You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Free Firewalls, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spy Software

Chart Forum » Incredible Charts - Useful Tips » Free Firewalls, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spy Software

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 883

Rating: 
Votes: 2

Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:37 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There appears to be no need for private users to spend money on security software:

Firewall: Kerio Personal Firewall.
Anti-virus: AVG Anti-Virus.
Anti-Spyware: Pest Patrol, Spybot or Spychecker.
Spamware: Popfile.
All of these programs are free for home/personal use.

I would appreciate feedback from as wide a number of users as possible. It will be a great help to other members.

Colin

shawky
Username: shawky

Post Number: 66

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:49 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin
I haven't used Kerio but have found Sygate Personal Firewall excellent. I have custom rules configured and the program is extremely stable - never crashes. I log every IP packet in case I need to see what Microsoft is up to from time to time. That has been a learning experience.
I didn't like Zone Alarm at all.

I use Norton Anti Virus for the on line update.

SpybotSD appears to be good and AdAware works very well. AdAware Pro AdWatch actually works well too.
POPfile is great, although you need to regularly fine tune the classification of emails. It takes some time to tailor it to your own needs. Very stable which is most important.

regards
Shawky

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 884

Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:52 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shawky

Is Sygate free for personal use?
Do you have a link?

Thanks
Colin

shawky
Username: shawky

Post Number: 67

Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 09:15 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and there is a Home Office Internet sharing program as well which works pretty good. Both a free for personal use but you do have to register your name, email address. hardly get any email from them.

http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

Just checked the website and whilst Sygate Personal Firewall is free, the new version of Home Network is not free, not to worry as W2K and XP handle modem sharing OK anyway.I have the older version if anyone wants it.

regards
Shawky

palace
Username: palace

Post Number: 309

Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:22 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi

you can get a free online scan from panda software.com ,anti virus,updated daily

mick

rhen
Username: rhen

Post Number: 99

Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:00 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spam: I've been using Presorium Frontgate

http://www.presorium.com/index.shtml

the others: kerio, pest patrol (cookie patrol), AVG I have used for some time (however I like/include the Eset antivirus package ... not free)

regards
rhen

palace
Username: palace

Post Number: 428

Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:05 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks rhen

have been using frontgate since you mentioned it

mick

kaveman
Username: kaveman

Post Number: 54

Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:19 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to a site that has information on various firewalls
http://www.firewallguide.com/

ratty
Username: ratty

Post Number: 2

Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:08 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zone Alarm excellent, had problems with both Kerio and Sygate.

Heard a rumour that Micro$oft might be "obtaining" ZoneAlarm. Anyone else heard that one?

Ratty

vpn_secure
Username: vpn_secure

Post Number: 1

Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:17 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there,

Zone Alarm Pro: It took at least four times longer to boot up than without it. I uninstalled in within a half hour after installing. It is even difficult to uninstall.

Besides, I still can't enter the product key.

Other useful links:
http://www.all-internet-security.com
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwfirewall.html

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Samantha

rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 100

Friday, December 01, 2006 - 06:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Samantha... Welcome to the Forum...Aahh, before I start,I should say that I know next to nothing about various security products and I have what I have because they were free or were part of Windows. I have really never dived into security,so I cannot talk tech. jargon with anybody... But, is the Windows Firewall not sufficient.I use Windows XP firewall, AVG free antivirus, Ad-Aware free version and Window Washer and have had no problems whatsoever.

Some time ago, I ran a free check via one of the antivirus mobs (symantec, I think) where they try to gain access (hack) into your computer through various avenues in order to try to sell you their wares. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a message back saying that as far as the internet was concerned, my computer was invisible,so all my freebies are sufficient for my needs at the moment.

I notice now that the latest I.E version has a clean up section which could render "Window Washer" obsolete.

I remember one of the first things that I read when I first started to learn about the market/trading and that was... for everything that someone wants to sell to you... you can probably find the same thing or better on the net... and that's the truth.

It's been a while since this thread has been used so maybee someone else with a bit more tech. knowledge could comment.

Regards Mick

P.S If it's ok with you Samantha, I would like to contact you at a later date with some questions regarding TSX..... but maybee not.... Cheers.

ausdoc
Username: ausdoc

Post Number: 9

Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 07:01 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I run SpyBot (have problems with the video interface making it difficult to use - it runs the 'remember this action' line into the actioning line), ZoneAlarm Pro (because I have a home network - no problems) & AVG. All these on recommendation from my computer guru.
I certainly haven't had problems apart from the SpyBot interface - it seems to run well

macca888
Username: macca888

Post Number: 61

Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 08:04 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G'day all

Other than the security (which I still struggle to understand) provided by my modem router's (a Draytech Vigor 2600G see http://www.ozcableguy.com -an excellent site for oz) firewall I use Symantic antivirus corporate version and the free Ad-Aware SE personal(see lavasoft).

I am very cautious about websurfing and downloads.
Unsolicited attachments or links are an absolute no-no for me.

This gets rid of most problems or annoying things.
There is always the delete button for the rest or to report spam in OZ have a look at http://www.acma.gov.au. -ACMA-Spam to download a free spam reporting ad-in to OE.

Hope this helps
macca888

"Buy low, sell high is a cliche, not a blueprint for action. It blinds investors to the professionals' approach of buying high and selling higher." Stan Weinstein

"A prudent speculator never argues with the tape. Markets are never wrong - opinions often are". Jesse Livermore

"The only sound reason for buying a stock is that it is rising in price.
If that is happening, no other reason is required.
If that is not happening, no other reason is worth considering".Nicolas Darvas

sam111
Username: sam111

Post Number: 13

Monday, March 19, 2007 - 05:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for those websites Macca.
My tip is Ewido anti-spyware has now been taken over by AVG and is called AVG Anti-Spyware. you can download it from the same place as AVG Anti-Spyware, there are free versions of both.
It recently picked up a downloader on my computer that Spybot and Windows Defender missed.
Cheers Sam

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Changing order of indicators colin_twiggs18-May-10  12:48 pm
Candles grow fat changing from daily to weekly etc..?rockon16-May-10  03:06 pm
Intraday Chartsfalcon10-Jun-09  11:07 am
How to use Scanner function in Incredible Chartscolin_twiggs11-May-09  10:45 am
Importing data from yahoo to Incrediblechartscolin_twiggs17-Jan-09  04:39 pm
How to close project tabs in IncredibleChartsrockon20-Sep-08  08:56 am
Loading chart from Excelazile12 06-Aug-08  03:30 pm
Importing from IC to Excel ?colin_twiggs28-Jun-08  04:28 pm
Import Txt or Imputing Data into IC?colin_twiggs03-Jun-08  03:07 pm
Trailing stopsqed10-May-08  05:58 pm
Open Incredible Charts to a different security each time?shawky14-Jul-07  11:36 am
Can weekly scans be done?inkie01-May-07  07:17 pm
One computer 2 monitorswag5627-Aug-06  10:52 am
MS datasharebaba26-Jun-06  01:33 am

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»