You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade the Bollonger Band Squeeze

2011...July to September Challenge...Week 5

Chart Forum » Stocks - ASX: short term (strictly TA) » Archive through December 20, 2011 » 2011...July to September Challenge...Week 5

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Thread  
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
p3t3
Username: p3t3

Post Number: 707

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 01:41 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the "June Solstice to September Equinox Challenge ".

This Challenge will start on the week beginning July 4th and run until September 30th over a period of 13 weeks. At the completion of that time an acknowledgement by way of the award of "(cyber) medals" of Gold, Silver and Bronze will be made to the top 3 achievers. Last place will also be acknowledged with the award of a "(cyber) wooden spoon".

This Weekly Comp is aimed at the non-professional market entrant with $5,000 drawn off his mortgage or credit card, a standard trading account and a day job (probably also with a wife and dependent kids).

For this stock tipping Challenge only a single entry will be allowed in any one trading week – being from Friday's close to the following Friday's close, unless original capital has been built up to $10,000 or more (see below). However, even for an entrant with an existing position, an LC (Long Continuous) or GTC (Good ‘Till Cancelled) entry posted before Friday’s close for the following week will not be rendered invalid by this rule. Entries posted will get the next available market open price for their entry, and Friday's close as the exit, unless otherwise specified (see below). The time-stamp of the posting will be used to determine which market open price is to be applied.

An intra-week "Stop" may be nominated on any day - Monday to Thursday - and will be taken as having been received after that day's market close. The closing price of the position will be the next day's open price, that being the nearest available exit price. Activating that "Stop" would close the entrant's position until the start of the following week, and no new position may be opened for the purposes of the Comp until then. A new pick may be nominated towards the end of the week in which the "Stop" was applied for the following week's trading.

Only long positions may be nominated, with a unit price no lower than $0-05. On any day that a stock closes below $0-05 an automatic stop will be applied on that day, using the close price for that day as the exit price. No entries for warrants, exchange traded options or other derivative products will be accepted, only entries of ASX tickers for ordinary shares and ASX ticker "Gold".

Nominations should be accompanied by a chart clearly showing the Technical Analysis used, with a short explanation of how that Technical Analysis is being applied. It is preferred that Incredible Charts software be used for chart postings.

"Long Continuous" (LC) positions maybe be nominated prior to 4pm on Friday to maintain a new or existing position into the following week, or the following Comp. "Good 'Till Cancelled" (GTC) positions may also be nominated before Friday's close, and will be treated as an LC with an automatic renewal, within the duration of the current Comp. Carry-over of GTC and LC positions into a new Comp will require notification by way of a post to the weekly thread prior to the last Friday close of the current Comp.

Any entrant who has not elected, by way of a post in the weekly thread, to use their "Stop", "Long Continuous" or "Good 'Till Cancelled" option, or has not had an automatic stop applied for a close below $0-05, will automatically receive Friday's close as their exit.

An entrant who has a position that goes into a Trading Halt will be required to retain that position until the stock resumes trading. Prior to resumption of trading they may request a "Stop" at the price at which trading is resumed. Otherwise normal rules for closing or retaining an open position apply.

Each entrant will be awarded a starting capital of $5,000 cyber-dollars and gains on positions will be added to that amount on a weekly basis, while losses will be subtracted from it. Anyone reaching a capital amount of $10,000 or more may split their cyber-capital into 2 positions, allocating 50% of their total capital to each if they so choose, or may continue to use their total capital on a single position.

Short term weekly awards for First, Second, Third and Last place (spoon) will be acknowledged and recorded. The amount of gain or loss on the weekly position will be applied to the entrant's accumulated capital.

Any new entrant to the challenge should feel free to ask for help regarding posting, as there are many here familiar with the conditions and methods used.

Please place your tips and chart here in this thread.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for -
in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car,
and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it. [Ellen Goodman - American journalist]

p3t3

Post Number: 708

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 01:44 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jaded said : jaded PEK LC

going out this arvo so will chart etc later.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for -
and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it. [Ellen Goodman - American journalist]

p3t3

Post Number: 709

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 01:47 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody - please re-read the rules, above.

Changes have been made to

accommodate intra-week entries, and
allow exit from a suspended stock at resumption of trading.

best
p3t3

jimmyswell
Username: jimmyswell

Post Number: 517

Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 10:22 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimmyswell MLM L

met

Oops, wrong \00/ Metallica \00/

m
Is what I meant to show.
A steady climb from 33c to 50c over the past month, with elevated volume over the past week.

rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 491

Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 08:09 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockon AYN L

Pullback to support on lower volume after last wednesdays' announcement.Plenty of support & resistance levels around but the lower volume over the last two days which has seen some heavy selling in other areas, is what I am hanging my pick on.

breaker_1
Username: breaker_1

Post Number: 363

Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 08:48 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DRM
gold stock on the way up
not much pullback on Fri
Do hold

The road to success is always under construction

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 266

Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 11:12 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gold one week spoon the other with a convincing hammering.
Il take EER L this week please P3t3,
price gapped up with supporting volume.
Weekly MACD indicators crossed and separating with the histogram diverging,
TMF begging to trend above zero

http://www.australiancattledogrescue.com/helpus.htm
Australian Cattle Dog Rescue are always looking for caring people to look after rescued dogs in the short term.
Pounds and shelters can only hold them for a very short period before they must be put down if no home is found.
Do you have room to look after a rescued dog until a permanent home can be found for him or her?
Australian Cattle Dogs - Loyal-Fun-Loving & Best Friend

stampy
Username: stampy

Post Number: 363

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 08:58 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stampy L CGM

I was expecting to get a LC on CGM on friday . it came back on the boards after 4pm.

Im not sure the settlement was all that good.

So ill go long again out of spite

Regards
Stampy

whiteowl
Username: whiteowl

Post Number: 159

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 09:53 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owl, JPR Long please

Looking for a buy at 5.1 c
MA's in place 10 > 30 > 150 and up
Taz setup but not triggered
Good $Vol kick last week.
Let see if it sparks this week

Good luck all
Hey my MWSNAP3 .png capture just broke .. chart in 15 mins

baggus
Username: baggus

Post Number: 105

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 09:58 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baggus, ARD, L

I'm not having a good run in this competition but hopefully I can start changing this situation. Still may be there is hope for me this week as there are not many entries; is that because of the new rule change?

I'll stick with last week's pick ARD as it seems to be consolidation still and short-term sells haven't been triggered yet although last Friday's volume is a bit of a worry.

gamefisherman
Username: gamefisherman

Post Number: 53

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 10:46 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning All

I have just read the new rules and congratulate all those whom were involved in creating a different way of running the competition. I hope that the operational side has not become too hard for you Pete.

I am assuming that from this we can now place an entry on any day during the week instead of having to post it by Monday, am I correct, or has my brain misinterpreted the rule changes?

Cheers and Best Wishes to All with their trades....:-)
Time to make some money!

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

whiteowl

Post Number: 160

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 11:21 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owl, JPR chart
.. after a reboot, dont you just love PCs
Hey Baggus, I reckon the 'any day' rule has delayed some entries till after the US has got past Aug 3rd.

p3t3

Post Number: 714

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 02:22 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

GameFisherman wrote : I am assuming that from this we can now place an entry on any day during the week instead of having to post it by Monday, am I correct

Yes GF, entries are no longer restricted to Monday, but are still restricted to one per week, unless starting capital has been doubled.

As for administrative load....we'll see. So far so good. Will take a little time to assess the impact of the rules changes.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,
I know it's here somewhere.....

stampy
Username: stampy

Post Number: 364

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 05:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SPITE

rules are very clear on this so i can't complain especially after i got my entry included last week.

I was silly enough to think i was going to be a LC right but i guess that easy to say isn't it!!

OH well maybe i can still do ok.

Good luck all
Thanks for doing all the hard work p3t3.

Regards
Stampy

p3t3

Post Number: 715

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 05:59 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 5, Monday :

Stampy has the early lead.
Steven is close behind.
Shawky and Owl have also made good starts.

Nice to see the balance of red shrinking in this table.

I haven't lost my mind,

breaker_1

Post Number: 364

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 08:17 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HiP3T3, it seems you may have missed me

espresso

Post Number: 267

Monday, August 01, 2011 - 08:34 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi P3t3,
I have made a mistake in my typing of the stock. I don’t have a problem if my selection becomes null and void, My choice of share is as the chart indicates, EEG and not EER as I have typed. if I need to stick with EER can I close out on open tomorrow please.
Cheers

Australian Cattle Dog Rescue are always looking for caring people to look after rescued dogs in the short term.
Pounds and shelters can only hold them for a very short period before they must be put down if no home is found.
Do you have room to look after a rescued dog until a permanent home can be found for him or her?

p3t3

Post Number: 716

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 01:26 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Breaker_1
Sorry Espresso - your intention to pick EEG is clear from the chart posted.
I should have picked up the discrepancy.

Week 5, Monday - adjusted :

I haven't lost my mind,

breaker_1

Post Number: 365

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 06:52 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou

ehmu
Username: ehmu

Post Number: 583

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 09:58 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See if I'm under the wire

ELM_ax please

chart to follow

_____ n a m a s t e

Every trade involves a gorgeous seller with goods, and an ugly buyer with money.

Not a recommendation to buy or sell equities

steven
Username: steven

Post Number: 6

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 10:00 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can i exit my position please in BKY

ehmu

Post Number: 584

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 10:04 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ELM_ax

breaking above resistance (144ema), from low volatility, with abnormal volume, above 50rsi, TMO positive

_____ n a m a s t e

Every trade involves a gorgeous seller with goods, and an ugly buyer with money.

gamefisherman
Username: gamefisherman

Post Number: 55

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 12:09 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone Gamefisherman SXY L please

Broken through 49.5 long term resistance with solid market depth.

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

p3t3

Post Number: 717

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 06:59 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 5, Tuesday :

Steven's exit looks timely.

Welcome Ehmu

Gamefisherman your pick was after today's open, so it will get tomorrow's.

I haven't lost my mind,

jaded
Username: jaded

Post Number: 643

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 09:54 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p3t3
please close me on the open price of PEK after trading halt lifts tomorrow or thursday.
I'm already on the Depth Ask but will be on screen tomorrow to manage my actual trade as seen fit.
Thursday morning though this is not the case.

anyhow have a number of discretionary points but these are FA/Gut instinct not suitable for mechanical,only TA "consumers" so take me out on Open of resumption price for this comp please.

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

espresso

Post Number: 270

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 10:48 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks P3t3,
You have enough on your plate as it is.
Thank you for your understanding and for the great job your doing especially with the new rules that have come into play. no question you will enjoy that glass of red by the end of the week
Cheers

p3t3

Post Number: 718

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 09:34 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p3t3 Exit YTC at the open.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 719

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 06:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 5, Wednesday :

Steven's timely exit is looking better all the time.

A tough day for the broader markets,
so this table is mostly holding up remarkably well.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 720

Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 05:32 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 5, Thursday :

Jaded's timely exit has moved him much closer to Steven's lead.
Baggus is the only other tipster remaining in the green.

I haven't lost my mind,

whiteowl

Post Number: 161

Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 11:18 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pete
So with my JPR the rule applies .. "any day that a stock closes below $0-05 an automatic stop will be applied"
All good, and the theory of having a close stop loss exit in dangerous times works too.
Thanks for your great work.
Cheers
Owl

ehmu

Post Number: 586

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 11:58 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pete:

Please exit ELM for me.

This should earn me the booby prize for my maiden voyage.

H

_____ n a m a s t e

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1477

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 12:41 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pete,

I really think for this competition to survive one must re-consider allowing (ASX approved) stocks that can be shorted. It was tried before and only "came a mess" because some participants claimed(founded or unfounded) their broker allowed you to short a particular stock that was not "on the ASX list" at the time or ever! "Short-Picking" is currently allowed in the "Annual Stock Picking Competition" run presently by Elizabeth...and no questions were asked!

I think it would be easily controlled by posting the allowed ASX list at the beginning of each week(as you would be aware it changes reasonably regularly)in order to make what stocks can be nominated for a "Short/Sell" pick.

Cheers
Dolphin}}

jaded
Username: jaded

Post Number: 644

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 01:20 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe dolphin you should volunteer to post the list every week?
Needn't be at the start of each Comp,you could put it updated in a subsection of the thread.

Can't volunteer myself.I'm such a luddite re computers that I can't even cut'n'paste but I think this suggestion shouldn't be put on pete to do the extra work.
BTW the previous "problems" were also caused by being able to short CFD's in a lot of companies as unofficial shorts.

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

p3t3

Post Number: 721

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 01:29 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dolphin said : for this competition to survive one must re-consider allowing (ASX approved) stocks that can be shorted

That really would add an order of magnitude to the complexity of the record keeping, which is currently struggling with the changes to allow intra-week entries...along with all the other enhancements added over the last few comps.

The additional record keeping might be tolerable on a monthly basis. Daily is rather a different matter.

I'm not sure how many current participants could readily take over the current scoreboard, which has acquired significant depth and complexity. Ongoing maintenance is going to be an issue, at some stage.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 722

Friday, August 05, 2011 - 04:58 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 5, Friday....before any protests :

Only the two early exits finished in the green. Anybody not feeling the pain?
Owl's automated exit for a close below $0-05 served him well.

Hal (Ehmu) you got a normal Friday exit, so your exit request wasn't actually
necessary. There was way too much pain in the small caps for you to end up
with the "booby prize", or the "wooden spoon" as it is in this country.

Shawky you're stuck with ILU into next week - I need an exit request posted
before Friday's close to get you out. Alternatively you can ask for it to become
a normal L at any time, then get a standard Friday exit.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 723

Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 5, no protests received, so final result :

If the top two placings look familiar its because they're exactly the same as last
week.

Well done Steven and Jaded - an excellent result for such a tough week.

I haven't lost my mind,

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
Gtg cup and and handlepalace11-Sep-11  02:49 pm
2011...July to September Challenge...Week 9ehmu34 09-Sep-11  01:28 am
2011...July to September Challenge...Week 8rockon85 05-Sep-11  09:56 am
BOW - Bow Energy Limiteddennis_menace27-Aug-11  03:03 pm
Qbe bear flagehmu21-Aug-11  03:47 am
2011...July to September Challenge...Week 7p3t329 20-Aug-11  07:52 pm
OK, if you must trade in this market!gdd318-Aug-11  11:19 am
2011...July to September Challenge...Week 6peterloh24 14-Aug-11  04:28 pm