You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade Trends with Bollonger Bands and Twiggs Money Flow

Dividend Reinvestment Plans (DRP)

Chart Forum » Ann's Corner » Dividend Reinvestment Plans (DRP)

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
kesil
Username: kesil

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 04:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dividend Reinvestment Plans. Now that sounds really boring! No cut and thrust of the day trader's thrill of in and out, wam, bam, thank you ma'am!

No instant fortune, just a long slow boring road to wealth.

If you have ever seen a table of compounding interest you will have seen something really magic.

Normally compounding interest is refered to in cash terms from a high interest bearing bank account doing its thing over the years.

My problem with long term cash is that eventually inflation, which is inevitable over time, will turn the compounding magic into a bit of a dud trick.

Here is where dividend reinvestment plans come into their own. You have the magic of compounding interest but with the added benefit of inflation (long term rising share price) taking care of your investment along the way.

A DRP is a plan offered by a few companies, LICs and ETFs. This is where instead of taking the companies' dividend in cash you leave it with the company and they issue you with the dividend value in new shares which are brokerage free.

Slowly over the years you can build up a substantial holding in a company without all the associated costs beyond the initial investment. Added to that a few companies will offer an SPP, this is an offer to purchase more shares in their company without it incurring brokerage.

This arrangement is not entirely set and forget as from time to time companies will opt out of the DRP arrangement. This is where a decision to think about selling and moving on may come in to play for an investor.

Of course if you buy into a company simply because it has a DRP this does not guarantee the company will be successful and make you money. Before you buy into any stock long term make sure you are happy it is a good business and going to be around for the long haul.

I have a watch list of all the companies, LICs and ETFs that offer a DRP so I will from time to time put a few charts up here with some comments.

The first chart up is Slater & Gordon SGH. http://au.investsmart.com.au/shares/asx/Slater-and-Gordon-SGH.asp

SGH pennant

AKA Ann

“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 42

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 07:33 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day all, here is another look at SGH seven months later. It clearly did not fail the pennant on the previous monthly chart and now appears to be forming another pennant on the weekly chart. Again I am viewing in EOD line in order to cut out the noise from the candlesticks . I have pictured the weekly chart this time as the monthly chart is telling me nothing.

Happy New Year folks, and good trading to you all!

Cheers Ann

SGH Dec 14

AKA Ann

“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
Winston S. Churchill

shadetreetrader
Username: shadetreetrader

Post Number: 64

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 08:40 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year to you too Ann, that SGH was a great pick, I only recently bought into it, but if you've held it for a while you've had a brilliant return on your investment.
It's been on a 3 year linear regression line which is on an upwards trajectory of 120%pa!
I'm so glad to see someone else posting a new thread! I too like to keep my charts simple, on the 'less is more' principle,
Roughly what sort of percentage of stocks have DRP plans available?
Regards
STT

Nothing I say should be taken as a stock recommendation or advice.

kesil

Post Number: 43

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 08:51 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day all, the Shanghai Composite Index is starting to take off. It is a closed market for all except the locals. However there is a way to ride its wave. Back in 2006 a few selected investment companies were allowed to buy into the market for a short period of time. One of those companies selected was AMP. AMP floated a fund in December 2006, AGF and it closely mirrors the Shanghai Composite Index(code: ssec_ix )

Here is the weekly chart of AGF. It appears to be forming a flag or pennant on a pole, still early days with its formation. There may be some resistance around the $1.25/1.30 level. It also has a pretty good rounded bottom which is an encouraging look.

On a final note, it pays a dividend which currently offers a DRP.

Cheers Ann

(Disclaimer: Holding, currently no stops in place.)

AKA Ann

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."
Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 44

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 09:23 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day STT, I have never gone to the effort to work out a percentage of stocks with a DRP, however here is a link to a site which will give you a list of companies currently offering a DRP option.

http://www.afrsmartinvestor.com.au/share-tables/;jsessionid=D7FCF0854BED691A917FCB15479A855C

It is a very arduous task to make a watchlist of them on IC and it needs to be periodically updated as companies opt out and opt in. I choose to do it annually as it takes a fair bit of time checking through the lists. However that said, it is a good way to create a nice little bunch of potential winners if you chart carefully.

I have created a watchlist of a smaller sub group of DRP companies with good charts and who pay some very attractive dividends from which I select my buys. Hope that helps.

Cheers Ann

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 65

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 10:22 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ann,

That's 225 stocks, if they're all in the All Ords 500 that's 45% have a DRP, or roughly 10% if you use the entire market.

I've used these instructions.. http://www.incrediblecharts.com/help/watchlist_excel.php

to make a watchlist from an XLS file of all the stocks in the ASX share trading game when they didn't use an Index.
It's certainly a lot quicker than entering each code individually into a watchlist.
Maybe worth a try?

Nothing I say should be taken as a stock recommendation or advice.

kesil

Post Number: 46

Thursday, January 01, 2015 - 10:35 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks STT, that looks a darn sight easier than the way I did it. I will give it a go next time I need to do an update!

Cheers Ann

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

rdumas
Username: rdumas

Post Number: 5532

Sunday, January 04, 2015 - 09:11 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann and STT,

I love the threads that you folks have started and the fresh approach that you have provided. Please keep up the good work.

I am not a financial advisor and the views expressed in my postings do not constitute financial advice. Please do your own research.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 96

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 07:51 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SGH 3 year weekly log chart
Made a new ATH last week and it's still underneath a 70%pa 3 year linear regression line!

SGH 010215
Disc: I hold SGH

My posts should not be taken as stock recommendations or advice.

rdumas

Post Number: 5549

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 08:38 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kesil and STT,

I added SGH to my long term holdings thanks to Kesil some time ago and have enjoyed the ride. Thanks for that. Do you guys have any similar stocks that you could share?

I am not a financial advisor and the views expressed in my postings do not constitute financial advice. Please do your own research.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 97

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:05 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy,
There might be something in my longish term holdings: ALL, EGP, FPH, RHC, SGH, SKI, SPK, TPM, & VOC.
Short term GOLD & I'm looking to enter EPW, RRL & NST at some stage.
Other long term possibles I'm watching are APN, CAJ, CSR, GXL, MTU, MFG, SHV, SRX, TNE, TFC & TRG.
I usually only take on one or at the most two positions per week & see how they go before taking on more risk.
What stocks are you considering?

rdumas

Post Number: 5550

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 10:19 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks STT,

I must admit that I am probably more run of the mill in that I'm working on the theme that dividend stocks and a falling AUD are the themes for this year.

I suspect that there will be weakness in the next week or two but once that's out of the way then my money is in WBC, NAB, CBA, TLS, SGH, SUN, IVV, USD, MTU and SPK.

I did open up a position in BEAR last week but that will only be for a short term trade.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 98

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 11:10 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rudy, I now usually only buy dividend stocks for the long term portfolio, FPH has been the best with 89% growth & divis since July '13
I had a look at the Financials Sector & have now added LLC to the possibles list.
What USD position/chart are you looking at? I'd like to have a gander thanks.

(Message edited by shadetreetrader on February 01, 2015)

rdumas

Post Number: 5551

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:23 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi STT,

The USD stock that I use is USD.AX which basically follows the USD with respect to the AUD. Below is a weekly chart showing the last 30 months price action. The blue moving average is the 20 week SMA.

Looks like your FPH has got a lot more to give. Well done.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 99

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:33 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks but FPH & the market gets the credit, I only chose it because I like F&P white goods, I didn't know how it would go back then, but it's managed to avoid my exit so far!

I think the RBA meets on Tuesday, expectations seem to be for a 0.25 cut in the cash rate, what do you think that will do to the USD/AUD?

rdumas

Post Number: 5552

Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 09:00 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like their white goods too.

I would think that the RBA lowering rates would elevate the USD.AX but that would depend on whether the market already has the rate decrease built into the market. It has been widely anticipated for a while now.

I know that Stevens wants the AUD to head towards the 75 cent level as a minimum so all things being equal he would do things to achieve that end.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 112

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 04:47 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SGH put out a good announcement today, all the important abbreviations up about 40% http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/announcements.do?by=asxCode&asxCode=sgh&timeframe=D&period=W
The share price went up 8.6%
1 year weekly chart

SGH 100215
I hold SGH

(Message edited by shadetreetrader on February 10, 2015)

rdumas

Post Number: 5562

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:36 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi STT,

Thanks to you and Kesil, I also hold SGH. Much appreciated.

kesil

Post Number: 51

Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:00 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AMP

Here is another stock which I think may hold a lot of upside. Again it currently offers a DRP and pays a pretty reasonable dividend.

It looks as though it may face a retrace once it hits the long term trending resistance line coming from 2001.

I expect it to fall back to around the $6 level if there is a retrace.

It appears to be forming the rounding base of a possible cup and handle pattern. If this is the case then it has the potential of a lot of upside, more than I am able to assess from what is present on the chart....let's just say, bloody good money in the very long term.

Disc: Waiting for a buying entry.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 52

Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:46 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, let's see what AGF has been doing since I put it up on New Years Day this year.

This chart is a daily and I am using the EOD line just to make it a simple picture.

It has been rising quite well since the beginning of the year and on the daily chart it is forming an ascending triangle which should potentially see some more upside, once it has retraced back to the support line of the ascending triangle.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 57

Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 06:45 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very bearish Island pattern formation has appeared on the AMP chart and may offer a buying opportunity around the $5.95 to $6 level.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

rdumas

Post Number: 5573

Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:11 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann,

Looking at the 10 year weekly chart for AMP I wonder whether it will even fall that far down.

It bounced off that 38.2% Fib level and if it holds there we may get an advance sooner than expected. The weekly TMF is still looking quite strong.

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 2115

Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann(if I may) ... Rudy's 38.2% "wonder" may just be close to the mark to finding the right AMP tune BUT so could your level be!

For me, and Rudy knows only too well, I like to find the right tuning fork in which to play any INSTRUMENT's sweet tune and I find none better than Andrew's Pitchforks. I liken them to a HARP, once comfortable(and in the right position) its a matter of simply plucking the right strings in sequence to be in tune.

Take AMP for example, you'll note Rudy's 38.2% Fibo level happens to be and important "intersect" of the most important lines(tynes actually) on any FORK ... The Median Tyne(MT's). These strings(lines)above all strings are like 'magnets' and often act as 'pivot_points'.

Now I tell no "forkin'" lies only "fork and" FIBS(with a sprinkling of Gann as garnish). Note also how this level of which Rudy and I have mentioned also coincides with some magic FIB and Gann range extension numbers ... hmmm! Of course, this could all mean "diddly_squat" and may very well likely be just that BUT at least I have a forkin' "Road Map" going forward that appears to be playing the right tune for possible exits and entries. Then its just a question of managing risk!

All this may be just too much for some(Baysie...hahaha!) but I told you I tell no forkin' lies and it is quite SIMPLE. So for you(et all) here are my AMP "Road map" Charts.

L/T Daily A.P. Chart...

"Close_Up" Daily A.P.Chart...

Cheers
Dolphin

rdumas

Post Number: 5578

Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:35 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann,

Whilst Dolphin appeared to be writing his post in jest, his APFs convinced me even that the 38.2% Fib level is a strong support level. If it slipped below that it would be a bit of a concern.

On that basis I've taken the plunge and bought myself some AMP this morning. Obviously that long term overhead resistance level that you pointed out in an earlier post needs to be monitored carefully. If we can get through that then we're on our way I suspect.

Below is a 9 year weekly chart.

kesil

Post Number: 59

Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:33 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys

Sure did survive that Island top. Now it has formed into a flag on a flagpole. Geez this is a bullish stock with big brass ones I reckon!

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

rdumas

Post Number: 5589

Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:14 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann,

As mentioned in my previous post, I did buy into AMP on the 5th. The buy price including brokerage is shown on the 6 month daily chart below. When we consider that the market has been really weak, AMP has performed quite well. It's up 1.24% from where I bought in.

We can see that the BBs are starting to crimp and the TMF is still showing good buying pressure.

The yellow moving average is the 200 day SMA. Once we break through that longer term declining red trend line on the earlier post we may see this baby fly.

kesil

Post Number: 60

Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 09:27 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rudy, well it didn't help that four brokers slapped a hold recommendation onto it on the 12th of March with the full impact being felt on Friday the 13th. That may crimp its style a bit.

Pity, it was going to be a lovely flag formation. Let's see what happens!

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

rdumas

Post Number: 5595

Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 01:36 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann,

With the price action consolidating at current levels and the TMF trending upwards, I feel very comfortable with the way that AMP is behaving. I don't know why investors/traders ever pay any attention to broker recommendations. I think that they are called brokers because that is what they do to people's investment capital

rdumas

Post Number: 5597

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 10:04 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann and STT,

Did you notice that SGH dropped 10.5% today and bounced off the LBB. It is now only a bit over 5% down. No announcements that I can see. I wonder if there was a fat finger incident. Have you heard anything??

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 160

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 05:41 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SGH went exdiv on the 10th March, 0.035 40% franked payable 23/04/15 so I would expect some selling post the ex date.
There wasn't much volume in the selling, my exit is a weekly close < the last swing low, so no worries.
It looks like a shakeout for the nervous nellies with stops under the 7.09 daily low.

SGH 170315
I hold SGH

(Message edited by shadetreetrader on March 17, 2015)

rdumas

Post Number: 5601

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 07:56 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi STT,

Cat Lady on the Our Daily Bread thread provided the reason for the drop yesterday. I wasn't particularly concerned as I have have a lot of faith in the SGH management.

kesil

Post Number: 61

Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 07:50 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Rudy, a lot of upside yet for this company no doubt.

There is serous money to be made from the results of kiddy fiddling.

I don't actually have a taste for this kind of company, even though I put it up. It was simply the chart which excited me.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

rdumas

Post Number: 5606

Friday, March 20, 2015 - 01:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann,

Don't know if you are still following AMP. You may recall that I bought into it not long ago. So far it's up 4.5% and the 15 year weekly chart below is looking promising for a potential breakout of that long term bearish overhead trend line. The weekly TMF still looks positive to me.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 221

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 10:18 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SGH
Closed below my exit on Friday, sold this morning, may look to re-enter if the weekly & monthly down-trends turn around.

kesil

Post Number: 62

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:36 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi STT, hopefully it will turn around for SGH. I see there are three brokers who have given it a strong buy recommendation on the 4/6/15.

Hi Rudy, so sorry for the very slow response, dramas at home which have taken me away from things. Yes I just couldn't bloody wait and I bought in just as it broke above the flag line I drew, just in time for it to be hit with that hold recommendation. Not concerned, it is a good stock with plenty of upside and pays an OK dividend. Happy to hold while it wallows!

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 63

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:16 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's look at another stock in the DRP stable TGA.

Thorn Group http://www.thorn.com.au/irm/content/radio-rentals-rentlo.aspx?RID=305&RedirectCount=1

It is traveling quite strongly in a rising channel as seen on the monthly chart. Currently there are two brokers who have it on a Hold recommendation as at 4/6/15. The Hold recommendation plus it going ex dividend on 30/6/15 may weaken it enough to see it fall closer to $2.50 to $2.60 down to its trending support line.

It pays a fairly good dividend of $4.17 at the current price of $2.82 and is 100%f with a P/E of 13.86.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

rdumas

Post Number: 5733

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:18 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann,

TGA may not even get down to the $2.50 - $2.60 level. Looks like $2.70 may act as support.

kesil

Post Number: 66

Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:20 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't argue with you Rudy, it is a really strong performer, it just depends on how it travels up until the ex date. I think there are a lot of sharks in the water who want to take a bite of this one, they may bid it down if there is weakness in the overall markets. Interesting to watch. I plan to get in at some stage or other.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 70

Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:37 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amp is reacting exactly as I had expected it to on the 15 year weekly EOD chart I drew a while back showing a potential cup and handle formation here:- https://forum.incrediblecharts.com/userscripts/forums/show.plx?tpc=4339663&post=179410

I won't redraw the cup and handle pattern but the red overhead trending resistance is still in place and you will see on this current chart what a real barrier this line has created.

On the long term view (which is how I invest in stocks) I can see it is doing an excellent job of consolidating itself in creating a very strong 'bowl' for the cup as it moves toward the imaginary rounding line of the 'bowl'.

This chart is still looking very good to me for the long term.

(Disc. holding)

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 71

Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:53 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SGH! What a shocking thing to happen to a solid stock.

As I don't hold this stock, nor ever intended to buy it, a lot of the drama passed me by. When I eventually caught up with the chart I was gobsmacked.

A quick google explained it all....the good folk at SGH decided to go into the merger and acquisition business instead of sticking to what they know. I guess they had no idea how to google. Had they simply pumped in the word Quindell they may have seen a real reason not to put their investors hard earned into such a questionable investment.

Back in April 2014, nearly a year before they acquired Quindell, Daniel Yu a short seller from Gotham City Research put up a very damning report about Quindell and at the time drove the price way down. http://gothamcityresearch.com/2014/04/22/quindell-plc-a-country-club-built-on-quicksand/

SGH either ignored this or didn't know about it. Which ever it was, those in the know cut and ran pushing the steadfast shareholders right over a massive cliff.

No doubt it will recover but it should never have happened like this, very poor business skills.

....and a chart for what it is worth

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 73

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:56 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TGA, surfing the rising channel. May be some further opportunities to buy into TGA over the next few weeks at a discounted price if the markets stay volatile.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 360

Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 08:08 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SGH fell over 8% today according to Alan Kohler on the news this evening. I sold this back on May 11 at $6.10 as posted above, the sp is now less than $3.00
This is not worth buying IMHO until the Quarterly, Monthly & weekly trends start rising.

(Message edited by shadetreetrader on September 03, 2015)

kesil

Post Number: 74

Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:01 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day ST,

Not a good looking stock, it looks more like a pump and dump sooner than a legitimate business. Good you got out when you did but for those who buy in for a long term investment, it is a very disappointing outcome.

Interesting on the 22 October it got a buy recommendation from three brokers, clearly didn't seem to help the price at all.

I would be surprised if the stock price rises to any great extent unless there is a change in the management and board.

Looking at the chart on a monthly view the price is getting very close to an historic support resistance line of $2.40
If this slides below $2.40 it will be interesting to see if some of the big investors don't start calling for blood!

sgh oct 15

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 76

Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW

Adding a new share to the list of companies who offer a DRP scheme and have interesting charts.

WOW price has been falling quite dramatically for some time. On the five year monthly chart it has fallen to a long term double bottom. It will be interesting to see if it bounces back up as one would expect to happen.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 77

Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 03:34 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TGA had a decent fall out of its rising channel looking at the monthly chart. It fell to a support/resistance line of around $2 last month, this month saw it rebound off the $2 level. However I see this fall as having weakened the stock and the rising channel support line may now behave like a rising resistance line.

Another part formed shape I am seeing on the chart is the formation of a head and shoulders. The left shoulder and head have fully formed, now the right shoulder may form as it rises back to the resistance of the old channel line. In order not to complicate the chart too much I won't draw it until next chart if it is still looking like a H&S formation.

I had previously contemplated buying into this stock however I am not too happy with what I am seeing. I think there are better opportunities elsewhere.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 429

Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 10:20 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ann,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of the country & mostly offline.

re SGH
I don't agree that long term investors would be calling for blood, they might be buying more at these price levels!
Traders might be calling for blood if they had held on hoping for a reversal, but they should be blaming themselves.
Cheers
Dave

kesil

Post Number: 79

Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day Dave, I do hope the investors weren't buying more, it has turned into a classic falling knife. This stock makes me sick just to look at now. It is selling cheaper than the float price. Maybe tempting now for a few to buy, perhaps SGH may be vulnerable for a takeover. It looks like a dreadfully weak stock as it stands.

...and a chart for what it is worth.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 80

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:11 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SYI - SPDR MSCI Australia Select High Dividend Yield Fund

For anyone wishing to invest in an ETF with a DRP there is SYI which is the Spider High Yield Exchange Traded Fund. It is an income ETF and will follow a slow unspectacular path with a fairly good dividend.

As at 30th April 2016 it has a holding of 39 shares its major holding is a selection of banks. It lists its top 10 weighted % holdings as:-

WESTPAC BANKING CORP 9.09%
COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRAL 8.60%
NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LTD 8.51%
AUST AND NZ BANKING GROUP 8.27%
WESFARMERS LTD 5.16%
RIO TINTO LTD 4.96%
AMCOR LIMITED 4.93%
BHP BILLITON LIMITED 4.70%
INSURANCE AUSTRALIA GROUP 4.62%
TELSTRA CORP LTD 4.52%

It was listed on the 28th September 2010. This is a monthly chart showing its full history.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

qed
Username: qed

Post Number: 184

Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:00 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BEN turned out to be a very good stock to invest in for my daughter using DRP... one to consider IMO}

kesil

Post Number: 82

Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:21 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice one QED thanks for the addition to the list!

.....and a weekly chart with the EMA cross. I am thinking perhaps a small correction/buying op before it resumes its journey?

BEN

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 83

Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:38 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW has re-instated its DRP and has had an upward cross over after two years of descent for the weekly EMA and is now widening with a recent pullback. Could be worth a look!

WOW

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 84

Monday, September 19, 2016 - 04:04 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CBA

Nice historical swing trade resolution at A and B, it looks as though it is setting up for another swing trade C and D. If it resolves on the up side it may get to around $100.

CBA

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

kesil

Post Number: 86

Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 05:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well folks, that previous chart of the CBA was truly a chart for which I can be really ashamed. GARBAGE!

Now having flagellated myself enough in public let's try that again!

On re-drawing the chart for the swing trades, one having already resolved perfectly at $96 and one yet to start its journey. The second when drawn correctly also appears to have the potential to resolve at $96

I think it is going to break out above the falling triangle in the New Year, maybe end of January beginning of February 2017. It may see lower levels as there is a descending support/trendline which may see falling prices down to perhaps $65 if the current support of $69/$70 fails.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 3

Friday, May 24, 2019 - 07:46 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NAB is facing a tough time these days because they have to convince the market that the strategy of discounting mortgages for new business is no longer required as it is only worsening the cycle of customer churn and it is not in the best interests of the customer or the bank. Bank updated the dividend reinvestment plans also.

ScarlettSmith

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 4

Friday, May 24, 2019 - 07:47 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NAB is facing a tough time these days because they have to convince the market that the strategy of discounting mortgages for new business is no longer required as it is only worsening the cycle of customer churn and it is not in the best interests of the customer or the bank. Bank updated the dividend reinvestment plans also.

ScarlettSmith

kesil

Post Number: 111

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 06:27 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly the above link to DRPs (DRIPS) is no longer available
however this does not mean stocks offering DRPs are no longer available. You will need to look a bit closer to find stocks offering DRPs. Look to the ASX or to company reports.

I will start an ETF list shortly, some of them also offer DRPs.

Do your own homework and find which stocks offer DRPs, it is a great way to grow your investment in a passive manner and in a very cost effective way.

AKA Ann

Winston S. Churchill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Dow Jones Technically Speakingkesil01-Jan-17  05:57 pm
Precious Metals Chartedkesil15 01-Jan-17  06:02 pm
All Ordinaries Loggedkesil15 24-Dec-18  09:36 am
Show Me The Forexkesil25-Oct-16  03:24 pm
Things Which Amusekesil10-Dec-18  05:06 pm
China on the Tablekesil08-Jun-15  03:20 pm