in what I and others consider a more appropriate form.

I am also tired of the badgering, conflict and confrontation. I have known people who need all of these as a part of their lives. I'm left wondering if this is the "character of this beast"

Perhaps dug needs other avenues to express himself.
I am wondering the same for myself. I don't want to pack up my bat and ball and play elsewhere and this is not intended as a threat to sway anyone to my point of view.

regards

"Buy low, sell high is a cliche, not a blueprint for action. It blinds investors to the professionals' approach of buying high and selling higher." Stan Weinstein

"A prudent speculator never argues with the tape. Markets are never wrong - opinions often are". Jesse Livermore

"The only sound reason for buying a stock is that it is rising in price.
If that is happening, no other reason is required.
If that is not happening, no other reason is worth considering".Nicolas Darvas

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2703

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 04:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macca,

I agree that Dug has something to offer the forum. He just has to drop the "aggro".

Regards,
Colin

captain_chaza
Username: captain_chaza

Post Number: 2308

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 05:50 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry! Maybe I have missed a thread somewhere?

Could someone please point me in the right direction to find any thread/s to substantiate Jr has "Something to Offer"
Salute and Bon Voyage
Capn

"While we stop and think, we often miss our opportunity." Publilius Syrus, 1st century B.C.

"I believe the future is only the past again, entered through another gate."
Sir Arthur Wing Pinero 1893

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: When he can't afford it, and when he can." Mark Twain, 1897

hilarius
Username: hilarius

Post Number: 1977

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 07:28 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain

You have missed many clear and helpful charts and comments by Dug (amidst a lot of confusing lingo, a fault with which you will readily sympathise)

May I suggest YOU look for Dug's clear charts of which there are many

We are not here to find them for you

Our job is to watch out for more constructive charts and comments from your good self

With Best Wishes

Hilarius

I come in peace to share my thoughts and to shine my candle light on possible long term opportunities

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2312

Rating: 

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 08:20 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May I say to you Dear Friar

You summed it up well Fr!
You can't find them or it either!

To a Sweet FA'er like you Jr may seem to be a TA'er
To most us TA'ers on this site he is not even a quarter smart FA'er with even less ability in TA

I repeat
Please Show me the "Something to Offer" post/s
Anybody?
Capn

"While we stop and think, we often miss our opportunity." Publilius Syrus, 1st century B.C.

"There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: When he can't afford it, and when he can." Mark Twain, 1897

hilarius

Post Number: 1978

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 09:30 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain

To the contrary ... they are there to be found ... but as always do your own searching and due diligence

You have only to look

Better still why not lead by example?

Isn't that what a good Captain does?

Clear charts, clear directions

No more mumbo jumbo from any source

Take the pledge, Captain

:-)

Hilarius

I come in peace to share my thoughts and to shine my candle light on possible long term opportunities

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2704

Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 08:12 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles,

The same applies to you. This behavior must stop.

Regards, Colin

spider

Post Number: 2540

Friday, December 22, 2006 - 05:01 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A distant, but famous, ancestor........................

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6632509

spider

Post Number: 2542

Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 09:35 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spider took the family to the Windsor Hotel for high tea, this afternoon, and what should be parked out the front.................

Then, after tea we went for a walk around the city................................

Quite a day!

High tea at the Windsor is a tradition in Melbourne, if you are ever in Melbourne, take out a second mortgage, and take the family.

spider.

wanabe1

Post Number: 504

Monday, January 01, 2007 - 10:22 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps not as dandy but just as impressive...

My daughter just passed her final CPA module (and with distinction too- modesty aside).
After all the 'Congratulations!' the 'Well dones!' from relatives and close friends, the sweetest thing from her -'Thanks Dad!'

Has to be w1's story of 2006.

To my family in this forum, here's to a profitable 2007!

regards
wanabe1

spider

Post Number: 2548

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 05:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something very special happened over the weekend.

Hilarius came to town!

spider missed the morning tea with vermante and friends (too early in the morning!) and arrived obscenely late for lunch at the captain's sister's cafe, but hilarius, lafee, and the captain were still there.
We talked for a long time, so long in fact that the captain's sister threatened to charge us rent if we did not go home! (not true).

Everyone was very impressed with our 'visitor from the north', and to mark the occasion we decided to do something that has never been done before.

It has long been rumoured that the Melbourne traders held the 'missing piece of the puzzle', the holy grail , if you will, of trading.

Now, for the first time, someone from outside the great southern state, carries the secret.

Hilarius has promised never to reveal this secret, especially not to dug.

But seriously, we all had an excellent time and it was an honour to spend time with such a gentleman.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of his company again.

spider.

P.S. If you are lucky enough to run into hilarius, ask him to tell you the story about his little sister and the London blitz

A visit from hilarius certainly draws a crowd.

hilarius

Post Number: 2082

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 06:49 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Spider

I did indeed have a wonderful time with the Melbourne Traders

Rumour has it that those who perceived the truth of the Holy Grail were thick on the ground

A golden halo was reported above the heads of the Friar and a Disciple

It was agreed that the recipe of prospective earnings and secret herbs and spices would be forever kept from Dug given his own crusade to establish VWAP and the need not to distract him

However reports of miraculous cures by Hilarius for dying drought stricken elm trees are slightly exaggerated

The Holy Grail was last seen on a Camberwell tram, under a seat occupied by a skeleton, and driven by two multicultural trainee drivers dedicated to the task of non arrival at any destination, and mummification of passengers

Terrified screams from tortured traders at the back of the tram can still be heard as its ghostly clanging bell rings out in the fog of a dark Melbourne night. Apostles trained by Hilarius during his Victorian missionary journey teach forbidden fundamentals to a fearful group of technical analysts

Hilarius is grateful to all who welcomed him, and who refrained from having him walk the plank for his insistence that fundamentals matter

The IC traders are an astute and welcoming presence in Australia's financial capital

I returned to break the Queensland drought in a deluge of thunderclouds and lightning

Maybe I can break the Victorian drought next time

Thanks to all who made me so welcome

With Best Wishes

Hilarius

spider

Post Number: 2552

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:25 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to Canberra for back to back Womens National Basketball titles.
5 championships in 8 seasons, and this one without Lauren Jackson.

spider

Post Number: 2553

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:31 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to MELBOURNE VICTORY.

6 goals to 0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archie Thompson.............. 5 goals!

spider

Post Number: 2564

Rating: 

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou Billy............... sleep well.

spider

Post Number: 2565

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 02:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a busy few weeks.

You could tell that the market was running by the number of posts on the forum, mostly up around the 70 plus mark.

Flat markets run at about the 40 plus mark.
Down markets at about 20 or less.
Roaring bull runs at 70 plus.

Keep an eye on the total number of posts over the next week or two and compare it with the state of the market.

I'm still waiting for ken to tell us how to chart the "IC factor".

The unpleasantness on another thread seems to have finally been resolved.
We all get it wrong from time to time, but it is a shame that it takes some people such a long time to do the right thing.

The NBL grand final series is about to begin, with The Tigers trying to make it two in a row. The Bullets are a worthy opponent, and they have the weapons to win the series, and after 20 years I know that Brisbane would love to have the trophy back.

One of the great legends of Australian rock died yesterday.
Billy Thorpe will be missed.

I hope you did not lose too much money today.
Tomorrow is always a new day.

spider.

starboard_tack
Username: starboard_tack

Post Number: 345

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 03:54 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider,

I would love a chart of the "IC Factor". I have been a follower for a while of a variation of it. It seems that posts become more aggressive when the market is nervous- always worth taking care then.

Your link to "some people", as usual, has hit the nail on the head. I have to confess to being one of the posters that remains silent. It gets too much at times though, and I have used the "abuse" button several times. However, that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Everything has to be a competition to these characters - "I told you so...", "I was right...", "I was the first to suggest...", etc, and all delivered in nasty tones. It does indeed ruin an otherwise excellent forum.

Maybe its time all us posters that "do not want to get involved" started to speak up! I am going sailing again soon, but I will pop my head in occasionally. If things haven't changed, I will be speaking out more.

Regards,
Starb'd

"The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails."

philr
Username: philr

Post Number: 127

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too would like to see that chart of IC posts. Will have to request it from Colin in the Feedback section.

Wonder what indicators we could add to it.

Phil

captain_chaza

Post Number: 2463

Rating: 

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:17 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Starboard Tack

Was it not your Rule of One
that IC'ers start fighting amongst themselves in Bad times
I thought you're observation was Brilliant!

However, Nobody is fighting this time around
Go figure?

Just Leave it to me!
Heads are going to roll over this one!!

Please Trust Me!
The shit is about to hit the fan!

Salute and Gods' speed

Capn

macca888
Username: macca888

Post Number: 122

Rating: 

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 06:58 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day all

I think the quote goes something like
"Evil happens when good men do nothing"

Well I don't think that any poster has tried to be evil (perhaps with the exception of one and I'm not to judge as I don't have the facts so she will remain unspoken of) but there are a few who have tried to be a pain in the arse and to their credit have largely achieved their goal.

On the topic of bullies I wish to tell you the story of "hubcup".
I had the unfortunate fate of meeting this bully.
He was built like a D8 bulldozer and moved through life with about the same aplomb.
A born manipulator whose physical presence almost made me sick. I shouldn't go on.

Now this despicable piece of sh*t readily and happily admitted to me that he had watched as TWO people drowned in a lake.
(I was able to check some of the facts through the press)
You see, "hubcap", didn't have the courage to put his own life at risk in order to save these two unfortunate non swimmers who had gotten into trouble from which they were unable to extricate themselves.

Now hubcap was PROUD of his lack of achievement.
No note of thanks did he need from the unfortunates parents, family or children. He was tough.

When it came time for me to challenge "hubcap" which became increasingly evident and necessary I suggested to him that a measure of a person's courage is not if he will blindly beat another to a pulp, nor to shoot another person (which he had done), nor to hurt people he felt needed or deserved hurting but rather whether he was prepared to put his own life in harms way to save another.

I know spider has talked of "courage" before and to me it is a measure of what you are prepared to do to save others knowing that your own life is in danger but you may pull through. It is not a blind or instinctive reaction nor one where your own fate is certainly sealed.

So my hope is that this forum will continue to monitor itself and that more people will have some courage.

"Buy low, sell high is a cliche, not a blueprint for action. It blinds investors to the professionals' approach of buying high and selling higher." Stan Weinstein

"A prudent speculator never argues with the tape. Markets are never wrong - opinions often are". Jesse Livermore

"The only sound reason for buying a stock is that it is rising in price.
If that is happening, no other reason is required.
If that is not happening, no other reason is worth considering".Nicolas Darvas

lafee
Username: lafee

Post Number: 321

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought this was interesting. It's a quote from Robert Cialdini's "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion"

"A study by a pair of Canadian psychologists uncovered something fascinating about people at the racetrack: Just after placing a bet, they are much more confident of their horse's chances of winning than they are immediately before laying down that bet. Of course, nothing about the horse's chances actually shifts; it's the same horse, on the same track, in the same field; but in the minds of those bettors, its prospects improve significantly once that ticket is purchased Ö Thirty seconds before putting down their money, they had been tentative and uncertain; thirty seconds after the deed, they were significantly more optimistic and self-assured. The act of making a final decision - in this case, of buying a ticket, had been the critical factor. Once a stand had been taken, the need for consistency pressured these people to bring what they felt and believed into line with what they had already done Ö".

Could this explain many traders problem with overtrading. Do people feel uncomfortable without a position?

Cheers

Lafee

If nobody can be certain of anything, how can I be certain of that?

Ayn Rand

When I was young people called me a gambler. As the scale of my operations increased, I became known as a speculator. Now I am called a banker. But I have been doing the same thing all the time.

Ernest Cassel

"My major hobby is teasing people who take themselves & the quality of their knowledge too seriously & those who donít have the guts to sometimes say: I donít know...." (You may not be able to change the world but can at least get some entertainment & make a living out of the epistemic arrogance of the human race).

Nassim Nicholas Taleb

lafee
Username: lafee

Post Number: 324

Rating: 

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 08:54 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider,

Good to see you quoting Ayn Rand. I highly recommend her novels, the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged (I think it is currently being made into a movie). You will find much information regarding the mindset of the bully.

Cheers

Lafee

If nobody can be certain of anything, how can I be certain of that?

Ayn Rand

When I was young people called me a gambler. As the scale of my operations increased, I became known as a speculator. Now I am called a banker. But I have been doing the same thing all the time.

Ernest Cassel

"My major hobby is teasing people who take themselves & the quality of their knowledge too seriously & those who donít have the guts to sometimes say: I donít know...." (You may not be able to change the world but can at least get some entertainment & make a living out of the epistemic arrogance of the human race).

Nassim Nicholas Taleb

wanabe1

Post Number: 521

Rating: 

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:14 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting to know the spider better.

Spider 'chastity belt' discovered
From correspondents in Berlin
March 06, 2007

A NEW study by German scientists of spiders' copulation techniques found that males leave part of their sex organ inside their female partner as a sort of "chastity belt" to deter rivals.
"By breaking off parts of their intromittent organs inside a virgin female, males can reduce sperm competition and thereby increase their paternity success," the Bonn University researchers wrote in the journal, Behavioural Ecology.

After setting the tone by shaking the female's web, the male has only seconds to have sex before the larger female kills him.

In more than 80 per cent of cases, the tip of the male's genital organ breaks off inside the female.

This appears to be the result of a hasty getaway - but also leaves behind a sort of chastity belt that keeps other males away, the study showed.

regards,

spider

Post Number: 2566

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:51 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't easy being me.

Based on that research, you would think that I would make a better 'hit and run' trader.

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2570

Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 02:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers played their hearts out but the Brisbane were two good in game four winning the Grand Final series 3 games to 1.

vermante
Username: vermante

Post Number: 631

Rating: 

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 03:37 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a member of U3A Knox in Victoria and belong to an investment group that meet once a week.

I invited Spider to address the group and to share his trading experience with group members - whose degree of trading experience varied from very little to 1 or two years.

Despite having to front up at 9.50 am (Spider does not usually surface until after 12.00 noon)Spider readily excepted the invitation and proved to be an extremely entertaining an informative speaker.

The 1 hour allocated for Spider's presentation proved far too short - and many members took the opportunity to meet with Spider afterwards for morning tea in the gardens of U3A.

Spider - Many thanks from all U3A investment club members

Cheers

Vermante

spider

Post Number: 2571

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:02 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spider had a lot of fun.
thank you very much for inviting me.
spider.

vermante
Username: vermante

Post Number: 632

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 07:11 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dug

Thank you for your interest in U3a Knox - below is their web address for further research.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~u3aknox/

U3A's are a world wide organization , and you will find a branch in Brisbane

I should have said Most of the Members had 1 or 2 years experience , but there were a few experienced investors, and even a succesful day trader amongst them.

I apologise for my poor choice of words in painting an incorrect picture as to the overall experience of the group.

During the course of the year ,
people of interest from various segments of the Finance industry will be invited to address the investment group.

The group was very impressed with Spiders speech and he was enthusiastically invited to address the group again .

Cheers

Vermante

spider

Post Number: 2575

Rating: 

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 01:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/05/14/1178995076755.html

spider

Post Number: 2578

Rating: 
Votes: 3

Friday, July 06, 2007 - 04:56 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SUEMAC

Over the years I have watched posters come and go and I often wonder what happened to them, but this is the first time we have heard about 'one of our own' who has died.

We shared the same birth year, and I liked reading her stuff.

A few years ago I posted a topic under the heading of "ABSENT FRIENDS".
Susieq's husband has just died, and I wanted to say how I felt.
I didn't want to put her under any extra pressure at that time , so I did not mention her name.

suemac (susan) was the only person who added any thought to that thread.
She mentioned her Scottish born husband (our hearts go out to him), and the fact that he gives that toast at new years.

I never met suemac in person, but none the less she was 'one of us', and she will be in my thoughts when next I give that toast.

ABSENT FRIENDS.

spider.

wanabe1

Post Number: 547

Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I liked reading her stuff, too.
God speed Suemac!

regards
wanabe1

qed

Post Number: 70

Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:51 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider, Ive tried to write something but the bloody tears keep fogging my glasses.

VALE SUSAN

spider

Post Number: 2580

Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:59 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday Jesse.
130 years.

julles
Username: julles

Post Number: 1789

Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:25 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Updating you Spider on where I'm at, just so you remember me,

Grandson born last night at 7.18

He's beautiful and out of my depth now as it's been nearly 16 years since I changed a nappy.

Anywho, whoowoo for moi'

Julles

spider

Post Number: 2581

Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:54 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

julles,
you just made my day!
Congratulations, and all the best for the mum.
What an exciting time.

Warmest spider regards.

A small furry present for the little one.

julles

Post Number: 1790

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 02:54 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the way it is , isn't it Spider the duality

My only brother up and died on Friday night a cardiac arrest

He presented himself to the medical centre with a cold and while being treated he arrested.

He was 47 three years older than me.

A baby then a Death, my life sucks big time, WoW

I've pulled everything out of the market monday morning, I'm so much in shock yet I have to function, Mum isn't capable and shouldn't be held responsible anyway. Nor should I for that matter, he is survived by 2 children.

I've taken it on, as there is no-one else, thankfully my partner husband and friend has been there as much as he could. But I need just a friend if you have something inspiring and spiritual that you could say to ME right now tomorrow or the next, it would be appreciated from my soul

I am feeling so weak, my brother, uncle grandfather did all arrangements when they were alive.

They are all gone now, and I am learning that it is up to me.

Thankyou for listening

Julles

aka Braveheart

xxxx

spider

Post Number: 2582

Rating: 

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 06:36 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi julles,
my heart goes out to you, and mrs spider sends her love.

I so dearly wish that I could say something that would make you feel a little better.
Maybe, if we were face to face, we could sit quietly and discuss the meaning of life (one of my favourite subjects in recent times), but the written word can only convey so much.
What you really need is a hug. Consider yourself hugged.

It seems to me that our souls get very tired from being attached to these limited bodies of ours, and when they have achieved all that they set out to achieve in this life, they move on.

Be happy that your brother's soul is now free, but be sad that you have to wait to see him and be with him again. Be sad for as long as you need to be sad.

I know that you will find the strength to do the things that need doing, but when it is all over remember to take some time out for 'you'. Be a little bit 'selfish', and look after yourself for a while.

If it all gets to be a bit much, go and hug that beautiful new baby, nothing restores the soul like holding a new baby in your arms.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

spider.

ingot54
Username: ingot54

Post Number: 1904

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 08:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julles, from our family to you, we wish you love, strength and peace through this tragedy. Words will not cut it, so I am sending prayers and heartfelt thoughts out to you in these days.

With love

Ingot and family

Flying Free

Keep Smiling - Don't look back

Trading style: Chartist Artist _ Breakouts and Shakeouts.

wanabe1

Post Number: 553

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:52 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my prayers too, julles.

take care,
w1

hilarius

Post Number: 2666

Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 05:21 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julles

There just aren't enough words to offer

Or maybe it is that I just don't have the right ones

I am thinking of you and praying for your strength in the midst of your loss

A life ended and new life are what we are all given at one time or another

The fact that joy and sadness came so close together is a reminder that none of us knows the hour or the day when the life we have will be taken from us, but new lives are a gift of hope

With every possible good wish in your future roles

Roger H [Hilarius]

kate
Username: kate

Post Number: 724

Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 08:44 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julles,

I'll email you.

Kate

qed

Post Number: 71

Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:53 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julles , Sincere condolences , Qed

julles

Post Number: 1795

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 09:31 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, the service was held yesterday and Mum held up well with support. Time for reflection and healing now.

Your support was appreciated. Julles

spider

Post Number: 2584

Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 05:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twenty years on...........................

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/a-survivors-tale--20-years-on/2007/09/29/1190486635627.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

julles

Post Number: 1801

Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:50 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok back full time at work and looking forward.

Is this not the cutest Baby you've ever seen.... Proud Nani :-)

Baby Blake, Future Gun Trader :-) Look out fellas

Hope your all well Julles

(Message edited by julles on October 26, 2007)

spider

Post Number: 2593

Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 05:06 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An excellent read............ makes you think.

http://www.shirky.com/herecomeseverybody/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html

ohkoolnutz
Username: ohkoolnutz

Post Number: 750

Friday, May 09, 2008 - 02:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting this gem of an article.

---
ohk

Lies, Damn Lies and Technical Analysis

spider

Post Number: 2597

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 04:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An email from a US trader got me thinking about trading breakthroughs.
That moment (or moments) in our trading lives when the pieces start to fall into place.

spider

Post Number: 2598

Friday, September 19, 2008 - 09:08 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of traders would have been bounced around quite a bit over the last few months. When everything goes pear shaped how do we find our way back home How do we rebuild confidence after a setback?

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2599

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:57 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1907 the seeds for the Federal Reserve were laid. J.P. Morgan's leadership saved the US from ruin and Jesse Livermore made a fortune and a reputation.
Back then short traders were blamed for the mess and the misplaced animosity flowed like a flooded river.
People always need someone to blame.
The government regulators need to distance themselves from their incompetent counterparts in the US, so we have the ridiculous situation where all short trading (in shares) is banned.

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2600

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 08:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few days back I wrote a piece on finding your way back home and qed posted a question............

"QED
ah spider , I know the way back home ,, im just having trouble taking the first step, HOW do I take the first step?
Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:28 PM"

My reply..........................

SPIDER
That's an excellent question.
But I have to be honest and say that I'm not 100% sure of what you are asking.
But for now let's assume that I do know and I'll answer it this way.

Go back to a time when your trading was going exactly the way you wanted it to. Now, write down how you were feeling at the time, what you were saying to yourself and others at the time, how you walked at the time, what you expected to get from trading at that time.

Take all of those answers and add it to the types of trades you were making at the time and put it all together.

Now, do your best to replicate as many of those conditions as possible. It is OK to cheat a bit and it is OK to pretend a bit, if that is what it takes. Above all you need to get back to the state of mind you were in when everything was going well.

Now comes the hard part. You need to work out what changed, and what got you away from that "perfect" way of thinking and being.

Good luck, and please let me know how you got on.

spider.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008 - 07:55 PM
}

spider

Post Number: 2601

Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:20 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the IC legends has decided to retire (at least from the forum).
I for one hope he changes his mind. He left once before but then returned, so hopefully, somewhere down the track, he will reappear.
In the meantime, I will imagine him touring around the countryside in his MX5.
Fortunately, he did not take the keys to the executive washroom with him.
A simple search on "bundy" will yield his often wise observations on the art of trading.

Over the weekend I was wondering about the recent decline in our market. The bull run has gone on for so long that it must have been hard for long term traders to let go of their declining positions. It is easy to to fall in love with a position if for no other reason than the fact that you have held it for so long.

These are testing times for new or inexperienced traders (for experienced traders as well, I guess). When in doubt, go back to the basics, ask yourself again, "Why did I get into trading?". "What did I hope to achieve?"
Has your trading taken you away from your original goals? Has the turmoil of recent times upset you and your trading, or did you see it as just another opportunity?

Traders are motivated by many different things. You may need to look back, and see if you are still on track.

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2602

Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:23 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bundy's retirement (hopefully he will miss us and return when the MX5 runs out of gas) got me thinking about specialisation.

When we first find this amazing thing called trading we tend to bounce around all over the place looking for the holy grail. With experience comes the realisation that we are better at some things more than others.
Bundy was an experienced options trader, he knew it inside out and he stuck to his guns.

There are many trading secrets (well at least 13) but most only reveal themselves to those who persevere.

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2603

Rating: 

Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spider loves movies, particularly old black and white movies.
'The river of no Return ' is a particular favourite. Single parent Robert Mitchum and his son are working their farm on the edge of the great river, keeping one eye on the weather and the other eye on the Indians. Then out of nowhere comes Rory Calhoun.

This is a recuring theme in movies and in real life.
You bust your butt to make a living and along comes a massive unexpected event to blow away all your dreams, and you are left asking
"What happened?"
Hard work is not enough, it never has been. We have to understand as best we can, what the forces are that shape our world. If we don't we are destined to be buffeted by these elements, as the Captain would say, like so much flotsam.

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2604

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 01:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's times like these that it is important to go back and review the basics.
Volatile markets can be a remarkable place to be if you are a trader, but only if you have mastered the basics.

spider

spider

Post Number: 2605

Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:00 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching a youtube video the other day on the subject of levels of consciousness. It brings up some interesting ideas, but that's not what I am writing about here. In this video it quotes a study that says that about 10% of the worlds population is in an advanced state of consciousness but only about 1% is capable of "being in the moment" on a consistent basis.

As strange as it may seem, I feel that it is important to be able to see the big picture in order to be able to relax and 'be in the moment'.

spider.

captain_chaza

Post Number: 3500

Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 04:29 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Spider

What's your story?
Are you Long?
Without being specific only the identity of each class of sail would be sufficient

I understand that EGO is Everything!
(With an Ego the size of yours)

Are you Short?
NO! I don't think so!

Salute and Gods' speed

Crikey! The last I heard of you was after you sold your 2 news-agencies and sailed off over the horizon in arm with our Brave and Loyal Sweet Princess Ann

How is my and our Sea-Cadet Sweet Princess Ann ?

Geez I miss her!

wanabe1

Post Number: 556

Friday, October 24, 2008 - 07:13 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..ahhh, the great spider..consistently relevant...
..got a question too....

From a less significant poster- a lesser mortal- ĎIs it time to come home?í

Vaguely yours,
w1

(Message edited by colin_twiggs on October 27, 2008)

captain_chaza

Post Number: 3509

Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:31 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Ingot #54

I would appreciate if you refrain from sending me any more Private emails

These are private jokes between Spids and I that you would have absolutely NO idea about!

I certainly don't need any of your stressed out Private thoughts emailed to me in private

Please! Just go away and leave my PRIVATE email box free from any of your unsolicited advice

Salute and Bon Voyage

ingot54
Username: ingot54

Post Number: 2131

Rating: 

Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for clearing that up in the gentlest and kindest manner of which you are capable, Captain Chaza.

I appreciate your effort.

Please accept my apology for bothering you privately with rubbish that does not belong on a public share trading forum. It was an attempt to resolve something privately which would not bring this forum into disrepute, and I smack myself for not remembering that we value the forum differently.

However, now that we are all aware that the ostensible innuendo was in fact a private joke, I'll go away again, with further reinforcement of my belief that Incredible Charts is indeed an ego-driven, unfriendly place for those who happen to hold differing views to the "great" personalities that abide here.

No hard feelings ... in fact - no feelings at all!

Keep Smiling - Don't look back

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something ~ Thomas A. Edison

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have ~ Margaret Mead

spider

Post Number: 2607

Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 06:18 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer the Captain......... neither long nor short at the moment, but that's today.......... ask me again tomorrow.
Just my opinion, but it would take a brave trader to be long in anything other than a short term position, don't you think?
The big money in being short has probably already been made and the celebrations would have been going on for some time. Short traders need a bit of luck but by any measure this has been one of the best shorting runs in decades. Normally you only get one good go at a 'correction' but this slide has had several phases to it and if you were short at the right time there were at least two opportunities to make spectacular returns, and at least five other opportunities to make reasonable returns.

But back to the present; it seems to me that the smart money is sitting on its hands and waiting to see what happens. Jessie Livermore said that the big money was made 'in the waiting'.

With the current panic that is around it would be good to remember that some super funds are selling some positions to meet the requirements of their members that want to remove their money and many more funds are meeting this baby 'run' by using the large amount of cash that comes their way each month. This means that they are not yet buying into this market. Probably all short term stuff but interesting none the less.

As for Princess Ann, even my psychic doesn't know where she is and I like it that way!

wanabe1 I have never considered you a lesser mortal.

I'm not sure what your question means but thank you for asking.

The article that I wrote
under that title is more about coping with that 'kicked in the guts' felling that you get as a 'long trader' when it all comes unstuck and the market turns down after a long bull run, but I know that you have seen this happen before.

These are difficult times for many traders. The lessons, or secrets if you like, that are learned over many years, are the things that pull us through.

spider

captain_chaza

Post Number: 3526

Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 07:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Spids

I knew that you would not be offended with my sometimes very dry/Bad humour but I always found your fighting with the Sweet Princess VERY entertaining

Throwing food at each other over the Captain's Table and trying to scratch each others eyes out has left so many fond memories in my mind I will never forget

What was really funny is that Sea-Cadet #54 came up to me and inferred that I was getting TOO personal about your private life

So I let him have it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKmBvm6ReO4&feature=related

Salute and Gods' speed

spider

Post Number: 2608

Rating: 

Friday, October 31, 2008 - 02:30 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Captain,
good to hear from you. spider will always remember that very first voyage.
Be kind to ingot54, he's a good bloke.
How is that excellent sidewalk cafe?

This will put a smile on your face. About ten minutes after I made my most recent post I was in the emergency room of our local hospital! A recurrence of an old tummy problem. Back home now, but there is nothing like some serious pain to clear and focus the mind. A night spent in hospital is a clear reminder that our little problems are just that, little. A few of my fellow inmates will probably not be as lucky as spider and make it home again.
A neighbour drove me in and my good lady sat with me through it all. Friends and family are the reasons that we work so hard at this endeavour.

Always take the time to hug those that you love, and never take your time here for granted.

Captain, I appreciate your friendship and the friendship of all the posters on IC (well, not everyone!).

For those that are doing it tough, spider would like to say " hang in there" and don't lose sight of why you embarked on this journey in the first place.

spider.

wanabe1

Post Number: 557

Friday, October 31, 2008 - 03:07 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda miss her too - Princess Ann.
And the AHOY- I kinda miss that too.
As for the great one- ummm.. I don't know.
He always seems to get lucky.
...lucky b....rd!

regards

ps. Is it time to sail back home?

captain_chaza

Post Number: 3528

Friday, October 31, 2008 - 04:19 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahoy Officer Spids

I take what you say onboard seriously regarding Sea-Cadet #54
and admit that I still love him

He is just "That sort of Guy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M4NmjAtVNQ&feature=related

Ahoy Sea-Cadet Wannabe #1

It's never about luck
"If you wish hard enough, It will come true"

Salute and Gods' speed

NB : Be Very Careful What You Wish For!

(Message edited by Captain_Chaza on October 31, 2008)

spider

Post Number: 2609

Rating: 

Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 01:37 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it time to sail for home?

That's a good question.

Firstly, I would refer you to the middle part of this post.........
https://forum.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=35933&post=141920

As long as the words " panic withdrawals" and "runs on mortgage institutions" keep popping up, I would think that sailing anywhere was not a great idea (except on a very short term basis).
Even the little chart on my iPhone says that we are below the trendline. Pretty much any trendline that you might want to draw. As long as we are below that line there is no justification to be bullish.

While we are waiting for more bullish times you may want to watch this.......

for all the MILES DAVIS and JOHN COLTRANE fans out there.....

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TbrgIdm0E&feature=email

THE BIG MONEY IS MADE IN THE WAITING. And while you are waiting, a wee dram will help while away the time. Glass in hand waiting for the gloaming.

spider.

qed

Post Number: 106

Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 02:49 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Spider, bout 12 months ago I was given John Coltrane cd "Ballads" recorded dec21 1961 with McCoy Tyner,piano,Reggie Workman ,bass, Jimmy Garrison,bass, and Elvin Jones , drums , just about the best J.C disc going round , I was given the "vanguard collection" good but "ballads " is easier to listen to IMO. cheers and good listening Qed

spider

Post Number: 2610

Monday, November 03, 2008 - 07:00 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spider

Post Number: 2611

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 07:55 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Saturday spider attended his 40 year high school reunion and as you would expect the conversation turned to the share market.

At the end of the night I realised that I had repeated the phrase "trade to your sleep level" over and over again.
Judging by my former school mates, there are a lot of people out there who are still sitting on positions that have probably halved over the last year. That can produce a lot of anxiety when you add on the carnage in the super funds.
spider

wanabe1

Post Number: 559

Friday, November 14, 2008 - 08:55 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the DOW, is 8000 home?

More than a significant technical level itís also very Confucian.
Confucian was the start of the highly successful Beijing Olympics- 08-08-08.
It opened of course at the thunder of 2008 drums.

Confucian was Phelps historical achievement of 8 gold medals.
In a way Obama-08, is Confucian.

2008 at 8000? Now w1 is really confused.

regards

ps. I luv reunions. In times like this , there's nothing like a good occasion for nostalgia.

spider

Post Number: 2613

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 01:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All those 8s, my head is spinning!

Having been to a reunion I'm still not sure how I feel about them.

One of the problems of being a bit older (apart from the occasion aches and pains...... back in hospital AGAIN yesterday!) is the tendency to look back more than we look forward. I guess the feeling is that there is more behind us than there is in front of us. My goal over the last year has been to do less 'looking back' and more of being in the moment with just a bit of 'looking forward'. The year aint over yet so I still have a bit of time to achieve my goal.

Is it just me or are ambulance drivers looking younger?

Thanks for the comments "big W".
I hope that all the little w's and the medium sized w's are all well.

spider.

hailoh
Username: hailoh

Post Number: 273

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:41 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider,

As one who is well into the official 7th decile I decided long ago there was wasn't much future in just adding years. I decided that I'd turn my interpretation of the age clock back until I hit on a comfortable figure and just cruise there. I ignore remarks about backward ageing meeting juvenile tendency. My advice - start any new interesting project that drives the grey matter into overdrive and most important of all stay clear of hospitals. They have a fascination for organic recycling.

See you in in the bush some time!

wanabe1

Post Number: 560

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 08:21 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...'aches and pains...... back in hospital AGAIN '!
It must be 'em pretty Nurses!
Take care!

And great One 'Thank you'.

regards

spider

Post Number: 2614

Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 01:58 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hailoh,
excellent advice I'll follow it to the letter.

Big W,
mixed fortunes when it came to nurses.
Mind you I'm more interested in their ability to steer the very young doctors in the right direction when I first arrive in the ED.
As the pain subsides and I'm waiting for someone to tell me that I can get the hell out of there, there is more time to appreciate the 'scenery'. The ED tends to attract more mature and experienced nurses, but that's OK with spider (who is definitely mature!)

The most competent nurse I had was a bloke. Not much to look at but knew his job, and when I could appreciate it I noticed that he had a good sense of humour. Another nurse has six kids. Six kids and night duty in the ED, what a gal!
My most recent trip threw up a nurse who listened to me which kept the experience focused on my problem and less on the hospital covering it's arse! She stood up to my doctor and won almost all the battles (he still insisted that I needed a drip. Unfortunately she went off duty and I was stuck with a nurse who had been called in at the last minute to cover an absence. She really did not want to be there.

Unfortunately. there is always at least one baby in the ED whenever I'm there. On one level the sound of a distressed baby cuts right through you especially if you have had kids of your own, on another level it makes it very hard to sleep even when you are exhausted.
I was there long enough this time to see a baby and it's parents go home. You could see the relief on everyone's face.

There are certain rules to surviving a trip to the ED.
If you need help ask for it.
Leave you dignity at the door, you wont need it.
Make sure the staff listen to you.
Listen to what the doctor says and don't assume that he understands as well as your nurse does.
Pain is not your friend in this situation, ask for relief if you need it.
Next time you are passing by drop off some chocolate biscuits as a 'thank you'.

spider

wanabe1

Post Number: 561

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 07:08 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, i will be in Melbourne this weekend-Sat night-Mon Night.
Little w will be watching 'Wicked-The Musicale'.
So 'chocolate biscuits as a 'thank you'- e-mail me the details if you are still at the hospital.
If not, perhaps instead of the chokies I can interest you to dinner,my treat or drink,my shout!
I'm booked at The Swanton Hotel. With only little w and mrs. w out to the theatre, will be free Sunday night.

regards

qed

Post Number: 107

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 08:31 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider ,hope ur OK ,, one thing about lying in ED with broken hip makes u realise there are a lot worse off than ones self and when some trumped up .... who dosent really want to be there says"I think ur paranoid about ur pain" tell the charge nurse, hehe next time the trump comes in the difference will be amazing LOL ...Cheers Qed

spider

Post Number: 2616

Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 01:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big W, spider would love to share a drink on Sunday.
I'm a cheap date at the moment due to dodgy tummy.

qed,
got my results back the other day and it looks like a spot of surgery for spider so I will probably get a chance to put your plan into action.

spider.

wanabe1

Post Number: 562

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 08:54 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great One,
Just got back from Melbourne last night. We missed that one.
While li'l and mrs. ws' were at the theatre, Sunday evening was spent
reading 'Twilight'(a must for Dad's gung-ho when it comes to the daughter-dad thing).

There should be a next time for the well rehearsed wanabe1 ĎMex waveí to the great One -
especially now that Mrs. W is more determined to do an annual inspection of her
humble South Bank investment (if she survives the current crisis).

So you take care of yourself.
Survive, you hear!!

regards,
w1

wanabe1

Post Number: 563

Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:38 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Confucian 8000 level is being retested. Can it hold?

What are the Confucian thoughts for 2009?
2009 is less Confucian than 2008. '9' has one less 'O' than '8' but instead itís got that tail.
In a technical sense,I've read somewhere that tails are significant especially if found in seeming bottoms.
Ahhhh if only itís more technical than Confucian perhaps trading these days could be less confusing.
Regardless, itís the Year of the Ox! A castrated but raging bull- is there such an animal?

'Kung Hei Fat Choy!!' everyone.
And to you Great One- may IT be raging...

regards

spider

Post Number: 2617

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:22 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spider is hoping that everyone here at IC has RSI from counting their profits from 2009.

May your God smile upon you in the coming year.

spider.

spider

Post Number: 2618

Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 10:54 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spider is still receiving newsletters from Louise Bedford after all these years and they are usually a good read.

The most recent one started with Louise's trademark positive approach which she does so well. She says it all so much better than spider so I will post it here exactly as it came to me................

"WHEN I GRADUATED FROM UNI I had it. When I had a job, I had it. After I lost my job, I still had it. Somehow I couldn't shake it.

I couldn't shake the perception of myself as a share trader.

Goodness knows why I clung to this perception, but I did. It has kept me chained to my desk, peering at charts for more years than I care to number, and it's made it seriously impossible for me to entertain the idea of doing anything else for a living for very long.

I have a feeling that the tendency to perceive yourself as a trader is more than just a case of simple will. I think too that it plays a big part in who ultimately makes it as a trader, and who doesn't. I'm absolutely certain that this self-definition had a lot to do with the development of my career."

So, how do you describe yourself to others when they ask the question: "What do you do?" Is trading somewhere near the top of your priority list, or has it dropped way down to number 538? I can tell you now that the traders with determination and singleness of purpose will be the ones who come out on top in this game.

You know, so many people would love to be a trader, but so many lack the discipline required.

This is a good thing, my friend. Being a good trader is reserved only for the most committed, diligent people, determined to seriously impact their financial futures."

The point she is making is a very important one.

Over the years I have received many emails from traders who want to become full time and I usually ask a couple of questions just to get a feel of their resolve. Over the years I have put countless hours in with traders only to see them slip away, sometimes at the first hurdle but more often after a period of years.

When people ask you what you do, what do you say?
Do you see yourself as a trader first and then a whatever?

I know how hard this journey can be so one of the questions that I ask is..... 'What would it take for you to give up on being a trader?'

If you have an answer for this question then save yourself a whole lot of pain and pack it in right now.

spider.

http://www.spiderstradingweb.com\

spider

Post Number: 2622

Friday, December 02, 2011 - 03:50 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time Will Tell.

ďEverything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is enough time.Ē
George Bernard Shaw

Mr Shaw probably wasnít talking about trading when he spoke those words but they certainly do apply.

Traders who make it past the five year mark have probably seen quite a bit and they start to notice some things re occurring. That is to say that they are seeing certain set ups happening again.

Those who make it to the ten year mark, and there are very, very few who do, will probably have seen most of the things that are likely to happen in a traders life.

Now I know what you are thinking, all I have to do is go through a ten year chart and I can see all these things without having to live through them. If you think this then you have probably missed the point.

Paper trading and long term chart surfing have their place but it is not the same as living through it.

Experience is everything, thatís why doctors spend many years as interns.

Sadly, most traders donít hang around long enough to gain the experience.
It amazes me that new traders will invest large sums of money in trading courses often pouring copious amounts of capital into the market only to give up just when they have seen enough to probably survive as a trader.

Why does this happen so often?

To be honest, Iím not really sure, but Iím brave enough to make a few guesses.
The biggest problem seems to be the impression that trading is Ďeasy.'
In fact, the mechanics of trading are not that difficult and can be mastered quite quickly but traders do not understand the effect that trading has on the mind.
Iíve been writing about trading for a long time and most of what I write has to do with the psychology of trading because I know that this is what stops traders from succeeding.

I have learned, over these many years, that I am basically talking to myself as most new traders are not listening.

Most people who are planning a career expect to spend many years studying followed by many years gaining experience and hopefully rising through the ranks until finally earning a high salary.
On the other hand, people expect to be earning large amounts of money in a short space of time when they enter trading.
Amazing!

Apart from unrealistic expectations the other big problem is loneliness.
Trading is a solitary occupation and most people need other people around them or they suffer the effects.

Trading really should not take up more than a few hours a day and most of that time should be when the market is closed, but most people come from a background where they have been taught that the harder you work the more successful you become.
These people end up glued to the screen during market hours and often overtrade because they believe that activity equals work. They eat in front of the screen and wont even take a few minutes off to take a walk in case they miss something. These people are often successful traders but they end up with very little to show for it as they pour most of their profit in brokerage fees.

A traderís first few years can be spent reading everything they can get their hands on and going through as many charts as possible; this last part is very important. The more charts you look at the better you will be at seeing profitable set ups.

Once you have gotten to the point where you can see an opportunity at a glance you can probably restrict your trading to a small number of instruments.
Trading the major index is a smarter way to trade as the overall sentiment is usually quite obvious but traders balk at this as they love to hunt down Ďbargainsí, and I must admit that this can be fun but it takes up a lot of time, so if you want to trade but you enjoy doing other things then becoming an Ďexpertí in one or two instruments makes a lot of sense.

These things I have learned with the passage of time.

Iím confident that most of you will ignore my advice in the same way that I also know from the passage of time that the market attracts a constant stream of new blood only too happy to shovel their money into the pockets of those traders who have hung around long enough to learn about and master their own fears and ambition.

I used to think that the saying attributed to P.T. Barnum, ďThereís a sucker born every minuteĒ, was a bit harsh but when it comes to the share market it is true and most of the suckers have deep pockets and they will contribute a great deal before they walk away, only to be replaced by another person who believes that there is a short cut to financial success.

May their God bless them, for the market surely will not.

shawky
Username: shawky

Post Number: 581

Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:31 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Spider
Glad to hear from you.

spider wrote on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 04:50 pm:

In fact, the mechanics of trading are not that difficult and can be mastered quite quickly but traders do not understand the effect that trading has on the mind.
Iíve been writing about trading for a long time and most of what I write has to do with the psychology of trading because I know that this is what stops traders from succeeding.

'Couldn't be closer to the truth.

Separating the mechanics of trading from the emotion of success and failure is extremely difficult. Having a lack of support from family/friends/peers makes it much more difficult.

Kind regards
Shawky

spider

Post Number: 2623

Friday, January 06, 2012 - 04:01 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Shawky,
glad to hear from you also.
Good to see one of the 'originals' still going strong.
As you know, it is rare for anyone to survive for very long as a trader, so hats off to you. Long may you prosper.
Sorry this reply took so long, I only log in occasionally.

spider

Post Number: 2624

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 09:02 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday [Wednesday 29th] marked the 72nd anniversary of the death of Jesse Livermore. If you don't know who he was I suggest you look him up. Read his bio or read 'Reminiscences of a stock operator'. If then, you are not inspired, you are in the wrong business.

spider.

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1821

Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 10:42 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Spider..can concur, and reminisce, with you about Jesse's great contribution to Market analysis with that lovely(brown)soft cover book. It was one of my 1st reads when I 1st started out(many, many moons ago) and I still enjoy flicking thru it every now and then...its more like a treasured novel, don't you think?

By the way, what are you up to these day's?...hope you are still travelin' well!

Dolphin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Threads by Last Post Time:

First 0 1 2 3 4 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»