You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

TSX Stocks 15-minute delayed

TA indicators to discover if a stock is "pumped and dumped"

Chart Forum » Stocks - ASX: short term (strictly TA) » Archive through January 17, 2013 » TA indicators to discover if a stock is "pumped and dumped"

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Thread  
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
gamefisherman
Username: gamefisherman

Post Number: 119

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 05:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All

Just wondering from peoples knowledge and experience if you could shed some light on an area of TA indicators to assist me in identify if a stock is being "pumped and dumped" As this is an area of trading that I need to build my knowledge around and am sure others too, I would be most grateful for contributions.

Lastly what are peoples interpretations of the term "pumped and dumped and how does it work"? For example if a large institution wishes to attempt to fly under the radar an attempt to show that they are dumping the stock do they use compter trading programs to pump and dump as well?

Cheers
GF

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

msparks
Username: msparks

Post Number: 1502

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 06:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi GF

Not sure you can know these things unless you are the pumper and dumper.(assuming you mean pumped by using a large account to buy up the price )

The only thing you can control is having a stop loss that won't get gapped over hopefully.
(and your entry price and risk)

You might be looking to control things outside your circle of control .....

is BTR pumped or is CSE pumped ???

"I have my own unique system "
"I manage to lose money in bull and in bear markets "

gamefisherman

Post Number: 120

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 05:06 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi msparks

apologies for the late reply as at present i am occupied with work in major way so are not in a position to give my trading the time it needs...

in saying that I probably did not explain the question well enough but appreciate your reply. I did not mean the illegal practice of where a stock is talked up whilst the same people are selling it.....I meant to say one of the challenges I am many traders face is to how to recognize when some of the big hedge funds/institutions and traders are "playing with a stock". For example on the live screens I notice with some stocks that all of a sudden the ticker of trades will be crazy one way indicating buying (initially) then in the afternoon say for example it is sold off dramatically and for example closes below the previous days open. Then a day later it keeps going up and up or the stock continues to slide.

You are right to in saying that a stop loss figure placed as soon as the order is filled will hopefully save you (subject to a dredded gap down). I guess it is experience and more learning that is needed to help with this.

eg BTR on the 23rd Feb and 24th you may have assumed had done its dash they look what happened in the coming days.......it was pumped and pumped and returned some 80-90% depending on when you exited....

Cheers
GF

Again thank you for your reply..

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

jimmyswell
Username: jimmyswell

Post Number: 565

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 06:53 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno if Jaded/Dug is still lurking on this site.
He's been very quite of late.
He posed some very interesting thoughts on institutions' behaviour regarding vacuuming sitting bids above/below certain unexplained thresholds.
It would be worth checking out some of his threads over the past year or so for some insights.

gamefisherman

Post Number: 121

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 04:56 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi JS

Thank you for your reply. Will have a look at those posts by
Jaded for more info.....

Cheers
GF

jaded
Username: jaded

Post Number: 665

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 10:42 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

read Colin's Education Thread Trading/Strategies on Trading Traps/Pump and Dump for starters.

To my knowledge there's only the Twigg Money Flow for Accumulation or Distribution indication.It's flawed though,imho.

I use a complicated method of Market Depth and Course/Curse of Sales and read implications into parcel sizes.
There's new theories of Volume Analysis out that tries to track the Smart Money but it is geared to very High Volume Shares,the use of Shorting and is imho only "interesting" not so much useful in Small Cap Shares.

There's a cove down d'Barbque all intense on analysing Manipulation. He's in a 2 cent share that has the ironic name of AntiSense Theraputics,gee jimmyswell if ya want a daily dose of 1000 words on the inner workings of the Share Market Conspiracy?He's the one to go to and what's more all the devotees/pilgrims to Mammon lap it up
Makes Sense to them!! [lol]

anyhow,jimmy apologies for not replying to your pm but the Daily Reckoning is crock.
and GameFisherman I don't think wading thru my coupla 1000 posts will be much help.

Buy Retraces and not Rockets. Buy on or near Support not Resistance. Use a Stop Loss and understand that Price Movement is
40% General Market Sentiment [How the DOW is going]
30% what the Sector is Doing
and only 30% specific company related

oh and it's called Smart Money because it don't pay premiums.It does not seek Long Term Investment but Short Term Trade
ie Institutions/Hedge Funds etc are Not Warren Buffett
[aka wassa buff]
They chiefly do Arbitrage

but you go find out for yaself,if ya Game.I may be able to answer some sensible questions but am not going to write 1000 word expose or theories for the mildly curious.

happy trading

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

gamefisherman

Post Number: 124

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 03:54 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jaded

Thank you for the response......hmmm I will do some research and do intend to have a look at a few of the posts mentioned above.

"Buy Retraces and not Rockets. Buy on or near Support not Resistance. Use a Stop Loss and understand that Price Movement is
and only 30% specific company related "

The above comment is interesting, out of interest how is the above calculation derived or is it a shared general sentiment amongst experienced traders?

Cheers
GF

jaded
Username: jaded

Post Number: 666

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 07:56 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask emhu GF.
He used a variation just recently in this Forum's only active thread.
Yeah it's a market maxim.OK? it's not something Original to moi OK?

gamefish you're the subtitled
"RICH"
Social Worker from Melbourne.

Just a "tip" ya don't wanna play with jaded.

There is Manipulation but basically it's very Legal'
just a matter of if ya a Prat
or reaaaly wanna play.

and gamefish I don't really care which "place" ya aspire to.[prat or pilgrim]

Around here? this Forum? well ya gunner go Mechanical,join d'Mob.

Want a TA indicator on d'Pump?

Free and Gratis do a Parabolic Trend Line and when it breaks?
Sell!!

now surely a 37yo social worker from Melbourne can do a Parabolic Trend Line?

now if they can? can they get and be on one?

well that's another question.

maybe msparks can tell ya how to find a Parabolic?

perhaps even only tell ya what the flaming hell it is !!

happy trading

" Hear what you Say...
But see what you Do!"

Sir Zelman Cowen c 1970.

whiteowl
Username: whiteowl

Post Number: 171

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 01:09 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jaded

Nice to hear your d'voiciferous comments . spell check OK ?
and only 30% specific company related

Absolutely agree
When the DOW decides to get nasty, XJO had better watch out
Meanwhile, I am going with the DOW up, ASX trying hard flow

Cheers, Owl

gamefisherman

Post Number: 125

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 08:30 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jaded

I have to say that after reading your "tip" I was somewhat Jaded........lol

Thanx for the insights

Cheers
GF

US Stocks 15-minute delayed

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
2012 March to June Challenge, Week 2stampy32 15-Apr-12  05:06 pm
2012 March to June Challenge, Week 1p3t340 11-Apr-12  05:48 pm
AQRespresso22 02-Apr-12  09:41 pm
2012 : January - March Compounding Scoreboardmsparks20 02-Apr-12  10:48 am
2012 January to March Challenge, Week 13 ***Final Week***surferdude34 02-Apr-12  07:30 am
2012 January to March Challenge, Week 12p3t336 24-Mar-12  07:21 pm
DTE pre open sale of 12million shares at 34.5cgamefisherman22-Mar-12  01:57 pm
NWE - On The Movegamefisherman22-Mar-12  08:31 am
GRR Grange Resources - Massive Spike in volumegamefisherman18-Mar-12  11:44 pm
2012 January to March Challenge, Week 11p3t336 18-Mar-12  12:50 am
2012 January to March Challenge, Week 10p3t346 10-Mar-12  10:46 pm
2012 January to March Challenge, Week 9p3t337 05-Mar-12  10:39 pm
POHstampy05-Mar-12  04:28 pm
2012 January to March Challenge, Week 8p3t334 25-Feb-12  06:21 pm

Threads by Last Post Time:

First Previous 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out