Sectors/my stupidityquamox15-Oct-02  12:48 am
Sector Rises/Sector StagesWilliam Mason09-Sep-02  04:35 pm
Optios ,etcchrisseb14-Aug-02  08:38 pm
Archive through March 13, 2002Snifter55 13-Mar-02  10:29 am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
Snifter

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:49 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xelle....for short selling info give Tricom a ring on 1300736600

Online short selling is not available as far as I know.

Don't tangle with the short side of the market unless you're proficient in trading the long side.

Snifter

Snifter

Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:56 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gino...sorry, my advice to read Weinstein's book for info on Stage analysis was meant to be addressed to Victor. I addressed it to you by mistake.
Snifter

swaye

Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 01:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shonks
thanks .between the lines,its hard enough to understand something you don't letalone something you can't see??right??got to go keep an eye on slimy EEL bought at .22 and is typical of my list if u wan't to look .i should have obeyed my rules and sold .am but td waterhouse crashed .blind and dumb ? i guess
up yours (stocks) thanks
swaye

Gino

Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 01:48 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snifter..no probs. Funny thing is I ordered the book yesterday! Although I've been dabbling for almost a decade, I figured it's about time I take note of someone who REALLY knows what they're doing.
IChart - thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

xelle

Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:59 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snifter

Thanks for the info

Xelle

wolfman

Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 03:20 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone please tell me where I can find the stocks listed for each sector? eg. For Energy [XEY]- what stocks make up this sector?

Colin Twiggs

Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 06:30 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolfman

You have to know what sub-sectors make up each sector index. Then you can search each sub-sector on the stock screens.

We will post a list on the site or you can Email Support and ask for the list.

Colin

Snifter

Friday, March 15, 2002 - 10:30 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolfman...
Try 'Shares' magazine, it lists the stocks in their sectors.
Last time I visited www.tradingroom.com.au they listed the sectors and the sub sectors, and all the stocks in them. I've just tried to get into tradingroom and it doesn't want to cooperate.

Westapc online broking site has a nifty feature for identifying what sector a stock is in. You select 'Company Details'from the menu on the left of the page, type in the stock code, and it bangs up the stock and it's sector.
You'd have to join up with Westpac broking to have access to their site, but you can do so without trading with them.
Mind you, you could do a lot worse than Westpac if you're looking for an online broker.
Snifter

wolfman

Friday, March 15, 2002 - 10:39 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snifter, I'll have a bit more of a look around. Being new to all this, I'm still finding my feet, so thanks...

Wolfman

wolfman

Friday, March 15, 2002 - 11:01 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snifter

Went to the trading room. I've added the sector link below for whoever needs it.....then follow your nose after that.

http://www.tradingroom.com.au/markets/index.jsp?section=ind_listing

wolfman

G T

Friday, March 15, 2002 - 09:11 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Snifter for tip to go West Pack Company Details for Industry Sectors & Sub Sectors plus many other pointers,frank and all as maybe.Cheers GT

Colin Twiggs

Friday, March 15, 2002 - 09:43 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1)To find out what sector a stock belongs to:

Go to "Search" on the Securities menu or toolbar, search on the stock code (eg. TLS) and the sector is shown to the right of the name.

2)To find all the Stocks in a sector:

Go to "Stock Screening" on the View menu or toolbar, select the sector and "Submit" without entering any search criteria.

3)To find what sectors are represented by an index/industry group:

Wait for the long-awaited list to be posted on our website or Email Support and I will mail the list to you.

Colin

Snifter

Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 04:16 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Col...sometimes the sector is shown to the right of the stock name, other times it isn't.
For example, if I do a search on AKD via the Securities menu, it doesn't tell me its in the Other Metals sector, it just tells me its in Diamonds.
Or if I search for ATE, it tells me its in Mining Exploration, but it doesn't tell me the sector (Other Metals).

A question on volume....When I put up a chart of any sector, a volume histogram appears below the chart. There's no such thing as volume on a sector, so I'm wondering if this is a glitch in the software?

Cheers,
Snifter.

Colin Twiggs

Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:02 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snifter

It gives the sectors but not the industry groups.

To find the industry group we need to supply you with a list of sectors and groups.

Volume:
The ASX signal D04 provides us with volume for each index.

Colin

Snifter

Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 07:32 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Col, I must be looking in the wrong place. AKE and ATE are in the XOM (Other Metals) sector according to both Shares magazine and Westpac broking site. But nowhere could I see the words 'Other Metals' written beside these two stocks, or even the code XOM. The sector was there for some of them, but not for others.
Or do I misunderstand the meaning of the term 'sector'. Are 'industry group' and 'sector' two different things?

With regard to the volume, do you mean that the ASX provides the total volume of shares traded on stocks within that sector?

Snifter

gottohavit

Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 10:27 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can one apply Stan's methods to the sub-sectors,
or would it be best to concentrate on the Top 100,as larger cap stocks would have a larger influence on the Indices/Sectors/Sub-Sectors?
This is a great site!

RobBob

Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 04:36 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie and I'm very interested in the subject of the 4 stages of a stock's movement. Could someone help me out (or point me in the right direction) in understanding these stages and how to indentify them? Thanks -RobBob

Dave

Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 07:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,

I too am learning the great mysteries! Have a look at the "Easy Guide" section on the first screen, this covers your request. Be prepared to be sidetracked though, 'cos eveything is so well explained!!

Colin Twiggs

Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 09:58 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob

The Breakout Model contains a brief description of the 4 stages.

But for a full explanation - get hold of a copy of Stan Weinstein's Secrets For Profiting In Bull And Bear Markets.

Colin

RobBob

Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 10:06 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Colin and Dave. Cheers!

Peter P

Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 04:45 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see what you are trying to achieve with sector analysis, but may I make a few suggestions:

1. It appears that Healthcare & Biotechnology
(XHB) is missing from the sectors watchlist. Health and Biotech appears as an index, but not as a sector on the sector watchlist. Therefore, you cannot scan XHB on the sector watchlist to see if it is outperforming the XAO. (You can do this from the securities menu though).

I would suggest that rather than having the sector/sub-group breakdown, I would have a sector/individual-stock breakdown. That way, once you identify a sector that is out-performing, then you can zero in on the individual stocks that make up the sector.

2. To that end, the logical thing to do is to have pre-set watchlists corresponding to each sector that are named, for example, "Gold" etc, with their corresponding individual stocks in them. I know you can do this manually from my end, but is it possible to have them organised automatically from your end?

Robin

Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 05:19 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter P

Thanks for the useful suggestions.
Colin will be back Tuesday - he put together the sector analysis tools and is best equipped to evaluate them and respond.

um - anonymous

Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 07:35 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

colin gets days off???!!!?!?!
who's steering this ship?? just when i thought he could do the job. i hope he forgets his password when he comes back, and i trust that he will be pistol whipped with his executive men's room key before having it taken away.
cheers

Shonky

Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 08:09 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um-anonymous
Colin!the omnipresent is not on holiday, his persona is taking a rest. Robin is merely a product of an excited psyche.or two.
Didn't you write heaps of lousy poetry a few decades ago under an abbreviated nom-de-plume?

um-anonymouse

Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 08:34 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh - well - thank goodness for that. i thought we'd been abandoned.
no - i never wrote lousy poetry. we of the indomitable ga ga and the zabors applied our punk morals to memorising whatever poetry was scratched that night into the cubicle walls of the curry shop, and then went out and sang it at frenetic pace (before we forgot it) in e major. with our hostage drummer. but we never did write it down. and some of it wasn't bad, actually. that was when we (you know the rest of the story).

John Mitchell

Monday, April 01, 2002 - 10:06 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From reading the notes on Sector Analysis, I take it that you have to setup the watchlist and sectors yourself? Or can it be downloaded with the 30 week weighted MA and the relative strenght to the all ords setup already?

matt

Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:28 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John,

Following the instructions on the web site will let you cycle through each index in the [Sectors - ASX] watchlist and compare them to the All Ords.

Once you've decided on an index (eg. Chemicals) you have to find out which sectors are in that index (look in the forums here), *then* you have to look at each stock in each sector.

Robin has said that he & Colin are looking at making this easier, but until then, it's a bit of a PITA. You could create your own watchlist for each Index by hand of course, which you'd only hafta do once.

On that subject, Robin/Colin, can one export one's settings, in particular watchlists, so you can import it into another copy of IC? I use it at home and at work and setting up the same watchlists twice is tedious :-). It would also allow people to easily share their favourite watchlists (and in particular, the index watchlists).

cheers, m.

John Mitchell

Monday, April 01, 2002 - 03:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do we find securities in sectors like Small Ords, Mid Cap 50 Industrials, Small Resource etc.

matt

Monday, April 01, 2002 - 04:48 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chart Forum/Sectors/Industry Groups/Sectors lists the indexes and the sectors that make them up. The sectors listed are what's under the Securities/AUSTRALIA menu.

I think that for any that aren't there (like Mid Cap 50 Industrials) you hafta ask Robin or Colin to add (they say that putting these in the forum is a stop-gap measure only).

m.

John Mitchell

Monday, April 01, 2002 - 08:44 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Matt, I'll give it a try

GI

Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 09:18 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Colin,

I agree [Trading Diary: April 1, 2002]. My notes are as follows:
Indexes that are strong and rising are:
Chemicals; XCE
Diversified Industrials; XDI
Energy XEG; just began with break out Feb 8th/02.
Gold XGO; Break out began Mon April 30/01
Insurance XIU; Break out began Fri Feb18/02
Miscelaneous Industrials XMI; Beginning Mar15/02
Retail XRE; Still strong. Commenced Mar 27/2001
Transport XTP; Break out Feb 26/02
Tourism and Leisure XTV; Break out on Oct17/01

Am now going through stock selection.
What is of concern is that most of the remaining sectors appear to be weakening; are flattening or in stage 4 decline. Hence I see weakness in the All Ords market.

Shonky

Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 10:16 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GI - before assuming a general weakness in the all ords via sector analysis,are you weighting each sector via market cap or similar means? Just curious.

Niloc

Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 01:29 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hallo
I have just read all e-mails in the 'Sector Savvy' forum and find the use of the terms Sector, Index and Industy Group confusing. (Snifter on 17/3 seemed to ask the right questions but I could not find any answers in subsequent e-mails)

So, could somebody please answer the following:

1. Do sector and industry group describe the same thing?
2. Are there 24 sectors (industry groups) on the ASX eg banks, food, media etc?
3. Is each sector (industry group) broken down further into sub-categories, eg 'healthcare and biotechnology' into pharmaceuticals, hospital mgt etc?
4. When Snifter described his pre stock selection 'Sector Analysis' process (24/2)was he referring to the 24 ASX classifications (sectors)?
5. Is the effectiveness of trend analysis improved if sub-categories (rather than sectors) are examined?

NILOC

peterq

Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 05:21 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How useful is sector analysis in Australia where many sectors are dominated by one or two stocks?
Eg News in media, ColesMyer and Woolworths in retail, Telstra in telecommunications etc etc;

Colin Twiggs

Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 09:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Niloc (I thought I was the backward one)

The ASX is divided into 24 Industry Groups, each represented by an Index (eg. XAT: Alcohol & Tobacco).

Each Industry Group consists of a number of Sectors (or sub-categories). See Industry Groups/Sectors for examples.

Shares magazine refers to the Industry Groups as "sectors", hence the confusion.

Here is an extract from the ASX Glossary:

Industry Sectors

Companies listed on ASX are divided into two broad sectors: Resources and Industrials. This division reflects the Australian economy, with the current breakdown being approximately 84% Industrials and 16% Resources.

Within these two broad sectors, ASX listed companies (see listed company) are grouped into 24 different industries, with a share price index provided for each:

Resources sector:
Diversified Resources
Energy
Gold
Other Metals.

Industrials sector:
Alcohol and Tobacco
Banks
Building Materials
Chemicals
Developers and Contractors
Diversified Industrial
Engineering
Food and Household Goods
Healthcare & Biotechnology
Infrastructure & Utilities
Insurance
Investment and Financial Services
Media
Miscellaneous Industrials
Paper and Packaging
Property Trusts
Retail
Telecommunications
Tourism and Leisure
Transport.

Colin Twiggs

(Message edited by robin on February 20, 2003)

Colin Twiggs

Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 09:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peterq

You make a valid point. Where an index is dominated by one stock, evaluating the index separately from the stock is of limited benefit.
Media and Telecommunications are 2 possible examples.

Where an index is dominated by 2 major stocks (eg. Retail) it is still beneficial to compare each stock to the index performance. If both major stocks are doing well, this is more positive than if one is gaining at the expense of the other.

Colin

Robin

Friday, April 05, 2002 - 09:24 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

matt

"On that subject, Robin/Colin, can one export one's settings, in particular watchlists, so you can import it into another copy of IC? I use it at home and at work and setting up the same watchlists twice is tedious :-). It would also allow people to easily share their favourite watchlists (and in particular, the index watchlists)"

The present version cannot - something for us to introduce in a future update.

gottohavit

Friday, April 05, 2002 - 01:28 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When comparing PBL with Media, is PBL showing possitive divergence from Feb.?

slavko

Monday, April 08, 2002 - 12:02 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all ,
Would any one be kind enough to explain how to
overlay sector on the chart of the All, Ords as Snifter mentioned above please.

I tried few things but can't get it going.

Much appreciated.

slavko

chesterjohn

Monday, April 08, 2002 - 02:29 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi to everyone, i am totally new to all the jargon but hopefully will pick it up as i go along.I am doing my homework (not school) before i attempt any trading. It is really helpful to get incredible charts and also to read all of your messages. Keep it up and hopefully one day i will be brave enough to give it a go.

Shonky

Monday, April 08, 2002 - 07:31 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slavko
My method is to set up the required sectors on a watchlist, then open up the stock you wish to overlay, select the "price comparison"indicator which will display the watchlist and the rest is easy.
It is possible to have several sectors on display against XAO for example, and judicious use of the
"L" button and the tick options will give you an easy filter.

blackdog

Monday, April 08, 2002 - 11:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all
Sector Analysis
Can somebody help
When i put up a weekly chart on each sector with a
30week ema on it what should be the time frame on the charts.
Also when people talk of a 20-30 day duration is that the time frame for a 15 or 20 day ema and a
10 day rsi
blackdog

slavko

Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:55 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Shonky,for sharing your wisdom.

This is getting better and better every day.

Much appreciated.

slavko

stickman

Monday, April 22, 2002 - 02:34 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all
i still have the L plates on , how do i find out
what sector a stock belongs to ,
thanks heaps.

Colin Twiggs

Monday, April 22, 2002 - 05:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stickman

The easiest way is to do a search on the stock code - it shows the sector that the stock belongs to.

To find out which sectors belong to which index, check out Industry Groups/Sectors.

Colin

stickman

Monday, April 22, 2002 - 07:14 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin thanks for your help one more question
i think i removed the m/a weekly/30/ weighted/
it keep,s saying the indicator has been removed.
I can"t seem to find him.

thanking you

stickman

Colin Twiggs

Monday, April 22, 2002 - 07:24 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stickman

Did you remove it from the charts? To restore it, open the chart file and then:

1) Open the Indicator Panel
2) Select Moving averages in the left column
3) In the center panel
(a) select "Weekly"
(b) alter the time period to "30"
(c) select "Weighted"
4) Save (>) and close (X)

Colin

stickman

Monday, April 22, 2002 - 08:54 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help colin tried above but didn"t
work.
Message came back
Re m/averages weekly 30. Attempted to load, no values were returned either the security has insufficient data to run this indicator or the indicator period options are set to high in relation to the available data.
The indicator has been removed
Thanks Colin

stickman (novice)

Colin Twiggs

Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 11:45 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stickman

This means that the stock you are charting has less than 30 weeks data so the 30-week weighted moving average could not be calculated.

Switch to another stock and the indicator should be present.

Colin

stickman

Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 02:59 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank"s colin for your help

stickman

the pope

Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:19 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

col,
what essentially is the diff betwixt weighted and equi?..ciao
+++++

Wannabe

Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:33 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shonky - where are you? I didn't mean to give you the impression of trying to fob off you off with your query about my short selling experience.

In the past I've looked for heavily traded ASX100 stocks that have hit new highs. I had a dream run with Newscorp in 2001 & broken even with all my other short sales since.
You can tell just by that statement that I've been playing with fire & luckily Incredible charts & continual reading has saved me from any really painful losses!!!!
I've since realised that the rules for short selling are generally the same as 'normal trading' except in reverse.
The instituition I do my short selling through is Leveraged Equities.

Wannabe - aka Gino

Shonky

Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 04:37 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wannabe aka Gino
Are you Charter 1? If so, wow, what a magnificent personality, and I'm saying that as a Gemini!

the pope

Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 06:43 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

col, that should read..exponential not equi..
+++++

Wannabe

Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 06:45 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shonky. Errr.... no, I was responding to your posting on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:31 am.

Shonky

Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 08:46 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wannabe
Nice quick response -you don't play tennis do you?
Then again I used to play chess, maybe that's why I'm veering towards long-term trades...

Wannabe

Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shonky - I play SQUASH but my body tells me that it could well be time to once again start playing the much loved,though poorly practiced,game of chess.
If only my my mind would manifest a modicum of wisdom & heed the message..................
keep cool-don't just think short term.

Cheers
Wannabe

John Mitchell

Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 09:28 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to set Secotr Analysis. I am able to do the following:
Select the pre-set Watchlist with all of the sector indices - named [Sectors - ASX]. Users must have Multiple Watchlists activated (under Advanced Features).
I don't seem to able to see the pre-set file name in the File menu as described below:
On the File menu, place your mouse over Open File
and select the pre-set file named [Sectors - ASX] The file is pre-set with the 30-week weighted moving average and relative strength (to the All Ords).
What am I doing wrong?

Kathie

Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 02:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something that may be of use to everyone regarding sector hot spots. Louise Bedford has now added "hot and cold sectors" to her web page which is updated regularly.

I find this reassuring to compare my findings to hers.
Her books are also worth reading.

jester

Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 10:22 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks kathie, and yes, it is of use to me.

jester

Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 10:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link if you need it.

Louise Bedford homepage

http://www.tradingsecrets.com.au/index.htm

hot and cold sectors

http://www.tradingsecrets.com.au/hot-cold-main.htm

Oscar Stafford

Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:31 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to figure out how to review my watch list combined with the sectors that the stock is in and compare other stocks in the sector any suggestions?

Warren Bluffit

Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 01:02 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I went to a sales pitch by an american company the other day. They were selling a very expensive system for investing in the american stock exchange. The one thing that I really liked about their site however was the way that they layed out the sector movement information.

ie

XDJ [G 12%][G 10%][G1%][R 2%]
XSJ [R 1%][R 4%] etc
XHJ . . .
XFJ . . .
XUJ . . .

This was a map of the weekly performance of each sector where a green box indicated a hot sector and a red box indicated a cold sector and then a value was put into each box to indicate the movement. This format was excellent for gaining an overall picture of the sector movement and you could quickly tell at a glance what was happening. I am trying to do the same thing myself but was thinking that it would make a really great page on the Incredible charts site for people who wanted to get an overview of what was happening in each sector.

Also have a look at this news release by Standards and poor's I found it interesting to see the sector capitalisation in the ASX 200

Expired Link - http://www.spglobal.com/releases/061201asx.html

(Message edited by robin on February 19, 2003)

Colin Twiggs

Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 01:13 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren B.

This looks really interesting. Where can I find out more?

I take it that:
(a) the brackets represent successive weeks with the latest week on the right.
(b) R = red and G = green

Do the %s represent the weekly gain in the index?
How are the "Hot" and "Cold" sectors determined?

Colin

Warren Bluffit

Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 10:11 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Colin,
Yes the R = Red and G = Green. With the American system it put the latest week on the left, however if we were drawing up a web page it would be easier to just put the latest weeks on the right hand side. From what I could gather the number in the boxes was used purely as an indicator of the volume of money moving between the sectors each week (this was done as the system was sold on the basis of being easy for the mum and dad investors to grasp). If we were doing a similar system on IC then the page mentioned by kathie and Jester could be a good place to start. I do tend to think that in order to be usefull the number in the individual boxes needs to give an indication of whether the trend in the sector is moving up or down, so perhaps it should be the amount that the sector is out or under performing the Resources or Industrial indexes as a whole?

Unfortunately you can't see the web site of the company that I was talking about unless you cough up 5 grand but there really wasn't anything that ground breaking that we couldn't do with IC, a html table and the colour fill bucket (:

Mik

Monday, August 12, 2002 - 09:10 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Colin

Congratulations on the best charting website I have come across. Incrediblecharts is a very powerful tool and coupled with your daily newsletter plus other articles on the website you dont need too much more to make good investing decisions.
One issue I have come across is that when I attempt to open a chart from the "Sectors - ASX" watchlist, for example "Alcohol & Tobacco", I receive "XAT_AX is currently not available".
Is there a problem with this feature at the moment?
It is the same for any sector on this watchlist.
The Sectors - ASX 200 watchlist works great.

Thanks
Mik

Colin Twiggs

Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 09:17 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mik

The ASX discontinued the old sector indices (XAT, XGO, etc.) at the end of June.

The only sector indices available are for the 12 ASX 200 sectors.
See Watchlist >> Open >> [Sectors - ASX 200].

Colin

Mack

Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 05:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Anyone
Im relatively new to the site ,which i think is brilliant.I have had no problems setting up the indicators i want ,although when it comes to Stock screens im always returned without a result. Any hints would be appreciated.
Regards Mack

Colin Twiggs

Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 08:15 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack

Start by selecting:

>>All equities
>>The ASX 50
>>Sort by "Sector"

and submit. If that works then add filters, one at a time, and click submit after each one.

You should soon see where the problem lies.

Colin

Mack

Friday, August 23, 2002 - 03:22 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin.
Thanks worked well. Now that i have your attention,have you considered putting live data on the site
Regards Mack

Jan bruinsma

Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 11:51 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin,
I have tried to follow your steps to do Sector Analysis but somehow I am not doing it right.
Watchlist>> sectors ASX>> all sectors return a message like:
XGO_AX_D3
Status code: 404
Status Message: File not found
select Xnj and it works but all others return similar as above, even your Gold sample.
Also,is there a way to view the charts for larger periods like 2 years?

regards, Jan

Colin Twiggs

Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:24 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan

Please delete the old [Sectors - ASX] watchlist: these indices are no longer supplied by the ASX.
The replacement watchlist is [Sectors - ASX 200].

The new ASX 200 indices only have 1 years data at present.

Colin

Colin Twiggs

Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:50 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack

Yes. We plan to add live data later. But ASX royalties are expensive: more than $30 per user per month, compared to $2 per month for the NYSE or Nasdaq.

We will start with 20-minute delayed data, within the next 2 months.

Colin

Jan

Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:39 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin,
Thanks a lot, this is now deleted and I see that Mik had the same question but it did not click with me, sorry.

Thanks again, regards, Jan

rrain
Username: rrain

Post Number: 2

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:11 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Colin, in "Help" it says sector watchlist chart places heavy load on PC resources etc...not being v. familiar with workings of IC does that mean it's preferable to start it from scratch after loading? Thanks

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 3003

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:26 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rrain,
The sector chart uses a lot of resources because of the number of lines plotted on the chart. If you change to another stock or project, the load will return to normal. There is no need to restart.

Regards,
Colin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
INDEX LEADERS AND LAGGARDSspdfgh07-Jan-12  02:37 pm
Newbie question.. where can i find e-mini s&p 500 under ??bullwinkle19-Nov-09  05:18 pm
Index Fundssway08-May-08  10:49 am
TRADING THE XJOvalruss202 10-Feb-08  09:56 pm
Sector Not Allocatedshayneb31-Dec-07  09:31 am
COMPANIES THAT MAKE UP AN INDEX IN HOT SECTORshayneb16-Dec-07  04:30 pm
Trading Aus 200 Cashqed12 29-Oct-07  11:34 pm
Where can I find LIVE Advance Decline Datasir_lance08-Aug-07  07:01 am
Xjo versus xao and other indices jimdene25 15-Jul-07  04:42 pm
XJO ..... astrostuff .....captain_silver11 21-May-07  10:30 am
INDEX CHANGES 16/03/07sam11118-Mar-07  07:02 pm
FTSE 100 at 5.858,70 pointsstoian20-Feb-07  07:03 pm
XEJ Stella run ohkoolnutz05-Feb-07  09:31 pm
Asx listswombat4029-Jan-07  08:48 am