You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade Trends with Bollonger Bands and Twiggs Money Flow

2011...July to September Challenge...Week 7

Chart Forum » Stocks - ASX: short term (strictly TA) » Archive through December 20, 2011 » 2011...July to September Challenge...Week 7

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Thread  
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
p3t3
Username: p3t3

Post Number: 730

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Friday, August 12, 2011 - 11:12 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the "June Solstice to September Equinox Challenge ".

This Challenge will start on the week beginning July 4th and run until September 30th over a period of 13 weeks. At the completion of that time an acknowledgement by way of the award of "(cyber) medals" of Gold, Silver and Bronze will be made to the top 3 achievers. Last place will also be acknowledged with the award of a "(cyber) wooden spoon".

This Weekly Comp is aimed at the non-professional market entrant with $5,000 drawn off his mortgage or credit card, a standard trading account and a day job (probably also with a wife and dependent kids).

For this stock tipping Challenge only a single entry will be allowed in any one trading week – being from Friday's close to the following Friday's close, unless original capital has been built up to $10,000 or more (see below). However, even for an entrant with an existing position, an LC (Long Continuous) or GTC (Good ‘Till Cancelled) entry posted before Friday’s close for the following week will not be rendered invalid by this rule. Entries posted will get the next available market open price for their entry, and Friday's close as the exit, unless otherwise specified (see below). The time-stamp of the posting will be used to determine which market open price is to be applied.

An intra-week "Stop" may be nominated on any day - Monday to Thursday - and will be taken as having been received after that day's market close. The closing price of the position will be the next day's open price, that being the nearest available exit price. Activating that "Stop" would close the entrant's position until the start of the following week, and no new position may be opened for the purposes of the Comp until then. A new pick may be nominated towards the end of the week in which the "Stop" was applied for the following week's trading.

Only long positions may be nominated, with a unit price no lower than $0-05. On any day that a stock closes below $0-05 an automatic stop will be applied on that day, using the close price for that day as the exit price. No entries for warrants, exchange traded options or other derivative products will be accepted, only entries of ASX tickers for ordinary shares and ASX ticker "Gold".

Nominations should be accompanied by a chart clearly showing the Technical Analysis used, with a short explanation of how that Technical Analysis is being applied. It is preferred that Incredible Charts software be used for chart postings.

"Long Continuous" (LC) positions maybe be nominated prior to 4pm on Friday to maintain a new or existing position into the following week, or the following Comp. "Good 'Till Cancelled" (GTC) positions may also be nominated before Friday's close, and will be treated as an LC with an automatic renewal, within the duration of the current Comp. Carry-over of GTC and LC positions into a new Comp will require notification by way of a post to the weekly thread prior to the last Friday close of the current Comp.

Any entrant who has not elected, by way of a post in the weekly thread, to use their "Stop", "Long Continuous" or "Good 'Till Cancelled" option, or has not had an automatic stop applied for a close below $0-05, will automatically receive Friday's close as their exit.

An entrant who has a position that goes into a Trading Halt will be required to retain that position until the stock resumes trading. Prior to resumption of trading they may request a "Stop" at the price at which trading is resumed. Otherwise normal rules for closing or retaining an open position apply.

Each entrant will be awarded a starting capital of $5,000 cyber-dollars and gains on positions will be added to that amount on a weekly basis, while losses will be subtracted from it. Anyone reaching a capital amount of $10,000 or more may split their cyber-capital into 2 positions, allocating 50% of their total capital to each if they so choose, or may continue to use their total capital on a single position.

Short term weekly awards for First, Second, Third and Last place (spoon) will be acknowledged and recorded. The amount of gain or loss on the weekly position will be applied to the entrant's accumulated capital.

Any new entrant to the challenge should feel free to ask for help regarding posting, as there are many here familiar with the conditions and methods used.

Please place your tips and chart here in this thread.

I haven't lost my mind,
I know it's here somewhere.....

jimmyswell
Username: jimmyswell

Post Number: 521

Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:19 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimmyswell PGS L
p
TA - Steady rise and slight volume increase during the past week of volatility suggests the market sees Planet Gas as a bargain. They haven't made any announcements since 2 Aug.

FA - Planet Gas has a foot in both camps - conventional oil and gas resources, coal bed methane (CBM), and geothermal energy.

stampy
Username: stampy

Post Number: 366

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 02:43 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stampy MLM

Havent had much luck this comp.

this looks ok

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 274

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 10:45 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi P3t3,
NSE LC please.
NSE has gone against the Market trend. Nice long green weekly candle covering the red candle from the previous week. Supporting above average volume. MACD trending above zero with indicators expanding in a rising direction. TMF maintaining positive territory.
Good Luck

http://www.australiancattledogrescue.com/helpus.htm
Australian Cattle Dog Rescue are always looking for caring people to look after rescued dogs in the short term.
Pounds and shelters can only hold them for a very short period before they must be put down if no home is found.
Do you have room to look after a rescued dog until a permanent home can be found for him or her?
Australian Cattle Dogs - Loyal-Fun-Loving & Best Friend

ehmu
Username: ehmu

Post Number: 606

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 09:57 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IGR_ax gtc please

bullish chart with rising tops and bottoms

above 150ma

_____ n a m a s t e

Every trade involves a gorgeous seller with goods, and an ugly buyer with money.

Not a recommendation to buy or sell equities

peterloh
Username: peterloh

Post Number: 4095

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 09:59 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peterloh HLX GTC

-------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Please note that comments made in this column is mainly for the interpretation of charts in technical analysis. It is not made in my professional capacity and should not be taken as advice.In my professional capacity I am only allowed to give advice on certain managed funds authorised by my license dealer.Any share discuss is for general interest and should not be relied on to make an investment decision.It is likely that I may own the shares that we discussed as a trade or as an investment. Please consult your stock broker or financial adviser in regard to your personal situation.

The views expressed here contain information derived from public available sources that has not been independently verified.No representation or warranty is made as to the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information.Any forward looking information in this representation has been prepared on the basis of a number of assumptions which may prove to be incorrect.It should not be relied upon as a recommendation or forecast by the writer.

peterloh

Post Number: 4096

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 01:20 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pete,

I have been told to clarify that I haven't changed my selection as I posted after the close and would have been treated as a sale on Monday opening. The result would have been the same, I elected to stick to my original GTC and did that before the market opened.

I hope that is clear enough, no changes to my selection, since I put it up initially as a GTC.

Regards,

Peter

Disclaimer: Please note that comments made in this column is mainly for the interpretation of charts in technical analysis. It is not made in my professional capacity and should not be taken as advice.In my professional capacity I am only allowed to give advice on certain managed funds authorised by my license dealer.Any share discuss is for general interest and should not be relied on to make an investment decision.It is likely that I may own the shares that we discussed as a trade or as an investment. Please consult your stock broker or financial adviser in regard to your personal situation.

The views expressed here contain information derived from public available sources that has not been independently verified.No representation or warranty is made as to the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information.Any forward looking information in this representation has been prepared on the basis of a number of assumptions which may prove to be incorrect.It should not be relied upon as a recommendation or forecast by the writer.

p3t3

Post Number: 734

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 01:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Peterloh wrote : I hope that is clear enough, no changes to my selection.....

Thanks Peter,

certainly clear enough to me. I'm happy to leave you in HLX GTC.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

jaded
Username: jaded

Post Number: 647

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 02:55 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p3t3,

I hate being always the one who puts forward Rule changes.Especially when I am incapable of taking on your job of Moderator/BookKeeper.

However I think the rule on GTC entries having to be cancelled before 4 pm Friday or otherwise they are carried over to the following week is un neccessary,discriminatory and against precedent.

It's been previously established that a Long Continue entered pre Friday close can be cancelled over the week end or before Monday's Open and a substitute entry for the current week made.

GTC entries were taken on so competitors did not need to renew their LC every week.Some competitors did not have computer access pre 4 pm yet wanted to put a long term pick into this short term weekly comp.From memory it was that trouble maker Hershy who had GTC entries implemented.

Anyhow it was never the intention that GTC entries could only be cancelled before the Week's Friday Comp Close otherwise they held over to the following week for cancelling.
Especially it was not envisaged that "fringe" competitors would be handicapped by time limiting any change of mind re their Good til Cancelled position.

I refer particularly to shawky's "case".

In general,p3t3 the comp rules were made "tight" because of past gamemanship tactics employed by a past member.Rules were interpreted by this "person" to gain self advantage by "clever" manipulation.
Happily you,pete,are not in a referee position but only an administrative one.

As such you should review the ruling on GTC entries and the procedure for cancellation.
No one expects to be able to make two entries in the one week.They just want the latitude to change their pick before Monday's Open if need be so the "Rule" should be

Cancellation/Stop put in After 10am Open Monday is that competitors allowed single weekly entry

or words to this effect.

cheers

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

p3t3

Post Number: 735

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 03:15 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jaded saud : "It's been previously established that a Long Continue entered pre Friday close can be cancelled over the week end or before Monday's Open and a substitute entry for the current week made."

Thanks for initiating this discussion, I think all discussion helps clarify the rules.

From my point of view a major change has been made to the comp as a result of allowing LC/Friday entry on positions not previously established. That change has meant that the trading week no longer begins on Monday's open, but in fact runs from Friday close to the following Friday close.

As a result I would be reluctant to allow cancellation of an LC pick over the weekend. In the real world an LC pick would result in a position established at Friday's close. The first available exit for that position would be Monday's open, and that exit would establish the position as the only one available to the tipster for the week, under the "one entry per week" rule.

Once the rules change previous precedents might become much less relevant, where they are in conflict with the new rule structure.

That's how I'm seeing it for now. I'm open to other views, and would certainly encourage participation in the discussion.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

jaded

Post Number: 648

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 04:10 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that seems logical your point,p3t3.So my suggestion is rejected on logical grounds.Fair enuf.

However you could consider dropping LC as a concept and substituting GTC as the only term for pre friday close entries?
or would this disrupt your score keeping programme?

Anyhow please close my GTC DYE entry on tomorrow's Open.
Gap this morning and observation Depth action leads me to conclude today is as good as it'll get this week % gain wise.

happy trading

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

p3t3

Post Number: 736

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 09:08 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 7, Monday :

It seems Jaded's excellent start has prompted him into an early exit.
Peterloh and Shawky certainly seem to be turning around their previous week's
results.

It does look like a lot of tipsters have become cautious.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 737

Monday, August 15, 2011 - 09:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jaded said : "...you could consider dropping LC as a concept and substituting GTC as the only term for pre friday close entries"

Thanks, Jaded, for the suggestion,

while it would not disrupt record keeping, and indeed might simplify it a little, I think there is still justification for keeping LC as an available option for now. It seems useful for people wanting short term exposure to a pick, just a couple of weeks, without the need to remember to request an exit before Friday's close.

That seems to be the object of Espresso's current LC pick, which was posted well after the Friday close and therefore must be an early notification that he wants the pick held over into the following week, but no further.

The LC option to stay in a pick for the following week was part of the original rules at the time I took over record keeping. I am trying to limit rule changes to those where there is a compelling reason to make the change - usually to better reflect real-world trading conditions.

Hope that makes some sense.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 493

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 05:54 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockon KAS L

Indecisive day on slightly lower volume yesterday may get a leg up today if market is positive again.

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1499

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 09:56 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dolphin, AZH, L

My I.C. version of a "Rounding bottom" continuation pattern hopefully will see 39c by Friday's close?

ehmu

Post Number: 608

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 10:21 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Peter:

A clarification regarding the exit rules for the contest. My apologies as you have likely already covered this before.

I'm thinking that the GTC is the best option for me and my style of watching the daily goings on, and deciding at the close whether to exit or not.

Am I legal with the GTC option to close a position after the close of the market for any day ?

And do I need to notify you of my new position for the following week, prior to the close of the markets the last trading day of the week, or alternatively prior to the open on the new week ?

Thanks
Hal

_____ n a m a s t e

Every trade involves a gorgeous seller with goods, and an ugly buyer with money.

p3t3

Post Number: 738

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 04:11 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Hal

I would urge you to re-read the rules, which comprise the opening post of this and every weekly thread.

Firstly, the trading week commences on the Friday close end extends to the following Friday close. The only exception is the first week of a new comp which begins on the Monday open for any trade not carried over from the previous comp.

Specifically - for exits :

notification of an exit posted (time-stamped) before the open of any day will get that day's open as the exit. That is true for all L, LC and GTC entries. The only over-ride is the automated Friday close exit for L and non-renewed LC positions.

for entries :

Entries posted on any day before the open (including any postings after the previous day's open) will get the first available open as their entry. The only exception is an LC or GTC entry posted before the Friday close, which will get that Friday's close as their entry. Also any stock which closes below $0-05 will have an automated exit applied at that day's close.

Entries and exits for different positions may not overlap in a single trading week - under the one stock per week rule - with the exception of Friday close entries as specified above.

hope that's clear
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 739

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 07:06 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 7, Tuesday :

Jaded's exit looks particularly timely - his pick closed $0-03 lower than its open.
Shawky's pick made a slight gain on a down day in the broader market.
Dolphin's delayed entry has made a positive start.

I haven't lost my mind,

ehmu

Post Number: 609

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 12:41 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p3t3 wrote on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 04:11 pm:

Specifically - for exits :

notification of an exit posted (time-stamped) before the open of any day will get that day's open as the exit. That is true for all L, LC and GTC entries.

for entries :

Entries posted on any day before the open (including any postings after the previous day's open) will get the first available open as their entry. The only exception is an LC or GTC entry posted before the Friday close, which will get that Friday's close as their entry.

Thanks Peter:

The above captions from your post answer my two questions.

I have an idea that may save you a lot of regurgitation of rules. Get Colin and his board administrator to set you up with a string that you can edit any time, but you and only you can edit, and no one else can post to. This string would be strictly for you posting the latest revision of the competition rules.

I did try to discern what the rules are and had difficulty sorting out the discussions and your conclusions to those discussions; from the official (your adjudicated) revised rules.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication to keep this going, hopefully in the future it will be less of a grind for you.

Hal

_____ n a m a s t e

gamefisherman
Username: gamefisherman

Post Number: 60

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 08:48 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gamefisherman DMP GTC please chart to follow TY

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

gamefisherman

Post Number: 61

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 09:45 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gamefisherman DMP GTC please

Whilst a quick look at the chart would indicate a late entry at present time given the past rise in share price, a rising ADX and MACD with a nice expansion in the Bollinger Bands may however give the opportunity for further price rises. Fundamentally DMP currently allowing a trading window for the exercise of options as a "one off". Two large trades yesterday would probably have been an example of the options exercised perhaps. Tight stop at a few clicks under yesterdays openings candle.

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

p3t3

Post Number: 740

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 11:08 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 7, Wednesday :

Jaded's timely exit has kept him in the lead.
Shawky is slowly creeping closer, though.
And new entrant EHMU has quietly climbed into the placings.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 741

Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:28 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 7, Thursday :

Jaded and Shawky retain the top places.
HLX is coming good for Peterloh.

I haven't lost my mind,

peterloh

Post Number: 4097

Friday, August 19, 2011 - 11:17 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pete,

Please close HLX(GTC) for me today. I will have VOR L for next week.

peterloh VOR L

cheers,

Peter

PS: Hope I am within the rules,as I haven't been following IC closely of late.

jaded

Post Number: 649

Friday, August 19, 2011 - 11:49 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jaded SHD LC

A significant upgrade of Iron Ore Resource incl DSO[direct shipping ore] to be made next week.
Company has had business,name and Management changes over last year.Basically they have been taken over by a private company in order to get a backdoor listing.Although 100's of millions of shares are on Issue some 90% are controlled by the newly appointed Managing Director leading to only a minor free float and limited liquidity[this one has a wide spread between bid and ask and it is difficult to accumulate even a $20,000 position.]

Anyhow this is a very significant Iron Ore deposit moving "respectably' towards near term production and Cash Flow with confirming JORC evidence being announced next week.I'm in from 8.6 cents for 50k #.
Will investors pay 15cents plus to establish an "investment" position with JORC confirmation?

The Market will decide.

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

gamefisherman

Post Number: 62

Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:16 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gamefisherman DMP, please close my position on DMP Thank You

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1505

Friday, August 19, 2011 - 03:57 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dolphin, AZH, LC...thanks Pierre

p3t3

Post Number: 743

Friday, August 19, 2011 - 08:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 7, Friday....before any protests :

Jaded's exit proved to be a winning move.
Peterloh and Ehmu survived the market volatility best.

JimmySwell you'd have been stopped out for a close under $0-05, except the
normal Friday exit intervened.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 746

Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 07:52 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 7, no protests received....so final outcome :

A very tough week, where Jaded made a perfect exit decision and was
appropriately rewarded.

Great stock picking by Peterloh and Ehmu.

All who finished above the red, or not too far down into it, should consider
themselves to have done particularly well.

I haven't lost my mind,

Threads by Last Post Time:

First 0 1 2 3 4 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»