You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade Trends with Bollonger Bands and Twiggs Money Flow

Sept to Dec Challenge week 4

Chart Forum » Stocks - ASX: short term (strictly TA) » Archive through April 03, 2011 » Sept to Dec Challenge week 4

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Thread  
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 402

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 06:41 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the "Sept Equinox to December Solstice Challenge ".

As the name suggests this Challenge will begin on the week of Sept 22nd and run till December 22nd over a period of 13 weeks.At which time a acknowledgment will be made towards the top 3 achievers and also to last place.

The original Weekly Comp was aimed at the layman with $5000 drawn off his mortgage or visa card ,,a standard trading account and a day job,,,probably had a wife and kids also.

Based on the previous Weekly Comp this stock tipping Challenge will use Mondays open price for an entry and Fridays close as an exit.

An intra week Stop may be nominated after market close on any day Monday to Thursday and the closing price of that position will be the next days open price that being the nearest exit price.Thus closing your position till the start of the new week where you may enter a new entry.

Only long positions maybe be nominated at a price no lower than 5c.No warrants or such devices simply stock tickers.

Nominations must be accompanied with a chart and clearly show the TA used with a short explanation of that TA.May i suggest that IC's software be used for your chart postings.

"Long Continuous" positions maybe be announced prior to 4pm on Friday to maintain your nomination for the forth coming week.

Anyone that has not used their "Stop" or the "Long Continuous" facility will have Fridays close as their exit.

An entrant that has his nomination go into Trading Halt will also have their position halted untill the stock resumes trading.

Each entrant will be awarded a starting capital of $5000 (cyber dollars) profits will compound forward and anyone reaching a capital of $10,000 maybe split their (cyber) capital into 2 positions of $5000 each or continue with no money management and use the $10,000 on a single entry.

Short term weekly awards such as 1st,2nd,3rd and last place will be acknowledge and recorded as i have done previously along with the % of profit or loss.

Any new entrant to the challenge can feel free to ask for help regarding posting as many here are familiar with the above conditions and methods used.

Please place your tips and chart here in this thread.

rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 403

Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 06:44 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockon NCR L

Back to S/R line on lower volume.

jimmyswell
Username: jimmyswell

Post Number: 433

Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 03:32 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimmyswell TGS L
t
Tiger Resources appeared again on my scans. I didn't pay attention last time back in late Aug, at my peril.

It's a gold and copper explorer, with interests in the Philippines.

Got a speeding ticket in Sept and hasn't made any new announcements of significance in ages.

Yet, the price has been climbing steadily for 3 weeks, in steady volume.

So the market is interested and now, so am I.

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 167

Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 03:38 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rags,
BYR Long Please. Trading above the 30 ema on the daily & weekly, with strong supporting volume and price movement, MACD trending up with strong indicators on daily & weekly.
Thanks & Have a great weekend.

Would you rather be right or happy?

jaded
Username: jaded

Post Number: 359

Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 05:18 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jaded THX L

"Feel" it's consolidated sub 75 and due for news on at least one of it's projects so maybe this week?

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

elisabeth
Username: elisabeth

Post Number: 547

Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 06:05 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elisabeth AKM L

AKM dly

AKM has closed strongly above resistance at 15c after a previous failed attempt to break. May consolidate, now, however when seen in the longer term context (weekly chart below), a significant gap has been closed on strong volume plus breakout of a cup and handle reversal.

AKM wkly

Initial target is the 26c gap close, cup and handle target is around the 28c mark. I always thought of c&h as a continuation pattern, but have seen it described as reversal. Time will tell....

Happy week to all

ragchewer
Username: ragchewer

Post Number: 1015

Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 11:24 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rags TAM

No denying Gold is in an uptrend so i went looking for a Gold stock and came a cross TAM.I should stop picking stocks that appear to be making trend changes however there appears to be some support in the area and the rising channel suggests there's room for some upside.

Rags

lucky_phil
Username: lucky_phil

Post Number: 191

Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 06:15 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky Phil NTU L

NTU looking for a bounce off the lower border of the SD channel. Volume up Friday.

Good luck all for the coming week

Phil

Whoa you know you can't spend what you ain't got,
you can't lose what you ain't never had - McKinley Morganfield

grannie
Username: grannie

Post Number: 99

Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 07:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

grannie KRM L

Thanks Peter for the encouragement last week.

Barrier at 1.10. Finished on the trend line after dropping below so not really convincing. Will gold/silver continue their trend this week?? I'll take another punt...gT

azworkinit
Username: azworkinit

Post Number: 135

Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 08:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AZ, RMS L. Has consolidated after some retreat and gold is still kicking. Cant post the chart yet again. Rgds Az.

"Success is a lousy teacher.It seduces people into thinking they cannot lose."BILL GATES.

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 169

Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 08:47 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charts for azworkinit

Would you rather be right or happy?

eagle
Username: eagle

Post Number: 57

Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:18 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eagle - KRM (along for the ride with grannie) - on attached graph the 55d MA has proved to be a support area - has done a move of about 20-30c each time it comes off that - would like to have seen more vol in last 2 days to back up 3 days ago (but they're all waiting to buy this week and lift the price !!!)

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1072

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:24 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dolphin, EMS, L

In what could be a down week in the ASX, AUD and POG etc. reasonable % gains could be restrictive if at all! I'm choosing EMS because of the two dominant candles and the known M/D interest is still good so after expected early profit take I'm hoping if 5.2c holds we should see a move somewhere in the vicinity of 6.9c by Friday...hows that for wishful speaking?

Have a safe week everyone!

Dolphin

rdumas
Username: rdumas

Post Number: 4199

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 06:38 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. I posted this yesterday in the previous competition thread.

Some spectacular results for the folks in the 'green'. Well done. My inexperience in penny dreadfuls is showing up but I'll keep going to hopefully improve.

My pick this week will be AZZ. To me it looks like its in a corrective phase so it's not one for staying in for very long however it does look like the corrective rally is still incomplete.

It's obviously playing in an ascending channel and found some support at the 49 cent level and with some luck will attempt to get to the upper boundary of the channel rather than the lower boundary.

If it happens to get wave equality at 69 cents I'll take a sell thanks Rags, if that is permissable under the competition rules.

I've given you my view based on what I know now. In another 5 minutes that view might change because of additional information. It's the best I can do - Rudy

stampy
Username: stampy

Post Number: 245

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 07:43 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stampy L AKM..

I'll join Elizabeth this week if she doesn't mind to much. I picked up a few last week

Chart to follow.

Have a good week all

Regards Stampy

whiteowl
Username: whiteowl

Post Number: 96

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 08:12 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMY Long Thanks
611 % Fib retrace off a 3 wave structure with DMA's 10 > 30 > 65 > 120 and a little hammer.
Cheers all for the week

peterloh
Username: peterloh

Post Number: 3919

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 08:45 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peterloh SAR L

-------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Please note that comments made in this column is mainly for the interpretation of charts in technical analysis. It is not made in my professional capacity and should not be taken as advice.In my professional capacity I am only allowed to give advice on certain managed funds authorised by my license dealer.Any share discuss is for general interest and should not be relied on to make an investment decision.It is likely that I may own the shares that we discussed as a trade or as an investment. Please consult your stock broker or financial adviser in regard to your personal situation.

The views expressed here contain information derived from public available sources that has not been independently verified.No representation or warranty is made as to the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information.Any forward looking information in this representation has been prepared on the basis of a number of assumptions which may prove to be incorrect.It should not be relied upon as a recommendation or forecast by the writer.

ragchewer

Post Number: 1016

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 09:01 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like STB went in trading halt on Friday so i'm stuck in there.

Rags

jaded
Username: jaded

Post Number: 361

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 09:46 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you want to play this,rags?
STB opened today up after friday morning's 11amish trading halt.
So do you want Monday's Open as your Close from last week?
or Monday's close ditto?
or have STB as this week's pick by you as a Friday Close Continue?

your choice will set a precedent for baggus now and others in the future.
Rules,Rules,Rules-
What is the normal trading go in these circumstances?

I think that as we have Trading Halt as Automatic Continue but every trader is or should be aware of the reason for Halt so that one should be able to pre call,over the weekend what you choose on TH lifting
a]take Open or
b]Take a week continue
[ps-trading halts now usually give a reason for it in the news/announcement]

pretty convoluted? agree it'd be hard to write my suggestion into a rule.
what do you all reckon?

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

stampy
Username: stampy

Post Number: 246

Monday, October 18, 2010 - 07:08 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ragchewer

Post Number: 1017

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 10:05 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jaded,
Well i have to say i didnt pick up on the T.Halt as i sold out earlier int he week myself to maintain a % goal i'm trying to work on.

However for the purpose of the comp i was locked in there into the following week as we've always done.

Rdmus has raised an interesting question though,can he nominate a sell price,,,so
is the layman with $5000 and a day job able to select a sell price and place it on the Monday night for example.

I dont think this tangents away from the nature of the comp to far and also leaves room for a mistake as an up candle quite often finishes near its high.

I for one could not find the time to cross reference everyone's sell price to see if it did in fact sell,,,some honesty would be called for referring back to the post where a sell price was nominated.

Today i tried selling a stock at 84c ,,,price rose to my 84c bought a small percentage of my shares and fell away never to return,,,,,so +1c to any nominated sell price would be required.

Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on having a nominated sell price exit.

Off to the tables now to catch up on the last two days,,,

Kind regards
Rags
(just out of interest is there anyone else here familiar with excel and using data sort and colour functions ?)

ragchewer

Post Number: 1018

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 10:24 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mon

Rags
(shame i dont hold my stock anymore,,something to be said for patience maybe)

ragchewer

Post Number: 1019

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 10:40 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tue

Rags

I'm going to use my overnight stop on STB and accept tomorrows open price.

rdumas
Username: rdumas

Post Number: 4212

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 06:36 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rags,

As Jaded would know I usually only trade highly liquid stocks so that there is very little slippage when I decide to get out. I notice with the penny dreadfuls that there can often be huge slippage which would eat into your profit if you decided to sell at any particular point in time. For that reason I occurred to me that perhaps the best way to play these types of stocks was to set a desired sell level once you got within a 'stone's throw' away from your desired price and let the price 'come to you'.

Now I know that the stock could continue on above your desired price level and hence you would miss out on that additional profit however usually I have a price in mind that I believe is achievable out of a trade based on particular methodologies and if it went far beyond the target price then it would be more on the basis of luck than good analysis.

I don't want you to have to go to any more work than you already do but it would be a simple matter for the person setting the stop loss to let you know when it was achieved.

I've given you my view based on what I know now. In another 5 minutes that view might change because of additional information. It's the best I can do - Rudy

gdd3

Post Number: 1080

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 10:13 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rags,

You asked..."Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on having a nominated sell price exit."

I'm in favour of those who wish to nominate a simple profit or loss "sell" stop(not trailing, etc ok)either at the time of entering their stock in the competition(i.e.sometime B4 10:00am Mon. market open)OR between the close of market on one day and B4 the start of the next day...However, it can only be activated if the value of the stock traded at the stop price is equivalent to a min. of $5000(to keep this simple)

}As a suggestion, to make it easy on you RAGS, to gain the benefits of a claimed activated stop each contestant must advise by posting such advise by say 9.00pm on the day of the stop being activated otherwise you, RAGS, will constantly be having to amend you score sheets.

Cheers

Dolphin
}}

peterloh
Username: peterloh

Post Number: 3939

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 01:59 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rags,

Is it ok to call you that? Can I have the following entry, please?

peterloh SAR LC (that is long continued)

Cheers and have a nice week end.

Peter

-------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Please note that comments made in this column is mainly for the interpretation of charts in technical analysis. It is not made in my professional capacity and should not be taken as advice.In my professional capacity I am only allowed to give advice on certain managed funds authorised by my license dealer.Any share discuss is for general interest and should not be relied on to make an investment decision.It is likely that I may own the shares that we discussed as a trade or as an investment. Please consult your stock broker or financial adviser in regard to your personal situation.

The views expressed here contain information derived from public available sources that has not been independently verified.No representation or warranty is made as to the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information.Any forward looking information in this representation has been prepared on the basis of a number of assumptions which may prove to be incorrect.It should not be relied upon as a recommendation or forecast by the writer.

p3t3
Username: p3t3

Post Number: 56

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 04:52 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday

Results Table

Helping Rags out with some record keeping. This is how it looks right now. Let me know if something's wrong....but be gentle....I'm sensitive

gdd3

Post Number: 1088

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 06:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi p3t3...

A job well done; I've tried to replicate RAG's template on many occasion to also help but, alas, to no avail(I'm just hopeless with Excel). I'm sure all will approve including RAGs.

What would also help this competition is to get yourself, and other ODB'ers, to place an entry in each week(even occasionally) in this comp'n...just for fun, and as I've said before, no threat to EGO's or 'actual' trading practices! HOW ABOUT IT, p3t3!

Cheers
Dolphin

p3t3

Post Number: 57

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 06:46 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gdd3 wrote on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 06:23 pm:

HOW ABOUT IT, p3t3!

Hello Dolphin

It's......under consideration. But not my area of expertise.

I'll keep watching to see if I can get a better handle on the trading environment, and adapt my style to it.

My usual time horizon looks on three months as the extreme short term. As for one week.....fuhgedaboudit.

gdd3

Post Number: 1091

Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 12:38 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi p3t3,

If anyone currently entering could claim that they are an expert in Trading on the basis of opening a trade at Monday's open and close it on Friday at the close(or using the next day open price stop feature) and is actually using this as a "Trading Plan" and making consistent returns is simply nuts or extremely "lucky".

Me, personally, I don't believe in relying on (consistent) luck in the markets although I have to admit I've been one of the "luckiest" contestant in this comp'n over the years with some fabulous returns that have mostly out-performed my 'real' trading performances. Does this allow me to claim expertise as a short-term trader....an emphatic NO!!!

So p3t3, we certainly don't want you to "adapt/change your style"; the invitation was for you(and others) to just have a go and who knows you may have something to offer others or may even pick up a few 'shorter-term' trading tips to make some real short-term trades(if ever you get luck with your picks and 'grow in confidence')...not a bad idea in the current market environment. Remember, all I said above was...

"just for fun, ...., no threat to EGO's or 'actual' trading practices!"}

Dolphin}}}

p3t3

Post Number: 58

Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 02:34 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gdd3 wrote on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 12:38 pm:

...just for fun, ...., no threat to EGO's or 'actual' trading practices....

Hello Dolphin

....male human beings....stock picking....no threat to EGOs.... HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. Oh dear, best laugh I've had all week. Thanks.

About adapting style...the comp allows for LC picks, which I expect means that technically a person could make a single selection and hold for multiple weeks, or even the balance of the comp.....which would be more in line with my preferred selection style. Too boring for most comp participants, but I like boring....certainly a whole lot more than the downdrafts that accompany GFC-type events.

So, as I said....under consideration. Serious consideration. Yes, really....

You are very persuasive, though

p3t3

Post Number: 59

Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 02:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday - final update and setup for the coming week :

10 10 23

ragchewer

Post Number: 1020

Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 07:08 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi P3T3,

Fantastic work ,,,i really like the improvements well done Sir.

Rags

p3t3

Post Number: 81

Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 10:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 4 Scoreboard :

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
MLBivor02-Dec-10  01:59 pm
MOCivor02-Dec-10  01:48 pm
2010...Sept to Dec Challenge...week 9ehmu46 29-Nov-10  03:51 am
FAR ...Far Ltdgdd325-Nov-10  12:09 pm
2010...Sept to Dec Challenge...week 8p3t334 20-Nov-10  01:22 pm
Where Is Everyone?stampy18-Nov-10  03:26 pm
CRC - Cortona Resjimmyswell13-Nov-10  12:20 pm
2010...Sept to Dec Challenge...week 7p3t364 13-Nov-10  11:34 am
NCM and the HUIarcher09-Nov-10  09:24 pm