You need to register separately on the Chart Forum
- see Chart Forum Help
Edit Profile Profile Help Help
Forum Rules Forum Rules Advanced Help/Instructions Advanced Help
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Latest Posts Latest Posts
Search Search Forum Tree View Tree View

Bollinger Bands...

Chart Forum » Indicators » Bollinger Bands...

««  Previous  Next  »»

Thread Start New Thread 
Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message
spdfgh
Username: spdfgh

Post Number: 171

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:28 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Collin for the recent email re Bollinger Bands, I haven't used them before so experimenting with them.

My question is when Bollinger bands is set with Wilder or Hull smoothing they pinch excessively and rise excessively, is this a program error or meant to happen?
Could the Bollinger histogram have smoothing also to reflect the bouncing Wilder Bollinger?
And could the Bollinger histogram have direction colours like the MACD Histogram?

colin_twiggs
Username: colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2118

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:12 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilder & Hull doesn't look right. Stick to Simple, Weighted or Exponential while I get our development team to fix the bug.

Bandwidth smoothing would defeat the object which is to highlight high/low volatility.

Likewise the Bandwidth does not highlight crossovers like on MACD, simply high/low volatility.

My views expressed on this forum do not consider your personal circumstances and should not be considered as financial advice. Please conduct your own research.

spdfgh

Post Number: 172

Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 03:03 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind the bounce, it could be usefull if it doesn't lag.

I'm trying the 20 day Bollinger Bands standard, and 13 week on the daily chart with 2 std deviation.

With the Bollinger Bandwidth indicator, what is the deviation set at? Could you add deviation settings and add smoothing options?

Thanks.

(Message edited by sPdFgH on April 06, 2017)

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2119

Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 03:19 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The default setting for Band Width is a 20-Day simple moving average with bands drawn at 2 standard deviations.

All bands contract when volatility changes, so varying the standard deviation won't make much difference unless you are using a set level as a trigger.

Smoothing BandWidth would be self-defeating as I explained earlier.

My views expressed on this forum do not consider your personal circumstances and should not be considered as financial advice. Please conduct your own research.

spdfgh

Post Number: 180

Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 03:42 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry meant Bollinger Band width histogram has no deviation settings. If the default is 2.5 upper & lower it will be out of sync with the Bollinger bands set at 2.0 upper/lower

I found this set-up to work nicely Bollinger 21d 2.0sd with a Keltner 21,21,21 ; slightly slower than Bollinger at 20. this gives a nice consistent MA set, with Bollinger upper band rising over Keltner upper band when market activity increases.
Have back tested about 20 stocks and it appears to be solid signal combination; buys as well as sells. MACD >0 & Histogram rises & falls over 3 bar period for confirmation. Combined with Hiekin Ashi candles, Twiggs Money Flow seems to cover the ground quite well.
Chart below is not a cleanly trending stock chosen for the display of the signal set in choppy periods:

spdfgh

Post Number: 183

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 10:02 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been tweaking stock screen scans for years now, and not once have produced anything as consistent as Collin's recent Bollinger Band Trends (#90489 on the Shared tab)
Thanks for sharing.

I have a query re the trend duration and the optimized entry point to capture the bulk of the trend. I guess with most of the stocks results the common thing is the MACD crossing the signal above zero, if you can get that trade in place you can't go wrong.

One thing I have noticed with the scan results is the Bollinger band spread is at a wide point ie at the top of a cycle? to get into a trade at the lowest of the cycle (pinch point) what adjustment could be made to the scan? it seams a simple answer but the BBW width histogram varies in index from stock to stock making it difficult to pin down to a max BBW setting.

(Message edited by sPdFgH on May 10, 2017)

canam
Username: canam

Post Number: 35

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 06:28 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi sPdFgH - what do you mean by (#90489 on the Shared tab) ?

Profits are the bi-product of your system - Following your system is the goal!!

colin_twiggs

Post Number: 2135

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:26 am:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

canam,

Select Securities >> Stock Screens on the chart menu.
Select the Shared tab and scroll or use the Search function to find ID #90489.

Shared Tab

canam
Username: canam

Post Number: 36

Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 11:43 pm:Copy highlighted text to 'New Message' boxEdit Post Delete Post Print Post    View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Colin - I'll check it out.....

Profits are the bi-product of your system - Following your system is the goal!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Threads by Last Post Time:

First 0 1 2 3 4 Next Last

Administration Administration   Log Out Log Out    

««  Previous  Next  »»