Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
shadetreetrader
Username: shadetreetrader

Post Number: 81

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 05:06 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone interested in kicking off this thread?
Maybe show how you use the 'Industry Groups' or 'Industry' classification or even 'Sub-Industry' classifications to aid in your stock selection.
Or why you don't use them?

My posts should not be taken as stock recommendations or advice.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 82

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 11:05 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Industry Groups 140115

Clearly the Energy & Materials sectors need further division into Industry at least.
We know that gold companies are doing well at the moment, but that doesn't show if we only look at Sector & Industry groups. I'll keep drilling..

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 83

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 01:00 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SIGI nhnl 140115

Well that's gone down to the Industry level with Energy & Materials, but I still need to go down to Sub-Industry in the same in order to find what's hot & what's not.
To be continued..

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 84

Friday, January 16, 2015 - 08:42 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Ords x-ray 160115

Anything with a positive percentage (in blue) is worth investigating as it's been generated by New Highs.

dydavo
Username: dydavo

Post Number: 257

Rating: 
Votes: 1

Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:48 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Software and Services industry group starting to show potential (just TA - don't do fundamentals here). A few IT/tech stocks came up on my scan today, and bought.
eg, HSN, SMX, SIQ, hub, bgl, nea, jcs,

No predictions. Just watching, and taking a few positions.

Anything can be sold at any time.

David
Momentum and swing trading for a living.

Disclaimer: Please note that comments made in this column are mainly for the interpretation of charts in technical analysis. It should not be taken as advice.Any share discussion is for general interest and should not be relied on to make an investment decision.It is likely that I may own the shares that we discussed as a trade or as an investment. Shares might be sold without notice. Please consult your stock broker or financial adviser in regard to your personal situation.

The views expressed here contain information derived from public available sources that has not been independently verified.No representation or warranty is made as to the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information.Any forward looking information in this representation has been prepared on the basis of a number of assumptions which may prove to be incorrect.It should not be relied upon as a recommendation or forecast by the writer.

dydavo

Post Number: 263

Friday, August 12, 2016 - 12:43 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

XSSK resolves to the upside.

Holding stocks on this list (+GXY, but not BEAR!! - it is there to keep me alert to needing it one day!):

David
Momentum and swing trading for a living.

Disclaimer: Please note that comments made in this column are mainly for the interpretation of charts in technical analysis. It should not be taken as advice.Any share discussion is for general interest and should not be relied on to make an investment decision.It is likely that I may own the shares that we discussed as a trade or as an investment. Shares might be sold without notice. Please consult your stock broker or financial adviser in regard to your personal situation.

The views expressed here contain information derived from public available sources that has not been independently verified.No representation or warranty is made as to the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information.Any forward looking information in this representation has been prepared on the basis of a number of assumptions which may prove to be incorrect.It should not be relied upon as a recommendation or forecast by the writer.

visions
Username: visions

Post Number: 119

Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:04 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Colin or Shadetreetrader,

Q1: By any chance do you have the ASX Code that I can use to find the indices for the ASX300 Industry Group - Household & Personal Products?

Q2: I see that XSMK - Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment is flat line, has it been incorporated into something else like Technology Hardware & Equipment?

Thank you for any info on these 2.

Cheers ... Visions

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2174

Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:07 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. I think that is $XHPK.
2. Not sure about $XSMK. Can anyone shed any light on this?

My views expressed on this forum do not consider your personal circumstances and should not be considered as financial advice. Please conduct your own research.

visions

Post Number: 120

Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:12 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for Q1 answer Colin.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 1066

Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:18 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Visions
re Q2, as far as I know the ASX 300 Industry group XSMK shows as a flat line because there are no constituents in the ASX 300
I think SLX used to be in it, but possibly got removed in early 2015
Don't quote me on this, just going from memory, which can be pretty hazy sometimes
Cheers shadetree

Pay no attention to the financial press, their opinions and theories change like the wind. Pay no attention to self-proclaimed financial gurus who only reveal their buys and sells in hindsight.
Do not take my posts as stock recommendations or advice, do your own research.

visions

Post Number: 121

Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:32 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Shadetreetrader,

I was just going through a scanned list just now of a larger list than the ASX300 and I noticed a few in the list, then like clockwork I seen your post come in my email. That made me run a scan on the full list of the ASX300 and sure enough there was none as you thought.

Thanks for your reply, that helps a lot.

Cheers ... Visions

dydavo

Post Number: 408

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 08:06 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good action by NYSE Info tech ETF overnight, and the ASX IT sector also showing good strength. Lots of IT stocks performing well on the ASX, with their superior EPSG in the recent reporting season.

David
Momentum trading for a living.

dydavo

Post Number: 416

Friday, April 13, 2018 - 11:12 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were quite a few ASX stocks in the info tech sector XSSK which reported good EPSG in Feb. There has been some decent consolidation since. The question is now to watch for the XSSK stock that develops or maintains superior new momentum. New position in IFM at 0.87. I missed BVS unfortunately.

David

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 1076

Friday, April 13, 2018 - 05:34 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dydavo

IFM is doing, best case scenario, 25% pa, what's the attraction?

BVS is on a 360% pa 4 month linear regression line.

In the S&P 19th March 2018 Quarterly rebalance BVS was added to the ASX 300

Why do you think you've missed out, do you think that trend has finished?

Pay no attention to the financial press, their opinions and theories change like the wind. Pay no attention to self-proclaimed financial gurus who only reveal their buys and sells in hindsight.

dydavo

Post Number: 422

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 09:26 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi shadetreetrader,
Sorry I missed your post.

Good question. I did sell the ASX IT holdings after they had a nice run, and have not got back into them yet.

Chart below suggests that the trend is still friendly, and focussing on stocks earning USD probably a good idea too.

David

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 1079

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 01:56 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dydavo, you said in another thread recently that your usual position size is 2.5%

So that means that you could have up to 40 positions open at any given time.

Is that correct?

dydavo

Post Number: 423

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 04:23 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was correct. Van Tharp advised 30 positions for risk management. I don't believe that anymore.

I now only have 11 positions and fully invested.

David

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 1080

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 05:55 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Van Tharp is an interesting character, his newsletters contain some real gems in amongst the - how shall I say - less conventional stuff

I believe that somewhere between 5 and 20 positions is the norm for the average punter.

dydavo

Post Number: 438

Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 05:07 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ASX IT sector looking more interesting now that it sits somewhere near expected support price.

IT stocks that have resisted the recent selling and maintained their strong uptrend get my interest, and am long RHP and LVT today.

David

spdfgh
Username: spdfgh

Post Number: 407

Friday, August 10, 2018 - 04:30 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does this stand up to your market wide analysis?
Daily market map live updated.

Just another potato.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 1116

Friday, August 10, 2018 - 05:53 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure who you're talking to Spud, but if it's me then that heat map looks ok esp if you're interested in the smaller stocks.

This one's from Bell Direct:
Bell 2

& these are from Commsec:
Energy lge capsEnergy small caps

Interesting the difference in performance between Energy Large Caps & Energy Small Caps today.

spdfgh

Post Number: 408

Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:48 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes as I thought; there's always someone with a better market map!~
Bell Direct, is that payed or free access service?

Have just started looking at the broader market, at this time I feel I'm just not organised enough to monitor dozens of stocks in dozens of sectors, and without spare capital to chuck around on different ponies. At best I seem to be only just coping with two stocks in ownership. can't imagine 10 or more.

(Re dydavo's post) Might I enquire as to the average $ sizing per stock?
I could spread my dollars around over 10 stocks, but the amount would be very low thousands.

Just another potato.

spdfgh

Post Number: 409

Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 02:21 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any of the forum posters give consideration to local calendar events in market direction determinations?
(The below is extracted from Comsec Research Wrap)

It's a lot of non-chart info to comprehend then act on!
Maybe just a single entry could turn out to be a broader trigger event.

It would make sense that any one of the above events could be considered worthy by 'Goldman Sachs and CBA' to sell dump into the broader market,... as long as they publicised it first in some way.

There could well be a secular industry down-trend trigger event listed here, and chart interpretation for sector direction, is what I would consider to be, post analysis of events.

So you would need to be quick in action to join the event, especially if you had a wide market portfolio position, if not so decisive of overnight news; hear about it when markets open on the date... too late.

For example the recent spike up in the XVI.asx (5th Feb 2018); I maintain, was a coordinated pre-market synchronised dumping event, with support of the local institutions and subsidiaries organised to pre-empt the market and gain advantage to buy into lower prices over the following week.

There was not a lot heard from local commentators who were caught completely unawares, news broadcasts (ABC) reports coordinated around a similar ASX market release meant nothing in the long run, and if true would have taken the market into a longer term indecisive downtrend. That event served to highlight how critical a single event is on the minuscule ASX market, and how devastating a single event can be.

I was expecting the event of the of early February to be tabled in the Banking Royal Commission, but ASIC seem to have other motives beyond ASX market preservation and protection from local conglomerates and international market manipulation.
Just saying.

https://image.edm.commsec.com.au/lib/fe9413727563077e70/m/5/ResearchWrap10818.pd f
Welcome to this week’s edition of Research Wrap. Each week we prepare a report to include stocks that have had changes in recommendation by Goldman Sachs along with the latest Economic Insights from the CommSec team.
CORPORATE AND ECONOMIC CALENDAR WEEK BEGINNING 12 AUGUST 2018
AUSTRALIA OVERSEAS
Monday August 13 Credit & debit card lending (June)
Tuesday August 14 China activity data (July)
Tuesday August 14 NAB business survey (July)
Tuesday August 14 US NFIB Small Business Optimism (July)
Wednesday August 15 Wage Price Index (June quarter)
Tuesday August 14 US Export & import prices (July)
Wednesday August 15 Monthly consumer confidence (August)
Wednesday August 15 China House prices (July)
Thursday August 16 Employment/Unemployment (July)
Wednesday August 15 US Empire State index (August.)
Thursday August 16 Average Weekly Earnings (May)
Wednesday August 15 US Retail sales (July)
Friday August 17 Reserve Bank speech Wednesday August 15 US Industrial production (July)
Wednesday August 15 US NAHB housing market (August)
Thursday August 16 US Housing starts (July)
Thursday August 16 US Philadelphia Federal Reserve (August)
Friday August 17 US Leading index (July)
Friday August 17 US Consumer confidence (August)
Source: Craig James CommSec Chief Economist.

Or is this just what CBA & Goldman Sachs want you to believe...

(Message edited by sPdFgH on August 11, 2018)

Just another potato.

shadetreetrader

Post Number: 1117

Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 07:56 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The main thing that I'm paying attention to atm is reporting season results.

ie I'm interested in buying BSL but am holding off as it's due to report on Monday which could have a large effect on it's price & direction, same for SVW which reports on 22/08/18

Nick Radge has a dividend momentum trading system which trades the potential run up between the reporting date and going ex dividend.

If short term market volatility causes you grief maybe your trading time frame is too short, the shorter your timeframe the more the proportion of price movement is noise.

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 22

Monday, June 17, 2019 - 03:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually prefer to read ASX stock market news and
research for regular updates and according to my analysis
These countries have the largest ratio of investment:
United States: $18.9 trillion
Luxembourg: $3.9 trillion
Ireland: $2.2 trillion
Germany: $1.9 trillion
France: $1.9 trillion
Australia: $1.6 trillion
United Kingdom: $1.5 trillion
Japan: $1.5 trillion
China: $1.3 trillion
Brazil: $1.1 trillion

ScarlettSmith

spdfgh

Post Number: 479

Monday, June 17, 2019 - 05:00 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting Scarlett, what percentage of population of these countries are investors?

Just another potato.

scarlettsmith694
Username: scarlettsmith694

Post Number: 39

Monday, July 08, 2019 - 06:39 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have that much of information but I have researched on a few and got the result by country, the largest market was the United States which is (about 34%),
Japan (about 6%)
United Kingdom (about 6%).
The market capitalization was about US$79.225 trillion.
Apart from the Australian Securities Exchange, a few exchanges are based in one of three continents: North America, Europe and Asia.

Data can vary according to current asx stock market news and value.

ScarlettSmith

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
ASX Sectors 2017scarlettsmith69464 01-Jul-19  07:31 pm
BATTERY TECH & LITHIUM ETF $ACDCscarlettsmith69414-Jun-19  04:00 pm
US Indicesdydavo66 10-Feb-18  10:50 am
ASX Indices 2017shadetreetrader59 25-Sep-17  03:47 pm
World Dowdydavo04-May-17  11:32 am
Indices constituentsbenson05-Mar-17  12:33 pm