You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Trade the Bollonger Band Squeeze

2012 March to June Challenge, Week 2

Chart Forum » Stocks - ASX: short term (strictly TA) » Archive through January 17, 2013 » 2012 March to June Challenge, Week 2

««  «  Previous  Next  »  »»

Thread  
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
p3t3
Username: p3t3

Post Number: 1144

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Friday, April 06, 2012 - 08:35 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the "March Equinox to June Solstice Challenge".

This Challenge will start on the week beginning April 2nd and run until June 29th over a period of 13 weeks. At the completion of that time an acknowledgement by way of the award of "(cyber) medals" of Gold, Silver and Bronze will be made to the top 3 achievers. Last place will also be acknowledged with the award of a "(cyber) wooden spoon".

This Weekly Comp is aimed at the non-professional market entrant with $5,000 drawn off his mortgage or credit card, a standard trading account and a day job (probably also with a wife and dependent kids).

For this stock tipping Challenge only a single entry will be allowed in any one trading week – being from Friday's close to the following Friday's close, unless original capital has been built up to $10,000 or more (see below). However, even for an entrant with an existing position, an LC (Long Continuous) or GTC (Good ‘Till Cancelled) entry posted before Friday’s close for the following week will not be rendered invalid by this rule. Entries posted will get the next available market open price for their entry, and Friday's close as the exit, unless otherwise specified (see below). The time-stamp of the posting will be used to determine which market open price is to be applied.

An intra-week "Stop" request may be posted on any day. If posted on a trading day before the day's open it will receive that day's open price as the exit price. If posted after the open the exit price will be the next day's open price, that being the nearest available exit. Activating that "Stop" would close the entrant's position until the start of the following week, and no new position may be opened for the purposes of the Comp until then. A new pick may be nominated towards the end of the week in which the "Stop" was applied for the following week's trading.

Only long positions may be nominated, with a unit price no lower than $0-05. On any day that a stock closes below $0-05 an automatic stop will be applied on that day, using the close price for that day as the exit price. No entries for warrants, exchange traded options or other derivative products will be accepted, only entries of ASX tickers for ordinary shares and ASX ticker "Gold".

Nominations should be accompanied by a chart clearly showing the Technical Analysis used, with a short explanation of how that Technical Analysis is being applied - Please Note: failure to do this could result in disqualification of the entry. It is preferred that Incredible Charts software be used for chart postings.

"Long Continuous" (LC) positions maybe be nominated prior to 4pm on Friday to maintain a new or existing position into the following week, or the following Comp, and will receive the Friday close as their open price for the position into the new week's trading. "Good 'Till Cancelled" (GTC) positions may also be nominated before Friday's close, and will be treated as an LC with an automatic renewal, within the duration of the current Comp. Carry-over of GTC and LC positions into a new Comp will require notification by way of a post to the weekly thread prior to the last Friday close of the current Comp. If a pick is in Trading Halt at the end of a Comp that pick will be closed at the last traded price, unless the entrant elects to carry the pick into the new Comp, which would require that election to be notified by way of a post prior to the final Friday close of the old Comp.

Any entrant who has not elected, by way of a post in the weekly thread, to use their "Stop", "Long Continuous" or "Good 'Till Cancelled" option, or has not had an automatic stop applied for a close below $0-05, will automatically receive Friday's close as their exit.

An entrant who has a position that goes into a Trading Halt will be required to retain that position until the stock resumes trading. Prior to resumption of trading they may request a "Stop" at the price at which trading is resumed. Otherwise normal rules for closing or retaining an open position apply.

Each entrant will be awarded a starting capital of $5,000 cyber-dollars and gains on positions will be added to that amount on a weekly basis, while losses will be subtracted from it. Anyone reaching a capital amount of $10,000 or more may split their cyber-capital into 2 positions, allocating 50% of their total capital to each if they so choose, or may continue to use their total capital on a single position.

Short term weekly awards for First, Second, Third and Last place (spoon) will be acknowledged and recorded. The amount of gain or loss on the weekly position will be applied to the entrant's accumulated capital.

Any new entrant to the challenge should feel free to ask for help regarding posting, as there are many here familiar with the conditions and methods used.

Please place your tips and chart here in this thread.

I haven't lost my mind,
I know it's here somewhere.....

jimmyswell
Username: jimmyswell

Post Number: 573

Monday, April 09, 2012 - 10:43 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimmyswell SXY L
s
Senex is a Shale oil company.
A green candle after a week of retrace suggests to me that it is about to resume the upward trajectory of the past few months.

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1641

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:59 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DOLPHIN, NDO, L

Hey, Jimmy...I'll keep you honest and go for NDO...I think she's completing a TAZ "cluster" set-up right on the 30EMA and just above the 150EMA. Both W%R's are starting to be 'rounding -up' from desired levels and we are in the final stages of 'back-tested' the breakout point or its previous 'bottoming range'(providing good support @ 5.2c).

Now how's that for talking up a stock!

Cheers
Dolphin

p3t3

Post Number: 1148

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 05:51 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 2, Tuesday :

Only the unmoved entrants have avoided losses.

A quiet start to another short week, understandable given Friday's US
non-farm payrolls number, and the subsequent reactions of international
markets.

the broader picture :

I haven't lost my mind,

surferdude
Username: surferdude

Post Number: 80

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 06:19 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close RMD for me please. It's tempting to hang on and see if it recovers but a close below the stop is what it is

"Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs."
- Vaclav Havel

canoz
Username: canoz

Post Number: 10

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 08:15 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi P3T3, please close LNG for me. It's not behaving as I would have hoped.

elisabeth
Username: elisabeth

Post Number: 682

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 03:26 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pete, please can I have CAZ at whenever the next entry is. Chart soon... Thank you

p3t3

Post Number: 1150

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 05:33 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 2, Wednesday :

Quite a move by TLG for Espresso, on a very down day for much of the
market.

The broader picture:

I haven't lost my mind,

elisabeth
Username: elisabeth

Post Number: 683

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 06:18 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chart (on yesterday’s data) for CAZ L

CAZ came up on my (faulty) TAZ scan this morning and looked like it could repeat the move of early March although the move down this time has been more volatile. Volume has come in today, hopefully there will be some momentum to take the share higher.

There is a resistance zone between 33 and 37 cents, so it may hover in this area for a while.

Pete, is it today's close (33c) for my entry? Or tomorrow's open?

CAZ

p3t3

Post Number: 1152

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 06:30 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Elisabeth said :... is it today's close (33c) for my entry? Or tomorrow's open?

Tomorrow's open Elisabeth

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

espresso
Username: espresso

Post Number: 386

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 06:51 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
I truly am confused so I'm putting it out there for the opinion of others.

how is it that TLG moved 10.29% on total of 16,300 shares
yet others that trade over the average volume and not moved at all.
espresso

msparks
Username: msparks

Post Number: 1536

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 06:41 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably a tazzer buying in

10% in a day is a good move
thought gold stocks would go up yesterday but none of the others did

it has been a steep move up to resistance for this one

"I have my own unique system "
"I manage to lose money in bull and in bear markets "

p3t3

Post Number: 1153

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 06:23 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 2, Thursday :

Espresso's TLG has managed to hold most of its gains.
JimmySwell has retained the silver position, despite a small slip in the SXY
price.
Canoz has moved into the bronze through the stability of his LNG position.

The broader market :

I haven't lost my mind,

gamefisherman
Username: gamefisherman

Post Number: 161

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 07:52 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi p3t3

I would be grateful if you could clarify the rules for me around the following.

1. If I nominate an any type of entry prior to market open tomorrow will I get the open price tomorrow morning?

2. If I nominate an LC entry prior to market open tomorrow but the trade goes against me, am I correct in saying that as long as I nominate to have the trade closed prior to market close tomorrow I will receive the closing price as my exit price?

3. If I nominate a L entry prior to open tomorrow am I correct in assuming that as long as I change the type of entry ie from L to LC the trade entry will then carry over until next week and I will get the close for Friday for this weeks comp and next week the open price on Monday?

My apologies as I am sure these questions probably have been asked before, but I just wanted to clarify for sure.
PS I tried to write the questions so you could either respond with a yes or no to make it quick for you.

Cheers
GF

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

p3t3

Post Number: 1154

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 08:12 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Gamefisherman

quote:

1. If I nominate an any type of entry prior to market open tomorrow will I get the open price tomorrow morning?

Yes, because you currently do not have an open position.

quote:

2. If I nominate an LC entry prior to market open tomorrow but the trade goes against me, am I correct in saying that as long as I nominate to have the trade closed prior to market close tomorrow I will receive the closing price as my exit price?

Again, correct.

You may change the status of a pick at any time, so changing the status to "L" before the Friday close entitles you to the automatic Friday close exit. In fact you could then nominate another "LC" or "GTC" pick before the Friday close to receive that Friday close as your open price on the pick for the following week.

quote:

3. If I nominate a L entry prior to open tomorrow am I correct in assuming that as long as I change the type of entry ie from L to LC the trade entry will then carry over until next week and I will get the close for Friday for this weeks comp and next week the open price on Monday?

Not quite....your L pick before the open will set you up with an open position, and a change to LC before the close will allow the pick to be carried into next week. However while the close for the current week will be the Friday close as normal, the Friday close will also be the open price for the pick for the following week.

Thanks for the consideration in trying to provide for quick answers, but if I'm going to be doing some clarifying I'm prepared to expand the detail as necessary.

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

gamefisherman
Username: gamefisherman

Post Number: 162

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 08:58 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi p3t3

I appreciate the time you took to respond to my queries and for your prompt clarification.

Cheers
GF

Protect your capital and the rest will take care of itself with a solid trading plan that is adhered to every trade (PS THIS IS WRITTEN TO KEEP REMINDING ME TO STAY FOCUSSED AND FORGET NOISE)

msparks

Post Number: 1538

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 07:40 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

coe L

will post a chart when I can , if i can

stampy
Username: stampy

Post Number: 420

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 09:59 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stampy L STX

gdd3
Username: gdd3

Post Number: 1642

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 11:10 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dolphin, NDO, LC...please p3t3

Nice pick Stampy, "purrrhfect" TAZ set-up and confirmation on STX.

Sparksie...just wanted to let you know you can't call your Coe eee pick a TAZ...Its almost a "follow the herd lookin' for the breakout" pick isn't it???

Good tradin' to both of you with your "day trades"...remember, its Friday the 13th!"

Dolphin
}

(Message edited by gdd3 on April 13, 2012)

stampy

Post Number: 421

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 11:19 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on that note i'll take STX LC for this afternoon.

Thanks Dolphin now lets see how it pans out.

msparks

Post Number: 1539

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 12:50 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there Dolphin

I made sure it was not a proper TAZ

I am having real trouble finding a stock that is sticking its head up lately with some guts behing it to go up further.

msparks

Post Number: 1540

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 12:58 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS
besides Dolphin, why take a week or 2 to do it when you can do it in a day !!!

PSS
now it will retrace for sure

msparks

Post Number: 1541

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 01:17 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

liked these too

espresso

Post Number: 387

Friday, April 13, 2012 - 05:37 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about this one M Saprks

p3t3

Post Number: 1156

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 2, Friday :

Espresso has ended the week with quite a handy gain in TLG.
Dolphin has leapt into the silver position with an impressive move in NDO.
MSparks has demonstrated a successful "day trade", having picked a
particularly good day to try it on.

The broader picture :

I haven't lost my mind,

espresso

Post Number: 388

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 07:31 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi P3t3,
I may have missed a prior positing by Dolphin, the time stamp indicate 11.10,
cheers

p3t3

Post Number: 1157

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 11:18 am:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Espresso said : I may have missed a prior positing by Dolphin, the time stamp indicate 11.10,

Yep, pick designated "L" made on Tuesday 10th April at 9:59am, updated to "LC" on Friday April 13th at 11:10am.

What am I missing here?

best
p3t3

I haven't lost my mind,

p3t3

Post Number: 1158

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 03:11 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Week 2, no protests received.....so final outcome :

Great stock picking by Espresso, Dolphin and MSparks.

The balance of the table is perhaps a truer indication of the difficulties
faced by most traders this week, where a strong move down that lasted
until Wednesday then reversed even more violently.

I haven't lost my mind,

espresso

Post Number: 389

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 05:31 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks P3t3,
you are right, over looked dolphin posting on Tuesday.
Cheers

msparks

Post Number: 1542

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 07:09 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dolphin

I thought I had you on toast when i posted at lunch on Friday but you came home like black caviar, great work.
Well done too Expresso.I had a look at cdg, looks good in the short term chart.....

More trouble in the US on Friday night so Monday will not be much fun again unfortunately...

espresso

Post Number: 390

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 07:39 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you MSparks,
Yes Black Caviar huge 15.69% stride was extremely impressive

stampy

Post Number: 422

Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 05:06 pm:Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

STX as Dolphin pointed out was a TAZ pick

Regards
Stampy

Other Threads  
Last PosterPostsPagesLast Post
2012 March to June Challenge, Week 13 - Final Weekp3t327 30-Jun-12  06:59 pm
ABP?gamefisherman26-Jun-12  09:43 pm
2012 March to June Challenge, Week 12gamefisherman44 24-Jun-12  08:46 pm
2012 March to June Challenge, Week 11p3t324 18-Jun-12  11:40 pm
2012 March to June Challenge, Week 10p3t328 09-Jun-12  10:41 pm
2012 March to June Challenge, Week 9p3t328 03-Jun-12  02:13 am