You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade the Bollonger Band Squeeze

2011...July to September Challenge...Week 11

Chart Forum » Stocks - ASX: short term (strictly TA) » Archive through December 20, 2011 » 2011...July to September Challenge...Week 11

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Thread  
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
p3t3
Username: p3t3

Post Number: 794

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the "June Solstice to September Equinox Challenge ".

This Challenge will start on the week beginning July 4th and run until September 30th over a period of 13 weeks. At the completion of that time an acknowledgement by way of the award of "(cyber) medals" of Gold, Silver and Bronze will be made to the top 3 achievers. Last place will also be acknowledged with the award of a "(cyber) wooden spoon".

This Weekly Comp is aimed at the non-professional market entrant with $5,000 drawn off his mortgage or credit card, a standard trading account and a day job (probably also with a wife and dependent kids).

For this stock tipping Challenge only a single entry will be allowed in any one trading week – being from Friday's close to the following Friday's close, unless original capital has been built up to $10,000 or more (see below). However, even for an entrant with an existing position, an LC (Long Continuous) or GTC (Good ‘Till Cancelled) entry posted before Friday’s close for the following week will not be rendered invalid by this rule. Entries posted will get the next available market open price for their entry, and Friday's close as the exit, unless otherwise specified (see below). The time-stamp of the posting will be used to determine which market open price is to be applied.

An intra-week "Stop" request may be posted on any day. If posted on a trading day before the day's open it will receive that day's open price as the exit price. If posted after the open the exit price will be the next day's open price, that being the nearest available exit. Activating that "Stop" would close the entrant's position until the start of the following week, and no new position may be opened for the purposes of the Comp until then. A new pick may be nominated towards the end of the week in which the "Stop" was applied for the following week's trading.

Only long positions may be nominated, with a unit price no lower than $0-05. On any day that a stock closes below $0-05 an automatic stop will be applied on that day, using the close price for that day as the exit price. No entries for warrants, exchange traded options or other derivative products will be accepted, only entries of ASX tickers for ordinary shares and ASX ticker "Gold".

Nominations should be accompanied by a chart clearly showing the Technical Analysis used, with a short explanation of how that Technical Analysis is being applied - NOTE - failure to do this could result in disqualification of the entry. It is preferred that Incredible Charts software be used for chart postings.

"Long Continuous" (LC) positions maybe be nominated prior to 4pm on Friday to maintain a new or existing position into the following week, or the following Comp. "Good 'Till Cancelled" (GTC) positions may also be nominated before Friday's close, and will be treated as an LC with an automatic renewal, within the duration of the current Comp. Carry-over of GTC and LC positions into a new Comp will require notification by way of a post to the weekly thread prior to the last Friday close of the current Comp.

Any entrant who has not elected, by way of a post in the weekly thread, to use their "Stop", "Long Continuous" or "Good 'Till Cancelled" option, or has not had an automatic stop applied for a close below $0-05, will automatically receive Friday's close as their exit.

An entrant who has a position that goes into a Trading Halt will be required to retain that position until the stock resumes trading. Prior to resumption of trading they may request a "Stop" at the price at which trading is resumed. Otherwise normal rules for closing or retaining an open position apply.

Each entrant will be awarded a starting capital of $5,000 cyber-dollars and gains on positions will be added to that amount on a weekly basis, while losses will be subtracted from it. Anyone reaching a capital amount of $10,000 or more may split their cyber-capital into 2 positions, allocating 50% of their total capital to each if they so choose, or may continue to use their total capital on a single position.

Short term weekly awards for First, Second, Third and Last place (spoon) will be acknowledged and recorded. The amount of gain or loss on the weekly position will be applied to the entrant's accumulated capital.

Any new entrant to the challenge should feel free to ask for help regarding posting, as there are many here familiar with the conditions and methods used.

Please place your tips and chart here in this thread.

I haven't lost my mind,
I know it's here somewhere.....

p3t3

Post Number: 795

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 07:30 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rockon said : rockon SVL GTC

Chart later.

quote:

Peterloh said : peterloh VOR LC

Should continue with its good work

quote:

Stampy said : Stampy LC TVN

I haven't lost my mind,

stampy
Username: stampy

Post Number: 375

Friday, September 09, 2011 - 07:50 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockon
Username: rockon

Post Number: 507

Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 05:54 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green recently crossed red, green retested red, green expanding, red contracting, both turned up slightly for now anyway.

peter1
Username: peter1

Post Number: 244

Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 05:14 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peter1 MGO L

A good looking BO candidate with rising TMF(=demand).

MGO21

elisabeth
Username: elisabeth

Post Number: 634

Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 05:42 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elisabeth CVN L

Adam and Eve bottom, Bolls narrow, TMF kicked up above zero, good relative volume Friday. All going well, initial target is the gap close, then a break through 20c to test 24c again.

CVN

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 289

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 12:45 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NGF L please, price maintaining its up trend, with supporting volume, MACD indicators separating and moving above zero. TMF continues to maintain its line in an uptrend. On the weekly the price is trading above the 200EMA. Thanks P3t3.

Please take some time to think about the people and things you care most about in your life.
After taking care of your loved ones, please include a gift to your favourite charities in your will.
Include a charity week 12-18 September 2011. http://includeacharity.com.au

baggus
Username: baggus

Post Number: 109

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:00 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baggus. NMG, L

Chart coming

gamefisherman
Username: gamefisherman

Post Number: 72

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:01 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gamefisherman ABU L please

After running hard since significant drill results and pushing through long term resistance with volume of 5.8, the question now is will there be more in the tank. Lol just saw an announcement which will blow the open but indicators imo show further upside.

Best Wishes to All

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

gamefisherman

Post Number: 73

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:06 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gamefisherman, hi P3t3 and all, just noticed my time stamp was 10.01 so assume this entry in invalid? Happy to stick with it but as I have missed the open by seconds, I assume this entry will now be void. My apologies. Please advise. Will find another or re-post entry tonight or tomorrow morning.

Cheers
GF

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

baggus
Username: baggus

Post Number: 110

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 10:33 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baggus's Chart for NMG

A little pennant in the upper part of a larger pennant and many indicators moving higher but not too high I think should mean this stock with go above the previous three tops.

p3t3

Post Number: 800

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 11:33 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

GameFisherman wrote : hi P3t3 and all, just noticed my time stamp was 10.01 so assume this entry in invalid?

Hello GameFisherman,

I've accepted a 10:01 timestamped entry from Stampy in the past - on the basis that it can take longer than 1 minute to do a post, and there doesn't seem to be a significant advantage gained - and also indicated that it is the limit of my tolerance.

A 10:02 timestamp would certainly be invalid - and I think we'd all prefer entries which didn't push the limits. If it looks like becoming a problem I could put a limit on the number of times a 10:01 entry will be accepted from an individual entrant.

So - a valid entry this time. Thanks for drawing attention to the timestamp.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

gamefisherman

Post Number: 74

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 12:24 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi P3t3

Thank You for allowing the entry on this occassion. It was certainly a once off as it was the first time that I have added two charts ie daily and weekly. Appreciate the feedback and note your comments about your limit of tolerance etc..

Cheers
GF

jimmyswell
Username: jimmyswell

Post Number: 529

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 08:42 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimmyswell NSE L
n
I'm a day late due to travel.
Solid climber over the past week including Monday, which was a bad day for the ASX.

p3t3

Post Number: 801

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 01:33 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 11, Monday :

What a day for the week's start, though Baggus has certainly made the best
of it.

Overnight markets are down, but there is some evidence of buyer support in
places.

Time for me to 'fess up : I'll be in the UK and Ireland until the 9th/10th October.

Updates are going to be a bit - or more than a bit - sporadic, where they are
possible at all, particularly after 20th September. I've been able to maintain
updates from across the country, but from across the world looks like a whole
new ball of wax.

I'm reluctant to call for volunteers to take up the slack - the scoreboard has
become a bit of a beast with all the rule changes. I'll just have to ask
participants to cut me some slack - and I'll do what I can to keep posting as
regularly as I can manage.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 802

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 01:45 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p3t3 HGG GTC :

Investment manager, UK based and dual listed. Previously part of AMP.

Perhaps a bit too soon - definitely pre-empting on this one, but some nice signs for an intermediate
time-frame.

I haven't lost my mind,

ehmu
Username: ehmu

Post Number: 660

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Peter:

Internet cafes abound in Europe, the orient, and the middle east, so it may not be as much of a problem as you might think.

Unless of course you are in the boondocks, or hiking from one coast to another. In which case, running water may be more of a concern.

You of anyone has earned a long leash. You have my proxy to enjoy your trip to the max. If you drop in occasionally you could post a memorable photo for our amusement.

best

ps
Looks like it might be difficult to make any money on the long side for several months after your departure at any rate.

_____ Hal

.......Not a recommendation to buy or sell equities

msparks
Username: msparks

Post Number: 1426

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 07:30 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
MTU L

Have a great trip p3t3 you lucky buggar !!!
Not being picky and anything can happen but i cannot see why you picked that one in a long only comp ...lol

Not sure i should be punting against this market but it stopped in the US overnight.(maybe short covering rally)
I think CBA would be a wiser bet this week to recover some of the falls from yesterday.

I might be a day late with this one but it does look ready to fly, macd up, stochastic up, and volumes up.

"I have my own unique system "
"I manage to lose money in bull and in bear markets "

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1528

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 09:59 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dolphin, SRI, L

"In for a penny in for a pound"...SRI is in the TAZ set-up zone, could has a Rising Three(which can be R4) if we get above 18c today on the back of a Dominant Candle early last week. Only negative I see is that she has givin a potention W%R14 sell(break of support line) as of yesterday which may suggest it has a bit of churning to go through before

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1529

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 10:19 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops, sorry about that folks...got carried away whilst watching the tennis and didn't realise I was so close to "cut-off" time!

Dolphin, SRI, L((09:59)

"In for a penny in for a pound"...SRI is in the TAZ set-up zone, could have a Rising Three(which can be R4) if we get above 18c today on the back of a Dominant Candle early last week. Only negative I see is that she has given a potential W%R14 sell(break of support line) as of yesterday which may suggest it has a bit of churning to go through before continuing its uptrend.

Hey, Pete...is there any truth in the rumour that the UK/Irish Govt's are "flying" you over their to sort out their financial mess....you'd very likely do a much better job! Have a great trip(I always believed late September/early October was the best time to visit as you usually get more sunny day's and the other tourists have vacated the place).

Dolphin

p3t3

Post Number: 803

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 08:30 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 11, Tuesday :

JimmySwell's late start has seen him jump into the lead.

Stampy and Baggus are doing well to remain in the green.

An up day for the broader market, but risk aversion is seeing small caps still
being punished.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 804

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 08:47 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ehmu said : Unless of course you are in the boondocks...

Will be taking in some of the more remote parts of the Irish West Coast, and perhaps Northern Scotland, but not sure that qualifies as the "boonies".

quote:

MSparks said : ...but i cannot see why you picked that one in a long only comp ...lol

Some of my picks are pure....um....gut....or something. Perhaps some less-than-logical factors include : UK based investment manager, with an Oz CEO. An interesting prospect for the likes of NAB, which has a combination of Investment Management and Banking operations in this country, but only Banking in the UK. And currently looking at a deal in the UK to get-bigger-or-get-out. Just prickled my "strategy" sensor. Hence the need for a longer time-frame.

quote:

Dolphin said : ....is there any truth in the rumour that the UK/Irish Govt's are "flying" you over their to sort out their financial mess....

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 290

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 09:03 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi P3t3,
Just read your post, Have a wonderful holiday.
cheers
George

Please take some time to think about the people and things you care most about in your life.
After taking care of your loved ones, please include a gift to your favourite charities in your will.
Include a charity week 12-18 September 2011. http://includeacharity.com.au

gamefisherman

Post Number: 75

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 09:11 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi p3t3

Have a great trip and may you bring back some forward momentum upon your return. Really hope it is relaxing and enjoyable for you and no doubt well deserved. Good on you!!

Best Wishes
GF

msparks

Post Number: 1429

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 09:46 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just did a quick lookup for anyone waiting to go to bed, based on last nights sheet entry data
i hope it is accurate ......it could not get much worse could it?

p3t3

Post Number: 805

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 10:29 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 11, Wednesday :

Baggus back on top.

Not a healthy-looking table - too much red.

Thanks for helping out with updates MSparks - your efforts are appreciated.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 806

Friday, September 16, 2011 - 02:39 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 11, Thursday :

Baggus still leading.

Tough trading conditions persisting.

I haven't lost my mind,

gamefisherman

Post Number: 76

Friday, September 16, 2011 - 01:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gamefisherman PIR L please for next week

Cheers
GF

msparks

Post Number: 1432

Friday, September 16, 2011 - 02:28 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey p3t3

Not a bad gut feel you have there....

intra-day update

p3t3

Post Number: 809

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 01:08 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 11, Friday...before any protests :

Baggus appears to have taken her first gold, after what has been for her a
difficult comp, as it has been for many of us.

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 810

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 03:24 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

MSparks said : Not a bad gut feel you have there....

Actually the "strategy sensor" isn't too bad, but not usually on this short a time-frame. In fact the early move has me more cautious....if it looks like a false move I'll seriously consider an exit and re-entry approach.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

ehmu
Username: ehmu

Post Number: 666

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 03:33 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ELM_ax please, long continuous:

Breaking out from a back test of 34ema as well as a back test of the mid term down trend (light blue).

Breaking with abnormal volume (five times 21ema).

Breaking from low volatility.

Breaking from back test of "0" crossing of TMO.

Breaking from back test of 50RSI.

Breaking 50% retracement of previous rally.

Not shown this chart: TMF bullish, macd bullish, and W%R bouncing off of -50% bullishly.

Target $2-$2.3

_____ Hal

.......Not a recommendation to buy or sell equities

p3t3

Post Number: 812

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 04:22 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 11, no protests received....so final outcome :

First gold for Baggus in this comp....and most welcome I'm sure.

Three bronze awards, for three tipsters equal in third place.

I haven't lost my mind,

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
2011...October to December Challenge...Week 4p3t322 29-Oct-11  04:42 pm
Market in enquire stage?????jimmyswell27-Oct-11  01:48 pm
2011...October to December Challenge...Week 3p3t326 22-Oct-11  09:12 pm
2011...October to December Challenge...Week 2p3t324 15-Oct-11  05:56 pm
What's a satisfactory goal? ...asks Dolphin...gdd313 10-Oct-11  07:26 pm
2011...October to December Challenge...Week 1p3t325 09-Oct-11  08:43 pm
2011 : July - September Compounding Scoreboardp3t313 01-Oct-11  08:09 pm
2011...July to September Challenge...Week 13p3t320 01-Oct-11  08:02 pm