You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Archive through October 26, 2010

Chart Forum » Hilarius' Hall Of Fame » Elliott Wave Watching » Archive through October 26, 2010

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
billt
Username: billt

Post Number: 431

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 06:27 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I continue to keep an open view to proceedings, but I find some of the chartists quite funny in their totally committed view of the action ahead. I'll label this guy 'Curbs'. A 'prechter boy' this one...

Head & Shoulders set-up is what 'Curbs' sees, to take out 1150, but it doesn't stop there.

'Curbs won't come in until 1044'...so a 10% crash and the stock markets close down...now this guy is not taking prisoners!

rdumas
Username: rdumas

Post Number: 4216

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 07:10 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bill,

I agree with you about both options still being in play. The majority of EW gurus appear to be following the Prechter type of scenario so I will continue to show the opposite scenario which is more in keeping with Andrew's cycle analysis so that we keep some balance in the views.

I also agree with Andrew......if the abc move down completed yesterday then the rally will continue on it's way. If however the larger corrective pattern is in play then we still have another day or two of down side to go. I've borrowed your chart and put in the two corrective scenarios.

The green labelling shows the case where the corrective move has completed and we are about to move further into the rally phase.

The red labelling shows the scenario where a larger ABC corrective pattern still has to play out. In this case the nature of the corrective pattern would suggest that it is a Flat pattern and hence wave (c) would not carry much further down than the termination level of wave (a). I kind of hope that the second scenario is in play so that I can add to my existing holdings at a better price.

I've given you my view based on what I know now. In another 5 minutes that view might change because of additional information. It's the best I can do - Rudy

rdumas

Post Number: 4218

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 08:09 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ASX200 Futures Contract Suggests 24 Point Rise

If we got the 24 point rise suggested by the ASX200 futures contract it would put the price action in 'no man's land' so I doubt that this will be the case. I would think that we will close the gap and test overhead resistance of the short term descending trendline.

Now similar (but not the same) as the SPX, the XJO may have completed a corrective pattern down yesterday or it may still have a larger corrective pattern to play out. The specific patterns between the two indices are quite different and so is the timing. So whereas if a larger pattern is in play in both indices I would expect the SPX pattern to complete by mid week next week but in the XJO it could stretch out until towards the end of next week (as suggested by Andrew) as it is not as convinced by the Alice in Wonderland exuberance displayed by the Americans. At this stage my target level for this larger pattern (if it occurs) would be around the 4521.8 level based on a 100% extension of the first wave down.

I've given you my view based on what I know now. In another 5 minutes that view might change because of additional information. It's the best I can do - Rudy

rdumas

Post Number: 4219

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:37 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morning price action on XJO

As anticipated the XJO this morning closed the gap above yesterday's close and is now approaching a potential bounce level at the LBB around the 4625 level.

billt

Post Number: 433

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 12:33 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy

I assume the bullish EW count wave c target is c.1157, before the journey north. An extended ABCDE pattern or a direct wave 3 push north are the other options on the bullish side.

The alternative bearish count might produce a wave 3 to the 1135 level (100% extension of wave 1), before dealing with the support at 1131 area. To achieve the more bearish target of 980 would require an impulsive wave pattern with a pivot at the 1080 area. Not your option I know!

SPX 60 min has printed some strong bearish divergence on the RSI, MACD Histogram, MACD and Sto over the recent highs. The VIX Daily movement below the BBs that occurred a few days ago has previously signalled the beginning of a major correction south on SPX. The VIX produced a false signal in September, but the signal has appeared more strongly once again? A quick trip to 980, then a multi month rally to Andrew's new high early next year is still possible...

The next few days will give us a better view on which path we may be on...

rdumas

Post Number: 4220

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 02:38 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bill,

I agree with the various targets mentioned in your post for the different scenarios.

When I look at the chart below I don't see any problems so far with the index in an ascending channel with the 20 and 50 day SMAs trending up and the 150 day SMA slow starting an upward trend. There is huge support around the LBB which would act as a major brake for any significant move down.

To me the chart is a bullish chart at this stage of the game. Now I know that there are both bullish and bearish EW counts but it makes sense to me to stick to a count which is consistent with other TA indications.

billt

Post Number: 435

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 03:57 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Rudy

It just depends which pattern you take....the current pattern looks very, very similar to what we had leading to the April/May Wave A correction...even the BBs, MAs, and most other indicators look precisely the same! We even had abc corrections before the leg north and the 'swiggles' half way up the rally leg...

Back in March/April we had the VIX dropping through the bottom of the BBs, after falling through a bullish falling wedge - exactly the same as now. The $USD was a little above were it is now. (Uncle Ben was printing greenbacks and he STILL is doing it, ...)

We then had a 20% correction south..Wave A.

Back in March 2010 the USA had rising GDP & declining Unemployment, and now we have falling GDP and rising Unemployment, (and another usd$1 trillion on the Debt Ledger....)....AND Goldman Sachs & leading economists have doubled their odds on a Double Dip anytime soon.

Back in March 2010 US Financials were in the ascent now they are in retreat.

The only thing that has gone up since late March is Gold - +usd$200/oz.

A = C ?...but you could also be correct too!

rdumas

Post Number: 4222

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 04:02 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bill,

You could always be right but it just doesn't line up with Andrew's cycle analysis at all and hence I very much doubt it. As you can probably see, I am an avid believer in Andrew's cycle analysis because it hasn't let me down so far.

billt

Post Number: 436

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 04:13 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trendline & squiggles & a/b added:

billt

Post Number: 437

Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 04:19 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of time to get back up to make a new high in 2011, starting with a huge Santa Claus rally...on this count we could be c.1300 by Feb/March 11.

20% down, then 30% up....

rdumas

Post Number: 4223

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 07:28 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S&P500 breaks through descending trend line

The next few days will be interesting because regardless of whether you use the linear or logarithmic price axis scale, the S&P500 has broken through the long term descending trend line and remains in the bull channel. The index next needs to back test that descending trend line to see if it becomes support before we know that we're on our way.

billt

Post Number: 438

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 07:39 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that most of the longer term US charts are over bought suggesting we are still in the topping process.

The US Small Caps & US Financials have not posted new highs this week, so that tells me that we still have a correction to come.

Another POMO night on Wall St coming up, so the Fed will empty their pockets into Wall St once again...The Fed have scheduled POMO's all the way through the US election. If you were cynical you might think the Fed/Dems are just trying to hold this market up...

Counting 'the squiggles' are becoming perhaps less relevant than other TA indicators...

rdumas

Post Number: 4224

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 07:52 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ETF GOLD

Based on the current POG and AUD figures, ETF GOLD should open somewhere in the region of $132.08 which is a bit of a worry for holders of this stock as it will have clearly broken an important trend line.

billt

Post Number: 439

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 07:53 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

billt

Post Number: 443

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 05:03 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SPX has printed out yet another ABCDE topping pattern - but with another Fed' POMO tonight, Polly will do her thing once again...

rdumas

Post Number: 4229

Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 11:58 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possible SPX Retracements

As I expect the SPX to have a retrace next week I propose the following initial targets.

The low at 1131.87 is another obvious support level and if it goes further than the levels mentioned in my weekend market wrap come into play.

paint
Username: paint

Post Number: 73

Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 01:59 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy - thanks again for your Weekend Wrap - another great view
on the market.

Cheers

rdumas

Post Number: 4231

Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 08:25 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Paint. Always nice to get the occasional bit of feedback.

rdumas

Post Number: 4233

Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 11:31 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

POG versus S&P500

The following chart shows us that the POG and S&P500 at times act in a reverse relationship and other times in a direct relationship.

ken
Username: ken

Post Number: 703

Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 01:12 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been reflecting on the possibilities for the XAO independent of international indicies, and have come up with a Fibonacci argument for a return to 6000.

The Fib lines on this chart fit so well with the turning points of the chart that I think there could be something in this.

What we have had overall so far is a rise to an initial 61.2% line, a correction to a double bottom at 38.2%, and currently rising. If we take Rudy's wave equality principle into account, the top of the market will be the 100% mark at 6000. This coincidentally is the same level as the May 08 retrace.

Comments please?

p3t3
Username: p3t3

Post Number: 62

Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 02:09 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rdumas wrote on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 08:25 am:

Always nice to get the occasional bit of feedback

Yes, thanks Rudy

....I'll join paint in expressing appreciation of your efforts. I (and perhaps others) all too often assume that silence is sufficient expression of both appreciation and respect. So this is an attempt at a better balance....between too little and too much.

rdumas

Post Number: 4235

Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:55 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

XJO Morning Move

Well, what a nice move up for the XJO this morning after a slow start. What we have seen though is a 3 wave move up from the latest low. We have almost reached wave equality which if that is where it stops the move is corrective.

For this to have any real meaning for the bulls we need this 3 wave move to develop into a 5 wave move and for this 3rd wave to have a greater range than it currently has. If that happens I will have a smile from ear to ear.

billt

Post Number: 447

Monday, October 25, 2010 - 12:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Rudy

Thanks for the MW..

Interesting how we have these abcde's on many of the charts at the moment, SPX maintains a similar pattern to XJO:

rdumas

Post Number: 4236

Monday, October 25, 2010 - 12:44 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Price Action of the XJO So Far

Well we have met one of the requirements of a positive move in the XJO by exceeding the wave equality target discussed this morning. As Randall has mentioned in one of his posts the 61.8% Fib retrace of the 15 May 2010 decline of 4700.6 has been a strong overhead resistance to a further rally. This morning's price action has so far peaked at 4711.1 which is a good sign.

As shown by the vertical blue line on the chart, we did receive a buy trigger from my W%R signal on Friday. Note also that the UBB is currently located at the 4743.3 which is also promising. I remain long in WBC, BHP and STW and this morning took a small position in VMS which is another Dolphin pick in the tipping competition. It is only a small position because it is a penny dreadful but two other stocks that Dolphin picked made a handsome profit for me on a short term trading basis. Naturally enough I don't follow tips of any kind blindly but when my analysis can't fault the tips I get on them.

rdumas

Post Number: 4237

Monday, October 25, 2010 - 01:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bill,

Yes, it is possible that it may be an abcde pattern but then again it could also be an abc with the start of a new impulse wave.

When we get to the situation where EW gurus continuously have to relabel their wave counts on a day by day basis I turn to the larger time frame picture and the conclusions come to from a variety of different technical methodologies. My money remains where my mouth is. Now I do expect a retrace of some kind at some time but I am not going to hold back until the 5400 level continuing to see a major retrace coming. I'll take whatever rally we can get out of this Alice in Wonderland rally as long as it presents itself.

In the end, we have to ask ourselves.......how strong is this trend? Whilst ever the trend is up, I will continue to make money out of the market. Until it starts to show real weakness rather than the threat of weakness due to overstretched indicators or any number of fundamental reasons I will stay long in the market. In the end, I go by the principle that 'price is king'. One can come up with all the reasons for why a market should or should not fall.....in the end the only thing that counts is what the market actually does.

What we have seen in today's price action is that we have had a rally that has far exceeded the wave equality target of a typical corrective move and have gone through the previous 61.8% retrace level of the 15 May plunge that has acted as a strong overhead resistance in the recent past. I know one thing for sure.....I would much rather be long than short at this stage.

ehmu
Username: ehmu

Post Number: 75

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 03:23 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy:

Thanks for the weekend edition.

I'm writing because I can't figure out how you decide on the points to connect on the W% charts, and your definition of where the sell/buy signals occur.

I attached a copy of the SPY chart that could be used as an example.

_____ n a m a s t e

rdumas

Post Number: 4240

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 07:30 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hal,

If it's okay with you I will use another chart of the SPX where I have enlarged the panel for the W%R indicator so that where I draw my trend lines becomes more obvious.

First of all, I tend to use the W%R14 as my indicator. I note that you have W%R5 and W%R13. As I have not tested this technique with those I don't know if they work as well.

In the chart below you will see that I have pointed to the tops and bottoms that I have used for my signals.

My Rules for Determining Buy Triggers

I have shown these in blue.

I use any 2 tops that will intersect a rising W%R signal somewhere near the -80% level. Note that I say any 2 tops. They don't have to be consecutive or the nearest 2 tops. The emphasis is on the word any.

The next emphasis is on the phrase that will intersect a rising W%R signal somewhere near the -80% level.

I have given two examples of that process in the chart.

My Rules for Determining Sell Triggers

I have shown these in red.

I use any 2 bottoms that will intersect a falling W%R signal somewhere near the -20% level.

I have given two examples of that process in the chart.

I hope that explanation is clear enough for you......if not, keep probing me.

PS: You can use a similar technique at levels other than -20% and -80% but these may often (but not always) give you lower order buy and sell signals.

PPS: Note that the last signal shown on the chart is a sell signal so that there is every likelihood that the SPX will start a decline tomorrow.

rdumas

Post Number: 4242

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 09:28 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Folks,

My own cycle analysis suggested that we would perhaps get an interim peak to this rally on Tuesday 2 November.

During this market cycle I have definitely been using much shorter term trading practices than I like. Basically the modus operandi has been to lock in consistent profits and take no or very small losses. The problem that I experience when using this type of trading practice is that I will often move out of the market too early and hence miss out on additional profits.

That is the downside of using a safety first approach but the upside is that I don't take any significant losses.

Keeping in mind that I have found that the most difficult component of technical analysis is the getting the timing aspect spot on and at the same time getting such a clear signal on the SPX last night of a potential retracement, I have decided to use today to exit my longs and hopefully re-enter a few percentage points lower some time next week.

ehmu

Post Number: 76

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 10:11 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy:

Thank you for your explanation. I was seeing a bunch of false signals using your technique, as depicted in my attached chart.

What I had been using previously is a -50crossing of 13 W% confirmed by a price cross of the 34ema. This technique is more conservative, but produces fewer false signals.

ps how'd you get those arrows on your chart?

pps I use the 13 because it is a fib number, but comparison to your chart 14 doesn't seem to make much difference in this volatile market.

ppps on my chart the breakdown won't likely occur until the W% tl is broken somewhere nearer -30 by your technique and my ham hands.

however, I'm not ruling out the Ben factor

_____ n a m a s t e

rdumas

Post Number: 4243

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 10:54 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hal,

Even when using the trigger signals on your chart they have picked turning points as you can see from your chart below. the problem is however that because the point of intersection of the trend line and W%R indicator was not at the -20% level the turning points ended up be fairly trivial on many occasions. That is why my stipulation that you need to be as close to the -20% line as possible for sell triggers and -80% line for buy triggers.

Remember to try to find the tops and bottoms that will give you those -20% and -80% trigger points regardless of where the tops and bottoms are on your chart to give you that result.

Re your question on my arrows. I do all of my chart editing using Powerpoint. Once my editing is complete I do a copy and paste into Paint and from there save it as a jpg file. I think this methodology gives a very professional end product and there is no limit to the type of edits that you can do. Any resizing of the jpg file to get it to fit into the IC thread requirements is done using the Paint 'resize' facility. In older versions of Paint the 'resize' facility is called 'Stretch/Skew'. After a lot of practice it's easy to get the sizing right.

ehmu

Post Number: 77

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 11:12 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy:

You must have a comfortable computer, and sleep on it lol.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have to admit, I yield, I don't see it, I give up, I surrender, I don't have your vision for W%, or maybe I just can't do U-turns as quickly as a 30 year old. I'll get some new Adidas, that'll help.

As to your work ethic on the graphic presentations, very nice work.

_____ n a m a s t e

rdumas

Post Number: 4244

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 11:16 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hal,

I'm sure my wife thinks the same (ie, me sleeping on the computer).

I'm not sure where the difficulty is Hal but perhaps as I give more examples in future posts you'll have a Gestalt moment.

rdumas

Post Number: 4245

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 11:41 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hal,

Here is another example but this time on the XJO. Note that I have drawn two possible trend lines but the one closest to the -20% level has intersected the falling W%R line. That is the one that I would use as my signal. I could have drawn heaps of different trend lines but none would have intersected the falling W%R line closer to the -20% level. The signal line that I have settled on is a legal signal under my rules.

You will note that if I had drawn vertical lines every where that the trend line hit a falling W%R line, it would have indicated a sell signal on the price action but because the point of intersection was not close to the -20% level I would have had some doubts about the level of decline that may have resulted.

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1097

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 03:03 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy,

Suddenly the EWW thread has become a "Williams%R" thread... well one could not blame me for thinking that...ha! ha!

Interesting 'work' you are doing on the 'use of the W%R14'; I'm personally not too sure yet if your 'method' is not too subjective(i.e. after the fact) and therefore a bit of a 'your guess is as good as mine' for which of the recent past Williams%R points will actually be the correct ones for the future signals?

However, I'm 'opened minded'(as I believe you know) and to contribute to your investigation and to stimulate others to 'test' the validity of this as as useful tool interpretation here is my chart of the XJO over the past 10 months that shows how your method did pick up either the day of the swing-turns or more usually the day after. The 'white' trendlines on the Williams%R are my attempts to choose the relevant trend projection lines for the next "BUY" signal, i.e. if we do get confirmation of a sell signal today(I suspect tomorrow) as you are suggesting. Mind you the price action, and hence the movement in the Williams%R, over the last 6 weeks is going to really test this method as we have a 'mindfield' of peaks above -80% and troughs below -50% to try to determine valid trendlines from.

The 'yellow' trendline I have drawn on the Williams is the trendline I'm going to use to determine an end to this congestion we are in OR support for any fall that may occur!

Cheers
Dolphin

rdumas

Post Number: 4246

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 03:19 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Dolphin,

I can well understand why you would think that it has become a W%R thread. My reasoning is that I attempt to use as many tools as possible to hone in on the most obvious wave count and this method could be another tool that will help me discover where the possible turns (up and down).

I accept that it may appear to be an 'after the fact' method but if it is then it is being applied at some subconscious level that I'm not aware of.

Basically when looking for a potential buy signal I wait for either a rising W%R coming from below the -80% level and attempt to find some tops that give me a trend line that will intersect the rising W%R at around the -80% level. On the majority of occasions there are no trend lines that meet that criteria and as at those times the trend continues. Maybe I'm easily impressed but to me it's pretty amazing.

The same goes for finding sell signals but in that case I use the -20% level and trend lines off bottoms. Again on many occasions there is no trigger signal given. I believe that it is a pretty mechanical system that does give great results in terms of picking both tops and bottoms which can be both significant and insignificant. Those that give a signal at my preferred levels appear to give pretty significant levels so I really believe that it not an 'after the fact' method. Anyway as with all of these things the proof is in the eating. I'm calling for the SPX to head south tonight (as is your white signal trigger) on the basis of the W%R sell trigger signal so let's see what happens.

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1098

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 03:57 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy,

Just to clarify may be a mis-interpretation in your sentence below...

"I'm calling for the SPX to head south tonight (as is your white signal trigger) on the basis of the W%R sell trigger signal so let's see what happens".

Firstly, using your most recent 'sell' trendline signals we are in sync that the SPX tonight may head south and that will confirm the Williams%R 'set-up' sell that you are showing also on the XJO. However, my 'white' lines on the Williams on my chart have nothing to do with a 'sell' signal but are my attempts to locate future potential extension trendlines that may be used for your next buy signal characteristics(rising W%R14 coming from at/near -80% and breaking a downtrendline 'decision' line) I.E. ONCE we have had our SELL signals confirmed!

Cheers
Dolphin

}

rdumas

Post Number: 4247

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 04:03 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dolphin,

Sorry about that. I was being dyslexic. I meant your purple signal line not the white one.

Cheers

billt

Post Number: 448

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 05:00 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Guys

Thanks for the the discussion on those W%R charts - that was very useful...

I tend to feel the SPX Topped out last night @ 1196.

Since prices broke the trendline on 19 October I have been watching a set of Indicators to assess the top. Most have singled the top with a few lagging ones still to go.

The final ABCDE pattern last night was enough for me:

Indicators (Bearish)

1. SPX Trendline Broke 19 October
2. SPX rejected off 200 SMA @ 1195
3. SPX MACD bear cross, MACD histogram below zero, and RSI negative divergence
4. Fib - pierced the 78% price level 1181 after dancing along the line and prices are now settling back
5. Candlesticks Daily 19 October Belt Hold not confirmed; close below 1159.71 required, but doji/shooting stars/gravestones all lined up
6. Spooky levels just shy of 1204, Martians will be reasonably content!
7. $SPXA50R Bearish Cross
8. $CPCE Equity Put Call; c40% + below BBs = 14 Oct add trading c.7 days for top = 24 Oct
9. VIX: Falling Bullish Wedge; BBs 11/12 Oct print outside + max.9 sessions for top = 25 Oct; bullish macd on daily
10. $NYAD Advance Decline w/EMA(19) & (39) 19 Oct bearish cross
11. $NYSI Summation Index Weekly w/EMA(5) - Bearish Cross
12. $NYMO McClennan Oscillator 19 Oct moved below zero
13. $USD bounced off trend line
14. JJC Copper MACD bear cross, MACD histogram below zero, and RSI negative divergence
15. DBC Commodities Index MACD bear cross, MACD histogram below zero, and RSI negative divergence
16. $DJUSFN US Financials Triple Top x 2
17. RUT US Small Caps Triple Top

Indicators (Bullish)

1. $BPSPX Bullish Percentage
2. $SPX Daily w/EMA(3) & (10) lagging

A 38% retrace to 1137 might be a suitable target , or a test of the 1131 support zone for wave 4 - (1) - 3 destination.

Polly loves it at 1080.

The bearish ABC count will have us below the 1010 level...

Bill

skyhawk
Username: skyhawk

Post Number: 35

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 05:36 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

I have not focused very much on Elliott Wave Analysis in the last 17 months and have put more effort into cycles. I just wanted to post my current Elliott wave thinking for the All Ordinaries.

Firstly this chart does look quite confusing at first glance if you are not familar wit EW. I apologize for this as I have simply continued on with a wave count that I started over one year ago. I don't use conventional EW characters, as I find it easier to see the coloured annotations instead.
The important wave labels to recognize are the red ones. Once you build this wave structure up from smaller subdivisions, we are in effect just looking at a simple ABC pattern from the March 2009 low...
I believe this is merely the first of a number of ABC patterns that will be traced out in what will be a sideways market for the next 4-5 years.
If we look at red wave B you will see we have a classic contracting triangle pattern (albeit a little skewed). This pattern clearly breaks down into 3 wave subdivisions, so there is no mistaking here. A contracting triangle pattern is the penultimate pattern to the last move up in a sequence of a certain degree. We can see wave brown XX was also a contracting triangle, but of smaller degree. That was the penultimate pattern to green wave a and then the market retraced in green wave b

The measured move target from the terminus of brown wave e is 5376pts. This is quite close to the 0.618 fibonacci retrace of the whole bear market at 5425pts. At present it appears we have just complete brown wave 1 of 5 in the thrust out of the triangle.

I should mention here that the measured move target of 5376pts is not a dead certainty. The minimum requirement for the thrust away from the triangle terminus is simple a new high above the 15/04/10 above 5048. So the most important thing we need to keep an eye on is the wave structure or count from the brown wave e terminus of the triangle.

Cheers
application/vnd.ms-excel
xao_ew_251010.xls (115.2 k)

billt

Post Number: 449

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 05:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Rudy

My abc corrective move gives us a target at c.980 @12 December, then the multi month rally beginning with Santa...

Your preferred count (blue label) move should turn north c.1136 I assume Rudy...

rdumas

Post Number: 4248

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 05:48 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dolphin,

I think that you are right to emphasise the point that we need that sell signal confirmed. Currently the sell signal is giving us an early warning by touching the falling W%R line but it has not yet cut the falling W%R line. There is of course the possibility that the W%R line bounces off that trend line which would nullify the signal.

skyhawk

Post Number: 36

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 05:48 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Bill,
Just getting back to traditional chart patterns for a tick, the inverted H&S pattern in the SP500 pattern at present if it works out suggests a move up to 1248pts
application/vnd.ms-excel
spx_inverted h&s target.xls (81.4 k)

rdumas

Post Number: 4249

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 05:52 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Andrew,

Your wave count for the XAO is what I feel very comfortable with at the moment. It lines up with all of the analysis that I've done so far.

rdumas

Post Number: 4250

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 06:12 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bill,

Yep, there is no doubting that the final pattern for the SPX is an expanding tringle pattern with the abcde format.

One important comment to make is that the current rally wave, even though it has a larger range than the first wave it may not necessarily be the third wave at the same level of the impulse wave. It could in fact be the first sub wave of the third wave. That in fact is how I am labelling it.

The reason for doing so is the element of time. As you know I am not expecting the March 2009 rally to end until February 2011 at the earliest. It could even stretch out to May. If we were completing the third wave at this point in time it is likely that we would complete the 5 wave impulse wave by Christmas as waves 1 and 2 were completed in around 2 months.

Now it is a possibility that if we are actually completing the 3rd wave at the same level as the previous 2 waves then the 4th wave could become a highly complex wave. This is feasible because the second wave had a 'sharp' pattern. Under the Alternation guidelines, we would therefore have a reasonably high probability that the 4th wave would be a 'flat' pattern. A complex 4th wave could conceivably chew up a lot of time.

We will have to monitor things carefully to see how things pan out.

billt

Post Number: 450

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 06:34 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Andrew

That bullish H&S might play out, but the one that doesn't help is that there is no bullish H&S on the Financials to help SPX higher...it has a multiple Double/Triple Top already in.

17 out of my 19 indicators suggest a top, but with the Fed pushing big $$$ in daily to the market, normal indicator methods are becoming difficult to believe!

This rally was being pushed up by Tec' but Mr Apple has run out of juice too! US Small Caps have topped, and Commodities look toppy too...I'm not sure who is left to help Polly higher right now?

This is a chart which gives my more bearish abc count a bit of hope for a quick dip south...the huge bearish H&S on the Financials - a huge diamond pattern. If this plays out now, perhaps we will see a larger correction by mid December before the rally to the 2011 high?

billt

Post Number: 451

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 06:46 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rudy

....we don't want a 'daggy' wave 4 mate - I don't think I could take it! :-(

If Andrew can stretch to May 2011 for that high....well let me take you down for a look at sub 1000, via an abc. Look at the those rotten US Banks (DSFN) they deserve a good beating!

billt

Post Number: 452

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 07:01 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the US Financial H&S of the complex class, all set for a big dip?

Massive Diamond Pattern to help out too...

billt

Post Number: 453

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 07:03 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops ...dont know my right from my left, but you get the point!

billt

Post Number: 454

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 07:32 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The month long move sideways in the Aussie Charts (circled in pink) leads me to think that this was a corrective move rather than an impulsive wave iii or part of a wave iii.

This looks to me a plausible count considering the lack of impulsive action for many, many weeks:

skyhawk

Post Number: 37

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 07:51 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Rudy,

as you know I have forecasted two time possibilities for the termination of this rally based on my own Cycles Analysis and Delta Fixed Time Cycles used in combination. The first being in Feb/March 2011 and the second June 2011. This forecast was in place around this time last year when it was evident that the 4 year cycle had bottomed. The Feb-June timeframe for a high was SUGGESTED before the rally had even started last year. However I could only guess at the time how far up the market would move and what sort of pattern it would trace out.
I have attached some EW charts of the forecast I made in March 2009 on ASF using a blend of EW and Cycles analysis... I have not changed any annotations of the forecast made at the time, only the new data has been overlayed on the charts. Things have played out quite well till now, although I expect the market will rise higher that what I initially thought it would back then..

I think the Feb/March timeframe is the highest probability ATM but that will largely depend on the pattern and cycles in play as we approach the forecast time.

I put the XAO EW chart up because I have not looked at EW in depth for a long time due to time constraints and thought the pattern in play at present is interesting in that it lines up with time and price very well.

Bill, H&S patterns are pretty hit or miss. I don't think you can rely on them in isolation. The SPX H&S pattern has a lot of other methodologies backing it up at present, but offcourse there are no certainties..

Cheers

application/vnd.ms-excel
ew analysis_march2009_forecast.xls (401.9 k)

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through March 16, 2011billt50 16-Mar-11  06:42 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through March 04, 2011billt50 04-Mar-11  08:01 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through February 24, 2011billt50 24-Feb-11  02:21 pm
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through February 12, 2011ehmu50 12-Feb-11  02:46 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through January 03, 2011rdumas50 03-Jan-11  02:05 pm
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through December 17, 2010ehmu50 17-Dec-10  10:44 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through December 08, 2010rdumas50 08-Dec-10  06:45 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through December 02, 2010skyhawk50 02-Dec-10  09:49 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through November 29, 2010ehmu50 29-Nov-10  03:36 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through November 24, 2010rdumas50 24-Nov-10  07:36 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through November 15, 2010eagle50 15-Nov-10  06:57 pm
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through November 09, 2010rdumas50 09-Nov-10  10:47 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through October 31, 2010billt50 31-Oct-10  11:58 am
Elliott Wave Watching Archive through October 21, 2010billt50 21-Oct-10  05:41 am

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»